Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2014 2:28:41 PM EDT
Hey guys, I first posted on this forum a couple weeks ago asking advice on what I should buy for my first gun, I decided on buying on Diamondback DB15 Rifle... I got it today and went a shot 40 brass rounds and 40 steel rounds, and it shot perfectly with no jams or anything. I also ordered front and rear 'Ruger rapid deploy sights'... I guess what Im getting at is do yall have any tips for beginners like me? lol and also Im looking to buy attachments (sights,grips,lasers,flashlights) so where should I order from? and what brands should I look for? thanks guys (and here are a couple pics of it)

http://i61.tinypic.com/21141us.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/25s8wo7.jpg

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
1) shoot it lots, buy ammo and get good with irons first
2) when you buy anything don't go cheap, especially with optics
3) Avoid, NCSTAR, TAPCO etc
4) You can buy accessories from any of the retailers listed at the top of the site here. I'd recommend Primary arms from my experience with them. PSA is good also (people complain about their ship times). Brownells and Midway are the Amazon's of the online gun world and are generally pretty decent too.

Finally work out what you want to do with your rifle before you spend $1000 on stuff you don't need. That way you won't end up with a tacticool nightmare that is heavy as shit and isn't good for any situation.

As far as optics go i'm a big fan of Eotechs but I know a lot of people prefer ACOGs or Aimpoints...both of the latter are truly excellent options.

Most of all read up here and on other forums and learn and remember it's all about having fun
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1) shoot it lots, buy ammo and get good with irons first
2) when you buy anything don't go cheap, especially with optics
3) Avoid, NCSTAR, TAPCO etc
4) You can buy accessories from any of the retailers listed at the top of the site here. I'd recommend Primary arms from my experience with them. PSA is good also (people complain about their ship times). Brownells and Midway are the Amazon's of the online gun world and are generally pretty decent too.

Finally work out what you want to do with your rifle before you spend $1000 on stuff you don't need. That way you won't end up with a tacticool nightmare that is heavy as shit and isn't good for any situation.

As far as optics go i'm a big fan of Eotechs but I know a lot of people prefer ACOGs or Aimpoints...both of the latter are truly excellent options.

Most of all read up here and on other forums and learn and remember it's all about having fun
View Quote

Thanks man!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on your new purchase. Quality optics and a sling will probably be your first main concern.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything magpul is top notch as long as it's genuine magpul and not their airsoft line.  Also as you'll see a lot of folks on here tell you "buy once cry once" especially with optics. EOtech, aimpoint, and of course Trijicon are top notch optics that you can depend on. Cheap optics will fail it just depends on when. But like a previous poster mentioned get good with iorns first they don't have batteries to die, electronics to break, or glass to shatter.  Also establish a solid idea of what you intend to do with the rifle and the ranges / accuracy you want to shoot with it before you spend hundreds of dollars on things that don't help. For example a high end 4-12x scope in a larue mount would be excellent varmint hunting or long range shooting but useless in the house at dark or at a carbine course with ranges of 25 yards and in.

Beyond all else shoot the crap out of it and keep us updated
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on the new toy! Things to buy...
1) Ammo
2) Magazines
3) Ammo
Shoot the hell out of it! Definitely practice with the iron sights for a bit before getting an optic
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, Im pretty good with iron sights (I dove hunt with shotguns and deer/hog hunt with rifles) so Im not a complete noob with guns haha but Im just new the whole AR world and the aftermarket gun world but Im about to take it out again today and put around 100 rounds through it... tonight I will be looking for a scope!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#7]
As others have said, get competent with the irons before adding an optic. AR irons are a whole new beast compared to standard iron sights

If you're looking for good optics at a budget, I'd look into Primary Arms and Vortex. I have an Eotech and a Vortex SPARC, although the Eotech is by far better, that SPARC is a helluva optic for 150
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top