Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2014 8:31:08 PM EDT
I had a brand new Ice Arms NIB BCG fail on my rifle. Internal dimensions of the gas key are out of spec. I suspect the NIB coating was too thick. My rifle jammed on the 4th round. I had to mortar the rifle several times. The bolt came loose on the 7th try at home when the gun had cooled completely. The rifle has fired 500+ rounds with 0 issues using my WMD NIB BCG (Fit and Finish are far superior.) Here is a video that demonstrates everything. Be aware my friends! I will probably go with AIM or another WMD bcg. Anyone else have this issue? I know Ice Arms has had their issues with customer service and parts. However this is the first bcg issue I have seen like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpc748MPpY&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
None of this is directed at you Bwong.
But since so many have jumped on the AR bandwagon in recent years, they are trying to get your attention with new this and that, and look at this cool new bling bling.
And to me alot of it looks like it's made for clown's to show off in a circus.

Folks better do alot homework before buying now days,there are a lot of crap companies out there,buying cheap is usually cheap.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I got an Ice Arms BCG just before the flood of bad reviews. I had to put some work in to get it to run. There were burrs on the firing pin, the extractor spring was no good, burrs in a couple other places. It works now but it is a spare hiding in the back of the parts bin that will probably never see the light of day again.

Break it down and check out the parts, might need some polishing to get it to work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
There are definitely a lot of companies putting junk out. I bought this one as a back up bolt to my WMD. I also have mil spec bcgs that work great. My WMD cleans up much easier, and has proven reliable for 1500+ rounds. I've only had to clean it three times. Each time took half as long as my phosphate bcgs. I got the BCG on sale, and i knew I was taking a chance. They have refunded my purchase so at least I'm getting my money back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
So..... Why'd you replace a working BCG?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I built another AR so the bcgs were moved around to test them. Also, In wanted to break in my back up bcg.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Translation: I bought an overhyped BCG and it doesn't work, surprise
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Problems with Ice Arms ? My shocked face....
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:31:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Internal dimensions of the gas key are out of spec.
View Quote

Not that I really give a shit but please inform us on the in-spec internal dimensions of a gas key???

ETA: I just watched your video. Thank you for keeping it short and making me laugh. Where's the catastrophe? lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:37:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:53:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one sitting on the shelf.
I'm going to have to check it out in detail now.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Fwiw, I hope I'm one of the lucky ones... I've been holding my breath the last 5 months of using one. My Ice Arms NIB stalled new back in early Dec now has 1300+rds thru it. Sometimes run pretty hard. Runs like a top(ran 100rds thru it just yesterday), as its been 100% reliable so far having being used in 2 diff ARs. Haven't even cleaned it yet. Just added oil once. Feels as smooth as any of my other BCGs(2 of which are Colts).

I'm pretty sure I read here recently that Fail Zero did the coating for Ice. Or the same co did both coatings(?)  Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:33:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not that I really give a shit but please inform us on the in-spec internal dimensions of a gas key???

ETA: I just watched your video. Thank you for keeping it short and making me laugh. Where's the catastrophe? lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that the ID of a gas key is nominally .18 in. I'll have to check my documentation later.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
It looks like the gas key ID is .1805"  ~.0008". The gas tube outside diameter spec is .18".

I've seen a few out of spec gas tubes, but never a key. Not saying yours isn't. Something is obviously wrong judging from your video.

A quality gas key is chrome-lined. Adding any additional coating seems wholly unnecessary and just asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You can either replace the gas key, the two screws that secure it, and then stake it. Or, have a gas key tool fabricated at a machine shop in your area by having a 1/4" pin punch turned down (which differs from a roll pin punch). For the Technical Manual below, Figure E-4 Key Tool of Appendix E has all the dimensions necessary to have this tool machined.

TM 05538C-23&P/2

Pages 0011-6 and 0011-7 of TM 9-1005-319-23&P shows the procedure on how to repair the carrier/gas key.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a strange sense of humor , I watched that vid hoping for a funny
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So..... Why'd you replace a working BCG?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#18]
If you can send it back to them...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#19]
So you changed the BCG and did not notice (assuming you function checked it) how tight the gas tube was?  How did you get a round chambered if the tube will not go in the gas key?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So you changed the BCG and did not notice (assuming you function checked it) how tight the gas tube was?  How did you get a round chambered if the tube will not go in the gas key?
View Quote

This was I was thinking as well. Seems the OP has checked. Oh well!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was funny in that it was really stupid. Like the "catastrophic failure after the forth round"??? Well duh, the gas tube might be fucked up now that the OP decided he needed to swap a bolt carrier after 500 rounds but where's the "catastrophe"??? If 13 bucks is catastrophic then I am fucked!!! I'm not even sure how he made it to round 4 if there was an issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I have an Ice Arms melonited BCG, never had any issues with it, nada, none.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
What issues does the milspec bcg have, again? Why oh why...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top