Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2014 4:52:48 AM EDT
Hello all!  New to the site and the AR platform.  After some shopping around I picked up a Colt 6940.  Planned to keep it stock for a while and then the bug bit me.  lol  So far I have upgraded my gun with a Eotech EXPS2-0, Eotech G33 Magnifier, Tango down Vertical Foregrip, and have a Geisselle SSA-E trigger on the way.  I am interested in installing a SJC titan brake/comp. I have tried with multiple failed attempts to get the flash hider off.  I am no Gunsmith, but used to work in a machine shop.  I soaked it in penetrating oil, heated it with a propane torch, but nothing seems to work.  I fabricated a barrel vise block out of some wood, but I just cant seem to get enough torque on this thing without it slipping.  I have searched around the site and have tried every trick and method listed.  I am completely stumped...  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I look forward to being a member of this site.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Contribute something or don't post, the junior detective forum is GD - Eric802
It was relevant....I was telling him that if it came from NY then most likely it was pinned and welded...Especially if the stock was pinned...Sorry that you don't live in this communistic state but we do and certain things are done to rifles to make them compliant.....also if he was unaware of the SAFE act he would be committing a felony...if it was in NY PRIOR to the safe act then his hider which would not be a hider but would be a BRAKE is most likely pinned and welded....Otherwise if he is law enforcement and bought the rifle from one of NY's LGS then most likely it was not pinned and welded....So contrary to you thinking my post wasnt relevant it was...maybe not to 49 other states but it was to a fellow NYorker
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I messaged you in regards
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I messaged you, but I'm not sure if it went through.  Its the Law enforcement model. Used for active Law enforcement and yes its registered.  The stock is collapsable and the hider does not appear to be welded or pinned.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
reaction rod, vice and a wrench. oh yhea balls help in removing difficult hardware
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Soak in kroil overnight
19mm open end wrench
Muscles

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Im just afraid to put any more torque on this thing.  I have removed muzzle devices before, but have never came across on that was on this tight.  Anyone know if Colt uses Rocksett from the factory?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably a pinned and welded flash hider...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im just afraid to put any more torque on this thing.  I have removed muzzle devices before, but have never came across on that was on this tight.  Anyone know if Colt uses Rocksett from the factory?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not 100% positive, but I don't think so. It should spin right off. Either way, rockset breaks at like ~30lb with no heat. red loctite needs heat to remove.
Make sure it's not slipping in your vice.

Quoted:

Or that. some places do a really good job of covering it up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cant see any evidence of a pin being in there.  Isn't there usually a dimple where the pin and weld are?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not if it's quality work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cant see any evidence of a pin being in there.  Isn't there usually a dimple where the pin and weld are?

This. Call Colt CS and have them look it up using the S/N. I'd like to imagine thats something they would have documented.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. Call Colt CS and have them look it up using the S/N. I'd like to imagine thats something they would have documented.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6940 comes with a 16" barrell. Wouldn't be pinned from the factory.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I messaged you in regards
View Quote

Thanks Steve....I never got it....I would call Colt as well with S/N and did you buy it new? Or second hand? From NY? No reason it would be pinned and welded anywhere else but NY unless he bought it new from LGS for LE then it would not be as far as other Colt 6940's
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heat works on Rocksett.  It still wasn't easy.

If you really want it off, go to the build it section.  There are some photos of how to remove a pinned FH.  They are not pretty, but effective.  Even if it turns out it isn't pinned, these methods still work.  

Beyond that, sometimes it is better to drop back 10 and punt.  Send it to Adco and they will remove it with no damage.  I broke two barrel wrenches trying to remove a fiberglass floating handguard on an Armalite.  Adco removed it with no damage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Bushmaster has a 16" barrel and the flash hider "was" pinned  and welded (14.5" when removed) and,  no you could not see where it was pinned unless you used a magnifying glass
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My Bushmaster has a 16" barrel and the flash hider "was" pinned  and welded (14.5" when removed) and,  no you could not see where it was pinned unless you used a magnifying glass
View Quote

Your bushy doesn't have a 16" barrel then.

The 6920/6940 is 16.1 without a muzzle device.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your bushy doesn't have a 16" barrel then.

Acording to the ATF it did

I'd just check with colt to be sure....
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the quick responses. The gun was purchased new in NY, but it is a law enforcement model. I had it out a few times at the range. Lots of fun to shoot. Im just itching to install this SJC titan comp/brake. Im going to soak it in oil (kroil) if I can manage to find it locally. The gun only has about 1,000 rounds through it. Im surprised this thing is stuck on there like this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the quick responses. The gun was purchased new in NY, but it is a law enforcement model. I had it out a few times at the range. Lots of fun to shoot. Im just itching to install this SJC titan comp/brake. Im going to soak it in oil (kroil) if I can manage to find it locally. The gun only has about 1,000 rounds through it. Im surprised this thing is stuck on there like this.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't get too wrapped around the "Law Enforcement" roll mark, it doesn't mean your rifle has features not normally available on civilian rifles.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Send it to Adco along with your brake. Even if they have to mill it off it's only $40 and they will install your brake at no charge.  

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Remove%20Muzzle%20Device
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I sent you a message but I would also send it to adco
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Send it to Adco along with your brake. Even if they have to mill it off it's only $40 and they will install your brake at no charge.  

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Remove%20Muzzle%20Device
View Quote

That sounds like the way to go.  Thank you everyone for all the help.  It's much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Just got off the phone with Colt.  They told me the 6940 Flash hider/compensator from the factory is threaded on and not pinned.  I may ive it one more shot to take it off at the end of the day.  If I cant get it off its going to adco.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with Colt.  They told me the 6940 Flash hider/compensator from the factory is threaded on and not pinned.  I may ive it one more shot to take it off at the end of the day.  If I cant get it off its going to adco.
View Quote

Let it soak in penetrating oil overnight. Kroil is the best, whatever you can get should do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#26]
My last 6920 was a royal pain in the ass to remove.   As others have stated, soak it in Kroil.   I use a clamshell block,  put it in the vise, and used a bfh.  Took a couple shots at it,  and it came off.   No sheared pin.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Soaked it overnight in penetrating oil, heated it up again and still no luck.  I really don't want to put any more pressure on it. Installing my new trigger tomorrow, going shooting Monday, then packaging the upper as soon as I get home and shipping it off to Adco
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Strange.  I had no problem at all getting mine off of my 6940.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Strange.  I had no problem at all getting mine off of my 6940.
View Quote

Yes, really strange.  I have removed a handful of them before.  This one is just stuck on there. Colt says there is no chance its pinned or welded.  Would rather just play it safe and send it to Adco for the $40.  Just wish I was able to install my new brake before going shooting this week
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
reaction rod helps in removing difficult hardware
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#31]
An sjc Titan is just about the last break id put on a 6940.  There are waaaaay better choices.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
An sjc Titan is just about the last break id put on a 6940.  There are waaaaay better choices.
View Quote

What would you go with? If I don't like it my friend said he would buy it off me ;)

After lingering around for a few hrs online today I'm all paranoid I could have bent the barrel trying to get this thing off.  I know it's highly unlikely because I had the barrel clamped evenly with wood jaws in a vice along the entire length.  It's amazing when you fail at something what it can do to your mind. LOL  I just want to go shoot this thing already
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Battlecomp 1.0 would be high on my list for the 6940.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Battlecomp 1.0 would be high on my list for the 6940.
View Quote

+1 Or one of the Sure Fire 556 brakes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#35]
A Titan is a high efficient 3 gunners break. It would be like racing slicks on a jeep.

I'd pick a more tactical comp. battlecomp, the bcm comp, spikes comp, griffin armament, the mams and the "mams types"
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A Titan is a high efficient 3 gunners break. It would be like racing slicks on a jeep.

I'd pick a more tactical comp. battlecomp, the bcm comp, spikes comp, griffin armament, the mams and the "mams types"
View Quote

Maybe I'll sell it and just use the money for more ammo lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've re-barreled Colts. Yes, their flash hiders are on tight from every Colt I've done; but I don't know about the Rocksett, probably not. However, your from NY and that adds another element to the equation. I'm not familiar with the Regime's regulations up there and what they do to a flash hider, if anything out of the ordinary. Get a good Barrel Vice, along with a sturdy bench vice, a 3/4 inch Craftsmen or better wrench, and put some torque to it. The flash hider's don't turn off if it's not pinned and welded. I'm assuming you know what a pin and weld job looks like if it's pinned. PB blaster is a nice penetrating application to get stuck things off. I've seen rifles fired so much that there was a lot of crud and carbon build up on them making a FH removal a job for Hercules himself... How many round thru the rifle, 5,000 or more???
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've re-barreled Colts. Yes, their flash hiders are on tight from every Colt I've done; but I don't know about the Rocksett, probably not. However, your from NY and that adds another element to the equation. I'm not familiar with the Regime's regulations up there and what they do to a flash hider, if anything out of the ordinary. Get a good Barrel Vice, along with a sturdy bench vice, a 3/4 inch Craftsmen or better wrench, and put some torque to it. The flash hider's don't turn off if it's not pinned and welded. I'm assuming you know what a pin and weld job looks like if it's pinned. PB blaster is a nice penetrating application to get stuck things off. I've seen rifles fired so much that there was a lot of crud and carbon build up on them making a FH removal a job for Hercules himself... How many round thru the rifle, 5,000 or more???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It only has about 1,000 rounds in it. If it is pinned and welded they did one hell of a job.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a 6940 as well and my armorer removed the A2 and put on a Battle Comp. The 6940 is not your ordinary AR and 99% (maybe a small exaggeration) of the people on ARF have never seen one.

Due to the extremely expensive mono upper on a 6940, unless you are obsessed with DIY, I would not risk damaging the upper. I'd remove the barrel, which requires a special Colt tool. This is a job for a professional (or you'd have gotten it off by now) and I'd first check with Colt to see if they can do it since they put it on; if they break anything, you get a free new one. What's a new 6940 upper cost now? Well over $1K I suspect. Why risk it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a 6940 as well and my armorer removed the A2 and put on a Battle Comp. The 6940 is not your ordinary AR and 99% (maybe a small exaggeration) of the people on ARF have never seen one.

Due to the extremely expensive mono upper on a 6940, unless you are obsessed with DIY, I would not risk damaging the upper. I'd remove the barrel, which requires a special Colt tool. This is a job for a professional (or you'd have gotten it off by now) and I'd first check with Colt to see if they can do it since they put it on; if they break anything, you get a free new one. What's a new 6940 upper cost now? Well over $1K I suspect. Why risk it?
View Quote

Yeah thats why Im deciding to just send it out to get it done.  I may ditch the titan.  How do you like the battlecomp?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I like PWS FSC 556 brakes for my AR's and SCAR
I also like battlecomp 1.0

Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) FSC556 AR15/M4 Series Rifles
This FSC556 Tactical Compensator has superior recoil and muzzle climb compensation combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight. Very effective recoil reduction and control of muzzle climb. Cuts recoil by 50% and reduces muzzle climb to non-detectable levels. Easily one of the most effective and popular 5.56 compensators on the market. This device has been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE. Yet, it does produce a much lower flash signature than most other compensator designs. A great all around design for tactical applications. Designed for AR15/M4 style rifles and carbines chambered for 5.56mm/.223cal. and has a large expansion chamber and a .290 inch exit hole. This device was also designed to accommodate the Gemtech HALO sound suppressor. Installation instructions are provided with device. Recommended for self defense, tactical and competition applications. One of the best and most versatile AR muzzle brakes available. These parts are 100% American made with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Made from high quality steels with a matte parkerized finish. This unit is 2.10" in length, .865" (22mm)in diameter and is threaded 1/2x28 RH which is standard for AR15/M4 series rifles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top