Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2014 4:49:10 AM EDT
I'm not sure if this is the correct place, but I hope so. This certainly isn't a GD question I don't think.

My question is, with all the pistol grips and vertical grips equipped with storage space, etc. what spare parts and accessories to you like to store in or attached to your AR?

I've heard of guys keeping spare bolts or flashlight batteries in a pistol grip, but is it really that popular or pretty rare?

I've seen tourniquets rubber-banded onto buttstocks.

I've even heard of guys keeping their strategic Skittles reserve inside a grip.

What do you like to keep with your AR, and is there anything you wish you had more room for?

For those who keep stuff in their stocks, what kind of stocks are you using?
For those who keep stuff in their forward vertical grips, what kind are you using?
For those who keep stuff in their pistol grips, what kind of pistol grips are you using?

Edit for follow up question for those who keep an AR handy for home defense:
Do you also keep hearing protection handy?

Bonus points towards a free Obama bullshit decoder ring (a $19.99 value) for those who post relevant pics, or explain their reasoning for a particular item which may not be obvious.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#1]
We stock, 5 sets of gas rings, 3 BAD levers, 4 BCGs, MAGPUL furniture sets, well I guess you could say probably enough to re-outfit several BAD15's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I store absolutely no spare or unnecessary items on my rifle, i want it as light as possible. The one item i do store is the paperwork for my SBR and Suppressor which is kept in the pistol grip, wouldnt be there if the NFA didnt exist.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
one A2 front sight pin....  anymore starts a new build
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:10:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place, but I hope so. This certainly isn't a GD question I don't think.
My question is, with all the pistol grips and vertical grips equipped with storage space, etc. what spare parts and accessories to you like to store in or attached to your AR?
I've heard of guys keeping spare bolts or flashlight batteries in a pistol grip, but is it really that popular or pretty rare?
I've seen tourniquets rubber-banded onto buttstocks.
I've even heard of guys keeping their strategic Skittles reserve inside a grip.
What do you like to keep with your AR, and is there anything you wish you had more room for?
View Quote

I have a KAC w/an aimpoint, so the majority of my extra hardware is stored in standard capacity magazines... Although, range trips would be really nice if I had a way to accommodate more hookers and nose candy.

-

-

-

-

-

This question has been asked almost as often as "This Plum Crazy rifle is composite and looks really tactical & stuff; Do I really need to pay for a Colt/DD/BCM?"

http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=579160

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=544900

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?116832-What-do-you-keep-in-your-pistol-grip-storage&s=41c0176f37e882a7724d236412c0e1ac
https://www.google.com/search?q=things+to+store+in+AR+grip&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Inside the stock of my A4 clone I've got a cleaning kit, spare bolt and firing pin.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This question has been asked almost as often as "This Plum Crazy rifle is composite and looks really tactical & stuff; Do I really need to pay for a Colt/DD/BCM?"
View Quote

Please take note that my question is different from those other threads in that I am asking for a sum of gear that people may keep in or ON their AR, not just in a pistol grip, but also attached to the buttstock (inside or out) as well as the sling, etc. and whatever else these crazy kids may be doing these days.

Also, one of those threads isn't even for this site.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Inside the stock of my A4 clone I've got a cleaning kit....
View Quote

What kind of cleaning kit? What all does it have in it?
Does it have a commercial name, a G.I. name, or did you just put it together yourself?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
For sure carry spare rings, firing pin, and firing pin retainer… IMO these are the three weakest/cheapest parks of the whole rifle.  An additional bolt or bolt cam pin are good additions also.  
Lubrication also should be carried or stowed somewhere as even a dirty lubed rifle will continue to run.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I keep a spare AR on my AR: Gilboa Snake

J/k I have a front sight tool on every ar, spare batteries for optics, trying to load up on spare bolts now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Oil in the grip spare batterires in the stock thats about it
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing!!!  run and gun, train, shoot, carry it and much of this stuff will fallout/off.  I have even had the compartments fall off my STR stock.  I keep everything empty, I put tools, spares and batteries on my person/LBE.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#12]
On skitreks I keep a sectioned cleaning rod in my survival gear.  A plugged bore is no fun to clear and renders a rifle hors de combat.

Other than that, nothing, except for the zeroed carry handle if the rifle is scped.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Bolt & firing pin, I've broken a bolt, ruined a range day.
I prefer to keep stuff off and out of the gun, but keeping them there means I'll never forget them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I only keep 2 scope batteries in my grip.

I do have a small parts kit that goes with the gun; back pack case ect, that has a lot more stuff in it though fairly basic and light.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't keep spare parts ON the gun unless you count spare batteries for lights, lasers or optics. A small tube of lube and foam earplugs if there's room.
B.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For sure carry spare rings, firing pin, and firing pin retainer… IMO these are the three weakest/cheapest parks of the whole rifle.  An additional bolt or bolt cam pin are good additions also.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm glad I started this thread. I never would have thought of those particular parts. I think I'll grab a couple of these field repair kits from PSA to be safe. (I wonder why they are so cheap compared to other offerings?)
The lube is a no brainer too, but I'll be damned if I actully have any stashed on the gun at the moment.
Sounds like you guys are using very small little tubes of lube. What kind? Where are you getting such small amounts?
Quoted:
I keep a spare AR on my AR: Gilboa Snake

2 is 1. 1 is none.
Quoted:
trying to load up on spare bolts now.

I want to do the same. Any particular ones caught your eye?
Quoted:
On skitreks I keep a sectioned cleaning rod in my survival gear.  A plugged bore is no fun to clear and renders a rifle hors de combat.

Can you recommend a good one?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#17]
In my magpul grip I keep one battery for the aimpoint, one pair of disposable hearing pro.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Spare bolts are BCM or Spikes like my BCGs I don't go in for all the space gun coatings
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Does it have a commercial name, a G.I. name, or did you just put it together yourself?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Inside the stock of my A4 clone I've got a cleaning kit....

It came as a kit I picked up at a surplus store. Rods sections, brushes and patches. Everything fit inside the stock, except the pouch itself. I just fit all that stuff into a zip lock bag and sinched it up with a little bit of duct tape.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#20]
extra phone battery for when it dies from all of the selfies I take while shooting
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Extra bolt, FP, cam pin in pistol grip, aimpoint batteries, light batteries, gas rings, and firing pin retaining pin in stock.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
extra phone battery for when it dies from all of the selfies I take while shooting
View Quote

Buahahaha
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nothing!!!  run and gun, train, shoot, carry it and much of this stuff will fallout/off.  I have even had the compartments fall off my STR stock.  I keep everything empty, I put tools, spares and batteries on my person/LBE.
View Quote

I want my rifle as light as possible too. I keep Magpul grips full of CR123 batteries for the TLR-1s lights. Other than that, on my person or in my bag I keep a spare 9310 bolt, gas rings, firing pin, cam pin bolt, cam pin cotter/retaining pin, and lube...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]

And a spare coil cell battery for my RDS. In my shooters bag is the other stuff (spare bolt, firing pin and retainer, cam pin, broken shell extractor, cleaning kit, etc).

ETA: that's a 3ml dropper bottle with Mobile1.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#25]
. 5 ml machine gun lube on rifle is it. Back packs are for spare parts. As far as home defense, I would never use and AR for that. That's what my pistols are for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#26]
AA battery set
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#27]
CR123's (6) in my SOPMOD stocks (3 in each tube) and a small bottle of lube in my pistol grip or VFG.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Chapstick in one of my STR stock storage tubes. That gun has an ACOG, so no need for extra batteries or anything.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't have a SOPMOD stock, but if I did, I would store a few spare rounds in it for the zombie apocalypse. I don't think I would commit suicide, but they would be there if I needed to humanely put myself down. On the other hand though, having a few spare rounds could make the difference between getting to safety or being zombie food.

In reality though, I would probably just store a spare bolt, batteries, lube, and tax stamp.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#30]
My SRT stocks hold two CR123's & 2 AA's for my optics & lights. My MOE grips hold a .5oz bottle of lube and a nickel (my tactical screwdriver for making optics adjustments and changing the batteries in my TLR-1 HL).
Tomac
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Batteries for optic and weapon light, spare bolt, small bottle of lube, earplugs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:56:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't laugh at me ...

5 CR123s and 2 little bottles of Slip 2000 EWL

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I go with what is most likely to fail... spare firing pin in the grip, spare battery in the AFG.  I consider the battery the more important of the 2 as I don't run BUIS.  I've never had an optic actually fail, just go dead.  Never had a firing pin fail either, but it does take more abouse than any part of the weapon.  

Saw in an earlier post someone else kept a firing-pin retainer with their firing pin.  Don't know why I haven't before now but I'll be doing that ASAP to all of mine.  I'm having one of those "DDDUUUUHHHH, why didn't I think of that before?" moments right now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Couple pairs of foam earplugs and CR123s in my ACS.  Been meaning to add a tiny bottle of oil, thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
some weed and a shot of jamo in the pistol grip to improve my accuracy
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#36]
In the grip, I keep a spare bolt, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin. In my Sopmod stock, I keep a small bottle of oil and cr 123s. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Condom in the grip.  Female's always want to hook up in the range latrine when they see I have a Colt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Condom in the grip.  Female's always want to hook up in the range latrine when they see I have a Colt.
View Quote

Then I show up in other lane with a LaRue and.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't see any point in storing spare parts on my rifles, so I don't.

Here's an awesome idea for you guys that like to though. Adapt this mount to attach your Glock at the 6 o'clock rail and use it as a combination vertical grip / mini-master key. The hole behind the backstrap will also give you more space to store stuff. It would be totally legal, be wicked cool, make transitions way simple, AND allow you to store more parts.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I keep a shrunken copy of my Form 1 in a ziplock bag stuffed into the pistol grip on all of my SBR's. That's so I never get caught without the ability to prove I'm legal.  Other than that, I don't keep anything on my guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Bottle of Slip 2000 in the forward vertical grip; spare battery for the T-1; couple spare FP retaining pins (easily lost when doing field maintenance). If it turns out I need more than that, I'm probably fooked anyway.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bottle of Slip 2000 in the forward vertical grip; spare battery for the T-1; couple spare FP retaining pins (easily lost when doing field maintenance). If it turns out I need more than that, I'm probably fooked anyway.....
View Quote

What kind of vertical grip?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#43]
small compass
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#44]
In one rifle I keep a mini bottle of break free and another rifle I keep magpul dummy rounds for various purposes
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top