BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Once I put the Geissele SSA-E in my SIG 716 I was hooked. I now have one on 2 Noveske N4's, an Armalite AR10A4, a Ruger SR 556  an LWRC M6A2  and an LaRue OBR. I have 2 Rock River AR's with their NM triggers and 2  POF's a  415 and a P-308. All 4 have nice triggers and don't require a trigger change but none of them are as sweet as the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Only in the ar world do people champion  the superiority  of crappier triggers for use in situations where lives are at stake. An adrenaline addled wannabe operator accustomed to shooting from a lead sled in broad daylight at stationary paper can yank a gritty 6 pound trigger in the dark foyer just as good as he can a crisp 2.5 pound one.

Get a decent reliable trigger and practice running your gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
since no one is talking about the single stage S3G super 3 gun, i will.

lots of people say they are too light and touchy for self defense rifles and that the 2 stage versions help prevent accidental discharges and there might be truth there but if you practice proper safety its fine. technically one should not be running around with their booger hook on the bang lever anyway.

i find that shooting quickly as multiple targets is harder for me with the 2 stage triggers. my simple brain gets confused on the 1st stage. the S3G so so freakin fast on double taps thats its mind numbing and that 2nd round goes right where the first round went. i cant say my 2 stage SSA will do it as effectively. maybe i should try the E version......?

i use the S3G on a 20" M16A4 clone with an aimpoint.
View Quote

In a life or death situation I figure the trigger is going to be smashed and I may not notice the stages.

A crisp, yet heavy single stage is my ideal for defending myself across the living room.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only in the ar world do people champion  the superiority  of crappier triggers for use in situations where lives are at stake. An adrenaline addled wannabe operator accustomed to shooting from a lead sled in broad daylight at stationary paper can yank a gritty 6 pound trigger in the dark foyer just as good as he can a crisp 2.5 pound one.

View Quote

My RRA trigger feels like I'm running my finger through mashed potatoes and a bang happens somewhere in the middle.

I can shoot it fast and even hit stuff too. My son's SD-C is amazing, but not as important a understanding the fundamentals of shooting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Which trigger would best for bump firing?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
IME Geiselle triggers aren't the best for bump firing.  They have a low lock time which can result in the hammer following the carrier down if the trigger is pulled too early.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/655109_BumpSAW_Bump_IAR_Picture_Video_and_theoretical_discussion_thread_.html

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, are you saying that those of us who need a light second stage trigger pull for precision shooting and also want a first stage that is safe under stress should ditch our Geissele triggers for 8 pound milspec triggers and avoid tyring to shoot small groups at long distances.  You can have your cake and eat it two with quality two stage triggers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a SSA-E and it is awesome to shoot at the range.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll just leave this

HERE
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'll just leave this

HERE

View Quote
That trigger will be awesome.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm preparing my CC for the rape.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]

So, are you saying that those of us who need a light second stage trigger pull for precision shooting and also want a first stage that is safe under stress should ditch our Geissele triggers for 8 pound milspec triggers
View Quote

Quite the opposite. I contend that if a glass-perfect 3 pound trigger is good on a 1911, it's great on a rifle. I contend that a gritty heavy trigger is not an aid to any shooting, much less when adrenaline is in the equation and missing has real consequences.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quite the opposite. I contend that if a glass-perfect 3 pound trigger is good on a 1911, it's great on a rifle. I contend that a gritty heavy trigger is not an aid to any shooting, much less when adrenaline is in the equation and missing has real consequences.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So, are you saying that those of us who need a light second stage trigger pull for precision shooting and also want a first stage that is safe under stress should ditch our Geissele triggers for 8 pound milspec triggers

i would agree with that. just make sure and keep the finger off the trigger until you are ready.

the local tucson swat guys use some version of the geisselle triggers i am told, 2 staggers. i dont see much difference in accidentally touching off a round with a single vs a 2 stage. they are both light.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the forum!

Have built a RRA 9mm, mostly for range fun.

The Geissele seems to be one of the best, but there are several versions.

Looks like the S3G, SSA-E, or the SD3G?

Recommendations? And thanks again.

Be easy on me, fairly new to the AR World.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thanks for the forum!

Have built a RRA 9mm, mostly for range fun.

The Geissele seems to be one of the best, but there are several versions.

Looks like the S3G, SSA-E, or the SD3G?

Recommendations? And thanks again.

Be easy on me, fairly new to the AR World.
View Quote
SSA-E is a very nice two stage trigger more oriented for precision shooting.

S3G and SD3G are almost the same, the SD3G has a flat trigger face.  Both are short reset fast action triggers aimed towards the 3 gun market.  They are an excellent option if you want to shoot fast.

SSA is also a nice two stage trigger, not quite as expensive as the SSA-E, but not quite as nice in feel either.

G2S feels the same as the SSA but costs less.  They use a different technique to hold the hammer pin in place that is cheaper to manufacture.  It also has fewer QC checks during production.  This IMO is one of the sweet spots in price vs performance.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an SSA-E.  Its a great trigger to long range shoot with.  Its also a good trigger for just happily blasting at 50 yards as well.  :)

I think on the next gun I put together, Im going to give a Hipertouch a shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I have installed 2 of the ALG Defense ACT triggers in my "Katrina" rifles. I am very happy with them. I am able to keep the same time tested design, but with a smooth trigger pull. Bill Geissele has a few excellent U-Tube videos on these (as well as the other triggers he sells). For 65 bucks, the ACT trigger is a bargain.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#18]
My rifle has an SDC (Super Dynamic Combat) and I couldn't be happier.  I believe it's 4.5 lbs (I find the SSA-E to be too light) and it has a flat face, which feels great.  It's fast and clean without being too light.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, you guys here are great!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad to keep hearing good stuff about the s3g. I can imagine a HD senario were you need to pop one off as soon as you take aim.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Glad to keep hearing good stuff about the s3g. I can imagine a HD senario were you need to pop one off as soon as you take aim.
View Quote

The S3G trigger also comes with 2 sets of trigger spring's 3.5lb.& 4.5lb.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Having just gone through this decision myself,  I can tell you that the SSA is a very nice trigger.  Has a good clean break,  zero grit and just light enough for some precision shooting while not being too light.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
This is what I got for my Armalite AR-10.

Super Dynamic Combat Trigger (with straight trigger, not curved)

As another said; it changed my life.

Worth every penny.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have 4 SSA-E and 1 SSA. I prefer the E
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Bottom line; any Geissele is better than most any other trigger out there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
SSA
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Big Ditto!..........
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow! Just installed the S3G and walked outside to try out.

Couple  shots here, couple there, and then dumped the mag first attempt.

Again, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Got my SSA in yesterday and got it installed. Didn't get a chance to shoot it yet, but just from dry firing, I can already tell it's miles better than the stock Colt trigger.

Installing those things is a pain though. Just two hands, a punch, a mallet for the punch, and some sore fingers.

It's all done now though, and it feels pretty great!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Well done, sir.   You will really like it when you live fire.  Bill Geissele's posted YouTube video makes installation a lot easier.  Yeah, it's a bit crowded in there for pudgy fingers, but not too bad after you see the master do it in his lap with just a roll pin punch and little hammer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well done, sir.   You will really like it when you live fire.  Bill Geissele's posted YouTube video makes installation a lot easier.  Yeah, it's a bit crowded in there for pudgy fingers, but not too bad after you see the master do it in his lap with just a roll pin punch and little hammer.
View Quote

I watched his video first.

Technically, it's pretty simple...... holding everything in place while carefully positioning pins and punches etc is another matter...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]
It get's easier as you do more.        

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got a Rock River Nat'l Match in a Colt 6920 (my first AR),

a G2S in a Stag 3G upper w/generic lower,

and a S3G in a "just finished last week" AR pistol on a 80% lower that I put together, and took to the range for the first time last Friday.   S3G = YEE-HAW, I love it!!

My next build, depending on the route I take (still undecided), will either have a SSA-E or another S3G, depenging on what I wind up doing.

I'm sold 100% on Geissele's until something better comes along, but I'm not holding my breath.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat.

Once I got one SSA-E....that's all I bought.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have 4 SSA-E and 1 SSA. I prefer the E

I'm in the same boat.

Once I got one SSA-E....that's all I bought.

I shot my buddies SSA-E and I was sold. Picked one up at Trading Places Pawn a month or so back and absolutely love it. Even though they recommend the SSA for HD due to its heavier trigger pull, I do not see the SSA-E 2 being unintentionally discharged without carelessness involved. I'm sure you cant go wrong with either but the lighter trigger is perfect for my Colt LE6920 SOCOM II.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#36]
I just went through this recently and here's my take on it; I read tons of posts on the ssa vs e thing and most people say ssa for general purpose. The one comment that I read that really stuck out and still does (I read it on here but, don't remember who posted it) was that "if you buy the ssa you will always wonder about the e". This is absolutely true in my case. They were sold out of the e so I went with the ssa. I think it's a good trigger and the 4.5lb pull isn't an issue but, I'm not a huge fan of this "carrot like break". Ultimately, I "wonder about the e". I should have waited and got the e. The whole buy the ssa thing seems to be based on it being "safer". If you require a heavier trigger to be "safe" please let me know when you are going to be at my local range so I can stay home because, you are overlooking one of the basic fundamentals. I like my ssa. It's a great, smooth trigger and it's everything it's advertised as being but, I can't help but wonder about the e.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I just went through this recently and here's my take on it; I read tons of posts on the ssa vs e thing and most people say ssa for general purpose. The one comment that I read that really stuck out and still does (I read it on here but, don't remember who posted it) was that "if you buy the ssa you will always wonder about the e". This is absolutely true in my case. They were sold out of the e so I went with the ssa. I think it's a good trigger and the 4.5lb pull isn't an issue but, I'm not a huge fan of this "carrot like break". Ultimately, I "wonder about the e". I should have waited and got the e. The whole buy the ssa thing seems to be based on it being "safer". If you require a heavier trigger to be "safe" please let me know when you are going to be at my local range so I can stay home because, you are overlooking one of the basic fundamentals. I like my ssa. It's a great, smooth trigger and it's everything it's advertised as being but, I can't help but wonder about the e.
View Quote
I got the SSA and did not wonder about the SSA-E.

As for keeping your finger off the trigger well lets say your hunting, and you find the Buck of your dreams. When you get a chance you prep the trigger, but the Buck decides to move right as your going to break the shot and bingo the extra weight helps you not take a bad shot.

Just a thought, and of course keep that finger of that trigger till your ready to shoot.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:09:01 PM EDT
[#38]
For me a SSA-E is a for sure in any lower I have.
My main shooter is absolutely filthy now and the trigger is full of crud and it's still pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the SSA and it is a great trigger. However, I made the mistake of playing with the S3G trigger at the ARFCOM store in Canton last month. Just ordered one on sale from Trading Places and expect it in next week. I plan to move the SSA to my AR10 and use the S3G in my AR-15. This model is not necessarily recommended for beginners or precision shooting as it was designed for 3 gun competition, but it is so smooth I couldn't resist. Man, that thing was sweet - anxious to get it installed and try it out and there are some that use it successfully for target shooting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After a bunch of reading, I really can't decide between the SSA and the SSA-E. They're both high quality triggers, and both seem to perform similarly.

I'm narrowly leaning towards the SSA, but I don't think any amount of reading is going to push me any further in one direction or another.

Where can I get a good deal on an SSA right now?
View Quote

Either Trading Places  or Primary Arms. Primary has it at $210 but includes a free Spikes lower parts kit if you need that. Primary has sales at times for 15% off also if you are in no big hurry.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

S3G or SD3g - check out the videos on You Tube
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#42]
[b
As for keeping your finger off the trigger well lets say your hunting, and you find the Buck of your dreams. When you get a chance you prep the trigger, but the Buck decides to move right as your going to break the shot and bingo the extra weight helps you not take a bad shot.
View Quote

I get what you are saying but, Honestly, I'm pretty sure in that scenario most people would end up breaking the shot on an ssa too. I'm not talking down on the ssa but, I wish I'd held out for the ssa-e. It's no loss though. When I build my wife her ar, I'll drop my ssa in her lower and pick up an ssa-e for mine. Isn't that what all good husbands do, give their wife the hand me down from their rifle and buy themselves something new?

OP: The ssa IS a great trigger and you should me happy with it. I got mine from trading place - $178 shipped, using the 10off coupon code. It's a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#43]
the 3 Gun trigger is like crazy eddies price's.

for the op's usage description it would be my choice. for duty use and stress/fatigue i think the ssa or E is a better choice. if you like a single stage and dont want the 3 gun the nickle-boron spikes/alg are sweet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SSA
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Primary Arms has Giessele 20% off for black friday.

I just got a G2S in the mail from Pegasus Arms today (they were out of the SSA).  I think I might order an SSA from primary to compare.  Either way the G2S feels pretty damn sweet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Primary Arms has Giessele 20% off for black friday.

View Quote

just picked up a S3G for my fun gun. lowest price i have ever seen on this trigger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvr0rSaFgZE
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top