Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2014 12:23:04 PM EDT
I built (assembled) another 5.45x39mm precision rifle recently. I am currently using an ACOG scope. I took itto the range yesterday for its maiden voyage and was quite happy to see it is capable of good accuracy. Withe a cold barrel it shoots 1.30" to 2.0" at 100 yards. This is wth a S&W chrome lined barrel that's now free floated. Bear in mind I have many thousands of rounds of Russia 7N6 ammo. That is all this rifle will ever see.

I was stretched to my limit shooting decent groups using a military grade "combat" trigger/hammer with orange heavy hammer spring.

What I'm asking here is this: if I purchase a Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger/hammer for this rifle will it have trouble igniting these hard Russia primers?

Anyone out there with first hand knowledge that can give me their experience as it relates to ignition & 7N6?

Thanks for any help. I'd rather not spend $240.00 just to find out it can't pop a Russia primer reliably.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I built (assembled) another 5.45x39mm precision rifle recently. I am currently using an ACOG scope. I took itto the range yesterday for its maiden voyage and was quite happy to see it is capable of good accuracy. Withe a cold barrel it shoots 1.30" to 2.0" at 100 yards. This is wth a S&W chrome lined barrel that's now free floated. Bear in mind I have many thousands of rounds of Russia 7N6 ammo. That is all this rifle will ever see.

I was stretched to my limit shooting decent groups using a military grade "combat" trigger/hammer with orange heavy hammer spring.

What I'm asking here is this: if I purchase a Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger/hammer for this rifle will it have trouble igniting these hard Russia primers?

Anyone out there with first hand knowledge that can give me their experience as it relates to ignition & 7N6?

Thanks for any help. I'd rather not spend $240.00 just to find out it can't pop a Russia primer reliably.
View Quote
All my GA triggers have run all my 5.45 uppers. You'll be good to go.

SSA, SD-C, SD-E, and the SD3G have all performed me very well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never tried shooting 5.45. However I will say my Geissele SSA-E's hammer has a noticeably heavier hammer spring than my mil spec triggers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have worked flawlessly for me
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot a lot of 7n6 through guns with the G triggers.  No issues.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I use an SSA-E in my 10.5" 5.45 SBR and haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's build the nicest AR that money can buy and then feed it the cheapest ammo.  
What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the excellent answers. It's appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let's build the nicest AR that money can buy and then feed it the cheapest ammo.  

What could go wrong?
View Quote
Nothing in my personal experiences.

My 5.45 guns are pretty flawless from a mechanical aspect.

Had a bad mag or two, but the gun goes bang, ejects, and is pretty accurate for the most part.

The only downside is that the 7n6 is a little hard on my steel targets.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What could go wrong?
View Quote

Alright I apologize. Fire away with the 7n6.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What could go wrong?

The only thing I can add regarding accuracy is this rifle is an honest 2moa gun firing 7N6. I know this because I fired it a second time today and it will put 5 rounds in 2" @ 100 yds (ACOG) when I do everything right. I have fired almost 700 rounds in the two range sessions since it's completion on Friday. I just wanted something cheap to fire large amounts of ammo at our 300 and 500 yard steel targets at our gun club. I was tired of spending so much money on .223/5.56mm ammo and reloading components since all I wanted to do was bang steel. The 2moa comes only with much concentration and trigger control as it's in the 7 pound range with the ".mil" trigger combined with that heavy orange hammer spring.

After discussing this topic with the forum and getting reassurance that Geissele triggers will indeed pop hard Russia primers I've decided to purchase the SSA-E. I prefer two stage so this ought to work out. Thanks for all of your positive comments,I appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top