Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2014 3:47:30 PM EDT
There is a huge thread for Recce rifles, but is there a dedicated "Afghan" picture/discussion thread for 14.5" precision rifles? These were also called "Recon Scouts", IIRC.

EDIT: to clarify, this thread is for 5.56 ARs with 14.5" precision barrels (stainless steel, or accurized CMV), and an optic capable of magnification.

EDIT 2: The barrel does not have to be Noveske Afghan. See above.

EDIT 3: It Begins

EDIT 4: Optic trial

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#2]
14.5" precision rifle is a recce rifle...it's such a loose concept that it's all grouped into one. That is the only thread you'll find.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

14.5" precision rifle is a recce rifle...it's such a loose concept that it's all grouped into one. That is the only thread you'll find.
View Quote
+1 and you wont find detailed specifics for it like the MK18/CQBR.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah, some of these are in the mega Recce thread? I looked through a few pages but didn't see any.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm all off base. I thought a recce was a precision 16". So it applies to 14.5"s as well? Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm all off base. I thought a recce was a precision 16". So it applies to 14.5"s as well? Interesting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recce is 16 not 14.5
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Recce is 16 not 14.5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recce is 16 not 14.5

I believe it can be both. But, the standard is a SS barrel across the board
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ah, some of these are in the mega Recce thread? I looked through a few pages but didn't see any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will play -
Noveski Afghan with 1.5 Battlecomp
PRI Tube
Young NM BCG
Mega Upper
NF 2.5-10x42 glass in ADM Mount
Atlas Bipod
RRA NM trigger
I really want a T1 with ADM mount for close in work

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:29:06 AM EDT
[#9]
The Lilja Recce barrel is 17" from end to end. What the barrel length works out to when the bolt is closed, IDK. It's also carbine gas and most the Recce builds in the pic thread are middy's. The Recce also use's a 1/8 twist and .223 Wylde chamber. So if we're are being picky, the Noveske Afghan doesn't qualify. It's pretty up in the air about what all other components goes into making a Recce. I personally, find it the best all around AR-15.

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 2:01:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Untitled by asp_762, on Flickr

I post this bitch entirely too often, but I just love her so damn much.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:10:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/npWcrA" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/14054346072_0a0db889e8_c.jpg</a>Untitled by asp_762, on Flickr

View Quote

Good looking rifle, would post the hell out of it myself as well, lol.
Is that a SS 3-15x?  If so, how is it?

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/npWcrA" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7338/14054346072_0a0db889e8_c.jpg</a>Untitled by asp_762, on Flickr

Thanks!

Negative. It's the SS fixed 20 power, and it is perfect for shooting groups.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Alright... since we are posting pics now:

Its a Noveske "Afghan" barrel at the very least .  It definitely still needs a bipod

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I've posted my 14.5" midlength stainless in the Recce thread many times.. Not a Noveske barrel, but it's similar (White Oak). I don't think that thread is as strict on specs as the mk12 and mk18 threads. Hell, I think only one guy in there has built a rifle close to a "spec" Recce rifle. (16" carbine gas Lilja barrel, KAC FF rail, Nightforce 2.5-10x etc.) I know mine isn't the only 14.5" in there, but you would have to sift through all the pics to find them all.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Lilja Recce barrel is 17" from end to end. What the barrel length works out to when the bolt is closed, IDK. It's also carbine gas and most the Recce builds in the pic thread are middy's. The Recce also use's a 1/8 twist and .223 Wylde chamber. So if we're are being picky, the Noveske Afghan doesn't qualify. It's pretty up in the air about what all other components goes into making a Recce. I personally, find it the best all around AR-15.

http://area7precision.us/images/mega5561.jpg
View Quote

Thats  nice stick. Seems, from what I know, that would suit things just fine.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! IMO, it suits things just fine!

I really think the Recce rifle is so undefined, pretty much anything goes. Most of BCM's 16" Recce uppers don't even have stainless barrels so pretty much anyone can play. One of the problems I have with building clones is the fact that some parts that are used just aren't the best.

Now to go against the current: my Noveske Afghan LW! All the same Afghan greatness, 4 ounces lighter!

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#18]
my Afghan over the years

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, the name of the thread is Afghan, so unless the title gets changed, I would think anything other than a Noveske Afghan barrel would be out of place.  
View Quote

Duly noted
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've posted my 14.5" midlength stainless in the Recce thread many times.. Not a Noveske barrel, but it's similar (White Oak). I don't think that thread is as strict on specs as the mk12 and mk18 threads. Hell, I think only one guy in there has built a rifle close to a "spec" Recce rifle. (16" carbine gas Lilja barrel, KAC FF rail, Nightforce 2.5-10x etc.) I know mine isn't the only 14.5" in there, but you would have to sift through all the pics to find them all.
View Quote

Post your 14.5" midlength stainless rifle pics here then, so no one will have to sift to find them
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Screw the naysayers I like the Afghan concept and I like it being separate from a RECCE. I've always thought of a RECCE being a 16".
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is 14.5" and precision
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#23]
^ um well yeah...now I've gotta go edit the OP again
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Post your 14.5" midlength stainless rifle pics here then, so no one will have to sift to find them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay then. *Disclaimer- not a Noveske Afghan barrel!

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll play...
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Ugh... I've built a Block 2, Block 1, MK12 Mod 0, MK18 Mod1 in the past 3 months alone. I'm TAPPED OUT.

And now, this.

Ordering parts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ugh... I've built a Block 2, Block 1, MK12 Mod 0, MK18 Mod1 in the past 3 months alone. I'm TAPPED OUT.

And now, this.

Ordering parts.
View Quote

Christ, you must have a lot of cash money.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:10:51 AM EDT
[#28]
WOA barrel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:25:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Is my CHF LW 14.5 chrome lined BCM middy a no go for "precision barrel"?

I can squeeze about 1.5 MOA out of it with decent ammo if I do my part, on a bookbag with a sweatshirt in it.

I'm sure with match ammo, and a lead sled, and all other benchrest BS, it is MOA or better, but as I don't consider ideal situations at a bench the same as "fighting conditions" I am not sure if it counts. A bench rifle isn't a combat rifle IMO. If you can't set it down on whatever is available and make an effective shot, what is the point? People don't go hunting with lead sleds.

ETA: I'm posting it anyway.

Noveske gen 2 lower
Geissele ssa-e trigger
Ta-31rco m150cp-g ACOG
BCM CHF 14.5 LW middy
Noveske NSR
Battlecomp1.5
BCM charging handle
Tactical Link sling
Magpul and Noveske furniture
Duracoat on the rifle, alumahyde on the pmag
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:30:03 AM EDT
[#31]
This will turn into one of my favorite pic threads around here.

14.5" all-around rigs sporting 1-4x or 1-6x optics are still arguably my favorite setups.

I'll have some decent pics to share shortly. My VCOG just arrived.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, the name of the thread is Afghan, so unless the title gets changed, I would think anything other than a Noveske Afghan barrel would be out of place.  

Nice looking blaster!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice looking blaster!

Appreciate that... It has definitely been a good rifle so far.  The photography leaves a little to be desired haha.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is my CHF LW 14.5 chrome lined BCM middy a no go for "precision barrel"?

I can squeeze about 1.5 MOA out of it with decent ammo if I do my part, on a bookbag with a sweatshirt in it.

I'm sure with match ammo, and a lead sled, and all other benchrest BS, it is MOA or better, but as I don't consider ideal situations at a bench the same as "fighting conditions" I am not sure if it counts. A bench rifle isn't a combat rifle IMO. If you can't set it down on whatever is available and make an effective shot, what is the point? People don't go hunting with lead sleds.

ETA: I'm posting it anyway.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m127/sirhybrid/8975190E-22EC-4F75-A752-B493E9CDEAFE.jpg

Noveske gen 2 lower
Geissele ssa-e trigger
Ta-31rco m150cp-g ACOG
BCM CHF 14.5 LW middy
Noveske NSR
Battlecomp1.5
BCM charging handle
Tactical Link sling
Magpul and Noveske furniture
Duracoat on the rifle, alumahyde on the pmag
View Quote

Who's talking about hunting with lead-sleds? You do know you can "fight" with a precision stainless steel barrel, right?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Well the Recce thread is up to 124 pages, so post some pics so we can catch up!
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Well the Recce thread is up to 124 pages, so post some pics so we can catch up!
View Quote
No stainless barrel.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm your huckleberry

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I really think the Recce rifle is so undefined, pretty much anything goes. Most of BCM's 16" Recce uppers don't even have stainless barrels so pretty much anyone can play. One of the problems I have with building clones is the fact that some parts that are used just aren't the best.

Now to go against the current: my Noveske Afghan LW! All the same Afghan greatness, 4 ounces lighter!

http://area7precision.us/images/010.JPG

http://area7precision.us/images/54141.jpg

http://area7precision.us/images/rng2.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What fore end is that?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#38]
What I have so far

Barrel is a Rainier UltraMatch. Furniture is B5 Systems "Coyote" (in reality, it's FS30118 Field Drab, aka SOCOM Dark Earth)

For the optic, I'm torn...I think with a 1-6X it would be an excellent (though a bit heavy) all-around AR. With a low-power variable like a 2.5-10X, it would be lose the close-in ability (unless paired with an MRD) and be more of a dedicated Precision rifle. What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What I have so far

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/Mobile%20Uploads/20140531_154759_zps43375b33.jpg

Barrel is a Rainier UltraMatch. Furniture is B5 Systems "Coyote" (in reality, it's FS30118 Field Drab, aka SOCOM Dark Earth)

For the optic, I'm torn...I think with a 1-6X it would be an excellent (though a bit heavy) all-around AR. With a low-power variable like a 2.5-10X, it would be lose the close-in ability (unless paired with an MRD) and be more of a dedicated Precision rifle. What are your thoughts?
View Quote
Tried a 2-7 and went back to 1-4 for 400 yards.

If you think you will be shooting past 400 a lot get the 2.5-10.

ETA: I shoot man/deer size targets so 1-4 for me works best for that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#40]
You should do well that 1-4 as for me I gave it up to go to a vortex 2.5-10x44. Should have it Monday and will post pics. I needed the extra magnification for my eyes. Enjoy that scope it is a good one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Top rifle Noveske 14.5" Afghan

Bottom rifle Noveske 16" Middie

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What I have so far
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/Mobile%20Uploads/20140531_154759_zps43375b33.jpg

View Quote

If you are doing more paper punching, or shooting small targets, the 2.5-10x would be better, but as long as your eyesight is still decent you won't give up much with a 1-6x. I think that is the perfect magnification for this barrel length/caliber. I really like having 1x on the low end, and am not too fond of having a second optic riding high or off to the side..
Lots of good 1-6x options these days to choose from too.

Rifle looks nice btw, I see we have some parts in common!
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What fore end is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What fore end is that?

KAC URX 4 10"
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally, a home for my rifle.  I am not posting pics yet because I still need to source my handguard, optic, and decide on a muzzle device.   Right now it is a Spikes Pirate lower, Rainier upper and Ultramatch barrel.  Pics will follow.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Theory: a 1-6X variable is the optimal optic for this type of rifle
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#46]
or a 1-8

with a Noveske 14.5" N4

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I think this qualifies. 14.5 pinned
20140605_084318_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think this qualifies. 14.5 pinned
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/nSyJq4" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3919/14355703195_4944756c43_c.jpg</a>20140605_084318_1 by tb5252, on Flickr
View Quote

One of my favorites.

I'll be adding a URX III to this, hopefully, this week. Old pic.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#49]
This rifle is not a clone of any fielded rifles, just my Recce for when the red dot just doesn't cut it. I took a lot of time to build this exactly the way I like it and it's sweet. She even has the Noveske Afghan Barrel.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top