Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 1:26:34 PM EDT
The BCG on my Noveske Infidel with pinned KX5 will not lock back when my magazines are depleted.  what can I do to fix this?  thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
run a lighter buffer

run a lighter bolt carrier

Are you shooing  full powered 556 ammo?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
New gun? Any new parts put in? Probably the bolt catch or receiver extension out of spec.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually shoot .223
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
What magazines?

USGI?
Magpul?
Lancer?    <------  Ding. Ding. Ding.?

(I love L5 mags but they won't lock back in some rifles I and friends have)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Magpul and USGI are the only mags I own
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Gman has the answer, if you're rifle has a functioning gas system.

Did you, or someone else build the upper, or is it factory Noveske?  

Did you buy it new from a reputable vender, Gunbroker, or is it used?

Any other failures, or just failure to lock back?

Ammo type?  How many rounds?  Have you tried more than one type?

The answers you get can only be as specific as the information you give.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
ADCO pinned and welded and assembled the upper.

all parts new

failure to lock back and sometimes bolt fails to feed the 1st round off a fresh mag
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
How about the rest of the questions.  

You might just call ADCO and see what they say in the meantime.  Nothing worse than troubleshooting guns and wasting ammo when the problem exceeds your capacity to fix it.  That, and if it's new, well, it should be fixed by the manufacturer, in this case ADCO.

Specific ammo brand and type, not just "223", and how many rounds through it with how many failures?

Is the gun properly lubricated?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might just call ADCO and see what they say in the meantime.  Nothing worse than troubleshooting guns and wasting ammo when the problem exceeds your capacity to fix it.  That, and if it's new, well, it should be fixed by the manufacturer, in this case ADCO.

Specific ammo brand and type, not just "223", and how many rounds through it with how many failures?

View Quote

I disagree to an extent. If OP bought a bunch parts and sent it to ADCO and paid them a fee to have it assembled, they're not to manufacturer. They assembled his parts just like he would at home. They can't be held liable for whether it runs or not. Now if they assembled a bunch of parts and sold a completed upper, then yes they are the manufacturer. However, the OP has given as few details as possible so far so I don't expect to get an answer one way or the other.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
all parts were from Noveske directly

cheap tula and American Eagle 55 grain

Also, it is hard for magazines to lock in place unless the bolt is locked back
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Try some full pressure 5.56 and see if that works. A lighter buffer could also help.

Quoted:
Also, it is hard for magazines to lock in place unless the bolt is locked back
View Quote

That is normal
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Will the bolt catch raise fully when you insert an empty magazine in the lower?

Tula is under-powered and can cause some issues correctly drilled gas ports. Lots of rifles are overgassed in the commercial market. Companies that tend to stick to milspec like BCM and noveske? maybe will give you tuned gas systems that won't put undue stress on the gun when using proper ammo, thus negating the need for things like aftermarket buffers and springs. The downside is you should use decent ammo.

That said, the AE 223 should cycle fine. So yes or no, will the bolt catch raise fully when you insert an empty magazine in the lower?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I also have an Infidel barreled upper and it is very moderately gassed. It choked on 223 with an A5 receiver extension, A5H4 and Wolff XP spring(this same set up will cycle 223 when used with my Noveske 14.5" N4 upper w/mid gas).

What buffer and carrier are you using?

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
We've got a whole forum called the "troubleshooting" forum. Maybe this gem would feel more at home there???
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on what size the gas port is. If there's an oversized gas port and you're just running a standard spring and buffer it could be running too fast to lock the bolt back. Conversely if the gas port is "correct" it could be due to "weak" ammo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The bolt stays open when charged with an.empty magazine.

Would a springco blue and st-t2 perhaps fix the problem?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I disagree to an extent. If OP bought a bunch parts and sent it to ADCO and paid them a fee to have it assembled, they're not to manufacturer. They assembled his parts just like he would at home. They can't be held liable for whether it runs or not. Now if they assembled a bunch of parts and sold a completed upper, then yes they are the manufacturer. However, the OP has given as few details as possible so far so I don't expect to get an answer one way or the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree...not "just like he would at home" otherwise that's what the OP would of done and not PAID to have it put together right!!

This IS what ADCO specializes in and gets paid for.

Regardless of who purchased said parts, he paid ADCO to assemble the rifle.  This is not his buddy or neighbor, this is a company that specializes in exactly this type of work and no doubt test fired it to check for proper cycling and functionality.....or if not should have.  Such an obvious problem should have been caught and corrected before shipping it out to the OP.

He paid for it to be assembled correctly and they are responsible to make it right.  If the OP wanted it not to function he could of put it together himself.  No offense OP.

OP...send it back on their dime.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I also have an emod stock if that changes anything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I disagree...not "just like he would at home" otherwise that's what the OP would of done and not PAID to have it put together right!!

Regardless of who purchased said parts, he paid ADCO to assemble the rifle.  This is not his buddy or neighbor, this is a company that specializes in exactly this type of work and no doubt test fired it to check for proper cycling and functionality.....or if not should have.  Such an obvious problem should have been caught and corrected before shipping it out to the OP.

He paid for it to be assembled correctly and they are responsible to make it right.  If the OP wanted it not to function he could of put it together himself.  No offense OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if they test fired it, I bet they used 556 ammo and not Tula which the op is trying to shoot. I bet if he put 556 in it, it would function correctly. There is no way I would pay Noveske pieces for parts and then put the shittiest ammo on the market in it and expect it to work 100%.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Stop arguing like little girls and start a new argument thread or help me out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shoot 556 ammo through it. If it works, quit shooting shit ammo through it. You spent probably $1000 on an upper, shoot quality ammo through it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you feel any roughness as you pull the charging lever, especially towards the end of travel?

ETA: Sorry never mind, you're saying this only happens on the last round.

Hmmm.... you also say the bolt stays open when charged with an empty mag.  So I'm still thinking perhaps the bolt isn't quite going back far enough during firing of live rounds.  I can understand that a lighter buffer might help that, but why should that be necessary?  Maybe the bolt catch is out of spec, or the buffer spring is binding etc.??
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have received plenty of good advice.

Try good quality brass ammo.  Still no good...I would contact ADCO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And if they test fired it, I bet they used 556 ammo and not Tula which the op is trying to shoot. I bet if he put 556 in it, it would function correctly. There is no way I would pay Noveske pieces for parts and then put the shittiest ammo on the market in it and expect it to work 100%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.  ADCO most likely did not use crappy ammo to test fire.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do you all jump to gas - spring or buffer issues?
Mine did exactly what his is doing  ….  The catch was rubbing on the mag
Filed some  plastic off and it now works just like it should.

OP
Pull the pin - open it up and work the catch and see
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#26]
8 times out of 10 you need more oil on the rifle always try oil first.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
failure to lock back and sometimes bolt fails to feed the 1st round off a fresh mag
View Quote

Not feeding the first round almost seems like the mag catch may be cut too low, causing the mag to sit low and the bolt to occasionally not get a good grab on the round. Would also explain the empty mag not getting the bolt catch pressed up in time during cycling.

ADCO's built me two uppers and has another on the way tomorrow and neither looked test fired (I didn't even send the BCGs so I doubt it).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you have a bad lever on it?  They caused that issue on a couple of my rifles.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not feeding the first round almost seems like the mag catch may be cut too low, causing the mag to sit low and the bolt to occasionally not get a good grab on the round. Would also explain the empty mag not getting the bolt catch pressed up in time during cycling.

ADCO's built me two uppers and has another on the way tomorrow and neither looked test fired (I didn't even send the BCGs so I doubt it).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you think that it should of been test fired to ensure proper cycling?  I cant imagine anyplace building rifles/complete uppers not do so.

They can throw a bcg in to test it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an A-5 H2 Buffer,  would a heavier or lighter buffer possibly help this and/or a green springco buffer spring?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have an A-5 H2 Buffer,  would a heavier or lighter buffer possibly help this and/or a green springco buffer spring?
View Quote

So you're using an A5 receiver extension, correct? Are you using a sprinco green spring now or asking if you should try it?

Assuming this is a gas issue, You'll need a standard rifle action spring(not an extra power one), and try swapping out one or both of the tungsten weights in the buffer(assuming that you have a second buffer to pull borrow weights from).

I just double checked, and my Infidel upper is using an A5H3 buffer and Wolff XP spring. functions fine with 556 but chokes(short stokes) on lower powered 223. In order to cycle and lock back with low powered ammo I'd suggest dropping it to a A5H1or A5H0.

is sprinco "green" an extra power or standard? it doesn't say on their site.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]
thank you, I will try that
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The BCG on my Noveske Infidel with pinned KX5 will not lock back when my magazines are depleted.  what can I do to fix this?  thanks
View Quote

I would go with the simple stuff first

how many rounds through the rifle

new ones need a little break in

myself I would grease up that bolt carrier good and put a half a dozen good quality 5.56 mags through it and see what that does.

If it is still not locking back then most certainly take a close look at the operation of the bolt stop. Could be it is just binding up and a little oil and some exercise will get it operating properly.

Does it fail to strip with all your  magazines? Are they fully locked into the mag well when that happens? Sometimes after I have used my vice block that fits in the mag well the mag release button acts up on mine. Just a little adjustment and it works perfectly.

If that doesn't fix it I would send it back. You shouldn't need to be changing buffers and springs or any of that on a brand new rifle. Now had you built it yourself then troubleshooting is yours.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Get used to it....

As stated before, Tula is underpowered. I have an AR that runs flawlessly on any full power 5.56, and AE 223, PMC 223 and every other brass case .223 I have currently shot, but it has proven to be rather finicky with Tula. When shooting Tula, it will sometimes short stroke and not completely eject a fired case or lock back on an empty mag. Never have this problem with 5.56 or quality .223.

In fact, I actually tried shooting 55 grain Wolf Performance Ammo last weekend, and it ran like a clock with it. Ran several hundred rounds of WPA steel case through it and had zero malfunctions. So if you are wanting to shoot cheap ammo, maybe try some WPA and see how your gun likes it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I just weighed my buffer and it is 2.9 oz... I think that may be the problem.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh?
A5 buffer that weighs 2.9? the lightest one they make is 3.8 oz. That's how much KAC buffer weighs, Something's not right here. Is it marked as a Vltor A5H2?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Nope.. it must be that I am an idiot
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#38]
If it's not locking back, try a lighter buffer and/or spring.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the bolt goes back far enough to pick up another round then it should lock back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If the bolt goes back far enough to pick up another round then it should lock back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  I had a .300 BLK that would eject but not strip the next round on every shot.  Needed to open the gas port slightly then all was well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nope.. it must be that I am an idiot
View Quote

In order to trouble shoot this we'll need the specs

can you confirm what components you are running?

Receiver extension, carbine or A5?

BCG, semi or full-auto?

Buffer? A5 or carbine?
we know the buffer weighs 2.9 oz, other than this I don't want to assume anything.

Spring, rifle or carbine? type?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Carbine

BCG is out of my old DPMS oracle, so IDK

Buffer Carbine

Spring Carbine
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Winner winner, chicken dinner!  Try a lighter buffer.  Hell, I run adjustable gas and an empty C (no slide weights) on most of my guns.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

2.9oz is a standard C weight.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Is your mag catch screwed in far enough? Sounds like MAYBE the mags are sitting too low in the magwell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  I had a .300 BLK that would eject but not strip the next round on every shot.  Needed to open the gas port slightly then all was well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I was tuning 5 of my rifles earlier in the year with the heaviest buffer I could reliably use.  I thought I was golden as a couple of them were getting through 30 round mags without issue, until the mag was empty.  No lock back.  Simply is not always true that if it does not short stroke, it will have enough gas to lock back.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top