Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2014 5:01:15 PM EDT
My Larue Tactical Predatar has an issue.  I left the gun locked open for about 3 days now and i took it out of my safe and tried to release the carrier and its just stuck back.  The charging handle goes back but feels like mush, and the release lever is in the position it would be if the carrier were in the forward locked position.  

The guns been fired around 1,600 rounds and has been cleaned twice.  It has never jammed or failed to fire for any reason....any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Hold the bolt catch down and tap it on the floor a few times.

Only thing I could imagine is the buffer spring retaining pin popped up and is hold the spring back.

Curious to see what the problem is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My Larue Tactical Predatar has an issue.  I left the gun locked open for about 3 days now and i took it out of my safe and tried to release the carrier and its just stuck back.  The charging handle goes back but feels like mush, and the release lever is in the position it would be if the carrier were in the forward locked position.  

The guns been fired around 1,600 rounds and has been cleaned twice.  It has never jammed or failed to fire for any reason....any ideas?
View Quote

it's ruined. Send it this way for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Cpd I owe you a beer.  I didn't even have to hold the catch down I just had to smack the butt of the stock and the bolt locked forward.  I'm going to break it down to make sure there aren't any parts failures I'll update later.  Many thanks for the quick response.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Losd it's on its way I'll send you the tracking number later tonight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Losd it's on its way I'll send you the tracking number later tonight.
View Quote

Ummmmm....got any more malfunctioning firearms you could send MY way???  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It just had way too much carbon built up.  What are people's favorite lubes for ars?  I only cleaned it with break free I.never lubed it properly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It just had way too much carbon built up.  What are people's favorite lubes for ars?  I only cleaned it with break free I.never lubed it properly.
View Quote

thats all i use is clp

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Mpro 7 is what i have used. 1000s of rounds and never a problem
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

FIREClean. Amazon, Brownells, and LaRue all have it in stock. It's the bee's knees.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Slip2k.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FIREClean. Amazon, Brownells, and LaRue all have it in stock. It's the bee's knees.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_100011426_1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This stuff is in its own realm. And I've used all of the "it" lubes and cleaners over the years. Nothing can even compete with FireClean.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This stuff is in its own realm. And I've used all of the "it" lubes and cleaners over the years. Nothing can even compete with FireClean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously. It's the cats meow.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for Fireclean. I used it side-by-side with M Pro7 a few weeks back because I used to really like that stuff, absolutely no comparison. If you haven't tried it out yet, get some.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Another vote for Fireclean. I used it side-by-side with M Pro7 a few weeks back because I used to really like that stuff, absolutely no comparison. If you haven't tried it out yet, get some.
View Quote

I haven't tried it and I definitely will but IIRC, Fireclean didn't do a great job on a corrosion test someone did around here.  He tested a few different things one being Fireclean.  Then "someone" didn't like the results of the test and forced him to remove the data from the post (which bothers me much more than the results to be honest).  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I just use motor oil Mobil 1 10w-30 same thing I run in my cars.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just use motor oil Mobil 1 10w-30 same thing I run in my cars.
View Quote

Any oil is better than no oil I say.
Took a carbine class several weeks ago and a lady had a new daniel defense rifle. She was having
difficulty with ftf and mag changes. Looked at rifle and it looked bone dry to me, so I offered to
spray some clp in it. I think it ran better after that. Other students rifles looked dry too.
I like to run mine wet and just carry a rag to wipe down.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I haven't tried it and I definitely will but IIRC, Fireclean didn't do a great job on a corrosion test someone did around here.  He tested a few different things one being Fireclean.  Then "someone" didn't like the results of the test and forced him to remove the data from the post (which bothers me much more than the results to be honest).  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure about the corrosion test you speak of, but I fairly recently watched a corrosion test video posted on another forum that had FireClean emerge as the victor - and all of the "it" lubes were involved in the test.

Vickers posted an insanely glowing review about his recent endorsement of FireClean as well. I think that's the same thread I found someone else post that corrosion test video in.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Transmission fluid. This is why...

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

BreakFree CLP has worked well for me, I see no reason to use anything else for lube.

I'm using the older, non-aerosol version mostly, however I do carry the spray can in the range box JIC.

I have not used FireClean, but have read good things about it, and Slip 2000's products.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Another FIREClean vote here.  The stuff just works...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I switched to MPro 7...love it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in the cold.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Royal Purple  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30, 10w-30, or 10w-40
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have switched all my cleaning and lubrication over to Mil-Comm products and haven't looked back.

It never made sense to me to put a cleaner in the same bottle as a lubricant.

Back when I used CLP, I became aware of Breakfree LP, it is the same lubricant without the cleaner. For years I used Hoppes #9 and LP , but nothing has worked as well as the Mil-Comm products. It isn't cheap but quality seldom is.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top