Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2014 9:17:30 PM EDT
I have the rifle built up and have the surplus corrosive ammo.  So how is the best way to clean up after shooting with an AR?

Thanks,
Ghilly
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Rinse the operating parts with regular water, then dry and add lube/oil.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rinse the operating parts with regular water, then dry and add lube/oil.
View Quote
this except I use warm-hot water

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I clean my Mosin Nagants with Windex (highly recommended by many people) with wet patches pushed through from the chamber, then apply WD40, but on an AR you are getting all that gas blowing back INSIDE the bolt and carrier I'd say you probably need to seperate the bolt and carrier and scrub it with windex also. I wunder if anything else inside the receiver will get rusty.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I clean my Mosin Nagants with Windex (highly recommended by many people) with wet patches pushed through from the chamber, then apply WD40, but on an AR you are getting all that gas blowing back INSIDE the bolt and carrier I'd say you probably need to seperate the bolt and carrier and scrub it with windex also. I wunder if anything else inside the receiver will get rusty.
View Quote

Windex dose nothing,  it's the water in it that flushes and dissolves the salts.  Hot water is all you really need.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Rinse with warm/hot (easy to do in AZ) water at the range or as soon as possible after firing followed by the following at home.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used black powder (it is also corrosive if left uncleaned) solvents and they work.  Use them like you would Hoppes#9 and the lube up the rifle after cleaning.

I've used hot water.  Dried off what was left of the water with a hair dryer, or by setting the parts in the hot sunlight on the deck rail (yeah, clean my guns out on the deck sometimes) and then lubing them up after they dry.

Hot water works really well.  The hotter it is the quicker it dries out.

When using hot water, make sure you get it all flushed out good.  As stated, the water dissolves and flushes away the salt/compounds left on the metal that absorb moisture from the air and rust/corrode your gun - so make sure you get them out.  Not that big a deal if you can use a dish rinser/sprayer in the kitchen sink, or dunk the parts under water in the tub or a big sink.

If I use the water method, I use a spray oil to insure I get oil back in all the cracks/crevices of the lower and the upper/front sight base, flash suppressor, etc.  No use removing all the powder residue and lube only to have it start rusting somewhere you didn't get lube/rust preventive back on before you re-assembled the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I just run hot water through it for 5 min on the kitchen sink and call it good. 6k later, barrel still good to go. However, there have been a few times I haven't cleaned right after range and my NiB Bcg is pitted like an old worn out rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Water or windex (mostly water).

Then oil as normal.

On the AK's I just sprayed em down with the hose, a little compressed air, then sprayed clp
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#9]
when shooting corrosive ammo I soak my whole rifle in bath tub for several hours  real hot and soapy.

Then clean it   properly !

So far 0 problems with my method
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Hot water so it dries faster, air compressor to blow out gas tube/inside barrel/inside upper/bolt, let air dry after I towel off as much as I can, and then reoil.

Shoot again and repeat.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top