Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2014 7:34:51 PM EDT
So I ordered a kitchen scale and took my gun (not all the way) apart.  My rifle seems heavy compared to others I have held and compared to what I see in the POST YOUR LIGHTWEIGHT thread.

Here is what I have come up with:  units are in oz

Standard M4Buttstock     7.6
Bi Pod     10.7
3x magnifier    13.2
Red dot with QD mount    6.75
Inforce weaponlight    4.35
Magpul Rail cover x 2    1.55
Vertical Grip    2.65
13" Seekins BAR Rail    15.1
Complete lower minus buttstock    28.25
BCG   11.55
CH   1.2
Complete upper minus rail, BCG and CH   51.3

153.2  oz
9.575  lbs

So if you take away the fluff (3x magnifier, light, rail guards, vertical grip, bipod), I still end up with 7.6 pounds!

Is this ok?  How do people end up with under 6?  I understand my rail is heavier than most, I recently bought a 15" MCSR rail that weighs only 10oz... but that is for my next rifle.  My current rifle is a Recce, I plan on changing my M4 stock to an ACS or equiv. and getting rid of my dot/mag and going with a viper PST.  With the matchgrade barrel I have is it not possible to get under 6lbs?  I understand Recce's need a heavier contour than other government profile builds.

Any help would be appreciated.  Here is the gun in its current form:

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
In order to get under six you will need to get a LW barrel, lighter rail, ditch BUIS, ditch VFG, etc.

The type of Recce you want will never be under 6lbs. imo
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I just went through this exercise recently....  went from 7.75 to 6.1 lbs.

Link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/654490_I_wanna_lose_weight.html

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone have a lighter rifle than this one?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, barrel profile will kill you here as well as all the accessories.

Losing all that weight will take away some of the intended functionality of your rifle.  

Drop what you feel comfortable getting rid of and just accept the weight for what it is once you have everything on there that you need/want accessory wise.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.skipd.artin.org/AR-15 Right Side.jpg

View Quote

That thing doesn't look lightweight at all.  

ETA:  What's the weight?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's because it's "floating", hence the ""
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, need to recalibrate my sarcasm meter.  

OP you could always have the barrel reprofiled to save a little more weight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
To get a lighter you need a SBR with a light weight barrel. A Reece rifle build is never really going to be light
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

To get a lighter you need a SBR with a light weight barrel. A Reece rifle build is never really going to be light
View Quote
This is not true.

A Recce can be light just not ultralight, and it will cost you some good money to get it that way.

Check out this LW match barrel OP, and I am seriously considering it for my own LW Recce build.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is not true.  

A Recce can be light just not ultralight, and it will cost you some good money to get it that way.

Check out this LW match barrel OP, and I am seriously considering it for my own LW Recce build.
https://www.odinworks.com/223_Wylde_16_1_Carbine_p/b-223-16-ul-ml.htm

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is not true.  

In the specs for that barrel they only guarantee 1.5 MOA, isn't that unacceptable for a Recce? My Rainier Match barrel guarantees sub moa.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Off-topic portions removed - Eric802

If you want a lightweight rifle build a new rifle that is lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#14]
lose the bipod for sure.

get a lighter scope.. scopes usually weight a ton.  iron sights are lightest of course, but instead of red dot and x3 magnifier.. you should go with 1-4x scope(light weight) like a weaver or something.  don't go for the high end optic, they usually weigh a ton..

my weaver weighs like 10oz, and PST weight like 16oz... big difference..
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#15]
With 1-4 scope my recce is 6.7 pounds.  Not sure what it is without.  I kinda want to ditch the scope for RDS/eotech to make it lighter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With 1-4 scope my recce is 6.7 pounds.  Not sure what it is without.  I kinda want to ditch the scope for RDS/eotech to make it lighter.
View Quote

But then you won't have a Recce anymore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
In the specs for that barrel they only guarantee 1.5 MOA, isn't that unacceptable for a Recce? My Rainier Match barrel guarantees sub moa.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not true.  

IMO 1.5 MOA from 100-500 is excellent, and better than most people can shoot including myself.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No argument from me; most of my shooting is under 100 yards, so the 1-4 scope is lost on me.  A RDS would be lighter and serve my purposes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

IMO 1.5 MOA from 100-500 is excellent, and better than most people can shoot including myself.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not true.  

If you are going to pay that why not get the Rainier that is sub MOA? cost $15 less, or better yet get a standard lightweight that will be in that 1.5-2moa range.

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3279

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you are going to pay that why not get the Rainier that is sub MOA? for $50 more, or better yet get a standard lightweight that will be in that 1.5-2moa range.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not true.  

If you are going to pay that why not get the Rainier that is sub MOA? for $50 more, or better yet get a standard lightweight that will be in that 1.5-2moa range.

Does the Rainier weigh 1.6 lbs?

I do have a Enhanced LW from BCM which is why I have not jumped on the Odin. I believe a stainless barrel will keep within its accuracy more consistent vs a chrome lined so thats why I would get one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
1lb 14oz not 1.6 its 1lb. 6oz. which would be 1.4125lbs

another reason

416R Stainless Steel:

416R is a proprietary steel produced by Crucible specifically designed
for rifle barrels.  The main difference between 416R and standard 416
stainless steels is the addition of Molybdenum (which is present in 410
but not 416 stainless steels) and a lower sulfur content than 416
stainless steel (but still higher than 410 stainless steel).  Crucible
also states that barrels made from 416R may be safely used at
temperatures as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit.  For more information on
416R stainless steel, please see Crucible's 416R Datasheet.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

another reason

416R Stainless Steel:

416R is a proprietary steel produced by Crucible specifically designed for rifle barrels.  The main difference between 416R and standard 416 stainless steels is the addition of Molybdenum (which is present in 410 but not 416 stainless steels) and a lower sulfur content than 416 stainless steel (but still higher than 410 stainless steel).  Crucible also states that barrels made from 416R may be safely used at temperatures as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit.  For more information on 416R stainless steel, please see Crucible's 416R Datasheet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

another reason

416R Stainless Steel:

416R is a proprietary steel produced by Crucible specifically designed for rifle barrels.  The main difference between 416R and standard 416 stainless steels is the addition of Molybdenum (which is present in 410 but not 416 stainless steels) and a lower sulfur content than 416 stainless steel (but still higher than 410 stainless steel).  Crucible also states that barrels made from 416R may be safely used at temperatures as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit.  For more information on 416R stainless steel, please see Crucible's 416R Datasheet.

Which barrel is that?

The match barrels from Rainier I see are 2 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Pencil barrels, My m16a1 is one of the best feeling of all my ARs, she just likes to drift a little when the barrel heats up. Always thought about getting a carbine 14.5 pencil and seeing how light I can go but still have a bad habit of adding crap to them.

I have stated before I still want a sub 7lb rifle that can shoot sub 1moa. with optic capable of accurate 600yd shots, with buis, which will be polymer.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Which barrel is that?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

another reason

416R Stainless Steel:

Which barrel is that?  

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

another reason

416R Stainless Steel:

Which barrel is that?  

Thank you this looks like an excellent barrel as well.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]
All about weight, accuracy is still directly related. my SPR come in at 9lbs 7oz but shoots .5moa. I have got 1.5moa out of many factory barrels including Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, PSA, RRA. I have not built a Reese Style for myself but helped my brother build his starting with PSA upper and it shoots 1-1.5moa.
still have the itch just moved to FALs and shotguns for a while, wish I had gotten the Rainier barrel when they were closer to $200. Waiting to see whaat the PSA Ar-10 uppers are capable of doing.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No argument from me; most of my shooting is under 100 yards, so the 1-4 scope is lost on me.  A RDS would be lighter and serve my purposes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True that, but dont forget some scopes have true 1x where you can double the reticle as a red dot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#28]
What is this "recce" everyone is talking about to much? Is this the new flavor of the month?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is this "recce" everyone is talking about to much? Is this the new flavor of the month?
View Quote

A little chocolate; a little peanut butter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, there's a REAL recce-style AR, and there's a recce-type AR.  The real thing comes from the SEALs wanting an "intermediate" AR, something between an M4 and a sniper rifle.  The SPR, while popular in some circles, isn't a favorite child.  A recce rifle is a 16" flat-top (no FSP) with a SS 1/8 precision barrel (originally Lilja).  That is really what the original was, and many variants have sprung from there.  Even in the Navy (and lesser the Marines) the recce varies greatly.  Now it is generally and very broadly a 16" flat-top AR used for intermediate range, so it usually sports a 1-4, 1-6, or 3-9 optic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

True that, but dont forget some scopes have true 1x where you can double the reticle as a red dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...need to consider that....
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, there's a REAL recce-style AR, and there's a recce-type AR.  The real thing comes from the SEALs wanting an "intermediate" AR, something between an M4 and a sniper rifle.  The SPR, while popular in some circles, isn't a favorite child.  A recce rifle is a 16" flat-top (no FSP) with a SS 1/8 precision barrel (originally Lilja).  That is really what the original was, and many variants have sprung from there.  Even in the Navy (and lesser the Marines) the recce varies greatly.  Now it is generally and very broadly a 16" flat-top AR used for intermediate range, so it usually sports a 1-4, 1-6, or 3-9 optic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a HBar fan, what the hell am I doing in a lightweight thread?, lol!!! As others have said, reprofile the barrel and a different hand guard or rail will drop the most.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Use a Colt semi auto half circle bolt carrier as found in the Sporters and old Match Targets.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top