Next up: Talking guns
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next up: Talking guns
View Quote

Yyyyyyyessssssss!

EDIT: as long as I'm not paying for all the damn ammo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I was close to Washington,  we could get together and have some sweet video.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wish I was close to Washington,  we could get together and have some sweet video.
View Quote

What state are you from?

That would be pretty cool, actually.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
ADRAC!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my faulty surefire mag back and I've opened my gas port.  Hopefully I can get out and shoot a bit this weekend.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find my camera charger so I may be stuck with cell phone video.        

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got my faulty surefire mag back and I've opened my gas port.  Hopefully I can get out and shoot a bit this weekend.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find my camera charger so I may be stuck with cell phone video.          
View Quote

What was wrong with it again? Mine has beed 100% thus far, and I use it every time I'm out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What was wrong with it again? Mine has beed 100% thus far, and I use it every time I'm out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have two 60rd versions.  One worked fine and the other wouldn't feed rounds to the top. About halfway through loading it would freeze up.  My floor plate was marked, when it came back the floor plate was the same but it looks like they changed the magazine body.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have two 60rd versions.  One worked fine and the other wouldn't feed rounds to the top. About halfway through loading it would freeze up.  My floor plate was marked, when it came back the floor plate was the same but it looks like they changed the magazine body.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's so weird how companies do this stuff. Why not just send a new mag? It cost more in labor to figure out what is wrong with the mag and rebuild it than it would to just toss a new one in a box.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's so weird how companies do this stuff. Why not just send a new mag? It cost more in labor to figure out what is wrong with the mag and rebuild it than it would to just toss a new one in a box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It might be important to figure out what's wrong w/ the mag.  Might not be the only mag that's screwed up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It might be important to figure out what's wrong w/ the mag.  Might not be the only mag that's screwed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, which is why I'd want a pile of malfunctioning magazines to get statistically significant data from them.

One bad mag body might be anything from a manufacturing defect to shipping damage.

It's easier to evaluate them at one time, or it would seem like it should be.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Centerfire has a folding carry handle that would help complete the SAW look
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Centerfire has a folding carry handle that would help complete the SAW look
View Quote

That's actually why I went to the picatinny gas block...

It will actually serve a purpose though, and that is a way to pick it up when its hot. Forget about opening or closing the bipod when it's been shot recently.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It will actually serve a purpose though, and that is a way to pick it up when its hot. Forget about opening or closing the bipod when it's been shot recently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Centerfire has a folding carry handle that would help complete the SAW look

Seems like the AR used to have a built-in carry handle, but I've not seen any recently.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seems like the AR used to have a built-in carry handle, but I've not seen any recently.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Centerfire has a folding carry handle that would help complete the SAW look

Yeah, but mine is going up near the end of the barrel. Like an Ulitmax

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#16]
That's what I was getting at..post pics when you do!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If by carry handle you mean sight riser/ charging handle guard, then yea.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was just looking for the M4 carry handle thread to post this in:

http://www.thegunzone.com/556dw-10.html

1994:
 August: AMCCOM awards a $369,600 contract to Colt related to the M16.

The US Army officially adopts the M4 and M4A1 Carbines. Only the first lot of M4 will be delivered with fixed carrying handles. Afterwards, all M4/M4A1 in inventory will be shipped with flat-top upper receivers.

You're one of those receiver extension purists, ain't'cha?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]
It has been and always will be a CARRYING HANDLE where you pick it up and carry it. It's just not looked at by the military as good gun safety for some reason; unlike picking up a BF M240 and carrying it over your shoulders which is on par with carrying an M16 like a briefcase.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It has been and always will be a CARRYING HANDLE where you pick it up and carry it. It's just not looked at by the military as good gun safety for some reason; unlike picking up a BF M240 and carrying it over your shoulders which is on par with carrying an M16 like a briefcase.
View Quote

It's just a carry over of the original design.  Functionally it sucks as a carry handle due to the size and placement reletive to the CG.

Carry handle is just a colloquial term sure it's been accepted as a common term for it, but it still sucks in that function.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Armalite_AR10/AR10_PortugueseDelftScopeLeft.jpg
It's just a carry over of the original design.  Functionally it sucks as a carry handle due to the size and placement reletive to the CG.

Carry handle is just a colloquial term sure it's been accepted as a common term for it, but it still sucks in that function.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/Armalite_AR10/AR10_PortugueseDelftScopeLeft.jpg

correct
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's still a carry handle. It has double function as a guard for the charging handle, but bet your ass it's meant to be carried. The M16 carries fine by them—I carried 3 in one hand like that when moving from Kuwait to Iraq.

Lots of guns from the same era had carry handles. It's mitilary doctrine (don't pick up the MG like that on an open bolt or the barrel might fall off)  that has shamed people away from using it.

Here are some other guns with no detachable barrel and a handle in the same spot. You want to tell me these aren't carry handles?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That's still a carry handle. It has double function as a guard for the charging handle, but bet your ass it's meant to be carried. The M16 carries fine by them—I carried 3 in one hand like that when moving from Kuwait to Iraq.

Lots of guns from the same era had carry handles. It's mitilary doctrine (don't pick up the MG like that on an open bolt or the barrel might fall off)  that has shamed people away from using it.

Here are some other guns with no detachable barrel and a handle in the same spot. You want to tell me these aren't carry handles?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeIhl46IIQUpYRZYN6JYI1n-TjdW4Up5YZMWBRf_ipWQqVVBwF

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/pantadeusz/FAL_carrying_handle_left.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/e/ec/FNBARtypeD8mm.jpg/450px-FNBARtypeD8mm.jpg

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/573/11643553/img_8276.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeIhl46IIQUpYRZYN6JYI1n-TjdW4Up5YZMWBRf_ipWQqVVBwF

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/pantadeusz/FAL_carrying_handle_left.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/e/ec/FNBARtypeD8mm.jpg/450px-FNBARtypeD8mm.jpg

Notice the common theme of all of them being shaped like handles, big enough for anyone even with gloves on to get their hands solidly aroung them, and primarily being anchored at the CG?

The AR-15/ M-16 carry handle is none of those things.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Notice the common theme of all of them being shaped like handles, big enough for anyone even with gloves on to get their hands solidly aroung them, and primarily being anchored at the CG?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all of those things. The front of the handle attaches to the front of the receiver the same as any other of the guns shown. It's wide enough to get your hand into unless you're wearing fast roping gloves. It is also SHAPED LIKE A HANDLE. Sorry, it's bullshit. All the salt dogs got their asses chewed going back to VN because some motard didn't like the way it looked.

In the end it's convenient and safe, it's just out of style. The flagging argument is ridiculous, since you'd equally be flagging someone if you were carrying it one handed in a case or bag.

Edit: the A1 is a lot less nose heavy than the A2, and that's going to change the CG a bit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's all of those things. The front of the handle attaches to the front of the receiver the same as any other of the guns shown. It's wide enough to get your hand into unless you're wearing fast roping gloves. It is also SHAPED LIKE A HANDLE. Sorry, it's bullshit. All the salt dogs got their asses chewed going back to VN because some motard didn't like the way it looked.

In the end it's convenient and safe, it's just out of style. The flagging argument is ridiculous, since you'd equally be flagging someone if you were carrying it one handed in a case or bag.

Edit: the A1 is a lot less nose heavy than the A2, and that's going to change the CG a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SNIP

Yet, When Colt was all "we need a carry handle on this" they put a real carry handle.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/08/01/496134_01_like_new_colt_lmg_upper_in_box_640.jpg

Yet, When Colt was all "we need a carry handle on this" they put a real carry handle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/08/01/496134_01_like_new_colt_lmg_upper_in_box_640.jpg

More weight forward of the receiver = new CG.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I went shooting Saturday and had lots of trouble

I was trying to get Wolff/Tulammo to work and kept having problems.  The biggest issue was a failure to feed. The rounds were catching on the feed ramps of the receiver extension.  It seemed to be a bigger problem for the top couple of rounds.

I swapped to ZQ1 and the first round caught when I dropped the bolt catch.  I tapped it closed with forward assist and the round stuck when I went to extract it with the charging handle.  I mortared it and got it out.  Tried closing from the bolt catch again (but this time feeding from the left side of the magazine) and it hung too.  After that the rest of the mag bumped just fine.

I'm going to scrub the chamber good to help with the extraction sticking.  Then I think I'm going to touch up the feed ramps and keep it from gouging the rounds on the way in.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went shooting Saturday and had lots of trouble

I was trying to get Wolff/Tulammo to work and kept having problems.  The biggest issue was a failure to feed. The rounds were catching on the feed ramps of the receiver extension.  It seemed to be a bigger problem for the top couple of rounds.

I swapped to ZQ1 and the first round caught when I dropped the bolt catch.  I tapped it closed with forward assist and the round stuck when I went to extract it with the charging handle.  I mortared it and got it out.  Tried closing from the bolt catch again (but this time feeding from the left side of the magazine) and it hung too.  After that the rest of the mag bumped just fine.

I'm going to scrub the chamber good to help with the extraction sticking.  Then I think I'm going to touch up the feed ramps and keep it from gouging the rounds on the way in.

View Quote

What type of mag? I ask because it could be weight related.

That's basically what one of my MWG90 mags was doing. I was able to push forward on the bottom of the mag and get the rounds to nose up into the chamber. I plan on putting a coat of black RTV on the bottom-rear of the mag to make sure it stays like that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#29]
A couple pmags, surefire 60 and USGI aluminum.  I had feed issues on the first couple rounds with all of them.        

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting. Just for shits and giggles, would you try filling one of the offending mags and try closing the bolt on it while cranking the mag forward from the bottom? I did this on the MWG90—a mag that had worked fine before, then suddenly didn't want to feed.

If it works but doesn't close normally I'd have to wonder if it's not the magazine catch beating up on the mags.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Interesting. Just for shits and giggles, would you try filling one of the offending mags and try closing the bolt on it while cranking the mag forward from the bottom? I did this on the MWG90—a mag that had worked fine before, then suddenly didn't want to feed.

If it works but doesn't close normally I'd have to wonder if it's not the magazine catch beating up on the mags.
View Quote
It's possible the mag catch is sitting low.  My M16A4 in Iraq didn't always like to close on the first round (with 30 loaded) always worked fine with 28.  I may play around with it at home some time.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's possible the mag catch is sitting low.  My M16A4 in Iraq didn't always like to close on the first round (with 30 loaded) always worked fine with 28.  I may play around with it at home some time.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, we always filled to 28 in Iraq. People here think that's some kind of superstition. If they laid prone on their mags for a living they might understand.

About your issue, here is where I am not sure it's the catch being low. Your mags worked at one point and now they don't. To me, that says something has changed shape. If my perviously working mag is having the same problem in two different lowers, and you are having the same issue on a Bump-SAW, I can't help but suspect the constant movement on the mag catch as a culprit. Obviously this is just a hunch.

I will have to take a detailed look when I am home later this evening. I have an unfired MWG90 that I can compare it to with some calipers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm getting very heavy scratches on the bullet tip from the feed ramp.  When I fire the rifle with 5.56 pressure ammunition it runs every time, it's only when loading the first round or shooting lower pressure wolf that I was having trouble.

I think touching up the feed ramps will solve the issue on my rifle.  It shouldn't gouge the bullet so hard every time it loads.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Why do you suppose the 5.56 makes it feed any better? Is steel harder to strip out of a magazine or something?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why do you suppose the 5.56 makes it feed any better? Is steel harder to strip out of a magazine or something?
View Quote
I think the 5.56 is getting a full cycle and has more bolt velocity before it starts driving the round forward.  The Tulammo is barely getting past the bolt catch and had less bolt velocity.  Almost all malfunctions where with the mag at max or near max capacity.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think the 5.56 is getting a full cycle and has more bolt velocity before it starts driving the round forward.  The Tulammo is barely getting past the bolt catch and had less bolt velocity.  Almost all malfunctions where with the mag at max or near max capacity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm... I wonder if I don't have this problem due to my carbine gas system?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Carbine gas system will usually have more gas.  Obviously the gas ports are different sizes and you can undersize a carbine gas port.  Rifle gas dissipators have always struggled with Tulammo.        

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#38]
The obvious question, did you load a full mag, or download it by a few rounds?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
30 out of 30.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

30 out of 30.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

30 out of 30.

LOL there it is.

Load 28 next time in the same mags and see if it happens.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I've been thinking about trying a Sprinco Red or Orange spring.  Any thoughts?

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I am thinking for my bump SAW build about a 20" piston driven (to keep heat down) Heavy Barrel upper If I can even find one. I looked hard a Colt or Diemaco LMG upper but have read that the thicker gas tubes are impossible to replace.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Have you looked at the Adams Arms piston kits? You could probably buy a heavy barrel and then put an AA kit on it for a heavy barreled piston upper.

I wouldn't want to use a hard to replace upper/barrel combination like the old Colt's as your going to burn a barrel out if you shoot much.  I would be more likely to purchase a V7 Inconel gas tube and build my own upper.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the Adams Arms piston kits? You could probably buy a heavy barrel and then put an AA kit on it for a heavy barreled piston upper.

I wouldn't want to use a hard to replace upper/barrel combination like the old Colt's as your going to burn a barrel out if you shoot much.  I would be more likely to purchase a V7 Inconel gas tube and build my own upper.

View Quote

I pondered the same thing, and then figured I'd go with a cheaper M4 contour with a JP heatsink. Watching how much my Bump-SAW slows down with more ammunition makes me hesitant to add weight. That's why my 18" build never made it to the range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#45]
this is what happens when you have a free day, bored and online. I went through this thread and just ordered a bumpfire stock. i have a beater dmps that this will be going on. all i need is a bipod adapter
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
this is what happens when you have a free day, bored and online. I went through this thread and just ordered a bumpfire stock. i have a beater dmps that this will be going on. all i need is a bipod adapter
View Quote

Nice....

What kind of bipod do you plan to run?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I put an Adams Arms upper on my Bumpfire lower.
I couldn't get it to run consistently with Wolf polymer coated ammo.
It would run 4-5 shots at most.
Seemed under powered.
It would fire fine single shot but wouldn't extract and load the next round.
Frustrating.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

A heavier spring will absolutely help with that in my experience. I like to run them in anything that will tolerate it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmmm...

I have the blue in my serious-business gun and it definitely works well, but it always did, really.

I think I would like to try the red or orange with my geissele. I want that thing to work so bad...
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Hmmmm...

I have the blue in my serious-business gun and it definitely works well, but it always did, really.

I think I would like to try the red or orange with my geissele. I want that thing to work so bad...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmm...

I'd really like to try a high speed camera so I could time how long it takes for the bolt to close with different springs.  It would also be useful to see how much bolt bounce was happening.

Page / 21
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top