User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
For a true SHTF carry rifle, I absolutely want light weight, and otherwise ease of handling. Years ago I went thru a 2 week paramilitary course (Frank Camper's school) twice. The first time I carried my 1974 SP1 20". After that I almost immediately built up a CAR15 (typical A1 upper, CAR stock, 11.5+5.5", etc") and used it the next year thru the same course. Much better. When your carrying something 24/7(that means everywhere... taking a dump, breakfast, taking a leak, working the garden, chopping wood, fishing, whatever!), they all get heavy/bulky.

Another important reason that I've stated here before, is the lighter my main carry weapons can be, the more of "something else" I can carry. Food, ammo, mags, spare parts, water filter, cooking gear/stove, shelter, layers, sleeping bag, etc. etc. Maybe even a 2nd handgun in the form of a LW .22 pistol, that otherwise wouldn't even be considered. For the same reasons, I'd carry a G17 as a main service auto, as opposed to any of my beloved but heavier/less firepower 1911s. At least for 24/7 duty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
11.5 BCM.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok so, thanks to all your help, I made my decision.. I wanted a short package, but with plenty of capability.  I went with a PWS MK112 MOD1.. (12.5" barrel)
I dressed with an My new PWS MK112 MOD1, with an EOTech EXPS 3-0, Surefire M300 mini scout/SR07 dual swtich, Vortex flip to side Magnifier, Class 3 LAM IR device,  ERGO grip and Magpul MBUS PRO backup sights.

[URL=http://s652.photobucket.com/user/tommycanadabucket/media/PWSMK112_zps73ebc4d3.jpg.html][/URL
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a true SHTF carry rifle, I absolutely want light weight, and otherwise ease of handling. Years ago I went thru a 2 week paramilitary course (Frank Camper's school) twice. The first time I carried my 1974 SP1 20". After that I almost immediately built up a CAR15 (typical A1 upper, CAR stock, 11.5+5.5", etc") and used it the next year thru the same course. Much better. When your carrying something 24/7(that means everywhere... taking a dump, breakfast, taking a leak, working the garden, chopping wood, fishing, whatever!), they all get heavy/bulky.

Another important reason that I've stated here before, is the lighter my main carry weapons can be, the more of "something else" I can carry. Food, ammo, mags, spare parts, water filter, cooking gear/stove, shelter, layers, sleeping bag, etc. etc. Maybe even a 2nd handgun in the form of a LW .22 pistol, that otherwise wouldn't even be considered. For the same reasons, I'd carry a G17 as a main service auto, as opposed to any of my beloved but heavier/less firepower 1911s. At least for 24/7 duty.
View Quote

if thats the golden rule then i'm hitting the road with this....minimal cleaning required....

i really dont like the idea of trying to keep an AR15 clean, wet and happy in a high dirt environment. i had a buddy that got a tiny desert pebble in his barrel extension of his ar15 and it prevented the bolt from closing. he learned the value of keeping his dust cover closed that day.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
16 inches
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok so, thanks to all your help, I made my decision.. I wanted a short package, but with plenty of capability.  I went with a PWS MK112 MOD1.. (12.5" barrel)
I dressed with an Eotech EXPS 2-0, Magpul MBUS PRO sights, and a Surefire Mini scout with an SR07 dual switch.
Here she is, and thanks again for all your insights!
-Tom

<a href="http://s652.photobucket.com/user/tommycanadabucket/media/PWSMK112MOD1_zps13c00126.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tommycanadabucket/PWSMK112MOD1_zps13c00126.jpg</a>
View Quote

Personally, I think that was an excellent choice. I have the same gun but in 16'. I am thinking PWS in 308 down the road with something like a 12" barrel. I am a new fan of PWS.
Congrats
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Personally, I think that was an excellent choice. I have the same gun but in 16'. I am thinking PWS in 308 down the road with something like a 12" barrel. I am a new fan of PWS.
Congrats
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dressed with an Eotech EXPS 2-0, Magpul MBUS PRO sights, and a Surefire Mini scout with an SR07 dual switch.
-Tom

<a href="http://s652.photobucket.com/user/tommycanadabucket/media/PWSMK112MOD1_zps13c00126.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tommycanadabucket/PWSMK112MOD1_zps13c00126.jpg</a>

Congrats

have you even been around a 308 with anything less than a 20" barrel, let alone a 12er? you'd have permanent hearing loss after one mag.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

have you even been around a 308 with anything less than a 20" barrel, let alone a 12er? you'd have permanent hearing loss after one mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-Tom

Congrats

That is probably true but I would hope electronic Muffs would keep the noise at a safe level. I have a Browning rifle in 308 and if I recall correctly the barrel is 20" and you are right, it is very loud.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:59:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
funny thing about 556 ammo though, a good bud of mine that was in the army in iraq for a long time chasing haji told me stories (snip) dropping a guy cold at 100m with one shot (snip) 4 rounds into a guy in a house  (snip)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
funny thing about 556 ammo though, a good bud of mine that was in the army in iraq for a long time chasing haji told me stories (snip) dropping a guy cold at 100m with one shot (snip) 4 rounds into a guy in a house  (snip)

Quoted:
Didn't a guy get shot with a 50 cal round and not get dropped.  
I'll have to look for it later when I am not busy.

Yup, shot placement definitely matters a whole fucking lot! Many a wize guy went to the great pasta patch in the sky from a single 22LR in the walnut. OTOH I think an enemy might survive a finger, toe or earlobe shot from 50BMG and perhaps not fall down ("drop"). Was it a limb shot? I bet he fah down at least temporarily, and then again fairly quickly from severe hypovolemia, after maybe a short vertical stint to hunt for the limb. Any midline hit would be lights out 99.99999%, or some REALLY extreme corner-case. An Army guy shooting 855 at 100m with lots of time and who's aim and shot placement choice is really Akbar, not so hard to believe (routine?) Same Army guy in a heart-pounding house clearing with shot placement not so terribly Akbar, 4-shots to stop is also not hard to believe. Happens all the time. Just the other day Oklahoma Haji got 3 rounds of 5.56 from the off-duty LEO/CEO and is going to trial soon. Isn't that the essence of the original 5.56 w/burst compromise? Use 55gr if you have lots time and a good chance at a vital shot; If not, flip the happy switch and give 'em a 165gr trifecta, or so? Maybe reduce a lot more targets with the same pack weight, or maybe not, depending how the mission unfolds? Love my AR 5.56, but not so sure it would be the best choice for me in a true EOTW. Deaf beats dead any day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This does about everything:

http://i58.tinypic.com/6fzfxg.jpg

View Quote

Until you lose your optics.......
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I get asked that a lot.  

PSA/FN fuck up?  I never expected the damn thing to be CL when I ordered it:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSC_6652.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy and I were just discussing this, and if I could only grab one, with the possibility of having to stay out in the elements and live like a fucking savage, it would probably be the one I have with a SS/CL/CHF barrel. It is a 16" midlength, and ironically is the gun I shoot the least

It eats all ammo, and would likely be the "easiest" on parts seeing as it is a 16" midlength.

It has a Trijicon TR24, so no batteries, and has an A2 FSB, and a Magpul PRO rear sight. I think those are good choices for end of the world sights. The TR24 may not be very rugged, however.

This rifle isn't my go-to, that title belongs to a 14.5 with an Aimpoint.

In a more perfect world scenario, I could grab one of my SBRs, one of my 14.5s, and the .308.

I would feel better
You have a stainless steel, chrome lined, hammer forged barrel? Where on earth did you find such a thing?    

And the TR24 is pretty rugged.

I get asked that a lot.  

PSA/FN fuck up?  I never expected the damn thing to be CL when I ordered it:

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/DSC_6652.jpg

Cool, never seen one before! Any pics of the chamber area?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
PSA does advertise it as having chrome-lined bore and chamber on the website description for the Premium 20" CHF Upper.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
16"
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This does about everything:

http://i58.tinypic.com/6fzfxg.jpg

I'm sure he could throw some on there from his duffel bag / back pack if he carried some.  Since he has TWO sights already and one being non battery operated, I think that would cover it.  I think people make more out of buis than really need be.  It's like a marketing thing or something.  YOU HAVE TO HAVE ON BOARD BUIS OR YOU'RE GONNA DIE.  Well, I realize they are a good idea, but I think he's got a bit of redundancy with that set up.  And the optic is as likely to fall off as any BUIS is.  So.....  not really sure what you mean by "lose".
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top