Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2014 9:05:19 AM EDT
Anyone have a "Freedom" Series from PSA?  I currently don't have a 16 inch upper and decided that if I want to get one, I definitely want a middie.  I'd also prefer a dissipator for sight radius and you can more easily change to free float handguard in the future.  I'm assuming that the Freedom stuff is at least a notch above the PTAC series, but beneath the PSA standard stuff.  The write up doesn't say where the barrel comes from, so I'm sure it's not FN.  For $209.99, should I fo or not?

PSA 16" Mid-length Freedom Stainless Steel 1/7 Dissipator - Without BCG or Charging Handle

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered one Wednesday evening.  My only hang up is the SS barrel.  I'd rather not have to strip the barrel down and blast/coat it.  I don't do rattle cans.  But for the price why not?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered one Wednesday evening.  My only hang up is the SS barrel.  I'd rather not have to strip the barrel down and blast/coat it.  I don't do rattle cans.  But for the price why not?
View Quote

Stainless doesn't bother me, as long as it's a good barrel.  My concern is with quality.  Like you said, for the price, seems like a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I just bought the Stainless mid length 16 inch PSA Freedom upper.  I ran 100 rounds through it and it was flawless.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
If you need a BCG to go with it, Ares has theirs on sale for $67 and $10 shipping.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/wpboltcarrierassy

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#6]

As luck would have it; the 16" stainless midlength I want to build to your ammo burner spec this winter, is also chrome lined.  I will be able to post a PSA torture test for barrels
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you need a BCG to go with it, Ares has theirs on sale for $67 and $10 shipping.

View Quote

I've pretty much got everything else I need, but thanks for the link, that's a good price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I fo'd.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I fo'd.
View Quote
Awesome, what other parts are you using on the build?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

How good are these BCG's from this company and are they good to deal with?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd pay the extra $2 for the unit at AIM to not have the billboard logo in the ejection port.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the barrel profile under the handguards?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow that deal is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I fent on the SS middy Freedom upper. It will arrive Tuesday. Got some M193 too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember an issue brought up with PSA dissipators a while ago.
It was a cosmetic issue, where the A2 FSB would have a very slight gap around the barrel.

I don't know if this problem was addressed since then.

When you guys do receive the dissy uppers, could you check to see if it is fixed now?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fo'd.

PSA blem lower and parts kit, standard M4 buffer tube/stock set up, PSA premium BCG, Magpul MOE grip.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No idea
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember an issue brought up with PSA dissipators a while ago. It was a cosmetic issue, where the A2 FSB would have a very slight gap around the barrel.
When you guys do receive the dissy uppers, could you check to see if it is fixed now?

View Quote

I'll check for sure, but I imagine it will be couple of weeks at least.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stainless Dissy barrel profile pics here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/253052_PSA_16_Mid_length_Freedom_Stainless_Steel_1_7_Dissipator.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine just shipped yesterday(well, waiting for pickup by UPS).  Ordered 8/27.

3 days Palmetto!  I believe Palmetto and I can be friends once again.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mine just shipped yesterday(well, waiting for pickup by UPS).  Ordered 8/27.

3 days Palmetto!  I believe Palmetto and I can be friends once again.  
View Quote

I ordered my Stainless Upper and BCG on August 18, They arrived at my door on August 21.  They have revamped the shipping system and per PSA in the industry section they have most uppers listed in the daily deals ready to be shipped.   No more 15 day waits.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I got my Premium Blem in three days too
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#24]
great comp to deal with love the daily deals.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quick shipping this time as well.  As others have said, they must be making some of these freedom uppers ahead of time and have them sitting waiting on orders.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I remember an issue brought up with PSA dissipators a while ago. It was a cosmetic issue, where the A2 FSB would have a very slight gap around the barrel.

View Quote

This upper appears to have the same issue.  You only notice it on the bottom of the barrel.  What's weird is that the barrel is turned down just a bit after the gas block all the way to the end.  I guess maybe they were all just slightly oversized and were turned down just a hair to much.  The FSB is pinned on though.  I was assuming the FSB was on with set screws or something like that.  Overall, looks good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for the update
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This upper appears to have the same issue.  You only notice it on the bottom of the barrel.  What's weird is that the barrel is turned down just a bit after the gas block all the way to the end.  I guess maybe they were all just slightly oversized and were turned down just a hair to much.  The FSB is pinned on though.  I was assuming the FSB was on with set screws or something like that.  Overall, looks good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most likely they are building them from midlength profile barrels.  The barrels are .750 at the gas block, then drop to ~.730 in front.  The front sight is cut for the standard .750 gas block, but are mounted in front of the gas block where the barrel has the .730 profile, resulting in a small gap in the bottom.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most likely they are building them from midlength profile barrels.  The barrels are .750 at the gas block, then drop to ~.730 in front.  The front sight is cut for the standard .750 gas block, but are mounted in front of the gas block where the barrel has the .730 profile, resulting in a small gap in the bottom.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

FWIW I dont normally post here, but was brought to these pages after a search of the FSB Gap on the PSA dissipators.

I can confirm that the freedom dissipator I received does have a noticeable gap, measured barrel is .730 forward of the gas block.

Removal of the hand guards seems to confirm this is a middy barrel that was modified to accept a FSB closer to the muzzle (for lack of a better description).

I took pictures, but cant upload/host them here.

The inside of the upper is a bit ugly and would not expect the poor finish on anything other than a blem (FYI this was not marketed as a blem), but I dont doubt it will run fine.

Im not a rich guy, but for the price I paid I am unwilling to put the effort into returning, being charged a restocking fee, and losing my shipping cost.

However had I known from the get go, I would not have purchased it. It kind of blows my mind that such a large manufacturer would go sub par of the industry standard/practice in regards to the FSB and barrel diameter. This should have been either a correct dissy barrel, or it should have at least been marketed as a mid length barrel that was modified to accept a FSB. The lack of disclosure of the undersize barrel/oversize FSB is not a welcome surprise.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

FWIW I dont normally post here, but was brought to these pages after a search of the FSB Gap on the PSA dissipators.

I can confirm that the freedom dissipator I received does have a noticeable gap, measured barrel is .730 forward of the gas block.

Removal of the hand guards seems to confirm this is a middy barrel that was modified to accept a FSB closer to the muzzle (for lack of a better description).

The inside of the upper is a bit ugly and would not expect the poor finish on anything other than a blem (FYI this was not marketed as a blem), but I dont doubt it will run fine.

Im not a rich guy, but for the price I paid I am unwilling to put the effort into returning, being charged a restocking fee, and losing my shipping cost.

However had I known from the get go, I would not have purchased it. It kind of blows my mind that such a large manufacturer would go sub par of the industry standard/practice in regards to the FSB and barrel diameter. This should have been either a correct dissy barrel, or it should have at least been marketed as a mid length barrel that was modified to accept a FSB. The lack of disclosure of the undersize barrel/oversize FSB is not a welcome surprise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunate that you got the proverbial shaft from PSA.  Had you been a member here slightly longer you most likely would have read one of the many threads describing the poor QC from them.

The situation you describe actually goes a bit beyond their customary poor QC into the realm of "Hope the buyer knows zip" and "did I really just spend money on this?"

I would of had them take it back and pay for the return shipping.  No doubt the PSA fanboys here will tell a very different story but that's to be expected and this is just my opinion.

Discussions concerning PSA's business model is one for GD no doubt.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like PSA and I would send that shit back. that is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does it matter if there is a .02'' total gap (.01'' per "side")? It's a pinned front sight. It's not going to MOVE and it doesn't have to be a perfect fit because there is no gas flowing to the block. It would be for aesthetic purposes only, which doesn't warrant having the company make an entire new barrel profile thus raising costs.

The ugly finish he was talking about is probably just the grey-ish dry lube applied thicker in some spots, which is not indicative of anything at all. It's rarely uniform.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why does it matter if there is a .02'' total gap (.01'' per "side")? It's a pinned front sight. It's not going to MOVE and it doesn't have to be a perfect fit because there is no gas flowing to the block. It would be for aesthetic purposes only, which doesn't warrant having the company make an entire new barrel profile thus raising costs.

The ugly finish he was talking about is probably just the grey-ish dry lube applied thicker in some spots, which is not indicative of anything at all. It's rarely uniform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about if it will work or not. It's about cutting corners and not telling the customer what exactly they are buying.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's not about if it will work or not. It's about cutting corners and not telling the customer what exactly they are buying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Baloney.  People know they are buying a $250 upper.  If you want perfection buy a high end >$1000 upper.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Baloney.  People know they are buying a $250 upper.  If you want perfection buy a high end >$1000 upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little bit of both. They are cutting a corner in order to bring that $250 upper to the market. However, that cut corner has absolutely no negative impact unless someone can't stand a .01'' gap on either side of their barrel. Again - it's pinned so it's not going to move.

On the standard PSA Dissy ad, they post that the barrel is a "modified A2 profile" for this reason. I'd be willing to bet they just overlooked that on the SS barreled uppers.
Link here

There was actually a big thread on it a while back where a guy stuck .005'' brass shims in to show the gap

Quoted:
OP, we apologize for any misconceptions you may have divined from the description. However, since you started this thread here after getting a response from us on our forum, you seem to desire more than a refund, and a full flogging of both the final inspector, and our product description writing team, so here goes:

The "modified A2 profile" referred to in the description refers to the mid-length gas system, as there is no mid-length "A2" profile. We take full responsibility for the lack of clarity here. It costs no more to add words to a web page, and, in hindsight, this could be confusing. In the interest of being more clear, the description has been changed to "A2 Style", instead of "modified A2", and a full disclaimer of the assembly process is included on the bottom of the page.

We do take issue with your characterization of the FSB. The front sight base of this particular model has no function in the gas function of the rifle, as such is does not require a gas-tight seal around the barrel. The front sight base is taper pinned to the barrel and the front end cap is securely attached to the front sight base with a screw through the non-functioning, and unused, gas port of the sight base. As with any other taper pin fsb, it will not move. Having a zero tolerance fit at the fsb will not make the upper shoot better or last longer. As has been reported here by other users, this method of assembly has no ill effect on the function of the rifle.
We strive to produce a quality product at a price the working man can afford. This upper is an excellent value, unless you find yourself under constant attack by small strips of paper.

We do apologize for the low profile gas block - that should not have been shipped in that condition. We are happy to hear that CS was able to address your complaint in a timely manner. Please PM us if you need any further assistance.

We thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Finally got to test fire last weekend.  It runs well.  I did have to adjust the rear sight a little further left than I like, but I was able to easily zero it, so no problem there.  I do have some issue with my lower though where I have to figure out why the trigger doesn't reset every shot.  It does with hand-cycling though.  I made another post about that as I feel it's unrelated to the upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top