BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2014 12:16:07 AM EDT
Bought my first AR and trying to determine which items are necessary to have.

I read somewhere (maybe on this very forum) that some folks like to carry a spare bolt carrier assembly.  Just curious as to how important you guys think this is.  I realize its only an additional $250...but if its not completely necessary I'd rather spend that cash on ammo or something else.

Please advise.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
A spare BCG is nice, but you could get by with just a spare bolt if you are concerned..  BCGs are not all $250, especially now.  Which one do you have?

You could just get the extractor parts, and gas rings, if you are really worried about back up.

Buy some ammo and mags.  Shoot tons.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You can buy BCG's for under $100... (Bolt carrier group)

I have a few extra bolts with cams and firing pins, but no extra carriers. A carrier will likely not break unless your gas key fails, but I'll risk it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It is a good part to have as a spare. What bcg are you looking at for $250 ?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a couple spare BCGs, they turned into rifles.

I now only keep spare bolts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#5]
You dont need a carrier, the bolt is the part that breaks.
i fit a spare bolt in the grip.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it is very important to keep a spare bolt for you primary fighting rifle. Usuallybi would check headspace before dropping new bolt in if u shoot until the first one breaks.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It's always good to have spare parts and now is a good time to buy. You can get a Stag M16 carrier with HP/MPI bolt for $125. The bolt alone is $50. There's cheaper stuff out there but Stag parts have never let me down.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#8]
"A"?  Like I've only got one rifle that might go down and need a spare?  Get your poor ass outta here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.

About 15 years ago I purchased a 'Stowaway Grip' from Bushmaster for $69.00.

It came with a spare bolt, springs, cam, cam pin, and firing pin. I have since added a couple of allen keys for my rail and accessories.

Although I've never had to use anything in the kit (except the allen keys) it's nice to know I have those spare parts if I need them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Got three spare BCG's one DD, one FN, one BCM. Three spare bolts so far,  one BCM, two Continental Machine from weapon outfitters. This CMT makes bolts for Colt and Noveske.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#11]
A spare bolt is probably more useful than a spare complete bolt carrier group (complete carrier with a complete bolt).  The carrier itself is about the most rugged part of an AR, though it does have the gas key attached, which is probably the only carrier assembly part that can be damaged short of trying to damage the part.  I'd go with a spare bolt, a spare gas key and two correct screws for the key.  If you have more than one AR, keep at least two keys (with screws) handy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#12]
It is very rare to hear of problems with a bolt carrier.
Screws and/or gas keys more often, but still not that many considering the number out there.
A spare bolt carrier is the fast way to get back shooting if a screw breaks.
A spare bolt (with the headspace checked) is never a bad idea and having spare BCG parts in addition is also a good idea.
Good BCG’s are available for far less than $250.
Overall I would not say a spare BCG is a necessity.
You are much more likely to need some of the consumable parts long before the bolt or carrier.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
When did this start?  I am not doubting, just never heard this.

And I have 2 spare BCGs  from AIM, they were hard to pass up at sub 90.00 shipped

Quoted:
Got three spare BCG's one DD, one FN, one BCM. Three spare bolts so far,  one BCM, two Continental Machine from weapon outfitters. This CMT makes bolts for Colt and Noveske.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I have spare bolts and carriers.  I've also got spare rifles.  For $80 you can get a BCG from AIM surplus.        

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
next on my list
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Stag is CMT's retail arm. They've been around a long time.
This thread is interesting: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=452298

See description here: http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/upper-receivers-and-parts/bolts/cmt-ar-15-bolt-hp-mpi.html

If that bolt isn't BCM's without the logo they put on when shipping with a bolt carrier, I'd be surprised. It surely looks just like the bolt they sell by itself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#17]

I have one spare BCG, another spare bolt, and a couple of extra firing pins.  I also keep an extra o-ring or two, plus a few firing pin retainer pins (cotter key) as most of this stuff is very inexpensive...and when you are gonna need them, you're gonna NEED them.

Like another poster mentioned above....I'm afraid my spare BCG is going to eventually morph into a complete rifle someday.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't have any spare parts around. They always end up being an extra rifle I built for a 'good deal'.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#19]
As of last week, I had a spare BCG from BCM sitting in my spare parts container.  Last week, I got bored and slapped together another stick using what I had in spare parts.  I like having at the very least 1 complete BCG in waiting to be used.  So later this week, I plan on ordering maybe 2-3 more as I want to build another complete upper next week when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.  Odd how that happens!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have one spare BCG, another spare bolt, and a couple of extra firing pins.  I also keep an extra o-ring or two, plus a few firing pin retainer pins (cotter key) as most of this stuff is very inexpensive...and when you are gonna need them, you're gonna NEED them.

Like another poster mentioned above....I'm afraid my spare BCG is going to eventually morph into a complete rifle someday.
View Quote

Yep... leave those damned things laying around and they grow from a sweet little carrier into fire-breathing beasts.  Beats the hell outta me how that happens.

On the serious note though if a bolt breaks when it matters most you will be under severe duress.  This is when you will drop little parts, so that's why I keep a bolt, couple of retainer pins, a firing pin, and a cam pin in storage in the rifle.  The little stuff won't break, but it will sure run off scared when you need it most.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the absolute truth and best advice!  

PS - unless you are buying somthing sace aged you shouldn't be paying $250 for a BCG.  Good stuff can be had for $80-100.  A spare bolt is $40.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#23]
My spare BCG's turn into spare rifles.  At $90 for a BCG, it's hard to justify just buying a bolt for $70.  I'll probably pick up another spare at some point.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This thread is interesting: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=452298

See description here: http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/upper-receivers-and-parts/bolts/cmt-ar-15-bolt-hp-mpi.html

If that bolt isn't BCM's without the logo they put on when shipping with a bolt carrier, I'd be surprised. It surely looks just like the bolt they sell by itself.
View Quote

I use CMT/Stag HP/MPI bolts and they are identical to my BCM bolts, minus the BCM logo. I'd be more than surprised if CMT didn't supply BCM with their bolts.

You can get them from Stag for $50, cheaper then BCM and weaponoutfitters.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Rainier has had bolts for $40 for almost a year now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I use CMT/Stag HP/MPI bolts and they are identical to my BCM bolts, minus the BCM logo. I'd be more than surprised if CMT didn't supply BCM with their bolts.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so it is, thanks for that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS ONE  Its identical to the one that is in my rifle right now.  I dont know much about AR's...so I thought maybe I should stick with drop-in factory replacement parts from WC.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"A"?  Like I've only got one rifle that might go down and need a spare?  Get your poor ass outta here.
View Quote

Yeah, sorry to say I only have ONE rifle.  The $2700 Wilson Combat (along with the $1900 Trijicon ACOG) was all I could afford until I get my next welfare check!!  

But thank you for that helpful and informative contribution to this thread...you're a real peach.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yeah, sorry to say I only have ONE rifle.  The $2700 Wilson Combat (along with the $1900 Trijicon ACOG) was all I could afford until I get my next welfare check!!  

But thank you for that helpful and informative contribution to this thread...you're a real peach.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's it? You're  gonna need some spare ARs before you start worrying about spare BCGs.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
THIS ONE  Its identical to the one that is in my rifle right now.  I dont know much about AR's...so I thought maybe I should stick with drop-in factory replacement parts from WC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That one does have a nice NP3 coating, but it's not worth an extra $150 IMO.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilson makes good stuff.
If you are OK with the price there is nothing wrong with what you picked.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I read somewhere (maybe on this very forum) that some folks like to carry a spare bolt carrier assembly.  Just curious as to how important you guys think this is.  I realize its only an additional $250...but if its not completely necessary I'd rather spend that cash on ammo or something else.

Please advise.

Thanks
View Quote

Typically the point of failures are the bolt assembly (extractor or firing pin or gas rings) and most likely the cam pin. Chances are if you get a breakage it'll likely be the gas rings or the cam pin. Either way the failure rate should be never. Perhaps once in your life.

The only reason to carry a spare bcg is to rock and roll without going home. Just more of you go to the range, it breaks, and now you have to go home. Otherwise if you have patience just order it online. However with the current political landscape, no telling if you'll be able to get it on the day if it breaking.

Personally the only spare part you should concentrate on is spare magazines. Typically when a "scare" happen the most common thing to go up and become rare is magazines. Followed by actual rifles and full auto bcg.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#33]
my "range" is a 120 second drive down the road, so going home is not an issue, but spare parts, yeah that's few and far between out here...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's it? You're  gonna need some spare ARs before you start worrying about spare BCGs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took your advice, PFran...just ordered THIS.  Frightening how fast I can spend money.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spare parts do have a way of growing into full rifles don't they.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Please advise.

Thanks
View Quote

I bought four AIM surplus cheap BCGs for like 60 each. I use them in builds while deciding which, if any, upgraded BCGs i want to use.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#37]
save your money and buy a few spare bolts
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Took your advice, PFran...just ordered THIS.  Frightening how fast I can spend money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're doing it wrong! Now you need another .308 AND some more ARs.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a couple of the $80 BCGs from Aim Surplus as spares, at those prices I'll just buy the whole BCG.  I also have what amounts to several spare LPKs.  I think it's a good idea to keep an extra supply of the various springs, detents and pins on hand in case something breaks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 5 spare BCGs.  What the hell does this mean?  I think I am screwed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#41]
The most common items to break in a bcg are the extractor, gas rings, cam pin, firing pin, or the gas keys but if they are staked you should never experience it.

My advice is to get a spare bolt and cam pin. The bolt should have a spare firiing pin as well.

However with good parts they should never break, until you hit the 12k round count or so. Even military troops don't run around with spare bolts and they do fine.

Just make sure you check headspace when you swap bolts or barrels, though. Little chance of having issues but better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I purchased nine spare bolts & firing pins from AIM for all of my current ARs (nine). I place them in each of my MIAD grips using their accessory bolt/firing pin core.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=932&name=AIM+.223%2f5.56+bolts
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I have a spare bolt and FP in my "go to" rifle's grip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a dick measuring contest?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I really like spare rifles:

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Im With this answer. Its only important if you have 1 or 2. Once you have BRD, then a spare BCG is another build. Nothing wrong with just having extra rifles instead. Which is my backup plan.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:01:16 AM EDT
[#48]
$75 at DSA.
I traded some Saiga mags for 2 spare BCGs a while ago, they turned into complete spare rifles....... while I was ordering lowers, I was like "well lets get a spare lower................ now I just ordered an LPK for the spare lower.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Right on, bolts lugs sometimes break, same for extractors, but carriers are pretty much bullet proof, assuming the gas key is properly affixed. - CW
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#50]
The carrier rarely fails.  Get a spare bolt, throw it in your range bag and call it a day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top