Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2014 5:29:37 PM EDT
I can get a great deal on either a Daniel Defense upper or complete rifle
is it worth getting the complete rifle or should i just get the upper and build my own lower?
i can also get an M&P 15 at a great price so i'm looking for some input/opinions
i understand DD uses quality parts and has great QC but is worth the extra $?
any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Edit: and what are the major differences between models if you don't mind
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the whole rifle...if you decide to sell it in the future you'll get more money out if it that's for sure.  

Main difference in DD Models are the barrel and rail lengths and now they have the mil spec cerakote color (aka patriot brown).  The V7 is slighty different and the V1 has the FSP with the cutout.

I owned a DD M4A1 (loved it but got bored with trying to keep up with the clone madness) and sold it and just recently purchased the V9.  

The V9 is one sexy beast!!

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My vote would be for a complete rifle (if the price is right for you). I bought a V5 for my first AR and am very happy with my purchase. Very accurate rifle for the money and the DD rails are some of the best on the market. Either way you go, DD products are up there with the best and their customer service is top notch should you ever need it.
Each variant has different setups with rails, sights, barrel lengths, etc. If you go to their website you can see the comparisons all together.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the complete DD rifle.  You will not regret it.  I just got a v9 also, but mine is the 18 inch S2W barrel.

And all I can say so far is wow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Primary arms has $400 off complete DD rifles right now. Sale might end tonight though. Code DD400.

PA DD
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The new grip and stock on the DD rifles is fugly as shit, IMO. Get the upper.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a ddv5. Absolutely love it. But I would buy the dd upper and a different lower. The reason is I changed the stock, grip and trigger. Could save you money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought an m&p 15 magpul moe edition and liked it at first nothing wrong with it but later decided I wanted to add a Daniel Defense omega 12" rail... For the difference in cost of adding that rail with lowprofile gas block and removing tthe front post sight it would equal the 1350 it cost me to order the Daniel Defense M4 V5 which I absolutely LOVE. There's  a huge difference in really liking something and loving it, the V5 is everything I wanted and more. Not knocking the Smith and Wesson at all its just the V5 is an overall nicer rifle.

So I ended up selling the Smith and buying the V5 when I could have just spent the extra and got that to behind with . so my vote would definitely be for the Daniel Defense complete rifle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go for a complete DD rifle.

Then again, I'll admit that I've never been a fan of frankenguns.

I own one, and I just had to have it cerakoted to hide its bastardness.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There's not a complete factory rifle made that I don't instantly swap the grip and stock on. I know that's the case for many.

I guess KAC rifles do ship with my preferred SOPMOD stocks, and BCM rifles ship with my preferred BCM grips, but even in those cases, I still need to swap one of the two.

A factory grip and stock shouldn't deter anyone from a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd get the whole rifle...if you decide to sell it in the future you'll get more money out if it that's for sure.  

Main difference in DD Models are the barrel and rail lengths and now they have the mil spec cerakote color (aka patriot brown).  The V7 is slighty different and the V1 has the FSP with the cutout.

I owned a DD M4A1 (loved it but got bored with trying to keep up with the clone madness) and sold it and just recently purchased the V9.  

The V9 is one sexy beast!!

<a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/user/dirtyndiesel/media/3042_1__zps7c85502d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/dirtyndiesel/3042_1__zps7c85502d.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/user/dirtyndiesel/media/3042_2__zps98892a1c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/dirtyndiesel/3042_2__zps98892a1c.jpg</a>
View Quote

That new stock is hideous IMO....and the vert grip does nothing for me!  another vote for upper only!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the upper.  But mostly because I end up swapping out so many of the lower parts anyways
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

While not attractove on the eye, they are comfortable on cheek and hand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]
DD complete rifle.  Especially if it"s in the configuration you want to end up with in the first place!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks everyone for your responses, i think i'm going to get a complete rifle.
 but first how does a standard A2 grip fit your hand? cus i have long fingers
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thanks everyone for your responses, i think i'm going to get a complete rifle.
 but first how does a standard A2 grip fit your hand? cus i have long fingers
View Quote

I wouldn't let the grip that comes with the rifle influence your purchasing it.  Grips are a super easy $30ish change.  Personally I am not a big fan of the A2 grips.  I have long fingers also and my go to is the Magpul Moe+ grips.  But there are so many different options that it truly is different for every person
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top