AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rainier has had bolts for $40 for almost a year now.
View Quote
+1 This.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Rainier has had bolts for $40 for almost a year now.
View Quote

The only problem with Rainier is that a $40 purchase usually becomes $400 every damn time I go to their site.

Lord, I am a weak man.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have this bolt carrier group in my spare parts bag.

http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-223-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-mpi-black-1b1b6-158-carpenter.htm

Unfortunately they have a tendancy to turn into complete uppers if I'm not carefull.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have spare bolts and carriers I would keep some spare bolts complete a few keys and scres for them,firing pins and retaining pins
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I can't have any spare parts around. They always end up being an extra rifle I built for a 'good deal'.
View Quote
+1. Everytime I buy a spare bolt it ends up becoming a spare rifle.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, wait until THESE come back in stock. They should be in a couple of weeks at the latest. For the money, IMHO, they are the best BCG's available... I went with their Nickel Boron BCG for $99 and it's been solid. I bought just the V2 bolt heads as back-ups for my other AR's for the parts bin for $45 each delivered a while back...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That one does have a nice NP3 coating, but it's not worth an extra $150 IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a good part to have as a spare. What bcg are you looking at for $250 ?

THIS ONE  Its identical to the one that is in my rifle right now.  I dont know much about AR's...so I thought maybe I should stick with drop-in factory replacement parts from WC.
That one does have a nice NP3 coating, but it's not worth an extra $150 IMO.

Hell no it sure isn't... I have hard chrome Les Baer BCG's bought during the panic for $150 that were a better buy that the Wilson one referenced... OP, the AIM-Surplus Nickel Boron BCG is a very solid buy for $99. At least that is how much they were a month ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]

I found carrying a BCG around to be difficult, especially if the SHTF.  So, I keep a spare FN bolt, firing, cam and retaining pin in my Magpul grip.  If you need a spare BCG Pin kit I have a couple of Spikes Kits left for $18 shipped on the EE here.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I have several spare bolts in my parts box, along with extra pins, firing pins, gas rings, etc.  I have ONE spare carrier "just in case," but no spare complete BCGs.  Spare parts are important, but you can go way too far - and some folks have found that spare assemblies tend to grow whole new guns.  Small parts have a harder time getting traction to grow bigger.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a few spare BCGs kicking around, but at least one spare bolt/extractor & parts/gas rings/firing pin & retainer/cam for each rifle.  The spare BCGs were picked up either during sales or for intended builds that never manifested or from trying out 'new' ones.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just curious,thought I'd ask.

Those of yall that keep spare BCG's/bolts on hand,do you have a certain brand preference,or do you just buy various manufacturers assemblies?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a spare bolt, cam pin, O-rings, bolt rebuild kit, and firing pin, but I don't worry about the carrier itself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a spare bolt, cam pin, O-rings, bolt rebuild kit, and firing pin, but I don't worry about the carrier itself.
View Quote

If you ever break a gas key screw, you'll wish you had a spare carrier

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see where you're coming from, and I agree in principal, but.....  Have enough grade 8 gas key screws failed to worry about it?  There are always unexpected failures, but these are not wearing parts, stressed yes, but not direct wear.  I have factory Noveske and BCM guns, both of which would more than likely replace the carrier for that kind of breakage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just curious,thought I'd ask.

Those of yall that keep spare BCG's/bolts on hand,do you have a certain brand preference,or do you just buy various manufacturers assemblies?
View Quote

Spikes and anything from Aim-Surplus, especially their V2 series Nitride treated C158 and even Aim's 9310 bolts are awesome. I do have one 8620 spare from PSA that I would only use as a last resort. It is nice to have 10 spare bolts though...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see where you're coming from, and I agree in principal, but.....  Have enough grade 8 gas key screws failed to worry about it?  There are always unexpected failures, but these are not wearing parts, stressed yes, but not direct wear.  I have factory Noveske and BCM guns, both of which would more than likely replace the carrier for that kind of breakage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am one of those that has a gas key screw fail.  Mine shared flush with the carrier, and without proper tools, it's not a quick or easy fix.  It may not be common, but when it happens, you have a single shot rifle on your hands

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
There in lies the dilemma!  A spare BCG is a pain to carry around but nice to have if the gas key goes.  A bolt and spare pins are nice because they can fit in the handles/stocks but are useless if the gas key goes.  I would say at the minimum, carry a complete bolt that you trust.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I know that this is a little off subject..... But I'm through buying extra hard parts for AR's.

I purchased three stripped lowers in the past three months. Two of them have turned into complete rifles.

One of them has turned into a complete lower.  

I'm afraid that if I buy a BCG that I'll add it to my finished lower and buy more parts to complete another rifle.

And I simply can't afford to continue on like this!  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top