Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 4:23:11 PM EDT
So we use typical carbine ARs at work, my personal weapon is a Block 2 Clone.  And for what its worth, im by no means weak, I don't bitch about the weight, but the fact is I can snap the barrel around to target with the 7" carbine faster than the nose heavy block 2.  The Block II has better recoil mitigation due to the better hand location, but aside from that thats about it.  Its easier to keep tighter to concealment with the carbine, and for those of you that have had to use gun ports, the block 2 leaves the port open much more for somebody to sneak a round into it.  Anybody else going back to the 1.5 PR type builds for duty weapons? HD weapons?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I wanted a fast handling AR for tight applications so I SBR'd a lower and built a 10.3" upper.  

If that's not an option then I would have had no issue at all swapping the handguard out for something shorter like a Centurion FSB cut out rail and having the barrel cut down to 14.7" and a A2 pinned.  

Prior to the SBR I did have a 14.5" (pinned 16") that I put a FSB cut out rail on and I still have it configured because it's lighter than a quad rail and easy to manipulate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
swapped a 12" to a CASV on my 14.5 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I just dropped the 12" Midwest Industries rail w/16" Spikes barrel; for a 14.5" carbine gas barrel with a standard "F" marked fsb and Magpul hand guards...  The FF rail/barrel on the Recce was really nice and so was the 3x9x40mm scope with Troy BUIS' but... I generally don't shoot past 200 yards and rarely enough to 300 yards. My carbines and middies shoot well and accurate at those ranges so I'm selling the rail, front BUIS', and optics and I won't be going back. The handiness of a lightweight, fast, and accurate 14.5" barreled rifle is much more beneficial to me for recreation, HD, and SHTF scenarios...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I went from almost all "long" rails to almost all FSB sighted guns.

Why? Better balance, sturdy gas block, cheaper, and I can shoot them just as well.

I also think the long rails are also more cumbersome, and act as a long lever that could get damaged.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So we use typical carbine ARs at work, my personal weapon is a Block 2 Clone.  And for what its worth, im by no means weak, I don't bitch about the weight, but the fact is I can snap the barrel around to target with the 7" carbine faster than the nose heavy block 2.  The Block II has better recoil mitigation due to the better hand location, but aside from that thats about it.  Its easier to keep tighter to concealment with the carbine, and for those of you that have had to use gun ports, the block 2 leaves the port open much more for somebody to sneak a round into it.  Anybody else going back to the 1.5 PR type builds for duty weapons? HD weapons?
View Quote
Have you tried a LW 12" railed AR15 like one that is 8 pounds loaded cause you can snap those babies pretty damn fast.

I do want a FSB 14.5 PR/1.5 though as It's my favorite U.S Military carbine.

ETA: If I added a DBAL to my setup it would only be around 8.5 pounds loaded which is very light when you think about whats on my carbine. Aimpoint T1, SF EAG Fury, DBAL, 13" modular rail.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
after playing with my personal block II M4gery for a while and then having to use a standard M4 at work I was pretty pissed off. There isn't enough room to hold on to the weapon effectively with the carbine length system when you add all the mission essential gear the rifle will be wearing like your white light and PEQ.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went from almost all "long" rails to almost all FSB sighted guns.

Why? Better balance, sturdy gas block, cheaper, and I can shoot them just as well.

I also think the long rails are also more cumbersome, and act as a long lever that could get damaged.

View Quote

I agree with you 101%. After mulling it over since the start of this thread... I probably won't sell my MI rail, Troy front BUIS, or Burris 3x9x40mm scope as I previously stated. I'll build it back into a Recce with the spare Spikes receiver set I have for my one and only dedicated Recce long range 16" barreled rifle. But it will be my only rifle with a barrel longer than 14.5 inches, without a standard FSB, and with a FF rail...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My "go to" gun lately has been a pinned 14.5" lightweight carbine with a DDM4 rail.
I seem to prefer it over the 12" and above railed rifles I have.

Sometimes less is more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#9]
i never left..carbine gas and ras
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wanted a fast handling AR for tight applications so I SBR'd a lower and built a 10.3" upper.  

If that's not an option then I would have had no issue at all swapping the handguard out for something shorter like a Centurion FSB cut out rail and having the barrel cut down to 14.7" and a A2 pinned.  

Prior to the SBR I did have a 14.5" (pinned 16") that I put a FSB cut out rail on and I still have it configured because it's lighter than a quad rail and easy to manipulate.
View Quote

I just built a 10.3" pistol for my wife that I am going to SBR.

After shooting my Block II for two years it is strange going back to a fixed FSB. It feels super light and maneuverable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#11]
No. I have a melted spot on a jacket from a hot barrel, and I like to mount my lights & lasers as far out as possible.
I do have a 70s CAR that is bone stock if I want something light that has no night capabilities.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
after playing with my personal block II M4gery for a while and then having to use a standard M4 at work I was pretty pissed off. There isn't enough room to hold on to the weapon effectively with the carbine length system when you add all the mission essential gear the rifle will be wearing like your white light and PEQ.
View Quote

This right here.

The only reason that I have a standard M4 upper and KAC rail is because that is what I use at work.  I much prefer, and would use if I could, my Block II.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned both styles for years. I find myself slowly converting them over to full length rails. My favorite rifle has a 12 inch daniel defense rail over a 14.5 inch barrel.  I prefer to mount my lights out on the left side of the rail in front of my hand and I like the longer sight radius the rail provides.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I like both, and everything in between.

Admittedly, most of my rifles are 12" plus in the HG, but my Bump In The Night rifle is a 14.5 with a carbine quad.

This is only until my can comes home
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

If I didn't have a light and IR laser there wouldn't be much of a need for a 12"+ rail. I also like the longer rails for taking supported shots. even the extra 2" on a mk18 RIS II makes a big difference to me. You just run out of room otherwise.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The first AR I built was carbine gas, 7" HG, FSB. Have since sold that upper.

Next was carbine gas, 12" HG, shaved FSB.

Recently I built a truck gun with a KAC carbine RAS.

The two feel different, to be sure, but honestly I like them both. I do feel like I have a little more control with my hand out a little further.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The fixed front sight base setup is sturdy and inexpensive. Long rails provide more real estate for accessories, and it free floats. I have, use, and like both.

Perhaps switch out your quad rail for a lighter modular rail, like the BCM KMR or Noveske NSR.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top