Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 7:31:26 PM EDT
I posted this in the Armory SBR thread with no responses.  So I thought I would post it here. Mods please delete if dupe is not allowed.

I bought a new Daniel Defense MK18 mod 1 upper to run in a RR Colt M16A1 when it gets out of NFA jail. I took my factory 10.5 Swithcblock Noveske SBR and put this upper on it. The Noveske has had several thousand rounds through it without a single issue. I took the DD MK18 upper removed the birdcage and replaced it with a AAC blackout flash hider to run my AAC M4-2000. The first shot out of this DD upper was a slam fire, or a three round burst to be more accurate. I immediately checked the FCG which is a Giessiele SSA-E. Hammer locks back all is good. Re assemble the next shot is another slam fire or 3 round burst (I found the brass, this is how I know how many rounds were fired in each burst)  I took the upper off and replaced the Noveske 10.5 CQB upper back on and it ran perfectly. I have not shot the DD upper again, nor will I until I have some answers. I will contact DD on Monday but for the life of me I don't see how the upper could cause this. I did also check the firing pin and it was loose as it should be. Any speculation as to how the upper can cause this? Possibly the BCG is sitting too high to fully depress the hammer and engage the sear? I don't see how this could be possible though.

I would also add this is not an ammunition issue.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the firing pin have movement?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does the firing pin have movement?
View Quote
Yes the firing pin is loose like it should be.  I did not remove it but holding the bolt so it cannot move in the carrier, I shook it back and forth and I can hear the firing pin sliding back and forth.  It sounds the same as the bolt in the Noveske upper.

ETA: there is no visible firing pin protrusion on the boltface either.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the recoil feel like? Is it abusive at all?

Swap over the carrier with all the other components the same. Fire both uppers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What's the recoil feel like? Is it abusive at all?
View Quote
It is, but I don't know if it is the recoil so much or the cyclic action movement but it is noticeably sharper and rougher than normal.  I did fire 4 rounds after the second slamfire burst with a single round loaded in the mag.  I attributed the sharpness to the supressor and lack of selectable gas block, over gassing possibly.  However all rounds ejected fine, bolt locked back on the singles, brass was ejected at 2:30.  H2 buffer and std carbine spring in the Noveske.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with trying the other BCG and seeing if the problem persists.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I agree with trying the other BCG and seeing if the problem persists.
View Quote
I will do that in the morning.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm wondering if the rearward movement of the carrier is violent enough to cause the hammer to come off the disconnector. I've seen it before, but not in 5.56 guns. A suppressed DD MK18 is going to be severely overgassed. Try a heavier buffer setup to see if it slows down.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if the rearward movement of the carrier is violent enough to cause the hammer to come off the disconnector. I've seen it before, but not in 5.56 guns. A suppressed DD MK18 is going to be severely overgassed. Try a heavier buffer setup to see if it slows down.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Just to verify, it's an M16 lower that's in NFA jail, correct? It doesn't make sense for a semi lower to do this with one upper and not another.  I'm leaning towards something with the gas system/bcg.  

1.  Maybe swap out the BCG from the Noveske or another upper that you know doesn't have issues and see if you can replicate it or if it works properly.  If it works properly, a new Bolt or complete BCG is in order and Daniel Defense should give you one.  If it still fires in burst with a different BCG, maybe gas port or gas tube?

2.  What is the burst like? Is it evenly timed like an actual select fire or is it completely random/feels like it is malfunctioning?

3.  What setting are you using on the switchblock upper (Normal or Suppressed)?

4.  What is your buffer set up? Maybe go with an H2 and a more powerful spring like a Sprinco

I certainly wouldn't fire that DD upper as is at a range if it's going rogue and shooting 3 round burst.  If the wrong person sees it you can go from the M16 lower being in NFA jail to you being in Federal jail

Bonus - Pick up a Geissele SSF when you get the lower
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like bolt bounce to me, as mentioned. The heavier buffer, perhaps a different recoil spring would be the first thing I try.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just to verify, it's an M16 lower that's in NFA jail, correct? It doesn't make sense for a semi lower to do this with one upper and not another.  I'm leaning towards something with the gas system/bcg.   he will be putting it on a RR, but the problem currently lies with it being used an an SBR lower.This problem still only get worse if he tries to run it on auto

1.  Maybe swap out the BCG from the Noveske or another upper that you know doesn't have issues and see if you can replicate it or if it works properly.  If it works properly, a new Bolt or complete BCG is in order and Daniel Defense should give you one.  If it still fires in burst with a different BCG, maybe gas port or gas tube? [He should absolutely try swapping the boot and carrier between the 2, but i have serious doubts that will be the issue.

2.  What is the burst like? Is it evenly timed like an actual select fire or is it completely random/feels like it is malfunctioning?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just to verify, it's an M16 lower that's in NFA jail, correct? It doesn't make sense for a semi lower to do this with one upper and not another.  I'm leaning towards something with the gas system/bcg.   he will be putting it on a RR, but the problem currently lies with it being used an an SBR lower.This problem still only get worse if he tries to run it on auto

1.  Maybe swap out the BCG from the Noveske or another upper that you know doesn't have issues and see if you can replicate it or if it works properly.  If it works properly, a new Bolt or complete BCG is in order and Daniel Defense should give you one.  If it still fires in burst with a different BCG, maybe gas port or gas tube? [He should absolutely try swapping the boot and carrier between the 2, but i have serious doubts that will be the issue.

Quoted:
Sounds like bolt bounce to me, as mentioned. The heavier buffer, perhaps a different recoil spring would be the first thing I try.

On a semi lower it can't be "bolt bounce". "Bolt bounce" is a timing issue where the hammer falls on its own due to auto sear engagement as the carrier moves rearward. Semi guns can experience bolt bounce, but it's not going to create a full auto situation as the hammer is still on the disconnector while the bolt is bouncing rearward.

OP, put a regular semi trigger group in your lower. I bet the light hammer springs of the SSA-E combined with the severe over gassing is causing the hammer to slip of the disconnector when the bolt goes into battery.

If this happens I'd try a standard SSA for its heavier springs and upping the buffer weight.

Id also see if the LMT enhanced carrier helps out at all. This carrier won't unlock as quickly as a standard carrier. This drops the pressure and the speed which the carrier starts moving at.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I wanted to verify since he mentioned an M16 lower
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are lots of examples of bolt bounce on semi guns. Just go look at You Tube.

View Quote

Do these bolt bounce issues cause slam fires? Or just lead to a dead trigger?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm headed out shortly to try some of the suggestions.  To answer a few posed questions

Moose, yes the FA lower is awaiting tax stamp.  

The burst is just like a select fire FA 3 round burst, smooth as silk.

Joe, I am running a H2 buffer (I don't have a heavier buffer on hand) and std carbine spring.  I changed out the spring with a springco heavy red spring.  I took the firing pin out of the carrier and all looked fine.  I'm going to take an extra BCG if the spring does not change things.  I will also run the DD BCG in another upper if needed.  

I live on several hundred acres and am not worried about the wrong person seeing an accidental FA burst.  That's said I also don't want to shoot it if there is a safety issue or intentionally shooting it knowing it is going to go FA.

Thanks for the suggestions headed out to see what happens now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm headed out shortly to try some of the suggestions.  To answer a few posed questions

Moose, yes the FA lower is awaiting tax stamp.  
The burst is just like a select fire FA 3 round burst, smooth as silk.

Joe, I am running a H2 buffer (I don't have a heavier buffer on hand) and std carbine spring.  I changed out the spring with a springco heavy red spring.  I took the firing pin out of the carrier and all looked fine.  I'm going to take an extra BCG if the spring does not change things.  I will also run the DD BCG in another upper if needed.  

I live on several hundred acres and am not worried about the wrong person seeing an accidental FA burst.  That's said I also don't want to shoot it if there is a safety issue or intentionally shooting it knowing it is going to go FA.

Thanks for the suggestions headed out to see what happens now.
View Quote

Do you happen to have a shot timer? I'm curious what the ROF is on the 3-rd bursts.

If it's a result of overgassing and the H2 buffer isn't helpling, then it's REALLY over-gassed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
A ssa-e on hard recoiling gun (mk18 supressed) might be you inadvertently bump firing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats on the NFA purchase, you'll love it!

If I were you I'd contact DD either way, since you'll be putting it (a brand new upper) on a $20k+ lower.  It shouldn't have those issues out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Congrats on the NFA purchase, you'll love it!

If I were you I'd contact DD either way, since you'll be putting it (a brand new upper) on a $20k+ lower.  It shouldn't have those issues out of the box.
View Quote
Thanks for the congrats, yes it is still a long wait yet, I figured getting the MK18 set up and work all the bugs out now would kill some time.  

I just shot two 20 round magazines through the DD MK18 upper.

The only change was replacing the White springco spring with a red Springco spring.  H2 buffer and M4-2000 supressor on same lower.  No slamfire a today.  I am going to put more through it but I have to say severe over gassing had to be the issue. The rifle is still overgassed, the recoil is still more violent and rough than is should be.  Advice?  Orange spring or H3 buffer or both?  Without the supressor the recoil is normal, the same as all my other 556 SBRs.  Thanks for all the advice already posted.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
bolt bounce cause a auto upper NOT to fire
did you function check it?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There are lots of examples of bolt bounce on semi guns. Just go look at You Tube.
View Quote

but the dont cause a semi gun not to fire unless your jerry miculec

function check the gun, that will tell you whats happen despite all the "advice" from the peanut galley

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a FA upper on a semi lower.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Why haven't you contacted Daniel Defense yet?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Call Sprinco - they'll offer advice and are good at.  The 'strongest' combo I've used is a Red Spring and H3 buffer on a 7.5" Pistol Length Gas System.  Run H2/Red in a Colt M4 14.5", H/White in a lot of mids, H2/Blue in a few mids.  If the Red is working, 99% it's overgassing, gas port is probably too large.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that post shows you have no idea what your talking about. Stop.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying that a an overgassed carbine with FA BCG could never have a problem with a semi FCG causing this problem? No need to be rude. Give me the benefit of your extensive experience.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh. There are two things that a URG needs to be auto that aren't always present on a semi gun so there is in fact a distinction.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I've heard of doubling on semi-lowers before. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. Thing is, it might run just fine on the RR. I'm wondering now what kind of hammer he's running.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well, I've heard of doubling on semi-lowers before. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. Thing is, it might run just fine on the RR. I'm wondering now what kind of hammer he's running.
View Quote

He's using the hammer that comes with the SSA-E.

Doubling happens, but it's usually due to incorrect disconnector installation.

I seriously doubt it will work on the RR, because it's not functioning in S/A.

The upper is a DD MK18, a notoriously overgased gun to begin with.
He's added a can, which over gases the gun to begin with.
He's also said the recoil is abusive.
He's using an SSA-E, a very light trigger with very light springs.

What's most likely happening:
When an AR cycles it affects all the parts. In this case, it's cycling so hard that it's causing the disconnector to vibrate. The SSA-E uses lighter springs to reduce the pull, and in this case it's not holding the hammer in place and the hammer is slipping off the disconnector before the trigger is released by the shooter.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a wilson combat trigger in my mk18 that will do this if you limp wrist the pistol grip. The combo of the lightweight trigger and extra gas from the suppressor  cause it. The issue goes away without the can. I first noticed it when zeroing an optic on the bench with sand bags. I wasn't gripping the pistol grip just laid my hand against it to manipulate the trigger. It startled the hell out of me.  In trying to diagnose the issue I realized I was actually bump firing the rifle. The super short reset of the wilson greatly enables the effect. I could see the same thing happening with a geissele. .
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

When an AR cycles it affects all the parts. In this case, it's cycling so hard that it's causing the disconnector to vibrate. The SSA-E uses lighter springs to reduce the pull, and in this case it's not holding the hammer in place and the hammer is slipping off the disconnector before the trigger is released by the shooter.

http://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/547x800/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/s/u/super-semi-automatic-e-trigger-pi.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/547x800/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/s/u/super-semi-automatic-e-trigger-pi.jpg
Joe that is a good explanation and I believe you are spot on, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. Thanks all for the help and opinions everyone.  

Caroline, thank you for the information and I will be in contact sometime today.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of good points here.  There is also a good possibility he is bumping the trigger slightly due to the extra recoil from the over gassed upper and setting the trigger off.

How long is the reset on a SSA-E?  SD3G is about .06 in, I doubt the SSA-E reset is over .1 in.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
Bolt bounce will cause a dead gun as the bolt carrier will bounce open slightly at the same time the hammer falls, the hammer will then follow the carrier back into battery without enough energy to set off the primer.

For more reading on timing issues on semi auto guns I would read this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/655109_BumpSAW_Bump_IAR_Picture_Video_and_theoretical_discussion_thread_.html

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

A lot of good points here.  There is also a good possibility he is bumping the trigger slightly due to the extra recoil from the over gassed upper and setting the trigger off.

How long is the reset on a SSA-E?  SD3G is about .06 in, I doubt the SSA-E reset is over .1 in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It could have been the issue, never say never, but I really don't believe so. For one, it was not just a single additional round, secondly the perceived recoil after adding a red spring is the same, while it probably reduced the vibration that was keeping the FCG from functioning correctly, I don't believe this would have stopped me from tripling the rifle with my trigger control. ATA this burst was fast, F A  S T  as fast or faster than any M16 I have ever fired, literally Mini Uzi fast if that's even possible. Thanks for the input.

Also, another member here running this same upper FA said he is using an H3 buffer with a blue spring and a surefire can which has less back pressure than the M4-2000. The ROF is slower but it functions flawlessly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So you're saying that a an overgassed carbine with FA BCG could never have a problem with a semi FCG causing this problem? No need to be rude. Give me the benefit of your extensive experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only difference between the two is the configuration of the carrier tail. One has more meat the other doesn't.  On a semi lower the carrier in no way contacts anything in the lower.  There is no relationship between the two that would matter if the carrier was auto or semi cut.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I bet It's not disconnector bounce. The ssa-e being a two stage isn't really sitting at the end of the engagement surfaces. I say its inadvertent bump fire.

That said, an ssa-e on a mk18 is silly for a number of reasons. A precision-ish trigger on a cqb sbr is kinda meh.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I bet It's not disconnector bounce. The ssa-e being a two stage isn't really sitting at the end of the engagement surfaces. I say its inadvertent bump fire.

That said, an ssa-e on a mk18 is silly for a number of reasons. A precision-ish trigger on a cqb sbr is kinda meh.
View Quote
I appreciate the reply, however it was not a bump fire. As far as the SSA E being silly on a MK18.  As I stated above this is not the lower and FCG that will be the permanent home for this upper.  It will be used on a RR Colt M16A1 with a SSF FCG.  As I said above I do not have the reciever as the stamp is not approved yet.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great explanation, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I own a Colt registered SBR lower and once had it paired with not a MK18 upper but a DD 10.3" standard front sight post barrel with Colt carbine (skinny) handguards. Same thing for the purpose of this discussion.

I also own an AAC M4-2000 can. Rarely (never these days) do the two ever meet. Though I have always run a standard Mil-Spec FCG, and no doubt it's over gassed it runs perfect. I wouldn't even waste time sending your new DD upper back to Daniel Defense as there's nothing defective with it. As I am sure you have realized through the previous discussion it's the combination of an over gassed barrel and the light pull trigger combo that's causing your troubles.

Oh, the reason my AAC can never sees my 10.3" DD barreled upper? It's loud as hell to my ears. A 10.3" barrel is extremely hard to quiet down but the real noise COMES FROM THE EJECTION PORT. Besides I'm no "operator" so I do more or less practical things like placing the can on my 20" barreled Remington 700 precision rifle. Talk about quiet that is a very nice and practical combination. Also your combination is very hard on parts. With the price of transferable M16 rifles these days I'm pretty sure I would not pound the hell out of mine with an over gassed barrel and super over gassing it by putting a can on it. Not for me, no way.

Was I you (and I'm not) I'd fire the M16 with your shiny new DD MK18 upper naked without a can and let it be loud in all it's 10.3" glory!

Good luck, be safe and have fun.  IMHO, cans don't belong on 10" rifles....unless of course you're an operator.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A ssa-e on hard recoiling gun (mk18 supressed) might be you inadvertently bump firing.
View Quote

This is my guess. Try to pay special attention to the trigger pull and see if this is it?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top