Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 4:52:47 PM EDT
I just got my upper from PSA and was just wondering what's the "O" markings and the dots inside the chamber means? I did some research and couldn't find anything about it. Any info will help.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2134zk1.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/jg6wqp.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/ev0vh3.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/9a7h3s.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well...the "o" mark appears to be the forging stamp.  Don't know about the dots on the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you know who manufactured it?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well...the "o" mark appears to be the forging stamp.  Don't know about the dots on the barrel extension.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This might help
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/223495_Lower_Receiver_and_Mag_Floorplate_Rollmarks__Logos_and_Markings.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't really matter who machined & finished the receiver as long it's a quality piece. PSA contracted a machine shop to machine & finish the upper into the end product. They prolly will not reveal who that machine shop is. Almost ALL brands won't divulge that info. The forge company brand is pretty much irrevelent.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Like others have said that circle is the forge marking. The only purpose is to tell you where your upper receiver was forged. I believe the circle means Armalite.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Obama upper, this has been asked at least a couple times in the PSA industry forum.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Obama upper, this has been asked at least a couple times in the PSA industry forum.
View Quote

Lmao @ Obama upper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The "dots" are shot left over from bead blasting that they're too lazy to get out. I've had 3 complete psa uppers come like that. Get it out of there before running it, I use compressor and a blow gun, a q tip would suffice too among other things then run an lubed up chamber brush through it and punch the bore to finish off.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#9]
So it will cause malfunctions if i don't remove it?

Quoted:
The "dots" are shot left over from bead blasting that they're too lazy to get out. I've had 3 complete psa uppers come like that. Get it out of there before running it, I use compressor and a blow gun, a q tip would suffice too among other things then run an lubed up chamber brush through it and punch the bore to finish off.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think he's referring to the 4 machined dimples in the barrel extension, not the blast media you can sort of see everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if you're referring to the machined dimples.  I have no idea what those are, but they are not from bead blasting and they won't cause malfunctions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting...have never seen an "o" roll mark and its not in the book.
If anyone knows who the forger is please do share.

OP, does the upper have dry lube inside?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Obama upper
View Quote

This.  It's means factory complete upper - "you did not build it."
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I received a PSA 14.7" CHF upper with the same forge marking yesterday.  I've not been able to find any information on it's origin as of yet.  I'll be sure to share anything I find out here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I got one last week, but mine is a keyhole forging, no dots on extension, and markings under hand guard.
What does your muzzle crown look like? Sku#9069
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Just for your information I too ordered that upper, installed on PSA lower and pinned a DD flash hider and Aim ni boron BCG.  Shoots M O Sodacan groups at 100 yards on fairly rapid fire.  I had the upper smoking like it was on fire and never a complaint as it gobbled up the ammo.  I took three other PSA builds  a BCM and Colt that day while each performed in the manner expected.  I have found PSA "premium" to be spot on!   No idea on the circle casting mark but the machining is A+.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think he's referring to the 4 machined dimples in the barrel extension, not the blast media you can sort of see everywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I see now, at first glance it looked like shot laid out to make visible( was on small phone screen), I see they are dimples now and those just leave go. Never seen one with them but it can't cause issues anyway I could forsee.

I'd still look for blast media on the inside of the extension and get it out if you find any.

Sorry for the confusion, my fault.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Obama upper

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I got my 14.7" PSA premium a few months ago. I'm waiting to hear from them about it (I'm pretty sure it's under gassed)

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Good looking upper OP. I have a 14.7" PSA, CHF barrel assembly I built with a BCM upper receiver and Adcor "Bear" lower & PSA premium LPK... It's a government profile though with the barrel stamping under the hand guards as opposed to forward the FSB. It's probably the most accurate barrel I own. Is that an "Optimum Profile" barrel profile? Mine was a barrel assemble as mentioned; not a complete upper and it doesn't have the machined dimples.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a 14.7 CFH M4A1 upper from PSA. It is on an old Bushmaster lower. It's my "go-to" rifle. Excellent upper!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#22]
My 14.7 is marked with an O forge mark also. No dimples on the feed ramp though
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Sir you have a very nice Obama upper there.  I would guess the 4 dots are some kind of QC mark or proof of test firing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#24]
My psa premium 14.7 chf upper has a square stamped where your o is stamped . Gonna figure .
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]
my PSA CHF upper is square too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, are you looking at the same photos as the rest of us?  You give BAD advice.

OP, ignore this guy

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dude, are you looking at the same photos as the rest of us?  You give BAD advice.

OP, ignore this guy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, ignore this guy

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I see now, at first glance it looked like shot laid out to make visible( was on small phone screen), I see they are dimples now and those just leave go. Never seen one with them but it can't cause issues anyway I could forsee.

I'd still look for blast media on the inside of the extension and get it out if you find any.

Sorry for the confusion, my fault

He already cleared up the fact that he made a mistake. Did you miss that part?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OP, ignore this guy

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, ignore this guy

Because I thought I saw something I have seen before and have issue with, that I told him how to take of it? Or that I realized I wasn't seeing what I thought I was and addressed it when I realized I was wrong, or was it because I called psa lazy?

I personally don't think little metal balls disintegrating been the bolt and extension and then blowing those little abrasive particles down the bore is very good for longevity, so I mentioned it.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#29]
So any word on the marking?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#30]
From the past and what I have seen from PSA uppers they use:

AO Precision ("square" forger mark)

Anchor ("splintered A" forgers mark)

Cerro ("keyhole" forgers mark)

Have never seen an "o" forgers mark and can find nothing on it.  Guessing its someone new on the scene and dying to find out who and the quality of it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#31]
My brothers upper is a psa and is a square forge mark I compared his and mine last night and there was nothing noticebly different in quality the only difference was in the finish color this O marked one is shinier somewhere between the dull PSA and a spikes semi shiny finish
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Like others have said that circle is the forge marking. The only purpose is to tell you where your upper receiver was forged. I believe the circle means Armalite.
View Quote
Armalite is a circle with a crosshair in it with "AR" next to it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, but this isn't Armalite...its probably a new player on the block.  Now the question is "Who" is it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

My brothers upper is a psa and is a square forge mark I compared his and mine last night and there was nothing noticebly different in quality the only difference was in the finish color this O marked one is shinier somewhere between the dull PSA and a spikes semi shiny finish
View Quote

AO Precision (uppers on FN's w/ square forging marks) are know for being a little flatter in sheen then other manufacturers.  I rub a little Miltec on them and it matches the shinier lowers perfectly.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top