Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 9:21:43 AM EDT
I am in the process of installing a longer quad rail on my ar.  I know there are different types of mounting systems for the gas block but I need some advice on which brand to get and which mounting style to use.  Can anyone educate me on this?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
any low profile block should work as long as it is the correct inside diameter for your barrel. No particular style is needed although I like the specter by YHM because I live in NJ. This allows me to remove the gas block while having the mandatory pinned muzzle brake. To each his own, my 9mm ar has a random budget low profile that i found online for 24 bucks. good luck!

http://gunsandammosuperstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/YHM-9378.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#2]
What gas block is best depends on what the mounting options are on your barrel.

Gas blocks with set screws are great IF you have a barrel properly set up for them with a dimple on the bottom.

If it's not a dimpled barrel, I recommend the clamp style.  Then you need to take into account the type of handguard you're putting on, so how much room is available for the block.  Vltor and others make clamp on style low profile blocks.  Daniel Defense has the slimmest clamp on block, but the screws are harder to deal with (because they're smaller) and the DDs tend to be more expensive than some of the others.

If you have a pinned on front sight base and are 100% sure you never want to go back to the pinned on front sight, you can cut it down and make it into a low profile block.  To reiterate, pinned sight bases are NOT interchangeable, and once you destroy the one that came on the barrel you won't be able to replace it as a practical matter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Pinned or Rocksett setscrews with dimpled barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the YHM 9383 low profile gas block.  The screws supplied with it have small teeth that cut into the barrel and prevent them from backing out or the block from rotating.  Most the other companies just use standard set screws.        

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
i got a SS JP adjustable low pro clamp gas block on a build i just got done for 3 main reasons:
1) i got one stainless steel b/c it wont heat as fast as aluminum.
2) clamp style b/c i KNOW it wont loosen up on me compared to some set screw types ive had in the past.
3) adjustable b/c if i ever do get around to getting a suppressor, i can fine tune the gas system accordingly

worth every penny imo, if i do more builds i will probably fabricate my own block replicating the jp one i have now.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i got a SS JP adjustable low pro clamp gas block on a build i just got done for 3 main reasons:

2) clamp style b/c i KNOW it wont loosen up on me compared to some set screw types ive had in the past.

3) adjustable b/c if i ever do get around to getting a suppressor, i can fine tune the gas system accordingly

worth every penny imo, if i do more builds i will probably fabricate my own block replicating the jp one i have now.

View Quote
No decent quality gas block is made from aluminum.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

right, i agree, but they do exist. and for anyone trying to do a lightweight build or is trying to build on a budget, those cheaper, lighter gb's look better than a ss gb even tho they would be sacrificing quality.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used aluminum  railed and lo-pro gas blocks, that I bought at Surplus Arms, on several builds and I have not run into any problems.  I haven't done thousand round ammo dumps, or carbine courses with them, but I have not had any problems with regular shooting.  I think a lot of people hear things from their sister's boyfriend's cousin and perpetuate myths created by improperly installed parts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pinned or Rocksett setscrews with dimpled barrel.
View Quote

How do you know if a barrel is dimpled??
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look at it?

What kind of barrel do you have?  A photo maybe?  Is it disassembled?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Look at it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it?

Ok...where on the barrel should I be looking?

I have a Wilson Arms SS 18" bull barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it?

Set screw dimples are under the set screws.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it?

Opposite the gas port on the bottom of the barrel.

A google image search for "barrel dimpled for gas block" has dozens of photos.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it?

Thanx...wil google.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used DD clamp on GB and the screws do suck.  I like a dimpled barrel and regular set screw with blue loc-tite and never had an issue.  There are a lot if good GB out there You just need to find what will best fill your needs and budget as they can be from $20 to $120.

If your barrel is not dimpled they sell a jig and and it is easy to do it yourself.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top