Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2014 9:51:11 AM EDT
So I'm currently in the middle of my first "build". I put the world build in parentheses because I'm not sure if what I'm doing is what most people would consider a traditional build. The carbine I'm building is basically going to be all BCM....BCM lower, BCM BFH 16" barrel w/ Keymod rail, all BCM guts....you get the idea. So it's all mil-spec components. All I'm doing is piece-mealing it together to get a somewhat custom configuration that I haven't been able to find as a stock rifle. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to match the price point or maybe even go over that of a complete assembled rifle. And I'm fine with that. I didn't start this build with the goal of building the highest-quality rifle while spending as little money as possible....which seems to be what the traditional builds are about that I've seen.

I'm just curious what the forum thinks of this. Am I truly building an AR or just putting together a plain-jane BCM rifle one component at a time?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Builds start with a stripped upper and lower. Putting a complete upper on a complete lower is not considered a build. At least that how I see it. Doesn't really matter if you are getting the rifle you want.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
you are not building anything, you are assembling a lower to an upper......I would consider a build to be at the very least installing a lower parts kit in a stripped lower.  If you want to get technical, you could add the installation and torquing of a barrel, barrel nut to the upper, gas tube, gas block etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking I was doing after hearing some other guys talk about builds they were working on.

Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]
What if OP strips his lower and puts it back together?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Bingo!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What if OP strips his lower and puts it back together?
View Quote

Rebuild?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Well you are basically doing the same thing as Red Jacket...... so technically you need to have your FFL

Seriously though the word build gets thrown around a lot with AR's, really we are all just assembling parts, unless you machine your own lower.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I'm currently in the middle of my first "build". I put the world build in parentheses because I'm not sure if what I'm doing is what most people would consider a traditional build. The carbine I'm building is basically going to be all BCM....BCM lower, BCM BFH 16" barrel w/ Keymod rail, all BCM guts....you get the idea. So it's all mil-spec components. All I'm doing is piece-mealing it together to get a somewhat custom configuration that I haven't been able to find as a stock rifle. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to match the price point or maybe even go over that of a complete assembled rifle. And I'm fine with that. I didn't start this build with the goal of building the highest-quality rifle while spending as little money as possible....which seems to be what the traditional builds are about that I've seen.

I'm just curious what the forum thinks of this. Am I truly building an AR or just putting together a plain-jane BCM rifle one component at a time?
View Quote

You didn't put the word "build" in parentheses, you put it in quotations

Also, the term "mil-spec" is used too loosely here. 16" hammer forged barrel, keymod hand guard (with a low profile gas block), mid length (I'm guessing), and non select-fire lower. None of those are mil-spec, and nothing on it is built with the TDP, which is the only "true" mil-spec out there. What you're looking at, considering the brand, is a "better than" or equal to mil-spec rifle

And to get to your point, yes, I'd consider that a build. But I wouldn't get a "builder's club" shirt yet until you assemble one from parts.

I actually want to build something similar for my girlfriend but with (preferably, but not mandatory) a 14.5" lightweight barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone's interpretation of a build is different. What matters is what you think.

"A build begins with mining the Aluminum to forge into the receivers on your anvil, if you don't do that yourself, it's not a build"
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
OTH, per your definition, you get to disassemble and rebuild your rifle every time you clean it!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Everyone's interpretation of a build is different. What matters is what you think.

"A build begins with mining the Aluminum to forge into the receivers on your anvil, if you don't do that yourself, it's not a build"
View Quote

true...or fabrication
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Also, the term "mil-spec" is used too loosely here. 16" hammer forged barrel, keymod hand guard (with a low profile gas block), mid length (I'm guessing), and non select-fire lower. None of those are mil-spec, and nothing on it is built with the TDP, which is the only "true" mil-spec out there. What you're looking at, considering the brand, is a "better than" or equal to mil-spec rifle

And to get to your point, yes, I'd consider that a build. But I wouldn't get a "builder's club" shirt yet until you assemble one from parts.

I actually want to build something similar for my girlfriend but with (preferably, but not mandatory) a 14.5" lightweight barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, this will be my first and last build for sure. No Builder's Club shirts in my future. Just wanted to get the configuration I wanted.

And yeah I meant to say quotes lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you are not building anything, you are assembling a lower to an upper......I would consider a build to be at the very least installing a lower parts kit in a stripped lower.  If you want to get technical, you could add the installation and torquing of a barrel, barrel nut to the upper, gas tube, gas block etc.
View Quote

My definition is custom assembly from a pile of loose parts, although an LPK, barrel assembly, etc counts as one part.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally I consider what I do as assembly.  Plain and simple.   I have no skills other than being able to read instructions. usually poorly.     No machining involved.

Would never consider myself a gunsmith.   Assemblesmith maybe.

gd
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#15]

I'll say no

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
They start like this:

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They start like this:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=62124  
View Quote

Hope you have good ear plugs to go with that Sure Fire brake . I have one and dam that thing is loud.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hope you have good ear plugs to go with that Sure Fire brake . I have one and dam that thing is loud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They start like this:

Earplugs you say?

762 Mini by TacCoyote, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I can see it both ways for an AR...but you BUILD an AK.

I guess for me, I have to barrel the upper to consider it a build, otherwise, its an assembly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
We're all just playing with adult Legos I'm cool with calling it "building", as much as my son says he "builds" Legos
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We're all just playing with adult Legos I'm cool with calling it "building", as much as my son says he "builds" Legos
View Quote

Pretty much that,  unless you are machining or welding something, you have assembled it no matter how many parts you put together on your own.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WHAT?!?!?!

LOL...I am actually nearly deaf so....well...I hardly matters.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did someone say Taco Tuesday?

OP, did you pay excise tax?  No, you did not.  So you built a rifle.  You are, from a NFA thread, the maker.

ETA:  Oh, and build it w/o the stock first, and post pics in the pistol thread.  Then add the stock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortthumbhole/NgVer5Unglued.jpg

OP, did you pay excise tax?  No, you did not.  So you built a rifle.  You are, from a NFA thread, the maker.

ETA:  Oh, and build it w/o the stock first, and post pics in the pistol thread.  Then add the stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortthumbhole/NgVer5Unglued.jpg

Not really sure what you're saying.

Excise tax? NFA thread?

Uhm....wha?

I'm just buying complete lowers and uppers and putting them together. All of a sudden I get the feeling I'm breaking the law.

???
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  Not really sure what you're saying.

Excise tax? NFA thread?

Uhm....wha?

I'm just buying complete lowers and uppers and putting them together. All of a sudden I get the feeling I'm breaking the law.

???
View Quote

Relax.  Anyone who buys a complete rifle, shotgun, or pistol from a FFL is paying the Federal government (us) a firearms excise tax.  That is NOT charged on firearm parts or "others" (lower receivers).  You're not paying the excise tax, ergo, you're building a rifle.  In the NFA world, you are the "maker".  This just came up in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1617077_if_you_pay_the_tax_can_you_make_your_own_suppressor_.html

Don't forget to build it as a pistol first.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well you are basically doing the same thing as Red Jacket...... so technically you need to have your FFL

Seriously though the word build gets thrown around a lot with AR's, really we are all just assembling parts, unless you machine your own lower.
View Quote

Look up the definition of build

1) construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time.
synonyms:construct, erect, put up, assemble

At no stage of machining or finishing a  lower, are you "building" a lower.
Building is the process of assembling pre made parts into a finished product.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Not really sure what you're saying.

Excise tax? NFA thread?

Uhm....wha?

???

It doesn't matter if you build it into a rifle, then into a pistol, then back into a rifle.

ETA: All that matters is that your lower was never shipped from the factory as a rifle. If it shipped stripped or with a buffer tube on it, and it was sold as a receiver on the 4473, you are good to turn it into whatever you want, back and forth as many times as you want.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter if you build it into a rifle, then into a pistol, then back into a rifle.

ETA: All that matters is that your lower was never shipped from the factory as a rifle. If it shipped stripped or with a buffer tube on it, and it was sold as a receiver on the 4473, you are good to turn it into whatever you want, back and forth as many times as you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Don't forget to build it as a pistol first.

Er...you got a citation for that?  This is coming from the Thompson Center case before the Supreme Court, and the Supremes ruled in our favor.  T/C shipped the Contender as a pistol, and they wanted to be able to sell carbine kits w/ a 16" bbl.  So the case resolved in our favor on the basis that the gun started out as a pistol.  So I'm finding your statement here a bit surprising.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Er...you got a citation for that?  This is coming from the Thompson Center case before the Supreme Court, and the Supremes ruled in our favor.  T/C shipped the Contender as a pistol, and they wanted to be able to sell carbine kits w/ a 16" bbl.  So the case resolved in our favor on the basis that the gun started out as a pistol.  So I'm finding your statement here a bit surprising.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Don't forget to build it as a pistol first.

ATF Rule 2011-4

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2011/08/atf-rulingrifles-configured-fr.html

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later un-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATF Rule 2011-4

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later un-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle. Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.

The red bit is why I think if OP assembles his AR as a rifle FIRST, he can never build that lower receiver as a pistol.  Hence my advice to OP to build it as a pistol first, which is simply a matter of taking pictures before he adds the buttstock as a final step.  I think you're giving advice to people that may lead them to commit a federal felony.  OP did not buy an AR rifle/pistol kit.  If he had, perhaps you'd be correct.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#31]
You completely glossed over what I said earlier. As long as the lower was not shipped as a complete rifle, and sold as a rifle on the 4473, you can do whatever you want with it.

ETA: And OP is going to buy a BCM lower. Unless he buys a BCM Jack carbine, it will be sold and shipped and marked on the 4473 as a receiver. He is good to go.

Just re read my original two quotes again. It is all spelled out there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#32]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You completely glossed over what I said earlier. As long as the lower was not shipped as a complete rifle, and sold as a rifle on the 4473, you can do whatever you want with it.

ETA: And OP is going to buy a BCM lower. Unless he buys a BCM Jack carbine, it will be sold and shipped and marked on the 4473 as a receiver. He is good to go.

View Quote

I think we have to agree to disagree.  If the purchaser of a virgin stripped lower builds a rifle from that receiver first, I think it must always remain a rifle or shotgun.  If the virgin lower is built as a pistol first, it can be converted to a rifle, and then back to a pistol.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think we have to agree to disagree.  If the purchaser of a virgin stripped lower builds a rifle from that receiver first, I think it must always remain a rifle or shotgun.  If the virgin lower is built as a pistol first, it can be converted to a rifle, and then back to a pistol.  YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See bold. It isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made[/span] when parts in a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).

I think it's rather difficult if it doesn't all come from a single manufacturer in a kit.  Not saying it's a good law, but that's the way I read it.  I've never come across your interpretation of the NFA & BATFE rulings before.  If you're correct, that would be wonderful.  I don't see how you can read the ruling that way if the virgin lower doesn't come as part of a kit, the way a T/C Contender Pistol/Carbine kit does.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think it's rather difficult if it doesn't all come from a single manufacturer in a kit.  Not saying it's a good law, but that's the way I read it.  I've never come across your interpretation of the NFA & BATFE rulings before.  If you're correct, that would be wonderful.  I don't see how you can read the ruling that way if the virgin lower doesn't come as part of a kit, the way a T/C Contender Pistol/Carbine kit does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Held further, a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made[/span] when[span style='font-weight: bold;'] parts in a kit[/span] that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length).

It isn't me who is just saying it. Look at the other threads after the Nov 2011 ruling.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#37]
All ARs are assembled as pistols first.  It is impossible to put on the stock without first putting on the buffer tube.  It is still a pistol with a rifle/carbine buffer tube as long as the stock is not installed.  There is the argument of "constructive intent", but I've never seen a letter from the BATF saying that a standard (non-pistol) receiver extension could not be used on a pistol.  Feel free to correct me on this though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All ARs are assembled as pistols first.  It is impossible to put on the stock without first putting on the buffer tube.  It is still a pistol with a rifle/carbine buffer tube as long as the stock is not installed.  There is the argument of "constructive intent", but I've never seen a letter from the BATF saying that a standard (non-pistol) receiver extension could not be used on a pistol.  Feel free to correct me on this though.
View Quote

Not all ARs are assembled initially as pistols.  If the stock is already mounted on the buffer tube before a 16"+ upper is installed, then it would be assembled initially as a rifle.  Until a functioning upper is installed, the lower is an "other" regardless if it has a stock attached or not.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Earplugs you say?

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/mDGKKi" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/13553797355_0a5167b4bf_b.jpg</a>762 Mini by TacCoyote, on Flickr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They start like this:

Earplugs you say?

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/mDGKKi" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/13553797355_0a5167b4bf_b.jpg</a>762 Mini by TacCoyote, on Flickr

Eight more months for me. (And nice watermark)
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not all ARs are assembled initially as pistols.  If the stock is already mounted on the buffer tube before a 16"+ upper is installed, then it would be assembled initially as a rifle.  Until a functioning upper is installed, the lower is an "other" regardless if it has a stock attached or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm saying put the upper on before the stock.  It only takes about 3 seconds.  But really I'm being pedantic; I don't think anyone cares as long as you don't have a <16" barrel on a lower with a stock (or an sbr, of course).
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm saying put the upper on before the stock.  It only takes about 3 seconds.  But really I'm being pedantic; I don't think anyone cares as long as you don't have a <16" barrel on a lower with a stock (or an sbr, of course).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Not all ARs are assembled initially as pistols.  If the stock is already mounted on the buffer tube before a 16"+ upper is installed, then it would be assembled initially as a rifle.  Until a functioning upper is installed, the lower is an "other" regardless if it has a stock attached or not.

Oh, absolutely put the upper on before the stock.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top