AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bushmaster has had chrome lined barrels, except on the stainless steel barrelled varmint models, as long as I remember.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my experience of working the counter of an LGS, we've had more bushmasters come in needing repair or getting stuck casings out than any other AR rifle. Now, it is important to note that this doesn't always mean that all bushmasters are bad. It may mean there are SO MANY bushmasters out there, that the probability of one coming in with issues is higher than one from another maker.

That being said,

I've owned three bushmaster rifles. All of them, I repeat... ALL of them gave me issues. Mainly stuck casings and not just steel cased ammo. Lots of failures to feed and mostly failures to extract. In almost all of these cases, I replaced the factory bushmaster barrel with a Spikes or Daniel Defense barrel and it no longer had issues. Due to the issues with the barrels, I am suspect of their bolt carrier groups as well and have replaced them or installed them in "beater" AR's.

It seems the Bushmaster rifles I've owned either did not have chrome lined chambers or had improperly reamed chambers, among other things. Can they make a good product? Maybe. I just never got one.
Bushmaster has had chrome lined barrels, except on the stainless steel barrelled varmint models, as long as I remember.  

Hell you can chrome line anything. The proper barrel steel per mil-spec is MIL-11595-E barrel steel (or something like that) then there are certain q.c. in process to make sure it is good to go i.e. proof/high pressure testing. "Bushmaster" or "Freedommaster Bush Group" does not use the correct mil-spec steel but do still claim to be mil-spec. This kind of thing drives me crazy. If the damn thing has a mil-spec buffer tube/receiver extension, then the company calls it "mil-spec" when in fact all's it is is garbauge.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Mil spec, mil spec and more mil spec. You think your gun is mil spec? You really want mil spec join the Marines.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Tell me more about this Bushmaster/Government contract. It sounds interesting. The government really bought some Bushmasters? What did they do with them? Try to field them like a regular Colt or just do some R&D?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bushy picked up some large gov't contracts just as the stories spread of them treating individuals like crap.  

The ONLY U.S. Military contract was for no more than 75 weapons and that was YEARS ago.

Peter Kokalis RAVED about it in S.O.F. Magazine.

Tell me more about this Bushmaster/Government contract. It sounds interesting. The government really bought some Bushmasters? What did they do with them? Try to field them like a regular Colt or just do some R&D?

As I understand it they were issued. This was quite a few years ago 15-20 IIRC.

Bushmaster isn't a BAD AR, it's just not an outstanding AR.

I'd venture to say, they are one of the better choices if you can get them for $700 or less.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The only bushmaster I've owned was a A4 clone, and it shot great, no issues ever. This was back in '07 though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I've only had my bushmaster m4 a3 for a few months. It does not like the steel cased tulu ammo, wont cycle it. But like others here at this forum have said, use cheap stuff, you get cheap results. Only other issue I've had so for, after about 200 rds, it got to were it wouldnt cycle, this was fixed easily by cleaning it. These are reloads that I'm firing and he said it was some cheap powder and the amount wasnt quite as much as normal. Other than that, no problems so for, but I've only run maybe 500 rds through it. I love mine, and I'm just glad that after all this time I was able to get one. Wanted one for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I've put about 2k of steel Wolf and Tul thru mine, using 3 different barrels to date. So far it eats it up. No prob. Zero issues.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I inspected my Bushmaster bolt group again today, and compared it to my DPMS bolt group. The Bushmaster actually had much better staking than the DPMS. The DPMS staking didn't reach the heads!

Also both have had stuck steel cases. Should I use get an O-ring?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my experience of working the counter of an LGS, we've had more bushmasters come in needing repair or getting stuck casings out than any other AR rifle. Now, it is important to note that this doesn't always mean that all bushmasters are bad. It may mean there are SO MANY bushmasters out there, that the probability of one coming in with issues is higher than one from another maker.

That being said,

I've owned three bushmaster rifles. All of them, I repeat... ALL of them gave me issues. Mainly stuck casings and not just steel cased ammo. Lots of failures to feed and mostly failures to extract. In almost all of these cases, I replaced the factory bushmaster barrel with a Spikes or Daniel Defense barrel and it no longer had issues. Due to the issues with the barrels, I am suspect of their bolt carrier groups as well and have replaced them or installed them in "beater" AR's.

It seems the Bushmaster rifles I've owned either did not have chrome lined chambers or had improperly reamed chambers, among other things. Can they make a good product? Maybe. I just never got one.

Or partially chromelined. I bought a Bushmaster 10.5" barrel years ago, and there was a section of chrome missing from the chamber. Bushmaster accused me of firing bad reloads until I told them the barrel hand't been installed yet.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They would never see her coming! By the time you know she's there you are already dead
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That dog....is AWESOME!
They would never see her coming! By the time you know she's there you are already dead

The dog just gotta wake you up...i recently moved from the middle of the desert in AZ to here in OKC, OK...my house in AZ was smack between Tucson and Phoenix in Arizona City. We had no street lights, no police department (a county Sheriff outpost), and were within 5 miles or so of a major drug trafficking route. I had a mini poodle, a mini poodle/yorkie mix and a chinese shar-pei.

People all the time asked me why i didnt have bigger dogs due to where i lived....like i just said above...the dog just gotta wake me up, i will take it from there....oh and no mountains of dog pooh and 50#'s of food a week either! Yeah, little dogs rock!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
oh and no mountains of dog pooh and 50#'s of food a week either! Yeah, little dogs rock!
View Quote

I like my English Mastiff more than my Bushmaster....wait, what ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, I bought a bushmaster carbon-15 that was a great rifle for what it was, an inexpensive entry level rifle.  It shot everything I threw at it and asked for more (it ate tula up).  Had a super fun time with it and had absolutely no problems.  I wouldn't want to get into a firefight with it, being that it was a polymer upper and lower.  BUT I'll take any of its metal brothers any day.  Don't let anyone's opinions get in the way of enjoying it.  
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MLid46oaXVw/U9Asb8qdoTI/AAAAAAAAA4Y/y_7epdMpeEM/s640/DSC_9659.jpg

I ended up succumbing to the BRD and eventually built the AR in the picture below (it thumbs its nose at tula and won't cycle it):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0TTD9G2Pwz4/U8wtYEgJ7uI/AAAAAAAAA3k/IA2xCU8ciac/s640/IMAG0086.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The dog just gotta wake you up...i recently moved from the middle of the desert in AZ to here in OKC, OK...my house in AZ was smack between Tucson and Phoenix in Arizona City. We had no street lights, no police department (a county Sheriff outpost), and were within 5 miles or so of a major drug trafficking route. I had a mini poodle, a mini poodle/yorkie mix and a chinese shar-pei.

People all the time asked me why i didnt have bigger dogs due to where i lived....like i just said above...the dog just gotta wake me up, i will take it from there....oh and no mountains of dog pooh and 50#'s of food a week either! Yeah, little dogs rock!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That dog....is AWESOME!

Yeah she is about 5#, think she could live off the food that hits the floor! A 20# bag of dog food lasts months!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bushy picked up some large gov't contracts just as the stories spread of them treating individuals like crap.  

The ONLY U.S. Military contract was for no more than 75 weapons and that was YEARS ago.

I did not say military.   Many Bushy's bought by many government agencies from local up to federal (plus foreign).

Quoted:
Our agency bought 400 Bushmasters from 2007-2008.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are plenty of rifles that (or claim to be) are the same as military rifles except for being semi auto.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mil spec, mil spec and more mil spec. You think your gun is mil spec? You really want mil spec join the Marines.
There are plenty of rifles that (or claim to be) are the same as military rifles except for being semi auto.  

Quoted for truth. That said, a Bushy isn't a bad rifle. Even the ones manufactured today... I like them, just not as much as others...
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double Tap.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did not say military.   Many Bushy's bought by many government agencies from local up to federal (plus foreign).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Our agency bought 400 Bushmasters from 2007-2008.

Yes, a lot of local L.E. Agencies purchase them, I would like to see the source of your reference to Federal Govt. Agencies purchasing them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I never thought of bushmaster as being considered low quality until I started reading here, and I've only skimmed through "The Chart" for fun. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious like bolt failures or something to watch for. If it's over nit pick, mil spec stuff I'm not concerned. I don't care what brand anything is, or who likes the brand, as long as it is good stuff. I'm not trusting my life to it and hopefully never have to. But it's never let me down yet.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still find it funny that Bushmaster used to be an acceptable brand until "the chart" came out. Suddenly, the same unstaked commercial receiver extensions and semi bolt carriers that 80% of the industry used for years with no problem was the line in the sand drawn dividing "serious" and "hobby grade" AR-15's.

I never thought of bushmaster as being considered low quality until I started reading here, and I've only skimmed through "The Chart" for fun. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious like bolt failures or something to watch for. If it's over nit pick, mil spec stuff I'm not concerned. I don't care what brand anything is, or who likes the brand, as long as it is good stuff. I'm not trusting my life to it and hopefully never have to. But it's never let me down yet.  

Keep in mind most people bashing bushmaster are only repeating back what they heard or read here. Bushmaster is popular so seeing a failure at the range is not a good indication of problems. It's like if a repair man said he sees a lot of fords in his shop does that mean ford makes bad cars?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They are not Tier 1, super duper, Delta Force Seal Ranger Operator guns... So the keyboard commandos here do not approve of them.

In all honesty, their QC is rather hit or miss, especially since they became part of Remington. I have one that I bought back in 2008 that has proven to be a good gun. I had some FTE problems, but once I installed a BCM extractor upgrade, that went away.
View Quote

Actually they are. During desert storm the military contacted bushmaster to make more m4s for them. Current day only fn or colt but you occasionally see a bushmaster but very rarely and usually in some armory storage. Current day bushmaster exports m4s to various militaries in the world. So how can they be piss poor? Their custome shop can get you a new identical military model.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Actually they are. During desert storm the military contacted bushmaster to make more m4s for them. Current day only fn or colt but you occasionally see a bushmaster but very rarely and usually in some armory storage. Current day bushmaster exports m4s to various militaries in the world. So how can they be piss poor? Their custome shop can get you a new identical military model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are not Tier 1, super duper, Delta Force Seal Ranger Operator guns... So the keyboard commandos here do not approve of them.

In all honesty, their QC is rather hit or miss, especially since they became part of Remington. I have one that I bought back in 2008 that has proven to be a good gun. I had some FTE problems, but once I installed a BCM extractor upgrade, that went away.

That MAY have been the <75 guns supplied to the U.S. Military. By Bushmasters own admission they were not geared up for U.S. Military contracts.

Here is a quote out of the Colt vs Bushmaster Lawsuit...

"April 1990 Bushmaster and the Army entered into a contract pursuant to which Bushmaster was to provide sixty-five carbines having "all the physical and technical characteristics of the M4 Carbine." Bushmaster completed delivery of these firearms and was paid by check dated June 27, 1990."
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I still have a Bushmaster carbine I bought about 4 months before the start of the '04 ban. Has always been 100%
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Today, my new Bushmaster just hit the 800-round mark. I took it apart for a good cleaning and lube. Nothing broken, no unusual wear. At the range, no failures of any kind, and nothing unusual. So, im guessing that my new defective rifle must be defective. Lol!! But, seriously, a person needs to be careful when reading posts on forums. For example, if any company were to produce 1000 products, and 30 of them were defective somehow, then those 30 would be the ones you would be hearing the most about. Very little would be said about the other 970 that were perfectly fine. And i think that is what is happening here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... Yeah ok

As said earlier in this thread, Bushmaster only made 75-77 guns for the .mil (for testing purposes only), no more where ever ordered and none are currently fielded.

Their QC department is a freaking joke.  For the same money there are better options.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

LOL... Yeah ok

As said earlier in this thread, Bushmaster only made 75-77 guns for the .mil (for testing purposes only), no more where ever ordered and none are currently fielded.

Their QC department is a freaking joke.  For the same money there are better options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... Yeah ok

This says they bought a lot more than 77.
http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/04/20/us-army-places-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/04/20/us-army-places-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... Yeah ok

Remington, not Bushmaster...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... Yeah ok

Both are part of the "Freedom Group," and are made in the same plant.  For all intents and purposes they are one and the same.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:40:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... Yeah ok

Remington, Bushmaster, and DPMS are all owned by the Freedom Group, are they not?

I'll admit that I'm a bit fuzzy about what all that means, but Remington didn't have a factory tooled up to produce AR-style rifles prior to acquiring Bushmaster and DPMS, so far as I know. I always assumed they started offering them because they now own those two companies.

Is Remington Defense actually housed in a separate facility then Bushmasters are produced in?

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I know there's a Remington version of the ACR, that's marketed toward military applications and the Bushmaster version is the one available to civilians, but I'd assume both are produced in the same factory. It'd make sense, from a manufacturing standpoint.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Remington, Bushmaster, and DPMS are all owned by the Freedom Group, are they not?

I'll admit that I'm a bit fuzzy about what all that means, but Remington didn't have a factory tooled up to produce AR-style rifles prior to acquiring Bushmaster and DPMS, so far as I know. I always assumed they started offering them because they now own those two companies.

Is Remington Defense actually housed in a separate facility then Bushmasters are produced in?

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I know there's a Remington version of the ACR, that's marketed toward military applications and the Bushmaster version is the one available to civilians, but I'd assume both are produced in the same factory. It'd make sense, from a manufacturing standpoint.
View Quote

I see what your saying.  Although they are owned by the same entity they're different companies and have nothing to do with one another.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Both are part of the "Freedom Group," and are made in the same plant.  For all intents and purposes they are one and the same.
View Quote

No, they aren't.  Different manufacturing lines and I'm pretty sure the craptastic QC that seems to be be an issue with some Bushies wouldn't be acceptable from Remingtons .mil line...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go over to lightfighter and tell pat Rogers that bushies are great, bring a helmet  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still find it funny that Bushmaster used to be an acceptable brand until "the chart" came out. Suddenly, the same unstaked commercial receiver extensions and semi bolt carriers that 80% of the industry used for years with no problem was the line in the sand drawn dividing "serious" and "hobby grade" AR-15's.

Keep in mind most people bashing bushmaster are only repeating back what they heard or read here. Bushmaster is popular so seeing a failure at the range is not a good indication of problems. It's like if a repair man said he sees a lot of fords in his shop does that mean ford makes bad cars?
Go over to lightfighter and tell pat Rogers that bushies are great, bring a helmet  

Why would I talk to this joker Pat at lightfarts? And why is his opinion so great?

If anyone notices all the bashing of bushmaster is from what people heard from a friend of a friend.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why would I talk to this joker Pat at lightfarts? And why is his opinion so great?

If anyone notices all the bashing of bushmaster is from what people heard from a friend of a friend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's sometimes nice when people open their mouths and reveal their ignorance.  It makes it easier to identify the knuckleheads.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, they aren't.  Different manufacturing lines and I'm pretty sure the craptastic QC that seems to be be an issue with some Bushies wouldn't be acceptable from Remingtons .mil line...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate to break it to you, but a company isn't going to have 2 different QC departments in the same building. Not only does it not make sense, but it's also bad business...
All this talk of "how bad" bushmaster is refers to when Remington took over.  That would put Remington to blame... So apparently it IS acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hate to break it to you, but a company isn't going to have 2 different QC departments in the same building. Not only does it not make sense, but it's also bad business...
All this talk of "how bad" bushmaster is refers to when Remington took over.  That would put Remington to blame... So apparently it IS acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bushmaster has had issues with improper staking for YEARS, long before Freedom Group acquired them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Bushmaster has had issues with improper staking for YEARS, long before Freedom Group acquired them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this thread, the majority of the issues started then.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, according to ME I found the carrier key screws loose when performing the P.M. on a Dept's Bushmasters. They were at least 10 years old.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#41]
BUSHMASTER ? they are lower than a rattle sneak belly in a wagon wheel rut!

Just kidding

People used to love them. I used to shoot b buddy's with a short BBL and a long flash hider. XM something? It was cool. He always wanted a Mil spec M4 stock. That was years ago.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#42]
E I E I O - Bushmaster's rock.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top