Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 7:56:03 AM EDT
Does anyone make a light weight upper of the follow spec, which I'm thinking would be a great ultralight build:

-14.5" bbl, pinned to 16" with one of those lightly stretched A2 flash hiders.
-light weight / skinny bbl
-Standard front sight with bayo lug, with a flat top upper  (would consider a railed no-sight block though I suppose for the weight savings..)
-No forward assist (As Stoner intended) - but with the shell deflector  (only time I use that thing is when I probably shouldn't.)
-and while at it, chrome 1/8 or 1/9 bbl with M4 ramps (this ain't an 80 gr launcher).
-Carbine gas system.

Anyone make something close to that?  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone make a light weight upper of the follow spec, which I'm thinking would be a great ultralight build:

-Standard front sight with bayo lug, with a flat top upper  (would consider a railed no-sight block though I suppose for the weight savings..)
-No forward assist (As Stoner intended) - but with the shell deflector  (only time I use that thing is when I probably shouldn't.)
-and while at it, chrome 1/8 or 1/9 bbl with M4 ramps (this ain't an 80 gr launcher).
-Carbine gas system.

View Quote

You might have to build this one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Daniel Defense lightweight barrel and a Ranier Arms or Spike flattop upper without the forward assist housing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might have to build this one.

View Quote
Pretty much this.

It's unlikely you'll find that specific set of features on a pre-built barreled upper. Almost all of the pre-built flat tops come with a forward assist. Only exception I can think of is possibly the DPMS Sportical or the S&W M&P Sport. But those won't have the barrel length or profile you want.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks,  yea, I think I'm hosed on this one.  Was hoping to just buy something pre-assembled.  I did find someone that makes exactly the upper I'm looking for:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2940

$140 seems a bit high for a stripped upper though...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

$140 seems a bit high for a stripped upper though...
View Quote
i agree but they make them in smaller numbers using a modified spec so its not surprising thats it costs more. check out aero precision

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/upper-receviers/ar15-stripped-upper-receiver-no-forward-assist.html

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
In my recent 3 gun build I used an AP slick side upper $100ish, 6.6oz and Rainier MedCon barrel $260ish, 30oz.  

Why carbine gas?

The AP upper is solid and the Rainier barrel is very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

-Carbine gas system.

View Quote

Aero Precision Upper
Criterion light wt cr lined 1:8 carbine gassed 16" have ADCO cut it down and pin F marked fsb for you
Get BCM A2X flash hider
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Your barrel specs is the hard part. Most 1/9's will be commercial type barrel and most 14.5" carbine gas is going to be M4 profile.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
so you're dead set against 1/7? it shoots 55 grain fine and presents some better options...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my recent 3 gun build I used an AP slick side upper $100ish, 6.6oz and Rainier MedCon barrel $260ish, 30oz.  

Why carbine gas?

View Quote

That sounds like a neat build - very light!  Do you miss the brass deflector though?

To answer your question, it seems like the designers intended it to be ~4" from the gas port to the muzzle.  Carbine gas system was designed for 14.5" carbine length bbl.  Middy gas system for 16" bbl.  So if doing a 14.5" build, wanted the carbine gas system.  Plus it's kind of neat being able to mount a bayonet if you really want to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That sounds like a neat build - very light!  Do you miss the brass deflector though?

To answer your question, it seems like the designers intended it to be ~4" from the gas port to the muzzle.  Carbine gas system was designed for 14.5" carbine length bbl.  Middy gas system for 16" bbl.  So if doing a 14.5" build, wanted the carbine gas system.  Plus it's kind of neat being able to mount a bayonet if you really want to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why carbine gas?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why carbine gas?

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/940x300/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/i/right_no_fa_assembled_anodized_940x300.jpg

Thanks I had a different interpretation of "slick side".

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To answer your question, it seems like the designers intended it to be ~4" from the gas port to the muzzle. Carbine gas system was designed for 14.5" carbine length bbl. Middy gas system for 16" bbl. So if doing a 14.5" build, wanted the carbine gas system. Plus it's kind of neat being able to mount a bayonet if you really want to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
To answer your question, it seems like the designers intended it to be ~4" from the gas port to the muzzle. Carbine gas system was designed for 14.5" carbine length bbl. Middy gas system for 16" bbl. So if doing a 14.5" build, wanted the carbine gas system. Plus it's kind of neat being able to mount a bayonet if you really want to.

I still prefer midlength. I have 2 carbines, 1 was my first AR the other is a 10.5" SBR. Anything 14.5" or 16" and over, I want a mid gas. Over 16" I want rifle gas. My mid is much smoother shooting, without a doubt.

Quoted:
Thanks I had a different interpretation of "slick side".

Sorry for the bad description. I like the upper. I don't miss forward assist, but I would want it for HD or hunting.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top