Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, guys... It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to pay nearly 500 bones for a random beat to shit DPMS from Bumfucked Egypt when you could pay the same amount for a brand new BCM upper and BC and slap to any cheap ass lower lying around and call it a day...
View Quote

Part of the appeal is where they've been, that being Iraq and Afghanistan where SOC had contractors. The DPMS rifles I've seen, including mine, had exterior wear, but had been shot very little, if at all. The last ones listed above do look really beat up, though.

YMMV, to each his own.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sorry, guys... It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to pay nearly 500 bones for a random beat to shit DPMS from Bumfucked Egypt when you could pay the same amount for a brand new BCM upper and BC and slap to any cheap ass lower lying around and call it a day...
View Quote

That's nice. I don't think anyone here asked YOU if YOU thought is made sense.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to get one. My only hesitation is that it states you could get one with a broken front sight. Just wouldn't feel like dealing with it. And it looks like I missed out on one with a carry handle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd like to get one. My only hesitation is that it states you could get one with a broken front sight. Just wouldn't feel like dealing with it. And it looks like I missed out on one with a carry handle.
View Quote

Mine arrived bent over to one side, but seriously, if you can operate a screwdriver-like tool, you can fix it in about 5 minutes. Screw the broken one out, screw new one in. Front sight is, what, $5?
I wouldn't let that hold you back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If these are around in 2 weeks I'm going to buy one. Figure I'll buy a beat to hell aimpoint and slap it on there and I'll have me a cheap but capable setup with the appeal of having "been over there"
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How much were the Bushmaster and ASA rifles from Century?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I received one of the "American Spirit Arms" AR15's that SOC issued along with the DPMS A15's and the Bushmaster XM15E2s.

The Bushmaster I ordered also showed up, but, the condition was listed as "Good-Incomplete".

It is lacking the entire upper assembly!

The Serial number of the Bushmaster starts with "L398XXX"
A friend of mine has one also (his arrived complete) and the serial number is "L382XXX"

The American Spirit serial number starts with "AS17XXX"

AS a nice bonus the American Spirit still has its three point sling fitted.

The American Spirit has most of its anodizing worn off the lower receiver!

Richard

Pics? and who has the other 2 brands and if you don't mind answering what is the cost on the bushmaster and American spirit?

Looks like Century has them

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RE2221%2DG

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RE2223%2DG

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI2220AY%2DGI

http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=RI2221Y%2DF

Can someone with a FFL tell us how much these are?
Century was where the Bushmaster & American Spirit rifles were ordered from, the DPMS came from Centerfire Systems.

I will try and take some pictures today.

Richard

How much were the Bushmaster and ASA rifles from Century?

Bump
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got home with my 2nd one of these and its a heavy barrel. I didn't realize at my ffl when picking up. Ill post pics in a bit
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just got home with my 2nd one of these and its a heavy barrel. I didn't realize at my ffl when picking up. Ill post pics in a bit
View Quote

Is your other one M4 profile? If so same mixed pair as mine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sure was. I have one of each also
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It appears that Centerfire Solutions has sold out of the DPMS rifles. Does anyone have a source for any more of these "reconditioned" rifles?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoping more come in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the price from centerfire for one of the bushmaster rifles?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What is the price from centerfire for one of the bushmaster rifles?
View Quote

Centerfire seems to be out. I haven't found anyone else who has either the DPMS or Bushie, though you can find the AKs in several places if you search right.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Century still has the DPMS, Bushy, and ASA's.  You need a C&R at the minimum to log it and see pricing though. $379 for poor incomplete up to $479 for good
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone have a link to find one?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are supposed to be Bushmaster and American Spirit Arms bring-backs as well. Has anyone seen these other brands for sale?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Just ordered a American Spirit Arms SOC rifle from a LGS who is getting it in. Last of the bunch I guess.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I picked up a couple of these DPMS rifles from Centerfire Systems earlier this week.  Both are M4 versions.  As stated above, both rifles have a great deal of wear on all exposed surfaces as well as a fine coating of dirt and / or sand in all the small crevices.  Looks like the SOC property tag was across the DPMS logo but was removed at some point.  Overall, love them!  One rifle has an F0 serial number and the other F1.  The F0 rifle has a large rectangular sticker on the stock that displays the name "Fletcher, W" then the serial number.  That name doesn't seem to fit the Ugandan guard theory.  I tried to contact DPMS to inquire about the history on these rifles.  I received quick responses but really no answers.  They suggested contacting the ATF.  I had hoped DPMS could at least confirm or deny SOC-USA was the original purchaser.  Again, quick response but stated they could not give out that information.
View Quote

DPMS couldn't give the information? Than how can Colt or other manufacturers issue a letter telling you about your firearm and it's first purchaser? Surprised they haven'tused this in their marketing campaigns, as other gun makers do. "Battle Proven, Battle Tough", or something. I have owned DPMS along with other manufacturers for years, but some guys still think they are not as good as I think they are.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Received mine today. Looks good. I like the battlefield look. Now I need a carry handle to match.

P8220275 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
P8220278 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
P8220276 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
P8220282 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
P8220281 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
P8220279 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
P8220280 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
P8220281 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know of a place that still has these?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Centerfire.

You should call though. When I ordered, they said they had ones with the carry handle, but showed "out of stock" on their website.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Centerfire.

You should call though. When I ordered, they said they had ones with the carry handle, but showed "out of stock" on their website.
They told me I got their last one on Monday.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Centerfire.

I think Century still has the DPMS, ASA, and Bushmasters...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking forward this week to receiving the ASA I purchased.
These are interesting rifles, not sure if used by the SOC bunch of another group of iraq/afghan contractors, but here are two on GB:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438117233

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=438696898
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, my $439  DPMS has transformed into this...........  

The barrel was a donor on to this build ...........

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2py3v4p.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2hs0mt5.jpg
View Quote

Nice job!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2py3v4p.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2hs0mt5.jpg
View Quote
Gooooooooodbyyyyyyye History!

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Gooooooooodbyyyyyyye History!  
View Quote

These are clapped-out third-tier guns that glorified security guards used and abused.  Does your sense of history extend to the bent/broken front sight posts and upper-less rifles?  There's nothing wrong with making them useful again, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#32]
History's not lost so to speak.  Everything is marked and is returnable to original condition.  I already had an M4forgery build already and swapped out the aimpoint and M4RAS on to it.  I really wanted a A4 replicant..  The BHD tribute rifle has been on my bucket list for some time now.  I posted more pics of it in another post.  Remember the first OP.  It was being purchased as a possible donor gun.

1993 Somalia Replica
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Finally got my SOC rifle in.
It is a American Spirit Arms Rifle. Fixed upper. M4 profile barrel, 1/7 twist. Full auto carrier that had the serial number of the rifle stamped along the side. The number on mine is close, but was mismatched somewhere along the way. Has the rack number on the stock, and the shadow where the SOC property tag was affixed on the right side of the magwell.
Wasn't familiar with ASA before this. It is a quality piece. I will consider one of theirs for my next carbine.

Glad I got it. These will likely be the only weapons used in any capacity that most of us will ever find and be able to own.
I don't give a rats ass if it wasn't used by a tier one operator...Glad I don't suffer from that penile envy as many here seem to.
So, for you history buffs, enjoy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Finally got my SOC rifle in.

It is a American Spirit Arms Rifle. Fixed upper. M4 profile barrel, 1/7 twist. Full auto carrier that had the serial number of the rifle stamped along the side. The number on mine is close, but was mismatched somewhere along the way. Has the rack number on the stock, and the shadow where the SOC property tag was affixed on the right side of the magwell.

Wasn't familiar with ASA before this. It is a quality piece. I will consider one of theirs for my next carbine.

Glad I got it. These will likely be the only weapons used in any capacity that most of us will ever find and be able to own.

I don't give a rats ass if it wasn't used by a tier one operator...Glad I don't suffer from that penile envy as many here seem to.

So, for you history buffs, enjoy.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/harleydrider82/SOCIraqVetASAar15001_zpsefdc8a4a.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/harleydrider82/SOCIraqVetASAar15003_zps68650ee5.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/harleydrider82/SOCIraqVetASAar15004_zps78582782.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/harleydrider82/SOCIraqVetASAar15005_zps0dc569a0.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/harleydrider82/SOCIraqVetASAar15006_zps94e4ab9c.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/harleydrider82/SOCIraqVetASAar15007_zps635a4f34.jpg
View Quote
That's really nice!

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks guys.
So far, it appears that SOC and perhaps other security contractors used DPMS in the M4 configuration, and also with a 16" heavy barrel. We have seen AK-47s in American civvy configuration with TAPCO parts, etc., for compliance here. We have seen the RPKs with the Tantal style folding stocks. And now this and a few other ASA rifles that I found out on Armslist. I only bought this one, though the LGS I bought this from had more originally.
I checked in here too late to get in on the DPMS deal, so was happy to find this. I have enjoyed seeing everyone's posts on these rifles. I don't care if they were used by Jambo or the guy who drove the SST, they are as close to a combat weapon from this war as any of us will get. So it proudly sits next to my garands, etc.
I hope more guys post up pics here, as this may be the only repository of info on the 'net about these.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.
So far, it appears that SOC and perhaps other security contractors used DPMS in the M4 configuration, and also with a 16" heavy barrel. We have seen AK-47s in American civvy configuration with TAPCO parts, etc., for compliance here. We have seen the RPKs with the Tantal style folding stocks. And now this and a few other ASA rifles that I found out on Armslist. I only bought this one, though the LGS I bought this from had more originally.
I checked in here too late to get in on the DPMS deal, so was happy to find this. I have enjoyed seeing everyone's posts on these rifles. I don't care if they were used by Jambo or the guy who drove the SST, they are as close to a combat weapon from this war as any of us will get. So it proudly sits next to my garands, etc.
I hope more guys post up pics here, as this may be the only repository of info on the 'net about these.
View Quote

Nice!

There's a huge thread going on a canadian gun site as well. The dealer up here sold out in 2 days, and he had 75 of them.

Here's mine, out in the sunshine! Took it to the range a few weeks ago, and no problems. The only repair to mine was a replacement front sight post. Mine was bent over..

You can see the remnants of the SOC property tag on my magwell. They left enough to positively ID it as an SOC tag.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Nice!
There's a huge thread going on a canadian gun site as well. The dealer up here sold out in 2 days, and he had 75 of them.
Here's mine, out in the sunshine! Took it to the range a few weeks ago, and no problems. The only repair to mine was a replacement front sight post. Mine was bent over..
You can see the remnants of the SOC property tag on my magwell. They left enough to positively ID it as an SOC tag.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/912/YmymIH.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Nice!
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/912/YmymIH.jpg
Very nice! Here is my very good DPMS from Centerfire Systems.  I hate heavy barrels.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I want one of these so bad. I was gonna get a dpms from centerfire, but they ran out. Anyone know a place?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Centuryarms.biz has some ASA's in fair complete w/0 mag for $379+sh
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#41]
The worn look is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want one of these so bad.  I don't have a Century dealer close to me though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't figure out why century makes it so hard to order from them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
I got mine in today.  I had to pay about $450 total to get my dealer to order it for me (Century made him order it instead of me so I had to pay sales tax, shipping, and transfer fee).  I'm bummed that this one does not have any goo on it from the SOC property sticker, but it is nicely worn and coated in dirt/grime. It did not come with a carry handle, despite being sold as "Complete."  I did clean the inside of the BCG and the bore, but that is it.  There is some pitting on the flash hider and the front sight base.

As you can see in this pic, the finish is worn on the lower except for when the safety is in the safe position, so I assume it was carried a lot while chambered.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I got mine in today.  I had to pay about $450 total to get my dealer to order it for me (Century made him order it instead of me so I had to pay sales tax, shipping, and transfer fee).  I'm bummed that this one does not have any goo on it from the SOC property sticker, but it is nicely worn and coated in dirt/grime. It did not come with a carry handle, despite being sold as "Complete."  I did clean the inside of the BCG and the bore, but that is it.  There is some pitting on the flash hider and the front sight base.
<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/dab969/media/imagejpg1_zps89ad84a6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg141/dab969/imagejpg1_zps89ad84a6.jpg</a>

As you can see in this pic, the finish is worn on the lower except for when the safety is in the safe position, so I assume it was carried a lot while chambered.
<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/dab969/media/imagejpg2_zpsd29e2f90.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg141/dab969/imagejpg2_zpsd29e2f90.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/dab969/media/imagejpg1_zps89ad84a6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg141/dab969/imagejpg1_zps89ad84a6.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s247.photobucket.com/user/dab969/media/imagejpg2_zpsd29e2f90.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg141/dab969/imagejpg2_zpsd29e2f90.jpg</a>

Sweet indeed.
Interesting that SOC or whomever used so many variants of these. Fixed upper, removable upper, HBAR, M4 profile, etc. I know there was a TON of money to be made in the early years of the war, so perhaps they just bought whatever they could get their hands on.
I don't remember where I read it, but I came across a blurb somewhere that said basically that State Department and perhaps others required any contractors who were working as PSD/VIP type security to have M-4 type rifles.
But I am sure most of these were used by Jambo, cool with me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Are the American Spirit barrels chrome lined?  I was wondering if the CB marking has something to do with being chromed.  

I couldn't pass up $379 for a complete AR/war relic, so I ordered one this morning.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Are the American Spirit barrels chrome lined?  I was wondering if the CB marking has something to do with being chromed.  

I couldn't pass up $379 for a complete AR/war relic, so I ordered one this morning.
View Quote
Yes, mine is chrome lined and has an F marked FSB. It came with a semi auto carrier for those that are keeping track. It's amazing how light the M4 is compared to the DPMS HBAR.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, mine is chrome lined and has an F marked FSB. It came with a semi auto carrier for those that are keeping track. It's amazing how light the M4 is compared to the DPMS HBAR.  
View Quote

Thanks EagleArmsHBAR for the quick reply!

This seems like a smoking deal!  I know it says "Fair" condition, but I like the finishes of those posted and it is something that can be beat up without care in a very useable rifle even if I have to swap a few bent front sights or trigger guards!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

This seems like a smoking deal!  I know it says "Fair" condition, but I like the finishes of those posted and it is something that can be beat up without care in a very useable rifle even if I have to swap a few bent front sights or trigger guards!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From everything I have seen online, the ASAs are the most weathered of the AR bring backs. I'm kind of bummed about the lack of carry handles. Makes you wonder what sights they had attached to them.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top