Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 6:22:52 PM EDT
I've recently been hired by a police department and am currently in the police academy. I've also recently purchased a sig m400. In the academy they only  allow us iron sights. The model m400 I bought has an a2 front sight but a magpul rear flip up sight.

This rear sight is great for a backup to my eotech 512 I will put on when I graduate but not so great as a sight in which I'll be qualifying with and using throughout the academy. What do you guys recommend on a good iron sight alternative? I'm just looking to replace that rear flip up for now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite back up sight is the KAC micros.  But, if I was in your situation I would get the Daniel defense rear sight.  It's as rock solid as a carry handle and it stays up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT, you can pick them up cheap in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice. I'm not necessarily looking for a backup sight. I guess I'll just need to see these in person.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm also not above a carry handle. Just whatever gives me the best sight picture in an iron sight. We'll be shooting in low light conditions etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My favorite back up sight is the KAC micros.  But, if I was in your situation I would get the Daniel defense rear sight.  It's as rock solid as a carry handle and it stays up.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

x2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

Probably not the best sight for this application since he said he will be shooting in low light and the KAC micros only have a small aperture.

I'd recommend the LaRue or Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
use a FIXED sight. If thats all you are using then you don't need a flip-up. Go with a LT or LMT sight. The carry handle is great as well obviously.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a big fan of the daniels defense fixed sight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a GG&G MAD buis if your going fixed a cut down carry handle ought to do it...cheap and solid
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm also not above a carry handle. Just whatever gives me the best sight picture in an iron sight. We'll be shooting in low light conditions etc.
View Quote

I'd buy a BCM carry handle very nice and solid.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
LT or DD
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Use whatever kind of sight you'd use as a backup to your optic. Kindof a waste to practice with something you won't be carrying, ya?

If you want a folding BUIS, the Troy, ARMS, Magpul Pro, KAC or MaTech will serve you well.(Though I am loathe to support Troy Industries in any way, their battle sights are good kit. Get a BCM one or find a used one on the E&E for cheap since more than a few people want nothing to do with them)

If you intend to run fixed BUIS behind your optic, the LMT, DD, MI,(Pretty much a copy of the DD) LT and, believe it or not, Rock River ones are pretty good. For a fixed A2 style, I prefer the RR over the LMT. Hate the big-ass knob that gets in the way. RR doesn't have that, instead there are two low profile, hex head cross bolts. Perfect if you don't intent to remove the thing, or if you just like the extra peace of mind. Personally, I wouldn't bother with an A2 style rear. They just tend to have more things that can break, since you likely won't be shooting irons at distances where the extra adjustments would be of use.

Now if you don't want to spend the money on any of these, the Magpul will do just fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Probably not the best sight for this application since he said he will be shooting in low light and the KAC micros only have a small aperture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2

I agree, I have a KAC micro on one of mine and in low light it's not very good. Carry handle with A2 style sight is much better.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm curious why you don't think the Magpul is a good backup sight? I've used lots of different ones and I typically prefer types like the Magpul that have wings on either side of the peep. And honestly, if you're getting the right sight picture, the brand if sight shouldn't matter. A peep is a peep. I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you don't like it? That would definitely help people give a recommendation.

And you do know that the peep has an insert that folds down for a bigger peep in low light or close quarters, right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Find a used carry handle cheap.  Then look at the CSAT sights.  Replace front and rear.  Should do everything you need with irons plus it has a tritium front sight post so it's great for low light shooting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love the LMT sights.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a like new Daniel Defense stand alone rear sight I will trade you straight up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I would use a carry handle during the acadamy, and put the MBUS on afterwards.

You'll be hard pressed to find something as rugged and inexpensive.

Eta- you're also probably overthing firearms quals. Most are a joke.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer the DD to the LMT (but LMT look better IMHO) because of the A1 style locking detent and smaller size/less rail space used/needed.  The only need for the elevation adjustment is on a KD target range.  I have never had the need or used elevation adjustments on a sight since '93.  It is easier to learn and use your holdovers.....ie that target is far away so I will aim at the top of the body and still get a hit if they are close enough for me to see without magnification and considerate enough to stand still in the open.

I have seen many elevation wheels on A2 sights mysteriously move from rough handling/use/privates/armorers/who knows what....

Just use the MBUS unless you want a fixed rear sight.  The DD A1.5  is the best choice function/price wise, with the LaRue in second.  

Most rifle qual courses are a joke anyway.  The furthest you will shoot in most LE COF is 100 yards on a B-27 target.  The NRA Patrol Rifle Instructor qual is 50 yards and in, although half is fired from the support side and a reduced target is used.  Still not a hard course.

Good luck with the Academy.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Any fixed rear sight will likely work.

Larue, DD, and if you're not anti Troy like many are will all work just the same.  Budget and availability should be your concern here, and thats it!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Personally, if I were you I would just stick with the magpul flip ups for training, since that's what you said you'll be using as a BUIS on patrol. Not sure about Kentucky, but for Alabama's carbine qualification the furthest you shoot is 50 yards, so you shouldn't have any issues with the Magpul.

And at least they let you bring your own rifle to the academy. I was in the first academy class here to do a rifle familiarization and they provided us with surplus A1's that probably hadn't been fired since 'Nam. lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah they have some old ones but they encourage us to bring our department issue/personal. Basically whatever we'll be using on the street. Makes sense during rapid response training.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#26]
So carry handle is not as nice as the dd iron?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am a big fan of the daniels defense fixed sight.
View Quote

this

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Matech or KAC.

I like to have windage and elevation adjustments.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Use whatever kind of sight you'd use as a backup to your optic. Kindof a waste to practice with something you won't be carrying, ya?

e.
View Quote

This. If it's good enough after the academy it's good enough in the academy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top