Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 8:12:42 AM EDT
I was searching a different term and I came across someone saying if you had a carbine you NEEDED a BCM extractor upgrade. So I searched it real quick and read that someone had FTF (which I don't) and also had "brass smear" on his reflector. Well I also have this and found this quite weird but just shrugged it off. The only other AR I had was a 16" BCM midlength so this is my first carbine gas system. How do you tell if you need this upgrade? And what other upgrades do I need that I probably have no idea about!?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And what other upgrades do I need that I probably have no idea about!?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was searching a different term and I came across someone saying if you had a carbine you NEEDED a BCM extractor upgrade. So I searched it real quick and read that someone had FTF (which I don't) and also had "brass smear" on his reflector. Well I also have this and found this quite weird but just shrugged it off. The only other AR I had was a 16" BCM midlength so this is my first carbine gas system. How do you tell if you need this upgrade? And what other upgrades do I need that I probably have no idea about!?
View Quote

If you have a BCM you don't need any upgrades. You've upgraded as much as you can.

Unless it's screwing up, shoot it. Buy spare parts for the ban if you have the extra money but don't replace stuff that's working fine.

Also, brass smear on the deflector? That's usually a good sign, no?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]
This one isn't a BCM but a Colt LE6920. I figured it was good to go right out of the box!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If your gun is running without issue, why screw with it.  Buy extra parts for the day you might need them.  If you have a Colt or other quality gun, you're in good shape to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your gun is running without issue, why screw with it.  Buy extra parts for the day you might need them.  If you have a Colt or other quality gun, you're in good shape to begin with.
View Quote

This right here. You'd think an AR-savvy person would know this.

If your rifle is working fine, them don't mess with it. Just because you read on the Internet you "need" something, doesn't make it true.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This one isn't a BCM but a Colt LE6920. I figured it was good to go right out of the box!
View Quote

It is fine... my Noveske had that "brass smear" on the receiver.  I've had LMTs completely clock brass around the deflector (brass marks on the back side of the deflector) and misshape the mouth of the brass.  My Colt doesn't do that but I have never had it cause any problems and I highly doubt you will have problems.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If your rifle is working fine, them don't mess with it. Just because you read on the Internet you "need" something, doesn't make it true.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well my handguard was fine but I swapped it out for a DD RIS II and I would say it is better now. Swapped out my FSB for a KAC flip up but my FSB was fine however I find the KAC better. My buffer spring and buffer were fine but I like it better with the Sprinco blue and H3. My original stock was fine but I like the LMT SOPMOD better....Want me to keep going? You would think an AR-savvy person would know this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is fine... my Noveske had that "brass smear" on the receiver.  I've had LMTs completely clock brass around the deflector (brass marks on the back side of the deflector) and misshape the mouth of the brass.  My Colt doesn't do that but I have never had it cause any problems and I highly doubt you will have problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok glad to know! Thanks for the reassurance guys.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well my handguard was fine but I swapped it out for a DD RIS II and I would say it is better now. Swapped out my FSB for a KAC flip up but my FSB was fine however I find the KAC better. My buffer spring and buffer were fine but I like it better with the Sprinco blue and H3. My original stock was fine but I like the LMT SOPMOD better....Want me to keep going? You would think an AR-savvy person would know this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I get what you are saying, most of these are cosmetic.  The H3 thing I get, and had it not worked for you, the short stroke would have been easy to rectify.  Extractor upgrades really do fall in that "if it ain't broke" area in my life.  Not easily fixed at the range, if you know what I mean.

So, even with the H3, are you getting the major brass smear on the deflector?  Just curious.  I don't buy into much of the voodoo about ejection patterns.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rails, sights, and buttstocks don't affect the function of a rifle. Buffer springs and buffers can, but most worry about those things that really shouldn't be worried about. I'm sure your rifle performed just fine and was more than reliable before switching those components out.

And with the questions you ask, I simply don't think you're as savvy as you wish. There's nothing wrong with that, but insinuating that others aren't as knowledgable as you because they do things differently than you is unwise. You're collasible stock thread is a fine example.

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm always intrigued by these type of threads.

"My rifle runs great"....I want to fix it with _____!!!

If the rifle runs, don't screw with it until it doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

While I get what you are saying, most of these are cosmetic.  The H3 thing I get, and had it not worked for you, the short stroke would have been easy to rectify.  Extractor upgrades really do fall in that "if it ain't broke" area in my life.  Not easily fixed at the range, if you know what I mean.

So, even with the H3, are you getting the major brass smear on the deflector?  Just curious.  I don't buy into much of the voodoo about ejection patterns.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not notice brass smear after installing the H3 but I honestly didn't look hard. While I thought the smear was odd since my old BCM didn't do it, I didn't think it was anything to be alarmed by.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

First off I was asking a question with this thread, as in wanting to know more about the BCM extractor upgrade and what others here thought of it. Second I pointed out that it has put brass smear on the reflector and was also curious about that. Third I never once said "My rifle runs great" or that I wanted to fix it.

So at this point I'm struggling at figuring out what you are even talking about. Did you read at all? And if you did do you have anything useful to add or are you just raising your leg to piss?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

First off I was asking a question with this thread, as in wanting to know more about the BCM extractor upgrade and what others here thought of it. Second I pointed out that it has put brass smear on the reflector and was also curious about that. Third I never once said "My rifle runs great" or that I wanted to fix it.

So at this point I'm struggling at figuring out what you are even talking about. Did you read at all? And if you did do you have anything useful to add or are you just raising your leg to piss?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even I can tell his post was a generalization of many threads that are like this one. He didn't say you said anything. Calm down and take a breath.

Last time I checked, this was an open forum where ANYONE can post. If you don't like some of the responses you get, then perhaps you should ask the question differently, or if you feel you are being targeted or made fun of, report the thread and let the mods and staff take care of the situation.

Back in track: the BCM extractor upgrade is worth it when you have a questionable quality rifle. If you own Colts and BCM rifles, then you are worrying about nothing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

First off, I do not have to piss. I pissed earlier. Not 100% on what that has to do with your rifle or question?

Someone having FTF would have what to do with the extractor? You stated that you do not have this problem, implying that your rifle runs. Right? If you are not having a FTE (extract), then you do not NEED the upgrade. What I said is relevant to your question. If it runs right, it doesn't need these upgrades. If the rifle was having problems ejecting, stovepipes, etc then that would tell you that you possibly needed the upgrade.

You have a brass ejection mark on your deflector because the ejector properly ejected a shell out of the port, and the casing hit the deflector leaving a mark. Watch a youtube video in slow motion.

On to the last thing, if your rifle runs at 100%, what could an upgrade help? Most of the aftermarket stuff as far as "upgrades" are for enhanced reliability in a rifle that is expected to run 10k plus, competition, etc. You most likely do not "need" any upgrades if your rifle runs at 100% but you could get this. A better trigger from geiselle, an enhanced bolt and barrel from KAC, a boomfab titanium carrier, a hydraulic buffer, adjustable gas block. Its endless.

My favorite "upgrades" are not for reliability but rather comfort (as most are) and are a SSA trigger and raptor charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First off, I do not have to piss. I pissed earlier. Not 100% on what that has to do with your rifle or question?

Someone having FTF would have what to do with the extractor? You stated that you do not have this problem, implying that your rifle runs. Right? If you are not having a FTE (extract), then you do not NEED the upgrade. What I said is relevant to your question. If it runs right, it doesn't need these upgrades. If the rifle was having problems ejecting, stovepipes, etc then that would tell you that you possibly needed the upgrade.

You have a brass ejection mark on your deflector because the ejector properly ejected a shell out of the port, and the casing hit the deflector leaving a mark. Watch a youtube video in slow motion.

On to the last thing, if your rifle runs at 100%, what could an upgrade help? Most of the aftermarket stuff as far as "upgrades" are for enhanced reliability in a rifle that is expected to run 10k plus, competition, etc. You most likely do not "need" any upgrades if your rifle runs at 100% but you could get this. A better trigger from geiselle, an enhanced bolt and barrel from KAC, a boomfab titanium carrier, a hydraulic buffer, adjustable gas block. Its endless.

My favorite "upgrades" are not for reliability but rather comfort (as most are) and are a SSA trigger and raptor charging handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, now that post had much value to it. I don't NEED a set of 4.56 gears in my Mustang but I have them and like them. If I can make something better in general or better to suit my needs I'm all for doing it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said.

OP should also be informed that it isn't called a reflector, but a BRASS DEFLECTOR, because it deflects brass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well said.

OP should also be informed that it isn't called a reflector, but a BRASS DEFLECTOR, because it deflects brass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said.

I didn't think reflector sounded right but was better than "the thing they bounce off of"
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just buy it man! You seem to like to change out parts in your rifle, so do it.

You keep starting threads asking whether or not you should buy and install something, and then get upset with differing responses.

Stop asking, and just do it!

You liked the Sprinco, you are happy with your Glock disconnecter, etc., etc.

You don't need the internet's validation.

Buy stuff.

Install it.

Post your thoughts here (with pics preferably).

Enjoy life.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
most "upgrades" originate from internet bs post, especially from newbies with exactly 1 data point,

OP you dont need anything except trigger time
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You keep starting threads asking whether or not you should buy and install something, and then get upset with differing responses.

Buy stuff.

Install it.

Enjoy life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy stuff.

Install it.

Enjoy life.

I try my best to do research before asking questions. When I changed the things, I posted my results and honest opinion. I'm no expert and probably not even as savvy as half of you guys. But bullshit smart ass replies such as yours serves no purpose. If I have questions I ask them and I welcome ANY opinion or answer as long as it addresses the question and isn't a smart ass remark. I honestly don't think that is a lot to ask? If you don't want to answer my question or think that my thread might not be worthy of you...please, feel free to fuck off. I will be just fine without you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
most "upgrades" originate from internet bs post, especially from newbies with exactly 1 data point,

View Quote

Thanks Taylor! I definitely would like to shoot more! I've been through 400 rounds in 2 weeks. And that is with 60 hour work weeks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I try my best to do research before asking questions. When I changed the things, I posted my results and honest opinion. I'm no expert and probably not even as savvy as half of you guys. But bullshit smart ass replies such as yours serves no purpose. If I have questions I ask them and I welcome ANY opinion or answer as long as it addresses the question and isn't a smart ass remark. I honestly don't think that is a lot to ask? If you don't want to answer my question or think that my thread might not be worthy of you...please, feel free to fuck off. I will be just fine without you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy stuff.

Install it.

Enjoy life.

I wasn't being a smart ass at all. That was a sincere answer. Buy what you want, then post pics and opinions. How on earth could you get offended from that?  

Since you already blasted me for being a smart ass, I'll oblige you:

Only n00b shooters worry about the latest and greatest equipment and bling. Buying a rifle and immediately adding $200 worth of furniture so it "looks cool" or so you can store 20 lbs of batteries on the rifle is retarded. Real shooters buy ammo and new stuff when the old stuff breaks, or when something that can significantly improve the shooter's ability becomes available (like a quality optic).

A good shooter can take a bone stock Colt 6920 (or any other decent M4 variant) and shoot the shit out of it for 10k rounds without spending another $1500 in bullshit add-ons. A gear fag n00b will spend thousands of dollars on anything but ammo and training time so they can feel like they have a superior weapon. Well, guess what? You can have a superior weapon and still have shit skills. No amount of fancy equipment makes up for training and practice.

N00bs also post a lot and read little. Learn to use the search function or Google for answers. It's pretty fucking easy. < That comment really wasn't needed - F >

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=bcm+extractor+upgrade+kit+review&revid=1736645499

So, do you want to spend a bunch of $ on bullshit add-ons that just add weight and cost to your rifle so you can look cool to strangers online, or would you rather just go shoot your rifle and improve your skills? If your rifle shoots reliably, don't dick it up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#24]
< Instead of trying like heck to earn a time-out, step back, take a breath, and stop assuming every comment is a thinly veiled insult or a smart ass remark - F >
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#25]
The extractor upgrade was part of the SOPMOD Program, and was designed for the M4A1. It looks to be a part of Block II. What I haven't determined though what differentiates the "M4A1 Extraction Parts Set" from the "M4A1 Extraction Parts Set #2".

SOPMOD Program Overview August 16, 2001
SOPMOD Program Overview May 19, 2005
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boom, Done! I've been shooting AR's for years and thousands and thousands of rounds without the BCM extractor upgrade and all without fail. In fact, the AR is the only platform I've never had a failure from. I wish I could say that for my old Glocks, M&P's, and Springfield 1911 pistols. But with the pistols, if/when you shoot them enough your eventually going to have a failure. However, I only shoot quality, brass cased, full powered, mostly American made ammo (Lake City XM193) most of the time. I shoot a fair amount of PMC X-Tac, PRVI-Partisan 69 grain OTM's, and IMI too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#27]
< Yeah that first comment was right, but it was also inflammatory - comment removed - F >

I was encouraging you to try out the products that interested you, instead of relying on other's opinions. And then sharing your thoughts about them. I don't have a need to back pedal, I stand behind my statements.

You must think you are the only one who has ever asked about the products that interest you?

If you buy quality BCG you don't need the "upgrade" until the parts wear out or break. It's good to have spares, but you likely won't need the "upgrade" parts.

Maybe you should adjust your perception and take things on the internet for what they are: free advice.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Keep it ON TOPIC gentlemen.

Because someone offers a different opinion (especially when based on experience), that doesn't meant they are insulting you.  If you have a problem with a comment use the report button or things WILL get ugly.

Now back to the topic of upgrades: good/bad: needed or not?
View Quote

I'be had over 30 different AR's over the years and haven't had the need for an upgraded extractor kit to date. If I had to give a rough estimate, I'd say I've put just over 80k rounds through 5.56 AR's over the span of 13 years. I did actually buy the BBM upgrade kit a few years ago just to have in the range bag but, the need has never presented itself to justify actually installing it.

As others have said, if you're rifle is running fine, there really is no need for it. It's purpose, IIRC, is for when your rifle exhibits signs of FTE (failure to extract) issues. Is it a good thing to have? Sure, if you want that added piece of mind. Is it needed? Only you as an individual can make that decision regardless of what anyone says.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The extractor upgrade was part of the SOPMOD Program, and was designed for the M4A1. It looks to be a part of Block II. What I haven't determined though what differentiates the "M4A1 Extraction Parts Set" from the "M4A1 Extraction Parts Set #2".

View Quote

The thing is most "upgrades" stem from the sopmod program. The sopmod program was designed to "upgrade" the current line of m4s to be better suited in terms of reliability under heavier than usual use. With that said, you could probably follow the sopmod guidelines IF you are an operator shooting 1000s of rounds a month in a full auto weapon. Since most of us are simply range warriors and very few of us use our ar15 as a defense weapon, these upgrades are merely "fun factor" upgrades to make you feel special. It's sort of like getting a huffy bike and putting Lance Armstrong approved parts on it.

That's not to say these upgrades aren't fun to do. If you are a ar15 builder, then yeah some of us wants to do the "fun upgrades." I got a socom barrel, but it's basically worthless to me since a normal profile barrel would work just as fine. But I only get it simply because it's fun. I got bored of my bushmaster base model, so slowly it got stripped to nothing but the lower receiver. Prior to making all the upgrades, the rifle ran smoothly right out of the box without any "upgrades." After so many rounds, it just got boring and felt like building my own rifle.

So to answer the OP's question, as others did, nothing really needs to be done to a base model rifle. Even if it had problems, you shouldn't "upgrade" a factory rifle by yourself since it's likely covered and you sort of forfeit that if you mess with it. If your factory built rifle doesn't work out of the box, then call the company, rather than making "extractor upgrades" because BCM said so.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The thing is most "upgrades" stem from the sopmod program. The sopmod program was designed to "upgrade" the current line of m4s to be better suited in terms of reliability under heavier than usual use. With that said, you could probably follow the sopmod guidelines IF you are an operator shooting 1000s of rounds a month in a full auto weapon. Since most of us are simply range warriors and very few of us use our ar15 as a defense weapon, these upgrades are merely "fun factor" upgrades to make you feel special. It's sort of like getting a huffy bike and putting Lance Armstrong approved parts on it.

That's not to say these upgrades aren't fun to do. If you are a ar15 builder, then yeah some of us wants to do the "fun upgrades." I got a socom barrel, but it's basically worthless to me since a normal profile barrel would work just as fine. But I only get it simply because it's fun. I got bored of my bushmaster base model, so slowly it got stripped to nothing but the lower receiver. Prior to making all the upgrades, the rifle ran smoothly right out of the box without any "upgrades." After so many rounds, it just got boring and felt like building my own rifle.

So to answer the OP's question, as others did, nothing really needs to be done to a base model rifle. Even if it had problems, you shouldn't "upgrade" a factory rifle by yourself since it's likely covered and you sort of forfeit that if you mess with it. If your factory built rifle doesn't work out of the box, then call the company, rather than making "extractor upgrades" because BCM said so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The way I understand it, the SOPMOD Bolt upgrade isn't used anymore, but the standard gold Colt Extractor spring.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, lots of people telling you "you don't need it". Well, you don't really "need" to do anything to any new gun. I'll hazard a guess that most of the people saying "no" do not run their guns as they came out of the box. Half of the crap you see on guns is not "needed" but it is wanted. OK.

It is funny that you are repeatedly being told you don't "need" a very inexpensive mod. If you want it, go for it. I have them in some of my guns and your question has prompted me to check the two new guns I just built.

Installing the BCM kit can't hurt, it may actually help, and at the very least you'll get some experience working with small bolt parts I (in case you haven't removed an extractor before).

This video shows how easy this task is.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSw4PejKkMU[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Most quality BCGs already have the upgraded spring, o-ring etc.  It wouldn't hurt to have the parts on hand, as nothing really gets cheaper (aside go, price gouging times.). Your colt should be gtg
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP, lots of people telling you "you don't need it". Well, you don't really "need" to do anything to any new gun. I'll hazard a guess that most of the people saying "no" do not run their guns as they came out of the box. Half of the crap you see on guns is not "needed" but it is wanted. OK.

It is funny that you are repeatedly being told you don't "need" a very inexpensive mod. If you want it, go for it. I have them in some of my guns and your question has prompted me to check the two new guns I just built.

Installing the BCM kit can't hurt, it may actually help, and at the very least you'll get some experience working with small bolt parts I (in case you haven't removed an extractor before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSw4PejKkMU
View Quote

This is pretty much my thought. The mod is cheap and can be done in 3 minutes by myself. All I'm wanting to know is if it will help anything. I have yet to get an answer to brass smear on this carbine vs a smaller nice mark on my old midlength BCM...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is pretty much my thought. The mod is cheap and can be done in 3 minutes by myself. All I'm wanting to know is if it will help anything. I have yet to get an answer to brass smear on this carbine vs a smaller nice mark on my old midlength BCM...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd a;so be interested in the diagnosis for the brass swear because my new 14.5 upper is showing signs of this but, only with a specific brand of ammo. My understanding is that it is caused from over pressure in the chamber. Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Brass smear" is probably different between the two rifles because one is a carbine, the other a midlength. Different variables add up to different conclusions. There is no specific pattern or area where ejected brass is supposed to go after being fired.

You are most certainly overthinking not existent issues. If you don't like the answers you're getting, then think about rephrasing the question.

Or just go out and shoot the crap out of the damn things and come back when there is a problem. With the two rifles you have, chances are good there won't be any problems, at least not until things start getting changed out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some BCGs have a weak extractor spring and it wreaks havoc. The cure is to put a rubber o-ring around the extractor spring and optionally also replace the extractor spring with a stronger one. This is a good thing to know for future reference, but as others have said if you are not experiencing any issues with your AR, then there is no need to "fix" a non-existent problem.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#38]
As far as I know the BCG "upgrade" is a stiffer spring and/or O-Ring which helps the clamping force in the extractor.  From what I read, this is ONLY needed when shooting ammo that is getting stuck in chamber, as some Steel case ammo is known to do.  FTE(failure to eject?) problems were helped with this mod.  again, from what I read, you can do this mod yourself IF NEEDED(if not don't mess with it) by going to the hardware store and buying a certain O ring and adding that to the extractor.  

Like other's stated, if it's not broke---don't break it ;)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
M4A1 Extraction Parts Set appears to be a lobster tail extractor like the LWRC ACB bolts I saw on some of the MARSOC MK18's.  I haven't gotten to the M4A1 Extraction Parts Set #2.

Extraction Parts Set #2 appears to be a set of gas rings, 5 coil extractor spring, #60 viton O-ring and black extractor insert.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably keep it the way it is. With that being said if I do have an issue with my Colt it is this...

I've noticed that my charging handle has worn to the metal within 2 trips to the range. Also on the rear of it has bare metal showing. I find this odd since its the original bolt and charging handle to the carbine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably keep it the way it is. With that being said if I do have an issue with my Colt it is this...

I've noticed that my charging handle has worn to the metal within 2 trips to the range. Also on the rear of it has bare metal showing. I find this odd since its the original bolt and charging handle to the carbine.
View Quote

Rifles show signs of use when you use them. The metal showing on the charging handle is completely normal and happens fast. Mine usually start showing metal long before actual use because I dry fire the shit outta my weapons.

You really need to stop worrying about the little things and just shoot them.

Sorry if some answers seem harsh, but you have insinuated that you are an AR savvy person, but your posts truly indicate otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

As TurbineGuy said, there's nothing unusual or 'wrong' with that happening, it's impossible to use an AR without wearing down the finish on that part of the receiver. Colt makes good guns, don't sweat the small stuff, reliability is what you should be concerned with, and it doesn't sound like you have any problems as far as that goes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1  
If it aint broke...don't fix it
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Rifles show signs of use when you use them. The metal showing on the charging handle is completely normal and happens fast. Mine usually start showing metal long before actual use because I dry fire the shit outta my weapons.

Sorry if some answers seem harsh, but you have insinuated that you are an AR savvy person, but your posts truly indicate otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you keep saying I'm an "AR savvy person"? Honestly...I've even pointed out and said IN THIS THREAD that I doubt I know as much as most others. I even said I believe, that I have only owned 2 ARs. Christ sake dude if you have a problem with my questions then move on! I've had 2 ARs to compare each other to and that is what I'm doing. When one of my ARs has metal showing on the charging handle and the other didn't then I asked the question. I'm getting tiresome of your replies...It definitely seems with you there are a lot of stupid questions. Thank you for the answers, seriously. But just leave them as answers.

So here is my telling you I'm not an AR savvy person so any further jabs I plan to report.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As TurbineGuy said, there's nothing unusual or 'wrong' with that happening, it's impossible to use an AR without wearing down the finish on that part of the receiver. Colt makes good guns, don't sweat the small stuff, reliability is what you should be concerned with, and it doesn't sound like you have any problems as far as that goes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks and nope, it has gone bang so far every time. And it is very accurate too even after having ADCO chop the barrel down (they did an amazing job!).
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why do you keep saying I'm an "AR savvy person"? Honestly...I've even pointed out and said IN THIS THREAD that I doubt I know as much as most others. I even said I believe, that I have only owned 2 ARs. Christ sake dude if you have a problem with my questions then move on! I've had 2 ARs to compare each other to and that is what I'm doing. When one of my ARs has metal showing on the charging handle and the other didn't then I asked the question. I'm getting tiresome of your replies...It definitely seems with you there are a lot of stupid questions. Thank you for the answers, seriously. But just leave them as answers.

So here is my telling you I'm not an AR savvy person so any further jabs I plan to report.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to report it, that's up to you. I WASN'T JABBING YOU This is the thread that YOU insinuate you are AR savvy, in the very first sentence you posted. You need to learn to comprehend the answers you get, post less, and read more. Most, if not all, the questions you ask have been asked before, many times.

I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. Good luck in life and with your rifles.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks Taylor! I definitely would like to shoot more! I've been through 400 rounds in 2 weeks. And that is with 60 hour work weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got some great advice from the more civil members and we understand your desire to know more.  
Its a waste of time getting into it with the other few as you can see in other post that this is their norm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is common to see wear on it. The ar15 will have dings and scratches as you use it especially where the bolt is moving. With that said it should everpntually stabilize  to a point where the markings have no further wear.

With that said as you use the charger be sure to positively engage the latches before pulling it back. It should be done all the time but some folks like to do "tatical pull" drills where they fan yank the handle. That won't do much but it might wear the notches as time goes on.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top