Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2014 2:47:14 PM EDT
I am fairly new to the AR platform. I have a AR heavy barrel which I developed a very accurate reload for. I recently purchased a second AR it is an ATI Omni. When I shot factory loads it works perfectly, but when I shot the reloads it rips the rim off and does not eject the empty. I know the reloads are not too heavy. Does anyone have anything I should check or change on the ATI. I have about 2000 of my reloads.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to take pics if you can, it will help us understand your problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't want you to think I am questioning your reloads but are the loads you developed for your other AR F/L sized ? The reason I ask is I have a M1A that I only bump the shoulder back .005" to get sort of a fire form affect and if they are not F/L resized they may no fit the new chamber correctly
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^ That! Have you tried to cycle loaded rounds?

BE CAREFULL!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the reloads are Full Length resized. It is okay to question the reloads as that is what I thought at first. The shells that stick had a large chunk out of the rim the same size as the extractor. Tomorrow I am going try the BCG out of the heavy barrel in the ATI to see if it does the same thing. I will try to figure out how to post a picture also.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think there is anything wrong w/ the extractor. If there's brass missing on the case from the extractor then its trying to pull the case out but its getting stuck. Its probably a tight chamber &/or the case diameter of your reloads are to large & when shot again expand even more & get stuck. I would guess the latter. You will have to do some measuring.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
What are the barrel lengths and gas systems of each rifle?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#7]
If it shoots factory ammo ok then your reloads are obviously a problem.
You might try slowing down extraction so the chamber pressure has time to drop more.
Heavy action spring and/or heavy buffer.
Also post in the reloading forum with your component list.
You also need to include info about the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Both are 16" barrels, and I am not sure what you mean by type of gas system.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Carbine length gas system, midlength, rifle length gas system (unlikely on a 16"). There is supposedly an intermediate length as well, I believe between mid and rifle. This brings dwell time into play. I think I understand, but I'm no teacher, google it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I have found the problem. Today at the range I tried to eject a loaded round from the ATI and it required a couple of taps with a hammer to eject the loaded round. I am currently using a Redding FL resizing die to make reloads. I think I might need to use a small base die as it seems this gun has a very tight chamber. I am not sure how I am going to deal with the 2K rounds I already have loaded. I want all my rounds to work in both the heavy barrel and the ATI.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are the SAAMI Maximum Cartridge / Minimum Chamber Specifications to check your reloads with if you don't have these blueprints already.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
You need to use a small base die set.

Sounds like the chamber in your other AR is larger and your resizing is not bringing the brass back down to where it will fit on your newer AR.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:56:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think I have found the problem. Today at the range I tried to eject a loaded round from the ATI and it required a couple of taps with a hammer to eject the loaded round. I am currently using a Redding FL resizing die to make reloads. I think I might need to use a small base die as it seems this gun has a very tight chamber. I am not sure how I am going to deal with the 2K rounds I already have loaded. I want all my rounds to work in both the heavy barrel and the ATI.

Thanks for everyone's help.
View Quote

Maybe, certainly does not hurt to use a SB die, except brass life.
The weapon’s headspace could be short.
You may not be setting the case shoulder back enough.
Your trim length may not be ok.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top