BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The Colt from PSA is a good deal, but for even cheaper you could buy a PSA upper and lower. This is what I did for my first AR. Ended up costing about $650.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I absolutely agree MedicFrost. Spikes knows the customer is paramount and they will make anything right the fastest way in least inconvenience way possible to the consumer. So will Smith & Wesson and Springfield in my experience. All (3) are tops from my dealings... OP, this would be and was my first choice except mine was a carbine. I like Middies better though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the best buy in ARs, unfortunately they're out.  

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS

If it were me, I'd wait for this.  Better customer service and warranty.  Midlength gas system.

I absolutely agree MedicFrost. Spikes knows the customer is paramount and they will make anything right the fastest way in least inconvenience way possible to the consumer. So will Smith & Wesson and Springfield in my experience. All (3) are tops from my dealings... OP, this would be and was my first choice except mine was a carbine. I like Middies better though.

Spikes is the best value on the market right now. Top quality components, mid-length gas system (ideal for a 16"barrel IMO), flawless fit & finish, and the best customer service in the industry. Nothing wrong with the Colts, as long as you don't mind a carbine length gas system, a few knicks in the finish here & there, and barely adequate customer service.

I like to remind people that "mil-spec" is a list of MINIMUM standards, not the highest standards. It's a good place to start, but you can do much better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Spikes is the best value on the market right now. Top quality components, mid-length gas system (ideal for a 16"barrel IMO), flawless fit & finish, and the best customer service in the industry. Nothing wrong with the Colts, as long as you don't mind a carbine length gas system, a few knicks in the finish here & there, and barely adequate customer service.

I like to remind people that "mil-spec" is a list of MINIMUM standards, not the highest standards. It's a good place to start, but you can do much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the best buy in ARs, unfortunately they're out.  

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035MLS

If it were me, I'd wait for this.  Better customer service and warranty.  Midlength gas system.

careful, I've been voted most hated guy by saying mil-spec means it's the minimum acceptable standard with regards to Colts.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Did OP ever tell us his budget?  If so, I missed it with all the fanboy posts about favorite rifles.  It's all meaningless unless we know how he defines "for the money."  If we are honest with ourselves, the answer, including brand and model, will change depending on the price point.  Otherwise, personal, subjective bias enter the issue and we are no longer comparing apples to apples.  I have no slavish brand loyalty, but can offer some objective observations, if I knew the price point.  Perhaps I missed the price range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I need the photo of the dude hitting his forehead and it says "Not this SHIT again!!!!!!  There is no "BEST"  AR. What might be the perfect rifle for me, may be totally wrong for you. Each person has to asses his specific needs and deck the AR out accordingly. For some it will be  short barreled rifle with a Eotech, while the next guy might need a 4x ACOG or .......................................? This is just an example for the optic, you get my drift here. Spend as much time reading in this forum, it is a great source for learning, shoot as much as possible and if you can afford take a good Carbine Class, it won't take long for you to decide what " The Best" AR for you looks like. Then come back here and post some pics so everyone can tell you what's wrong with your decisions, lol!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed.... just bought my 1st AR from Daniel Defense....DDM4 V5 mid length and finished in Cerakote Tornado Grey.
Quoted:
If you're ok with spending a more then what colts go for Daniel Defense is a good choice
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy a BCM upper from BCM and a BCM lower from Rainier Arms. Takes several moments to put them together.
View Quote

This. I would take a BCM over a Colt, and they are priced very similarly.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1
My gun collecting hobby began about 8yrs ago and 3 times during those 8yrs that I began to collect AR but stopped and sold all of them b/c I didn't start with the 'right' one that kept me interested in the platform.
First beginning gun was MP15X, Second beginning gun was Colt 6920, then my Third time charm began with a KAC SR15 Mod1, which I got this summer and already bought a second 1 week after the first rifle.
I did a lot of homework on each purchase and the previous 2 rifles are wonderful guns but they simply don't have the same kind of charm that kept me interested in the platform for some reason....thinking back, I guess the carbine length and fixed FSB was the problem

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best AR or Best AR for the money?

The answer to both is the KAC SR15.

Buy your last AR first.  

+1
My gun collecting hobby began about 8yrs ago and 3 times during those 8yrs that I began to collect AR but stopped and sold all of them b/c I didn't start with the 'right' one that kept me interested in the platform.
First beginning gun was MP15X, Second beginning gun was Colt 6920, then my Third time charm began with a KAC SR15 Mod1, which I got this summer and already bought a second 1 week after the first rifle.
I did a lot of homework on each purchase and the previous 2 rifles are wonderful guns but they simply don't have the same kind of charm that kept me interested in the platform for some reason....thinking back, I guess the carbine length and fixed FSB was the problem

So you have had experience with a total of three different ARs. Is this correct? So when someone else gives advice about which AR is best for the money and they have owned over 45 ARs and currently own 27 of them and has been shooting the platform for 36 years, would you say that they are more than qualified to give said advice?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did OP ever tell us his budget?  If so, I missed it with all the fanboy posts about favorite rifles.  It's all meaningless unless we know how he defines "for the money."  If we are honest with ourselves, the answer, including brand and model, will change depending on the price point.  Otherwise, personal, subjective bias enter the issue and we are no longer comparing apples to apples.  I have no slavish brand loyalty, but can offer some objective observations, if I knew the price point.  Perhaps I missed the price range.
View Quote

The OP has never given us any more information. This is not uncommon. Some of these guys come in and start a shitstorm and vacate. If he has been monitoring his thread, I do not know why he has not wanted to give us some pertinent information that we need.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you're ok with spending a more then what colts go for Daniel Defense is a good choice
View Quote

I agree with your post. If money is not an obstacle,  then buy a DD over a Colt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Colt 6920 MOE (Magpul furniture)
View Quote

+1 on your post.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you have had experience with a total of three different ARs. Is this correct? So when someone else gives advice about which AR is best for the money and they have owned over 45 ARs and currently own 27 of them and has been shooting the platform for 36 years, would you say that they are more than qualified to give said advice?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy your last AR first.  

+1

Not just 3, those were starting guns.
I use to own 9 different AR rifles(Colt, Spike, S&W, PSA), but sold almost all of them. I currently only have 2 KAC, and 2 Colt.
If someone owns 45 AR, and is indeed very knowledgeable about the platform, I would say he/she is definitely qualified.
Why ask this?  B/c I have so few AR rifles?
If I have the same amount of knowledge about AR platform as the guy with 45 AR, wouldn't me and him/her both have the right to say something?
If the guy with 45 AR only shoot 5 particular rifles, would the person be qualified to post in this thread?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I use to own 9 different AR rifles(Colt, Spike, S&W, PSA), but sold almost all of them. I currently only have 2 KAC, and 2 Colt.
If someone owns 45 AR, and is indeed very knowledgeable about the platform, I would say he/she is definitely qualified.
If I have the same amount of knowledge about AR platform as the guy with 45 AR, wouldn't me and him/her both have the right to say something?
If the guy with 45 AR only shoot 5 particular rifles, would the person be qualified to post in this thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy your last AR first.  

+1

AR's are not exactly rocket science. Experience with 45 compared to 3 is just the same thing over and over. No matter who we are we all have prejudices for one thing or another, and they will show. Get your own experience, set your own standards and make your own decisions. It never hurts to listen to advice. Just take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

AR's are not exactly rocket science. Experience with 45 compared to 3 is just the same thing over and over. No matter who we are we all have prejudices for one thing or another, and they will show. Get your own experience, set your own standards and make your own decisions. It never hurts to listen to advice. Just take it for what it's worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy your last AR first.  

+1

That is true, but there is so many ARs on the market and so many configurations, not to mention the massive amounts of accessories and furniture. It pays to well schooled. Also, I agree that it never hurts to listen to advice, but it pays to listen to what someone is asking. When information is absent that is needed to give appropriate advice, one cannot provide proper and useful advice. Too many guys have said to get this one or get that one when the OP has never said what he has to spend or what the purpose is. That is like a doctor trying to diagnose a patient without having any information from the patient on what the symptons are. It cannot be done. That is why they ask questions in order to diagnose the ailment/illness effectively. I will say this, we are trying to help these guys, but they need to help us in order to do that. Ask for more and if they do not give it, give them nothing. I have yet to give the OP any recommendation because he has yet to give more info to clarify his request. I would advise others to do the same.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Valid points made by many...

To the OP, you won't find a "best rifle for the money" since everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 because it closely resembled the rifle I took to Iraq, it was around $700 (at the time, cheaper can be had now I know) and I recognized the name. Spending a few days or weeks on here will get you a lot more bang for your buck. Again, take each comment as opinion and not absolute truth. Good luck and be careful....this will get addicting
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Spikes, BCM, or DD mid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#17]
the "best" for what purpose and what kind of budget?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread is comical.  OP may be a troll, cruising through to stir up fanboys and sit on the sidelines laughing at the various beauty contestants parading around.

If OP is real, he should answer our questions or let us know he has whatever info he vaguely sought, as useless as it may be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I want all of you to listen to me very carefully.

As long as Bud's will sell you a brand new Daniel Defense DDM4V5 for $1050 SHIPPED there is no better deal in the entire world on an AR.

Colts are decent rifles for $700-800. Not the $1000 people will have you think they are worth.

Period.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Whenever someone asks this, it's alwways "Colt 6920!!! Durr Hurr.."

Can the Colt groupies just not post in these thread because it's really not the best AR buy...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As long as Bud's will sell you a brand new Daniel Defense DDM4V5 for $1050 SHIPPED there is no better deal in the entire world on an AR.

Colts are decent rifles for $700-800. Not the $1000 people will have you think they are worth.

Period.

View Quote

Got a link? The only one I could find was $1700
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Period.

View Quote

If Buds really is selling DDM4V5's for that price then your absolutely correct... I just went to Buds and all the prices were on Request Only...

And I wholeheartedly agree with your Colt comment too. I'd pay $850 for a M4clone and it would be an awesome ground floor rifle. But I wouldn't pay a dime more. I wish Colt would get with the program and start offering mid-length gas system rifles. I'd really love to have a Colt 14.5" standard profile (pencil) barrel with a middy gas on a A1 upper receiver... And I wish Colt would offer the venerable "Colt Grey" finish like they did my A2 H-bar in. Now that would be sexy...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Period.

View Quote

I'm subscribing for a link. I understand you are talking about best offer, but link the exact rifle please.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If Buds really is selling DDM4V5's for that price then your absolutely correct... I just went to Buds and all the prices were on Request Only...

And I wholeheartedly agree with your Colt comment too. I'd pay $850 for a M4clone and it would be an awesome ground floor rifle. But I wouldn't pay a dime more. I wish Colt would get with the program and start offering mid-length gas system rifles. I'd really love to have a Colt 14.5" standard profile (pencil) barrel with a middy gas on a A1 upper receiver... And I wish Colt would offer the venerable "Colt Grey" finish like they did my A2 H-bar in. Now that would be sexy...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Period.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/75339/daniel_defense_ddm4v5_30+1_223rem556nato_16

Click the make offer link. I got mine for $1100 shipped. It doesn't have the new style furniture, which I didn't care about, but still a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/75339/daniel_defense_ddm4v5_30+1_223rem556nato_16

Click the make offer link. I got mine for $1100 shipped. It doesn't have the new style furniture, which I didn't care about, but still a pretty good deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Period.

That's it. Use "Make an Offer" and see what they will take. I bought mine in June and it came with $150 back to Daniel Defense. That promo is over though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This thread is comical.  OP may be a troll, cruising through to stir up fanboys and sit on the sidelines laughing at the various beauty contestants parading around.

If OP is real, he should answer our questions or let us know he has whatever info he vaguely sought, as useless as it may be.
View Quote

You hit the nail on the head. The OP just joined and it was his first post. Usually when someone submits such a topic and then fails to chime in after a day or two, something is amiss. It is symptomatic of someone that just wants to stir the pot and stand back and enjoy watching a bunch of guys exhibit their foolishness and ignorance. It is a good trick. It is not so much comical for me as it is exasperating. I abhor seeing guys give other guys incorrect and ineffective advice. There needs to be a lot more . hoisted.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Period.

Out of stock. Good. I didn't need to spend a k on a gun this morning.

ETA: They just restocked. FML. A DD AR15, save for Black Friday, or just buy that AK I've been wanting. Decisions, decisions. I'm gonna offer them a flat grand.

ETA2: They keep kicking my offer, tried up to $1150...any more and I could go KMR....damnit I hate I missed these for $1050.

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3412
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Mid-KMR-KEYMOD-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw-bfh-kmr13.htm
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top