[#1]
Is this your first day here?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No, but....you know how it is these days.

Go with traditional BCGs, there are so many posts regarding NIB BCGs that don't cycle/function/eject/jam, whatever.

From what I gather, the NIB coating adds dimension to the part.

If the manufacturer doesn't allow for the thickness of NIB then problems occur.

I stay old school, or at most Chrome.

YMMV

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Suggestions?
View Quote

WMD has an excellent process, product and reputation.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have WMD, Rainier Arms, Aim Surplus, Spikes and Fail Zero.  The best by far are the Fail Zero and Spikes ones.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have WMD, Rainier Arms, Aim Surplus, Spikes and Fail Zero.  The best by far are the Fail Zero and Spikes ones.
View Quote

Can you fill the class in on why?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice polished finish feels smoother, and operates smoother manually.  My Rainers stick, and my WMD and AIM both have rougher finishes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no problem with my Rainier BCG. It's also cheaper then most and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

So I'm not to worried if it ever gets problems
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My vote is for WMD. Great quality overall. I haven't heard of many disappointed wmd customers.
But Spikes and Rainer are GTG as well

Remember anyone that tells you to run these dry is ignorant. You can run them dry longer than you can/could a standard phosphate bcg. But it is always smart to lube metal on metal moving parts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Spikes Tactical vote from me
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Remember BCM?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe not as cheap as you want but i got one of the TR Enabling Obsidian BCG. Bitch is slicker than snot on a doorknob.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
My Fail Zero is extremely smooth. I like it, but my bcm bcgs work just fine too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice polished finish feels smoother, and operates smoother manually.  My Rainers stick, and my WMD and AIM both have rougher finishes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I was looking for a NiB about a month ago and ended up going with a WMD. If I could go back, though, I'd look at black nitride as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:52:25 AM EDT
[#15]
No fancy coatings needed,.........
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Remember BCM?
View Quote

I would recommend this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
My rainier BCG hasn't given me any problems. I've only put about 100 rounds downrange with it though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would recommend this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember BCM?

I would recommend this.

I don't believe BCM makes a NiB bcg.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:32 AM EDT
[#19]
aim....for the price you can't beat it

Mine is smooth as a baby's a$$ so not sure what you are talking about medic?  All my NIBs are smooth??
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
how is this helpful or even technical?  

my experience is if you clean your guns after you shoot them NIB is an unneeded add on expense.  if you like to prove how long your gun will shoot without cleaning it, you may experience a slight benefit from NIB.  My fail zero works, is smooth, just as advertised, but when I clean it after coming home from the range i really don't see much benefit.  Cleans about as easy as my others, but it cost about a hundo more.  

Also be advised some solvents such as Hoppes #9 can remove some NIB coatings.  I am not sure if anybody uses the process or not but to get nickle to stick to steel they used to use a copper electro plate.  Hoppes is a mild copper solvent, guys way back found repeated cleanings with Hoppes wore out the nickle on their Colts and such.  Not saying this is 100% true in every case but buyer beware.  Regular phosphate bolts work pretty good.  And NIB bolts still need lube.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Remember BCM?
View Quote

That's what I was going to say.

I have carriers and bolts from BCM, Spikes, DD, AIM, and Colt.

All of them are properly staked, M16 carriers that are MPI/HPT and made of quality steel.

The all have never had an issue. OP is over-thinking it.

If you have to have NiB, then I'd probably look at Spikes. If you have an issue, they'll make it right.

ETA- Looking at smoothness, my AIM is the smoothest

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a spikes Nib that looks awesome but haven't used it yet. I have had a black rain ordinance that was not very good. The firing pin corroded like none other
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I can only speak for the Spikes on as it is the only one I have that came with an upper I bought.  I cannot see any difference between it and my phosphate ones.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I just picked up one of these and I am very impressed.  Got my barrel from them too, beautiful work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Anything but Fail Zero.  They have the worst customer service on the planet.  Buddy got a bad BCG from them during the panic, and they ignored his calls, his emails, etc.  Finally he contacts the sales girl directly that took his sales info, and she put him in touch with others. Still tooks weeks after that, getting a call and "apology" from the owner.  Finally after more than 5 months they replaced it.  If you're wondering it was eating gas rings, likely from a lack of QC during the panic.  I tell everyone I can to avoid them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Anything but Fail Zero.  They have the worst customer service on the planet.  Buddy got a bad BCG from them during the panic, and they ignored his calls, his emails, etc.  Finally he contacts the sales girl directly that took his sales info, and she put him in touch with others. Still tooks weeks after that, getting a call and "apology" from the owner.  Finally after more than 5 months they replaced it.  If you're wondering it was eating gas rings, likely from a lack of QC during the panic.  I tell everyone I can to avoid them.
View Quote
Not defending fail zero because I own one that works fine.  Just saying that logic works with many tested and quality vendors on this sight.  I went through a similar process with just communication being told 3 different batches that mine was in the next batch.  They were an understaffed company that go popular at the same amazing time as a crisis.  What I can say is while their communication did suck at that time and I did hate their communication then, I went through the same thing and worse with 3 other vendors at that same time.  My fail zero has worked fine since day one, and their people were really nice to me when they got in touch with me.  

I still say buy an HPT phosphate and save your money on NIB all the way around.  Just making a point that the whole period of time was crazy for a lot of quality vendors.  To continue to carry that grudge, at least for me is not worth it.  YMMV and you and your friend certainly have the right to bare that grudge.  No judgements here.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Seriously, how the hell are you guys making the decision on which NiB BCG to buy?  Looks?  Smoothness?  How are you measuring that, by FEEL?

I'd really like to know, as this is at least the second thread on NiB BCG's I've read this week and I have to learn ANYTHING about who makes a better one and why.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Seriously, how the hell are you guys making the decision on which NiB BCG to buy?  Looks?  Smoothness?  How are you measuring that, by FEEL?

I'd really like to know, as this is at least the second thread on NiB BCG's I've read this week and I have to learn ANYTHING about who makes a better one and why.

View Quote
Really not looking to be a jerk to you at all.  But seriously, that would be my first clue that a regular milspec type phosphate BCG might be the best bet.  It sounds snarky but not intended that way.  I was an idiot who got all hopped up drinking the kool aid on the virtues of NIB.  Now I say, no thanks. But ultimately it's your money to spend. I'd rather have ammo or other add on's.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smoothness = easier to clean
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:54:17 AM EDT
[#30]
The smoothest carrier I've seen is the one from Kies at Joe Bob.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:02:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Really not looking to be a jerk to you at all.  But seriously, that would be my first clue that a regular milspec type phosphate BCG might be the best bet.  It sounds snarky but not intended that way.  I was an idiot who got all hopped up drinking the kool aid on the virtues of NIB.  Now I say, no thanks. But ultimately it's your money to spend. I'd rather have ammo or other add on's.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate the soft approach.  I'm not offended.  If anything, you and this thread are helping to make my point.  I suspect I may buy a non-phosphate BCG one day and would like to arm myself with some good info, but I rarely find in threads like this.

I'll step back and continue to watch the discussion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't tell if you're being serious.  Is there some scale that illustrates which NiB BCGs clean up more easily than other NiB BCGs?  Let's say I want the "smoothest = easiest to clean" NiB BCG.  Which one is it and/or how would I go about determining that?

Separately, doesn't NiB stain over time?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought a WMD BCG because it was available during the panic and it completed a build for me.  It's slick and I've not had any issues with it.  I would recommend WMD to someone if they're looking, specifically, for a NiB BCG.

With that said, my latest build will have a Spike's phosphate BCG in it.  I would not hesitate going with a quality phosphate BCG. I think the quality phosphate BCGs are the best value in cost vs performance, and they're super cheap right now.  PSA has a HPT/MPI BCG for $90.  That would be my buy if I needed one at the moment.  

I think BCM, Spike's, PSA, DD, LMT, Colt, and Rainier BCGs would do just fine.  I'm sure there are others, too.  

The good news is you have a lot of good brands/styles to choose from.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I can't tell if you're being serious.  Is there some scale that illustrates which NiB BCGs clean up more easily than other NiB BCGs?  Let's say I want the "smoothest = easiest to clean" NiB BCG.  Which one is it and/or how would I go about determining that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some do.  I have a WMD with about 700 on it that I have kept wet with the Spikes Spidey Lube.  I will yank it out and take a pic.  My other WMD still sits in a SBR upper waiting for a damn stamp so I can shoot a pic side by side for comparison
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WMB offers a polished carrier.

Yes it does stain over time. Sort of like how titanium alloy exhaust with "stain".
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top