Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2014 6:20:46 PM EDT
I am thinking about buying M&P Sporter Ar15. they are running 550.00. should I cut off top of  front sight ?  top of front sight gets in the way looking through a larger scope and blocks the scope at night when I am night hunting. also what kind of groups u guys getting at 100 yards with factory ammo ? thanks. marty
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure. cut it off. use a dremil and hi-temp BBQ spray paint.

you should expect in the neighborhood of 3-4 MOA with factory ammo if you do your part.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Man I was hoping for better accuracy on this gun. I guess 1.5 moa with a scope is asking too much ? marty
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Cutting off the top of the FSB looks so ghetto and retarded IF your not putting a free float rail over it. YMMV... I've never had a problem looking thru a 3x9x40 scope with an FSB in tact as it zooms right past it. Not being critical, but what are you hunting at night, hogs??? An M&P Sport is a fine rifle for the money and more than capable than 99% of all shooters behind it...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man I was hoping for better accuracy on this gun. I guess 1.5 moa with a scope is asking too much ? marty
View Quote

It's capable of that IF your a good shot and using match ammo. What ranges are you shooting at, at night, looking for 1.5MOA? 100-150 yards???
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave it alone, get some magnification and look past the FSB.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am thinking about buying M&P Sporter Ar15. they are running 550.00. should I cut off top of  front sight ?  top of front sight gets in the way looking through a larger scope and blocks the scope at night when I am night hunting. also what kind of groups u guys getting at 100 yards with factory ammo ? thanks. marty
View Quote

Is your big scope a big 1x red dot?

If not, what magnification exactly is the FSB getting in the way at?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
will I have put a Nikon 5-20x44 on a ar15 in the past with a front sight on it and it did not work for me at higher power both day and night hunting for coyotes.. what I do is I attach my nightforce light to top of scope and the light interfers with the front sight ( blocks cross hairs and sight picture while looking through scope ) . I was just going to set this gun for night hunting only and just wondering if by cutting the top of sight down would it impact how gun shoots etc. not too worried what it looks like for a 550.00 gun. but I do need something that will shoot 1.5 moa with factory ammo. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a little nicer gun. marty
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sure. cut it off. use a dremil and hi-temp BBQ spray paint.

you should expect in the neighborhood of 3-4 MOA with factory ammo if you do your part.
View Quote

^^^This is what I did. I could see the FSB with the P-223 3x32. Shoots better than that with good ammo though.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
kleinman... thanks for the photo. man you did a great job on that sight. I can not even tell the front sight was even there. thanks. marty
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Cutting the FSB can look good if you take your time and do a nice job. I'd rather have a factory pinned GB than a screw/clamp on.
Which factory ammo are you expecting 1.5 MOA from.

Here's one I did last year

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
will I have put a Nikon 5-20x44 on a ar15 in the past with a front sight on it and it did not work for me at higher power both day and night hunting for coyotes.. what I do is I attach my nightforce light to top of scope and the light interfers with the front sight ( blocks cross hairs and sight picture while looking through scope ) . I was just going to set this gun for night hunting only and just wondering if by cutting the top of sight down would it impact how gun shoots etc. not too worried what it looks like for a 550.00 gun. but I do need something that will shoot 1.5 moa with factory ammo. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a little nicer gun. marty
View Quote

Rather than buying a "nicer gun" it would be cheaper for you to remove the FSB, put on a low-pro gas block, and a free float rail of your choosing. Just a thought... This is exactly what I would do. Midwest Industries has some very good quality gas blocks and rails. I would go that route before I would buy another rifle for sure... I built my Recce with Midwest parts and it's a 1.5 to 2MOA rifle with Hornady 75 grain and Black Hills ammo for sure... and for about $350 total cost: with a Troy front BUIS even...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cutting the FSB can look good if you take your time and do a nice job...

Here's one I did last year...
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/12463318684_bed0aa6845_o.png
View Quote

Nice job FONTY.

I cut mine off and covered it completely with a free float tube eventually.

I also removed the front sight taper pins in favor of set screws in an effort to minimize any accuracy affecting stress on the barrel the pins MIGHT have caused.

Don't know if the pin removal helped but the AR is pretty accurate overall so...

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha this is what I was thinking... i get a LITTLE BIT of shadow at 4x but +6x.... nah

What dremel bits do yall use to cut the FSB... i have an upper that i am going to cut the FSB into a low-pro block instead of buying a set screw lopro block?  It will be my first go at this.  I assume I am not completely hijacking the thread since the OP also wants to do this.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually used a small hacksaw. I've done a few. This takes a little longer, but made for a clean cut. I myself have issues with dremil cutting disks getting too short or blowing apart requiring me to stop and start the cut (I get sloppy and impatient when this happens).

The carpet in my pic gives the illusion that it is not straight, but if you realize the three dark spots in the middle of it are textures from the carpet it is quite straight. It worked very well as well as the grill paint. I have rapid fired this upper with a Slidefire and it is still holding up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

haha this is what I was thinking... i get a LITTLE BIT of shadow at 4x but +6x.... nah

What dremel bits do yall use to cut the FSB... i have an upper that i am going to cut the FSB into a low-pro block instead of buying a set screw lopro block?  It will be my first go at this.  I assume I am not completely hijacking the thread since the OP also wants to do this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one in front of a 1-4, and it doesn't bother me at all.  His reasoning behind that light he is using explained it better.

Just use the dremel metal cutting disks, they work just fine for chopping, and the use a stone to smooth it out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
That rifle has a melonite barrel with excellent in house manufacturing.  It is capable of close to MOA accuracy with good ammo.  S&W may have cut some corners on the lack of dust cover and forward assist on the Sport model to keep cost down, but those barrels, even the current 1:9 without 5R rifling, are producing very good accuracy with bullets under 70 grains.

As others have said leave the front sight alone.  You will not see it with a 3-9x scope or higher.  If your illumination is producing a reflection off the sight, I understand.  Go ahead and cut the sight if you do not plan to use it.  That will not affect accuracy through the scope.  If you decide to free float the barrel, you can cut it then or go with a low pro gas block under the free float rail.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cutting off the top of the FSB looks so ghetto and retarded IF your not putting a free float rail over it. ...
View Quote

Agreed
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally don't like the look of a cut down FSB when its exposed no matter how well its done.  If I were to scope up an AR and cut down the FSB, I would go the extra step, cut off the hand guard cap, delta ring and get something like this..

http://www.skdtac.com/VTAC-Extreme-BattleRail-13-p/vkg.209.htm

It would cover up the cut down FSB and free float your upper, which is something I think matters way more when using a scope.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#19]
With any scope over about 4X you will not see the front sight base.  Here's one I cut down for a recent build.  It is covered by the handguard but is not too ugly when exposed.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rather than buying a "nicer gun" it would be cheaper for you to remove the FSB, put on a low-pro gas block trim the front sight post, and a free float rail of your choosing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Or mount the light on the handguard where it should be. Even with 2x scopes I don't see the FSb, but then again I don't ghetto mount the light to the scope
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
With any scope over about 4X you will not see the front sight base.  Here's one I cut down for a recent build.  It is covered by the handguard but is not too ugly when exposed.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Gas_Block1.jpg
View Quote

Wow, sir you have done the best cut job I've ever seen. I'll retract my above statement a little bit now. I still like the FSB covered 100% but you really did a nice job with the smooth lines and the refinish job...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rather than buying a "nicer gun" it would be cheaper for you to remove the FSB, put on a low-pro gas block trim the front sight post, and a free float rail of your choosing.

Or that... I've had great results with the MI low pro GB, (3) set screw holding its exact position. The witness marks show zero movement in (5) years and running hard with hot ammo... When installed correct, torquing the set screws to the upper end of the torque spec, AND it's totally covered by the rail; the low pro gas block works very well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude I have no idea what twist you have and am too lazy to look but I have a bushy Patrolman that I once had a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 on and it was sub with 62 grain penetrator. Idk why but it ate that mess like it was nothing. And federal 55 was 1.5 Moa and 50 was 4 Moa lol. I know doesn't make sense but...take your time and just find an anmo it likes. Don't discount cheap ammo because it's cheap. Every gun is different. And just hack off the dang fsb. Looks good to me if you take your time. But would be even better if handguard is ran past it. My .02
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

angle grinder works much better than a dremel.

even if you don;t have one $30 spent at home depot is worth my time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Cutting down the fsb is a no going back proposition. Lots of miles with an Eotech and it's gets to where you don't notice the fsb.  That Sporter cuts corners and you won't miss the few bucks it will take to move up. My .02 worth.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Individual rifles will vary a bit , Triggers in lower priced guns are usually fairly rough . If you do some trigger upgrades and search out some ammo that is  better than ball you might get down towards what you hope for . Of course shooter skill plays into this number also . Some of the lighter sporter rifles have the capability but it is pretty tricky to hold them in nice groups
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Can't really comment on the accuracy other than to say that if you want 1 - 1.5 moa accuracy, you'll need to be shooting ammo that is capable of that or better, and much of the cheaper factory ammo is going to struggle to hold those groups.

As far as the FSB, you shouldn't be seeing it through a magnified scope, and it sounds to me like your light placement is the culprit here. It is lighting that FSB up like nothing else, but if you move the light into a better position (handguard) you will most likely eliminate the problem. Either that ,which is what I would do, or maybe consider a small riser that will get the scope out from behind the FSB a bit. You may have to adjust your cheek-rest, if you slap a riser on it. If you really don't care about the FSB, then just chop it, but I personally like a FSB if the gun isn't running a long handguard that covers the GB.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cutting down the fsb is a no going back proposition. Lots of miles with an Eotech and it's gets to where you don't notice the fsb.  That Sporter cuts corners and you won't miss the few bucks it will take to move up. My .02 worth.
View Quote

Please tell us what important corners that would be, particularly regarding accuracy.  I have an inquiring mind.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Individual rifles will vary a bit , Triggers in lower priced guns are usually fairly rough . If you do some trigger upgrades and search out some ammo that is  better than ball you might get down towards what you hope for . Of course shooter skill plays into this number also . Some of the lighter sporter rifles have the capability but it is pretty tricky to hold them in nice groups
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What knowledge, if any, do you claim, sir, regarding S&W M&P triggers, Sport or otherwise?  To my knowledge all their lowers use the same milspec trigger, made in house.  It is quite good for milspec.  I have an M&P lower on my carbine build.  It's trgger is true to form.  The trigger was on the high side of milspec at 8 pounds, but smooth, crisp, no creep.  Best milspec trigger I've ever experienced.  I did move up to  two stage Geissele for precision shooting, but keep the M&P parts for backup because the quality is superb.

I don't understand why people assume things about products they have no personal experience with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:25:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Cutting corners refers to the lack of a dust cover and forward assist. Could probably start a debate on those but I think there would be no debate that the reason the sport does not have them was to cut costs. As far as accuracy reports, if the rifle you are looking at has the 1/9 6R barrel and the accuracy reports are based on the 1/8 5R barrels, the actual results could be different.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Please tell us what important corners that would be, particularly regarding accuracy.  I have an inquiring mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have one of the Sport barrels, either the 1:8 or 1:9?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cutting off the top of the FSB looks so ghetto and retarded IF your not putting a free float rail over it. ...

Agreed

It's not about looks, it's about what works.
I cut mine off because left a blurry spot looking through the scope I wanted to use on that rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I finally cut down the FSB on one of my BCMs because I had a float rail and it was a fun project. Mine didn't look quite as nice as some of these, but it wasn't bad. I did have a couple of dremel slips where it took some finish off the barrel. I did it while it was still on the gun. Once I painted it, it all ended up looking really nice with the rail. No sturdier gas block and probably way less damage to the barrel finish than if I would have had to walk that son of a gun off. BCM puts em on tight.

Here is the gun, can't even see the FSB. Should now be more accurate and easier to add accessories to my keymod rail.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Once you start looking at game, you won't even notice the fsb shadow. Don't cut it off. I regret cutting mine and putting on a longer FF rail. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#36]
DD 14.5 LW middy ... did it with angle grinder and file, then hit it will high-temp matte BBQ paint from Lowes

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you have a link for that price?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Gas_Block1.jpg
View Quote

I was hoping Russ was going to post this one.....what a work of art bro!

far too pretty to be covered by a nasty old handguard
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top