View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
BUMP because, well...AWESOME!
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
LSW Testing

(If someone with a membership would embed, that would be awesome)

My theory hinges on the fact that maximum rate of fire, while awesome on the range and downright terrifying downrange for short periods, is not especially practical for a magazine-fed individual weapon. Instead, I believe that a lower rate of fire, say 400rpm, will balance suppression with managing barrel heat and ammunition consumption. This will allow the weapon to stay in the fight longer before needing to cool the barrel or exhausting ammunition. I suspect that a light single-stage trigger will be ideal for this role; I have considered binary triggers but I honestly don't think (at this time) they are worth the expense.

However, calling such a weapon a SAW doesn't quite work. I'm thinking that LSW, or Light Support Weapon, is probably a better term. It has better sustained-fire capability than a standard rifle or carbine, while only gaining a couple pounds in weight, but is not on the same level as a 249. Frankly, given the context in which it would be utilized, it doesn't need to be.

Ammunition will probably be carried in a single D60, to be loaded in the weapon when on a patrol, and a large number of 40-round magazines. The D60 will provide massive initial firepower when reacting to or initiating contact. It would be great to carry all rounds in D60s, but they are very bulky and not suitable to being carried on individual LBE in quantity. The 40-rounders seem to be a good compromise between capacity and size.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  LSW Testing

View Quote
Light Support AR-15 - First Shots

I think the most common mag to feed bumpSAWs will be the standard 30 rounder, so tactics and SOP should be based on that.  40s, 60s, 90s, 100s, 150s, & belt feds are nice, but not the norm.

I agree w/ you on the ROF - similar to the M1918A2, which was limited to a 20 round mag.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think the most common mag to feed bumpSAWs will be the standard 30 rounder, so tactics and SOP should be based on that.  40s, 60s, 90s, 100s, 150s, & belt feds are nice, but not the norm.

-
View Quote
Definitely. I'll probably be acquiring a single D60 to start, but 30s will be the most common by a long shot. The smaller magazine just reinforces my opinion on rate of fire.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LSW Testing

My theory hinges on the fact that maximum rate of fire, while awesome on the range and downright terrifying downrange for short periods, is not especially practical for a magazine-fed individual weapon. Instead, I believe that a lower rate of fire, say 400rpm, will balance suppression with managing barrel heat and ammunition consumption. This will allow the weapon to stay in the fight longer before needing to cool the barrel or exhausting ammunition. I suspect that a light single-stage trigger will be ideal for this role; I have considered binary triggers but I honestly don't think (at this time) they are worth the expense.

However, calling such a weapon a SAW doesn't quite work. I'm thinking that LSW, or Light Support Weapon, is probably a better term. It has better sustained-fire capability than a standard rifle or carbine, while only gaining a couple pounds in weight, but is not on the same level as a 249. Frankly, given the context in which it would be utilized, it doesn't need to be.

Ammunition will probably be carried in a single D60, to be loaded in the weapon when on a patrol, and a large number of 40-round magazines. The D60 will provide massive initial firepower when reacting to or initiating contact. It would be great to carry all rounds in D60s, but they are very bulky and not suitable to being carried on individual LBE in quantity. The 40-rounders seem to be a good compromise between capacity and size.
View Quote
@SoutherPhantom

poppycockle!

In all seriousness though LSW probably does describe it a tad better, even if my stick respectfully disagrees

30 rounders are more viable if moving, and not stationary. Welcome to the discussion

Pics of your device? Looks pretty compact
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@SoutherPhantom

poppycockle!

https://i.imgur.com/A2UWl3A.jpg
View Quote
That's fantastic - a true bump SAW!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#8]
"Ammunition will probably be carried in a single D60, to be loaded in the weapon when on a patrol, and a large number of 40-round magazines. The D60 will provide massive initial firepower when reacting to or initiating contact. It would be great to carry all rounds in D60s, but they are very bulky and not suitable to being carried on individual LBE in quantity. The 40-rounders seem to be a good compromise between capacity and size."

That makes sense, and is in line with both the RPK and AUG HBAR- which rely on their 42-45rd magazines.

A D60 + 6x40rds bandolier is a 300rd loadout, which is about 1/2 a SAW loadout - pretty practical for an Automatic Rifle /LSW concept.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree w/ you on the ROF - similar to the M1918A2, which was limited to a 20 round mag.
View Quote
47-round pan mag is coming soon for the BumpLewis!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  47-round pan mag is coming soon for the BumpLewis!
View Quote
That's awesome, and would answer my personal concern about going to the dirt with a large mag.

I still have a Lego bumpstock in the back of my mind, which of course could be built upside down, allowing us to run a bump BREN with offset red dots.  It would also permit a 10 round ammo hopper for the poor bastards behind enemy lines, which could be topped off w/ stripper clips.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@SoutherPhantom

poppycockle!

In all seriousness though LSW probably does describe it a tad better, even if my stick respectfully disagrees

30 rounders are more viable if moving, and not stationary. Welcome to the discussion

Pics of your device? Looks pretty compact
View Quote
That is an awesome build you've got there!

Pics as requested:

The bottom weapon is the LSW. It only has a BUIS right now; a BDC prism optic is next on the list. Barrel is a 20" CL HBAR from Del-Ton.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Pics as requested:
http://i.imgur.com/JO3USQs.jpg

The bottom weapon is the LSW. It only has a BUIS right now; a BDC prism optic is next on the list. Barrel is a 20" CL HBAR from Del-Ton.
View Quote
So you have no mods to the gun? Relying on grip alone to actuate bump?
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So you have no mods to the gun? Relying on grip alone to actuate bump?
View Quote
Correct, no mods.

I wasn't technically bump-firing the weapon, just pulling the trigger very quickly from a bipod-braced position
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pics as requested:
http://i.imgur.com/JO3USQs.jpg

View Quote
Which prism optic do you plan to use?

Going to make a full loadout for it?  IIRC M27 gunners are issued 21 of the 30's.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Which prism optic do you plan to use?

Going to make a full loadout for it?  IIRC M27 gunners are issued 21 of the 30's.
View Quote
I've got a Primary Arms 2.5x on order that I will test on it; I may wind up going for a 3x or 5x but that remains to be seen. I've thought about a used M145 MGO, but the weight and weak mount put me off that idea. The goal is to have enough magnification to improve accuracy but not reduce speed, with a BDC for area fires at longer ranges.

I certainly plan on acquiring something like a full loadout. 1x D60 and 6x PMAG-40 will be the starting point @300 rounds, and I may go up to 380, 420, or 460 depending on what type of LBE I use with it. That many magazines may get a bit cumbersome with plates.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]
After fiddling a bit with the 2.5x, I don't think it's the correct optic for this weapon. I'm now leaning towards an open holographic sight with a magnifier, or maybe a 3x or 5x PA prism for the better BDC design. FOV is key for this application.

Anyone else have experience with different optics on a bumpSAW/LSW/IAR? I'd like effective fires out to at least 500m.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I tried the PA 5x prism. The eye relief wasn't enough for me when properly shouldering the stock. I'm looking at the Vortex UH-1, but some bills need to come first. Or the money may go towards getting my MV Agusta F3
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been happy with the 3x burris, but I don't care for the 5x model as much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tried the PA 5x prism. The eye relief wasn't enough for me when properly shouldering the stock. I'm looking at the Vortex UH-1, but some bills need to come first. Or the money may go towards getting my MV Agusta F3
View Quote
Thanks for the heads-up! Bad eye relief is a deal-breaker for me. An EoTech would be perfect, if they didn't have such well-publicized issues with quality and honesty. I may use the Holosun open holographic sight instead.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#20]
@King_Mud

Welcome to the fray
For us wrong handed folks, they do make most of the bump stocks in left handed models.

The SSAR-15 MOD has the shelf that is pretty easy to flip between left and right handed.

The fostech, like I have, has an individual piece that screws into the bottom of the stock that is attached to the pistol grip. So not a very easy thing to switch to right handed if you have others that want to shoot it.

I simply tell them to adapt, I have to adapt to all their right handed bullshit and I do just fine

So when you going to build one?

Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I really need some more range time 
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I really need some more range time 
View Quote
You and me both. I am going to try to get some time in Wed. Depends how long my a.m. meeting goes. I need to get my Garand sighted in as well. The front sight was way off and I didn't have any tools for it
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Swapped to the Sharps XRC bcg. I needed it to activate my automatic safety block - shown in the safety on position.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is the sharps bcg.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@King_Mud

Welcome to the fray
For us wrong handed folks, they do make most of the bump stocks in left handed models.

The SSAR-15 MOD has the shelf that is pretty easy to flip between left and right handed.

The fostech, like I have, has an individual piece that screws into the bottom of the stock that is attached to the pistol grip. So not a very easy thing to switch to right handed if you have others that want to shoot it.

I simply tell them to adapt, I have to adapt to all their right handed bullshit and I do just fine

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/hiRes/411554403_1.jpg

So when you going to build one?
https://i.imgur.com/UUlNg8w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/A2UWl3A.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLpYlxLc1vU
View Quote
Interdasting. Thanks for the link. I’m gonna read up on this thread as I don’t know anything about these things.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interdasting. Thanks for the link. I’m gonna read up on this thread as I don’t know anything about these things.
View Quote
welcome to the moneypit awesome times
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
For you fellas wantin quick change bbls:

$200
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For you fellas wantin quick change bbls:

$200
View Quote
not bad

from BCA's site
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#29]
@mbell just posted a nice video of his IAR upper build.  He used the Colt handguard from their IAR entry and mixed it with a gas piston from superlative and an SRC bolt.  Very interesting setup and I'm looking forward to the video on how it shoots. 
IAR M27 Upper Receiver Build: Knight's Armament, Superlative Arms & Bear Creek Arsenal

These handguards are $300 on gunbroker.  I'm tempted to pick one up.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/717150421
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Happy Thanskgiving to the bumpcrew. Have a safe and Happy holiday
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks Happy Thanksgiving to you as well

AIM has the Sharps DLC BCG on sale 15% off.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks Happy Thanksgiving to you as well

AIM has the Sharps DLC BCG on sale 15% off.
View Quote
Link? Shows OOS
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Link? Shows OOS
View Quote
The bolt is OOS but the whole BCG is still available.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSRXPB&name=Sharps+Rifle+XPB+(Xtreme+Performance+Bolt)+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Doesn't play well with my lightweight bcg sidechrger
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]
in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
in.
View Quote
Is Florida Man ever out?
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Whelp, AIM was oos, but Optics Planet had it, used one of Jesse's coupons for 10% off so it was $64.79
Close enough.

Has anyone here attempted to lighten a Fostech stock? I need to find some ways to lighten up my build. Thinking of reprofiling the barrel with aluminum cooling fins.
What sayeth the hive?
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I haven't tried cutting weight yet.

I just ordered parts for two new uppers. KAC 13.5" URX 3.1 rails. SRC BCG's. Faxon gas blocks. Aero T marked uppers.

Should be fun
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#40]
My next purchase is going to be a 45-70 and a Hybrid
Should have the 45-70 before xmas.
The bumpsaw will have to do without a little brother for the foreseeable future
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#41]
3-D printed bumpfire stock w/ $5 in materials:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/3d-printed-stock/4-720678/

Link Posted: 11/26/2017 3:29:35 AM EDT
[#42]
I do not need a 3d printer

Link Posted: 11/26/2017 3:31:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is Florida Man ever out?
View Quote
Hmm, he was "in" a bunch of threads about that time yesterday...
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I just received my Whiskey Arms LBC aluminum BCG.  I’m looking forward to testing it with my BumpSAW.

Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just received my Whiskey Arms LBC aluminum BCG.  I'm looking forward to testing it with my BumpSAW.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64548/CAFFCFB7-9858-4FCD-8C38-2AB662D7FD6D-386546.jpg
View Quote
Very nice. Let us know how it goes.

My aluminum bcg seemed like it was a little harder to bump with. I think my upper weight was on the heavy side and mixed with the light bolt carrier I wasn't getting the recoil I needed to bump easily.  Didn't help that I was trying to use a beta mag.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#46]
My new bump upper.

Got another almost the same in the works. Second one has DLC coated bcg instead of FDE.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Nice. Hopefully Wed I'll make it to the range to run the reliabolt a bit.
Fluted upper? Can't tell on the cell
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nice. Hopefully Wed I'll make it to the range to run the reliabolt a bit.
Fluted upper? Can't tell on the cell
View Quote
Looks like a Nitrided HBAR to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Looks like a Nitrided HBAR to me.
View Quote
Yep. 18" mid gas,  nitrided 4150 from Bear Creek.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice.

Looked fluted on my phone

I have a bear creek upper receiver on my bumpsaw. I like it.

I really need to get a cheapo upper for a trunk gun.
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top