Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2014 7:20:35 AM EDT
Should I go with the FN which I can find pretty easily right now or try to find the Colt which is a little harder to find? Or just go all out and buy the BCM? Also is there upside to the Colt over the FN or are they pretty much equal rifles?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
All three are pretty much equal. I personally would go with the Colt simply because it has the best looking roll stamp.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The BCM is a pretty good deal now with the BCG.   A decent price too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Built mine

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Looks familiar

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
FN supplies the ones to the military...if that matters at all to you..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Colt too, but the vast majority is FNMI
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Any of the listed ones will work, but it depends on how 'authentic' you want to be.  If you want to be as close as possible without a gov QR decal or a $30k rifle, Colt or FN should be your choices.  If you want something that is on par or better, but not being 'issue' doesn't bother you go for the BCM.  You won't be disappointed!

Of course if you want to go all out, buy a transferable M16A1/A2
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

But, unlike the Colt, the FNH civi rifles lack many mil-spec features that their military ones have. Do a search, there is plenty on this.

Get the Colt or, if you can't find one, get the BCM. This is coming from someone with three FN guns (my SCARs are great, but their ARs leave much to be desired).
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

But, unlike the Colt, the FNH civi rifles lack many mil-spec features that their military ones have. Do a search, there is plenty on this.

Get the Colt or, if you can't find one, get the BCM. This is coming from someone with three FN guns (my SCARs are great, but their ARs leave much to be desired).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt had separate entities not long ago.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, but that's not the issue. The major difference between Colt A4 clones is the M4 feed ramps on the non-mil version. The FN rifles lack much more than than that (i.e., they cut some corners). Again, do a search, this has been covered before.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Should I go with the FN which I can find pretty easily right now or try to find the Colt which is a little harder to find? Or just go all out and buy the BCM? Also is there upside to the Colt over the FN or are they pretty much equal rifles?
View Quote
All are excellent rifles and you cant go wrong.  I personally give the edge to FN and BCM since Colt is known to have had quality control issues.  Also, the FN part fit and finish are excellent...much better then the others.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#12]
View All Quotes

Looks great and I love me some Spikes... Not having a BUIS makes me nervous though...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine has a Kaiser Defense lower and a complete BCM upper with a KAC M5 rail system.  I put an Aimpoint PRO on it and it looks a LOT like an issued A4.  (Sorry, no pix at the moment...)
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I would go Colt. They weren't around when I did this.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one of the first post-AWB Bushies and it is one hell of a rifle! I bought it 'used' about 8 years ago, but it was never fired by the original owner.  It's an A4 type and my ONLY AR that I didn't need to adjust for a BZO.  I realize that is more luck than anything, but I have to give it credit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go with which ever one you like. Some guys are stuck on Colt rollmarks, but remember that you are only building a clone. Not everyone gives a rat's behind about rollmarks. I built mine with a CMMG model. I added the KAC M5 RAS, MaTech BUIS, Trijicon TA31RCOA4 ACOG, sling, and mag pouch.

There a few variations when it comes to building an A4 clone and you have to determine which route you are wanting to take. You can do a search and look at the various configurations of the M16A4s being used. Mine is patterened after a USMC variation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nicely done...you can have mine if we ever get back...its a little warn and filled with sand but it works great.  FYI all of ours are FN with a couple of old colts...there both excellent
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks great and I love me some Spikes... Not having a BUIS makes me nervous though...
View Quote

Your delicate iron sights are more likely to become damaged than an ACOG. Those optics are tanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#19]

I love 20"barrels I have a no name chrome lined  frankenbarrel upper. a BCM. A 100% FNH upper - not the new commercial and shot many many colts in service

the difference is nada nothing zero. get the cheapest get a really good BCG and an even better trigger.   good luck
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
BCM
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Now I want a Colt AR15A4 again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine is a Spikes / Sabre hybrid with Rock River stand alone BUIS, M5 Knight's rails, ARMS mount, and Aimpoint PRO.....and the MIAD, of course !  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top