Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2014 4:53:06 PM EDT
Alrighty,

So all the parts came in for my lower and I just finished putting it together. I already have a couple things I want to switch out, but I am pretty happy that the build went smoothly. Here are some pics.

The parts list is as follows:

The things I am thinking about changing out are the castle nut and the end plate. Any suggestions on a castle nut that is anodized and actually matches the finish of the gun / stock? Same with the end plate, I think I want a QD end plate that looks clean. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Alrighty,

So all the parts came in for my lower and I just finished putting it together. I already have a couple things I want to switch out, but I am pretty happy that the build went smoothly. Here are some pics.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/816x395q90/537/aMBEyd.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/816x419q90/661/MocMZy.jpg

Royal Arms International Custom Billet Receiver
BADASS Safety (Thin)
BAD Enhanced Pin Set
Red Barn Armory Custom Lower Parts Kit
Geissele 2 Stage (G2S) Trigger
BCM Gunfighter Mod 3
Stag Arms Mil Spec Aftermarket Stock Kit
Battlelink Minimalist Stock
Spikes Tactical Heavy Buffer

The things I am thinking about changing out are the castle nut and the end plate. Any suggestions on a castle nut that is anodized and actually matches the finish of the gun / stock? Same with the end plate, I think I want a QD end plate that looks clean. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

View Quote

I am biased to the noveske qd end plate.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
i have 8.5" 300lbk with SDN6..   boy, i love shooting that thing.. it's a beautiful caliber with a suppressor.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at the Fortis QD Endplate. It looks pretty clean. Anyone have any experience with that one?

The upper that is coming is a normal 16" barrel. I'm not sure if I want to pick up a suppressor in the future. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the responses!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at the Fortis QD Endplate. It looks pretty clean. Anyone have any experience with that one?

The upper that is coming is a normal 16" barrel. I'm not sure if I want to pick up a suppressor in the future. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the responses!
View Quote

I have one on my AR Pistol, ordered it because the Nokeske QD end plate was OOS. I'm glad I did, it's featherweight and is anodized black. Very good looking, light, and functional with every QD swivel I've put in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alrighty,

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/816x395q90/537/aMBEyd.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/816x419q90/661/MocMZy.jpg

Royal Arms International Custom Billet Receiver
BADASS Safety (Thin)
BAD Enhanced Pin Set
Red Barn Armory Custom Lower Parts Kit
Geissele 2 Stage (G2S) Trigger
BCM Gunfighter Mod 3
Stag Arms Mil Spec Aftermarket Stock Kit
Battlelink Minimalist Stock
Spikes Tactical Heavy Buffer

+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The castle nut is steel and phosphated, not anodized.  The finish matches pretty well, and about as well as any I've seen.

I might go with an end plate with QD sling mounts.  Not only would that give you options the Minimalist stock doesn't, it would give you a bit of separation between the receiver and the castle nut, so the finishes will "blend" more and not be as noticeably different.  I mean the side-mount QDs, of course, like this one from Troy:

It comes in black too...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info on the castle nut. I suppose it will have to do if they don't manufacture aluminum castle nuts. I imagine they aren't strong enough of a material I guess. I think I am going to go with the fortis end-plate for now, and see how I like it.

Anyways! My upper came in! So I don't have any of my camera stuff out so this is coming straight from my phone and I imagine it will look terrible, but here's a couple quick pics.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice, welcome to the money pit!!!!! Love my 300 and can't shoot it enough.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nice, welcome to the money pit!!!!! Love my 300 and can't shoot it enough.

View Quote

Thanks! I'm looking forward to heading out to the range.

I'm thinking about getting into reloading to cut ammo cost a tiny bit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
OK. So I pulled out the camera and got a good pic. I think i'm going to put this in the official pic thread as well, so forgive me for double posting it.

Still need to get a couple upgrades and an optic.

Fortis End Plate

Raptor Charging Handle

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Love that nice clean lower... no markings...awesome
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Good looking rig man

Now, you need to give that baby what it needs via SDN-6
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#13]
How much did the lower run you?? I really like it as well...

Can you take a picture looking into the magwell?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks! I'm a fan as well.

Quoted:

Good looking rig man

I hear that, I have to look into all the paperwork I have to do. I've never done any ATF forms so we shall see how easy ends up being and how long it takes.

Quoted:

It was 160 or so. As for the pic, I am actually headed out to Vegas right now, but I can get a pic when I get back. What specifically are you looking for? Do you need decent lighting? Or is a phone pic fine?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Double tap..
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good looking rig man

I hear that, I have to look into all the paperwork I have to do. I've never done any ATF forms so we shall see how easy ends up being and how long it takes.

Quoted:

It was 160 or so. As for the pic, I am actually headed out to Vegas right now, but I can get a pic when I get back. What specifically are you looking for? Do you need decent lighting? Or is a phone pic fine?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good looking rig man

Quoted:

Nice stick!

Next get an NFA trust & efile. Wait is not bad at all. Most trust forms, which are state specific run about 200 bucks. Another 200 for stamp & away you go. Return time has gotten better on Efile recently.

Then build a pistol & really enjoy the quiet ergos.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Cool.

My son wants that stock on his M&P 15-22.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Ouch. It's $400 bucks just to own and register a suppressor? On top of the cost of the actual can? I may wait a minute on pulling that trigger. That would be close to the cost of the gun just by itself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#19]
love mine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Get that bolt catch pin hammered in. Nice stick man!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Get that bolt catch pin hammered in. Nice stick man!!

View Quote

Thanks man! What's the benefit to hammering in the bolt catch pin? Or is it not an optional step and I just didn't do it?

Along those same lines, what is the benefit of staking your castle nut?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Your pin is not in all the way, it was just a step you didn't finish.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Oh. That. I meant to ask. I installed the pin from the other side and it is flush. It appears to me the pin is too long. Where would I get a replacement? And why would an lpk come with a pin that is too long?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#24]
V7 endplate and nut are aluminum and a pretty good match being that their anodized as well. Bit pricey but very nice pieces and half the weight of original parts to boot. Got a few and can recommend whole heatedly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]
looks great, nice stick, congrats!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Really nice, clean lines and looks mean congrats!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh. That. I meant to ask. I installed the pin from the other side and it is flush. It appears to me the pin is too long. Where would I get a replacement? And why would an lpk come with a pin that is too long?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have an out of spec bolt catch pin, that is why. If it's flush one side or another and sticks out like that on the opposite side, yes, it's and out of spec pin. Pick up a in spec one from Spikes, Brownells, Midway, Joeboboutfitters, etc...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ouch. It's $400 bucks just to own and register a suppressor? On top of the cost of the actual can? I may wait a minute on pulling that trigger. That would be close to the cost of the gun just by itself.
View Quote

No, if you can get your local chief law enforcement officer to sign off on your application then you don't need the trust. It depends on the CLEO though...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks man! What's the benefit to hammering in the bolt catch pin? Or is it not an optional step and I just didn't do it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get that bolt catch pin hammered in. Nice stick man!!

Occasionly, especially if the castle nut was weakly torqued to begin with; under the normal recoil of shooting it can work it's way loose. It takes 3 minutes to properly stake the castle nut...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#30]
IWC end plates are really nice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No, if you can get your local chief law enforcement officer to sign off on your application then you don't need the trust. It depends on the CLEO though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the cost of establishing a trust depends on the attorney you have do it.  Mine didn't cost nearly that much, but it's just as valid.  And it doesn't have to be an NFA trust.  You need a living, revocable trust, that's all.  You can put anything in such a trust.  I caution against being too specific in naming a trust, too, because the formal name of the trust MUST be engraved on your SBR receiver.  So instead of a long, flowery, anti-banners and pro Second Amendment name, use something like "The Joe Schmo Trust."  Shorter, easier to engrave, and it gets the job done.

Trusts have other benefits, too, such as being able to use eForms.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top