Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2014 4:19:40 PM EDT
Okay so the difference between a 7 lb. AR and 10 lb. AR15 are huge, but how huge is the accuracy difference?

Lets say a Light stainless barrel shoots 2" and a Heavy stainless barrel shots 1" at 100 yards with 10 shot groups. Is the 1" going to make a huge difference from 0-500 yards like the 3 lbs you save when hiking all day?

What do you guys think?

ETA: Targets are Deer/Man size.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer lighter rifles. In your scenario I would defiantly pick the light AR that shot 2" groups. I don't think that 1" makes a whole lot of difference at the CQB-300 yard range.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I prefer lighter rifles. In your scenario I would defiantly pick the light AR that shot 2" groups. I don't think that 1" makes a whole lot of difference at the CQB-300 yard range.
View Quote
Agreed, but what about the 1" difference out to 500?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How often will we be shooting at 500 plus yards....probably not often.

How often will the heavy rifle weight 10 pounds....all the time.

There are always tradeoffs when choosing a rifle or components. If we are looking to make numerous long range shots, I would opt for a heavier precision rifle, but for all around work I will stick with a well built light rifle, I just think it performs at a satisfactory level in more situations.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
For deer and man size, the lightweight.

For a benchrest shooting for dimes, the heavy.

Since You don't need dime size groups and You are going to be carrying it around the heavy makes no sense,
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Different Tools in Different Configurations for Different Jobs.

The Beauty of the AR Platform is that it can be easily & quickly configured for whatever role you need.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Get both.

Seriously.

Do it now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends on if you're in the peoples republic of Maryland..

It's all heavy barrels all the time up in this shitty state.

FYI: they have effectively banned the purchase of all ARs except those with heavy target barrels, because those obviously can't be used in a crime because they're too heavy..

I'd go with the lighter gun, wind drift is more of an issue at 500 yards than anything and a heavy barrel isn't going to change that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
For real world shooting, getting a stable position and breaking good shots matters way lore than the accuracy of the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Light weight all day long for me.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/652658_Why_the_infatuation_with_the_HBar_.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I am surprised with poll. I thought forsure most people would pick accuracy over weight, cause lately thats what I see being talked about.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Since You don't need dime size groups and You are going to be carrying it around the heavy makes no sense,
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a stainless steel 14.5" Noveske light weight contour and you'll have your 1MOA or better barrel. An accurate 8lb. rifle isnt hard to accomplish.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#13]
For accuracy I would go lightweight since the difference isn't really worth the extra weight. As a side note keep in mind that a heavier rifle will reduce recoil so you can shoot a little faster while still staying on target.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am surprised with poll. I thought forsure most people would pick accuracy over weight, cause lately thats what I see being talked about.
View Quote

the problem is your poll.   it sucks, because it assumes a direct relationship between accuracy and weight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Get a stainless steel 14.5" Noveske light weight contour and you'll have your 1MOA or better barrel. An accurate 8lb. rifle isnt hard to accomplish.
View Quote
Agreed, but for some reason I am still seeing people preferring Heavy ARs for field guns.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
the problem is your poll.   it sucks, because it assumes a direct relationship between accuracy and weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you word it then?

We can do another in GD. They should go nuts there.

ETA: A few threads I read lately have people saying that a Heavy barrel is more accurate than a Light barrel with same ammo/shooter. Is that not true?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#17]
If your willing to spend the money you could have a 7lb rifle that held 1MOA.        

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA: A few threads I read lately have people saying that a Heavy barrel is more accurate than a Light barrel with same ammo/shooter. Is that not true?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the weight of the barrel does not make it more inherently accurate or consistent.

In general, if ALL other controls are kept in line, and the barrel blank was made by a consistent manufacturer, with the profile being the ONLY difference, it is possible that the heavier profile barrel will be more accurate.  This is simply because a thicker barrel has less barrel whip, and a thicker barrel heats up slower, and hence has less POI shift from a lighter weight barrel.  These difference are QUITE small in reality, and would not be significantly measureable when shooting M193/M855 or other surplus/cheap ammunition.

The quality of the bore, the rifling, the barrel blank material, the chamber and throat, and the crown will have a much more significant effect on accuracy.  Therefore, it is entirely possible that you can purchase a match grade lightweight barrel, such as this one from JP http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM223-16L8  and it will absolutely outshoot a Model 1 sales heavy profile barrel in the same length.

That above ASSUMES you are using match grade ammo or you reload and find the best ammunition combination for that specific barrel.

There is no direct linear relationship to barrel thickness and accuracy.  There are just too many factors.

That's why the majority of people already know that they can easily find a light barrel that will shoot around 1MOA with match ammo, and 3MOA with surplus, and that is just fine and dandy for their needs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Very well said. I hope everyone who think Heavier barrels are always more accurate than Light ones reads your post.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Pencil barrels can still do 1 MOA.

Take a look at LaRue's PredatAR's
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a LW barrel on my 222rem bolt action and it was a true sub MOA shooter.

Now I do like heavier barrels on rifles  when shooting off rest , sand bags and such.

I had a HBAR 14.7 that had mild recoil when compared to my Home Built 14.5 LMT/bushy ower

So heavier barrel could be a good thing when using SBR like the M4
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Now I do like heavier barrels on rifles  when shooting off rest , sand bags and such.

I had a HBAR 14.7 that had mild recoil when compared to my Home Built 14.5 LMT/bushy ower

View Quote
With all these hybrid comps now weight and recoil reduction will be a thing of the past imo.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Since when do light weight barrels shave off a whole 3 pounds?  That's my question.

I like heavier barrels because they don't heat up as fast.
Then again, it all depends on the type of shooting you're doing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I prefer my AR's to be light & simple.

I do have a mid length AR that weights more than my carbine length AR's.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Since when do light weight barrels shave off a whole 3 pounds?  That's my question.

I like heavier barrels because they don't heat up as fast.

Then again, it all depends on the type of shooting you're doing.
View Quote
It doesn't.

I am talking as a whole.

Lets say the POI change is 1" between barrels. Would you still take the 3 lb. heavier AR15?

ETA: Dont get me wrong I have nothing against Heavy ARs, but just wondering is all.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, the weight of the barrel does not make it more inherently accurate or consistent.

In general, if ALL other controls are kept in line, and the barrel blank was made by a consistent manufacturer, with the profile being the ONLY difference, it is possible that the heavier profile barrel will be more accurate.  This is simply because a thicker barrel has less barrel whip, and a thicker barrel heats up slower, and hence has less POI shift from a lighter weight barrel.  These difference are QUITE small in reality, and would not be significantly measureable when shooting M193/M855 or other surplus/cheap ammunition.

The quality of the bore, the rifling, the barrel blank material, the chamber and throat, and the crown will have a much more significant effect on accuracy.  Therefore, it is entirely possible that you can purchase a match grade lightweight barrel, such as this one from JP http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM223-16L8  and it will absolutely outshoot a Model 1 sales heavy profile barrel in the same length.

That above ASSUMES you are using match grade ammo or you reload and find the best ammunition combination for that specific barrel.

There is no direct linear relationship to barrel thickness and accuracy.  There are just too many factors.

That's why the majority of people already know that they can easily find a light barrel that will shoot around 1MOA with match ammo, and 3MOA with surplus, and that is just fine and dandy for their needs.
View Quote

Excellent & Informative post!
Quoted For Truth!

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Any other comments?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
With all these hybrid comps now weight and recoil reduction will be a thing of the past imo.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the Flash hiders only.

I like both lite and med to heavy profile barrels depending on mission.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There are always tradeoffs when choosing a rifle or components. If we are looking to make numerous long range shots, I would opt for a heavier precision rifle, but for all around work I will stick with a well built light rifle, I just think it performs at a satisfactory level in more situations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  2 MOA is still more than good enough to hit mansized targets at well over 500 yards.  Also, the weight of the barrel doesn't even mechanically affect accuracy as much as you might think.  The quality of how the barrel is made matters much more.  The only inherent accuracy benefits you'll gain from pure weight alone are a more stable platform when benched as the weight will prevent the rifle from moving around quite as much (which can mostly be negated by proper shooting form anyway), and increased accuracy for rapid or sustained fire as the heavier barrel will be slower to heat up.

A one pound difference is huge when you're lugging something around all day, nevermind three lbs.  How is your AR15 that heavy?  A full size 20" Colt HBAR weighs ~ 8.75 lbs, and that is a full pound heavier than a standard GI barrel M16A2.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Depends on the rifle. I would say I'd rather have a rifle weight 3 lbs less and shoot 1 less moa....but on my WOA or AR10 builds(both weigh like 15lbs) I'd bolt them down to a table to get any additional accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Eugene designed the AR to be L I G H T. He knew more than all the AR parts merchants that have come since.

Build an AR for light weight.

Get an M1A if long range accuracy is your goal
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Guess it depends on what you're doing with it. It's very difficult to get a 7 lbs gun to do what a 10 lbs gun can do. Would love to see a rifle at or near 7 lb with an IR laser (for NV), white/IR light, magnified optic, suppressor and a full mag. I hunt with my AR configured this way and if the S really HTF I wouldn't want anything less.

trying to trim weight is great, I ditched all my heavy barrels, but the weight is gonna add up if you plan to be properly equipped. There's a reason our SOF guys are built and conditioned the way they are.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Guess it depends on what you're doing with it. It's very difficult to get a 7 lbs gun to do what a 10 lbs gun can do. Would love to see a rifle at or near 7 lb with an IR laser (for NV), white/IR light, magnified optic, suppressor and a full mag. I hunt with my AR configured this way and if the S really HTF I wouldn't want anything less.

trying to trim weight is great, I ditched all my heavy barrels, but the weight is gonna add up if you plan to be properly equipped. There's a reason our SOF guys are built and conditioned the way they are.

View Quote
I agree with everything you said, but I could take everything from a Block II M4 and put it on my 6 lb AR with a 13" handguard, and it would be a pound lighter at least.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I have both. Totally depends on what you want the gun for.

I would never carry my range rifle on any kind of hike. but then again I don't expect sub 1/2" groups from my shtf gun either.

Now for those that claim a pencil barrel or lightweight barrel will hang with the bull barrel match guns. Just go to any benchrest competiton 100 yrd out to a thousand and see how many pencil barrels you see.

reality is 1"  groups at a hundred yds is plenty good for the average shooter but that is a long way from what you would call an accurate rifle.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said and I feel the same way. I shoot my 14.5" barreled lightweight KISS rifles a lot more than my Recce... If I were to deer hunt again it would be with the lightweights...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I would never carry my range rifle on any kind of hike. but then again I don't expect sub 1/2" groups from my shtf gun either.

Now for those that claim a pencil barrel or lightweight barrel will hang with the bull barrel match guns. Just go to any benchrest competiton 100 yrd out to a thousand and see how many pencil barrels you see.

reality is 1"  groups at a hundred yds is plenty good for the average shooter but that is a long way from what you would call an accurate rifle.

View Quote
Serioulsy 1" groups is not considered accurate?

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't even like shooting coyotes past 250 yards with a .223/5.56 because the effectiveness  is so pathetic compared to other better suited calibers. If I'm going to be shooting at anything other than paper or steel at 500, given the choice it will be with something better suited for the task. I'd go lighter and enjoy humping less weight and use for closer range vs. the minute increase in accuracy only to have energy a little over 300 ftlbs and smallest breath of wind blowing bullet into next zip code at 500+. I doubt you will notice much advantage with 1" better rifle unless conditions were perfect and you were a highly capable marksman. JMO
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#38]
What makes you think you'd see that big of difference in accuracy?

LW ftw.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Eugene designed the AR to be L I G H T. He knew more than all the AR parts merchants that have come since.

Build an AR for light weight.

Get an M1A if long range accuracy is your goal
View Quote

Build a bolt gun if you want accuracy. Out of the box m1a's aren't that accurate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#40]

I have a Hbar middy that weights more than a gov pro 20 inch.

I don't notice any difference at 200.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Isn't the answer always both?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I don't even like shooting coyotes past 250 yards with a .223/5.56 because the effectiveness  is so pathetic compared to other better suited calibers. If I'm going to be shooting at anything other than paper or steel at 500, given the choice it will be with something better suited for the task. I'd go lighter and enjoy humping less weight and use for closer range vs. the minute increase in accuracy only to have energy a little over 300 ftlbs and smallest breath of wind blowing bullet into next zip code at 500+. I doubt you will notice much advantage with 1" better rifle unless conditions were perfect and you were a highly capable marksman. JMO
View Quote
+1 I agree, but a 1-3 pound difference is very noticeable imo.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. I want and can do much better than 1 MOA and have the gear to do it.

But I would say 1 MOA is still a standard.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top