BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2014 6:59:45 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has seen the 2014 Socom's with the KAC rails. Also just wondering what the best rate going is right now. Lastly just wondering with the people that got the Socom with the Troy rail what do you think of it?

Thanks J
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought Colt switched from KAC to Troy rails
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Colt equipping the newer SOCOMs with the KAC RAS again? I just bought the newest factory SOCOM & it came from the factory with a Troy quad rail.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just watched the guy at Walmart put one in the display case from a new shipment, it had a Troy
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
New SOCOMS have Troy rails.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry everyone I mean Troy rails.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Also just wondering how the Socom compares to the DD MK18?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Two totally different animals. The DD Mk18 is predominately for sale as a complete upper for SBRs or pistols. The SOCOM is a complete system with a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

In terms of what?

The DD is 10.3" long, has a FF rail, and no FSB.

Apples and oranges.  Are you looking for a SBR?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Basically my dealer has both and I can choose either for the same price but the LE6920 Socom comes with the Troy!

This is my first AR and I will be just using it for messing around nothing for sure yet.

If you where in my shoes what would you get?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Basically my dealer has both and I can choose either for the same price but the LE6920 Socom comes with the Troy!

This is my first AR and I will be just using it for messing around nothing for sure yet.

If you where in my shoes what would you get?
View Quote

Well just remember that if you get the DD Mk18 you're in for a 9-12 month wait before it can go home with you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I am lucky were I live don't need to wait for either so now it is about what would be a better rifle and a better buy!

Hoping someone can help me choose!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am lucky were I live don't need to wait for either so now it is about what would be a better rifle and a better buy!

Hoping someone can help me choose!
View Quote

Where do you live that the NFA does not apply?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The great white north!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The great white north!
View Quote

Brother, if you are up here where I am (or anywhere in America), I can assure you that you need a Federal Tax Stamp for the MK18, or you must put in on a pistol lower.  Anything below 16" on a rifle carries this regulation.

Back to your question; for a first AR, I would go with the Colt you mentioned between those 2.  SBRs are cool, but not all that practical.  Tons of fun to be had with a 16" Colt.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Brother, if you are up here where I am (or anywhere in America), I can assure you that you need a Federal Tax Stamp for the MK18, or you must put in on a pistol lower.  Anything below 16" on a rifle carries this regulation.

Back to your question; for a first AR, I would go with the Colt you mentioned between those 2.  SBRs are cool, but not all that practical.  Tons of fun to be had with a 16" Colt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The great white north!

The great white north is not IN what you are considering America. It's in North America...and not subject to US law... to be fair, he DOES have a US flag in his member status or whatever, I just suspect he did not select the correct location when he signed up, or he moved...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Clarity on that and a profile location other than USA would ensure that those assumptions were not made.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Clarity on that and a profile location other than USA would ensure that those assumptions were not made.
View Quote

indeed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry guys should have been more specific I am in Canada.

Any other opinions on the two options I have??

Thanks J
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The great white north is not IN what you are considering America. It's in North America...and not subject to US law... to be fair, he DOES have a US flag in his member status or whatever, I just suspect he did not select the correct location when he signed up, or he moved...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The great white north!

Hence my post stating IF, etc but thank you for the education, nonetheless.  When I speak of the USA (which was in his title) I will clearly state it in the future, and not use ambiguous terms such as "America"

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
bought one in November(2013 config.) I love it. the rails on mine are tight and don't move at all. don't regret buying or plan on changing rails(my first ar) . I paid 1250 before tax
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Does the Colt M4A1 LE6920 SOCOM have a Reg. carbine barrel or a SOCOM barrel ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does the Colt M4A1 LE6920 SOCOM have a Reg. carbine barrel or a SOCOM barrel ?
View Quote

As previously stated, the SOCOM 6920 has a quasi SOCOM barrel being 16" & no 203 flats like the 14.5 mil counterpart.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't get the SOCOM for what you want to use it for - you will be paying more for stuff you may not need or want. Get the LE6920 M4 2013 (~$960), get rid of the MP sight, put on a carry handle, replace plastic hanguards with KAC and a 14.5" barrel  and Voila!  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I think it's "Voila", but what do I know
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:13:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think it's "Voila", but what do I know
View Quote

ooops - going for the edit
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Hi Everyone,

This is the same as the other Socom thread just updating this one as I opened this one and figured I would continue updating it.
-----------------------

After 5 months of importing i finally got my Socom. It ended up coming with the Troy rail but I got a discount on it so going to sell the Troy and purchase the KAC as explained here. It came with a metal mag, KAC rail protectors, lock, manual and a Colt nice bag.

I was just wondering if this is Colt's usual quality lately with the small dings and blemishes. I know it will get dinged up but just wondering if this is normally. Lastly the light colouring on the frame is that just oil that will go away? Don't have time to try as I am running around today but figured you guys would know.

Anything I should know before taking it out? Also what is a good video on cleaning an AR never had one before!

If you click on the photo's it will bring you to another photo with the area I am trying to show in the picture. For some reason the circling does not show up on the previews.

Thanks J
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hi Everyone,

This is the same as the other Socom thread just updating this one as I opened this one and figured I would continue updating it.
-----------------------

After 5 months of importing i finally got my Socom. It ended up coming with the Troy rail but I got a discount on it so going to sell the Troy and purchase the KAC as explained here. It came with a metal mag, KAC rail protectors, lock, manual and a Colt nice bag.

I was just wondering if this is Colt's usual quality lately with the small dings and blemishes. I know it will get dinged up but just wondering if this is normally. Lastly the light colouring on the frame is that just oil that will go away? Don't have time to try as I am running around today but figured you guys would know.

Anything I should know before taking it out? Also what is a good video on cleaning an AR never had one before!

If you click on the photo's it will bring you to another photo with the area I am trying to show in the picture. For some reason the circling does not show up on the previews.
<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/photo2-1_zpsef6dbc61.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/photo2-1_zpsef6dbc61.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/photo1-1_zps7d0c9f17.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/photo1-1_zps7d0c9f17.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/photo4_zps84d9eb91.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/photo4_zps84d9eb91.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/photo3_zpsf74cfa70.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/photo3_zpsf74cfa70.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/photo2_zpse0401315.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/photo2_zpse0401315.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/photo1_zps14011dc0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/photo1_zps14011dc0.jpg</a>

Thanks J
View Quote

Yes, those dings and scratches are normal for some Colts. I can't say all cause the 2012 6920 model I have was just as nice as any Noveske own.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks it's not bad I guess I am picky. The mag just seemed really scuffed I know it is a mag but do they just have hundreds thrown in a bin?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
It means the mag has been tested for fit. It's going to get scratched with just one use.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Dont sweat the mag.  That mag well however.. id be pissed.  My SOCOM was flawless.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#31]
How about the Socom itself do you think it's normal. I am assuming I being to particular?

Thanks J
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I would not even think about those scratches on the mag!

For everything else: there you go
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Everyone. Will give it a good cleaning tomorrow and see if things improve around the mag well etc... At this point I plan on using it for courses and lots of shooting. These will be the first of many. I am just use to HK quality/perfection strange to see imperfections but I was not surprised as I have read this from others on this forum.

Thanks J
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 4:00:58 AM EDT
[#34]
It looks like there is a shape cut out on the mag well.  Or is that just some sort of scratch?
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I think I know what happened. When I opened it up the bag was already opened and the rifle had a bolt stop orange safety thing inside. I am assuming this was a display model and got scratched from stupid people putting in and out the mag. The mag well has some scratches on it. I emailed them saying WTF considering I ordered it and it should have been new.

They are looking for a new one now but in the end I think they will just refund me some money. I will give it a good clean tonight and see if it comes out.

Thoughts??
Thanks J
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sorry guys should have been more specific I am in Canada.

Any other opinions on the two options I have??

Thanks J
View Quote

You can just buy and SBR in Canada with no paper work or tax stamp needed?

Also, Colt will tell you that it is a rifle. They will say take it out and shoot it. I've had a budy complain about finish and that is what he was told basically. Keep in mind someone, or multiple people. assembles all those parts to make it a complete rifle. I personally haven't put together a lower with taking some of the paint off the trigger guard pin or having to use the black marker to touch something up a little bit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Ya in Canada if you have a restricted license and are a member at a club you can own a AR in Canada.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 3:31:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think I know what happened. When I opened it up the bag was already opened and the rifle had a bolt stop orange safety thing inside. I am assuming this was a display model and got scratched from stupid people putting in and out the mag. The mag well has some scratches on it. I emailed them saying WTF considering I ordered it and it should have been new.

They are looking for a new one now but in the end I think they will just refund me some money. I will give it a good clean tonight and see if it comes out.

Thoughts??
Thanks J
View Quote

When I bought my 6721 I broke the tape on the box and was the first one to pull the rifle out of the bag, and it had all kinds of dings and scratches.  That is just the way Colt does things, but they seem to have gotten better since I bought that rifle in 2009.  I have since bought three more Colts and they have all been flawless in finish.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Hi Everyone,

Well I ended up sending it back and they are going to send me a new one as I think this was the display model. He opened sent me a pick and mailed it off. Just wondering if this is how yours came as well.

Also in the end for someone new to AR would you swap the rail out for the KAC right away?? I am mounting a light and forgrip and this is my first AR. I hear some terrible things about the Troy rail and then I hear some ok things about them.

Thanks J
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Well my 2nd Socom came in and unlike my first socom has only a few dings etc... I love this AR it is beautiful can't wait to take it out. Anyone else have one??

--Questions--
1) Do you have any good cleaning videos or guides??
2) How is the Troy rail
3) I am huge like 6'4", 300pds built like a linebacker. When I have the stock fully extended it looks like a toy on me. I am mounting a light + magpul afg2 just wondering how I should mount them.
4) Are the targets set to 100yard by default?? If so does anyone have a chart of how the billet will react on target from 10y and 50y

Thanks T
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hi Everyone,

Well I ended up sending it back and they are going to send me a new one as I think this was the display model. He opened sent me a pick and mailed it off. Just wondering if this is how yours came as well.

Also in the end for someone new to AR would you swap the rail out for the KAC right away?? I am mounting a light and forgrip and this is my first AR. I hear some terrible things about the Troy rail and then I hear some ok things about them.

<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/imagejpg1_zps64d358ee.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/imagejpg1_zps64d358ee.jpg</a>

Thanks J
View Quote

Damn that rail looks purple as hell in that pic.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#42]
In the end it is just the photo. I am however disappointed in the fit and finish. I have all H&K firearms and there is definitly no comparison in the fit and finish.

I am hoping the the internals of the LE6920 Socom doesn't disapoint.

Thanks J
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In the end it is just the photo. I am however disappointed in the fit and finish. I have all H&K firearms and there is definitly no comparison in the fit and finish.

I am hoping the the internals of the LE6920 Socom doesn't disapoint.

Thanks J
View Quote

Good deal on the rail, it looked way purple.  

Colt rifles are, in my opinion the best there are for what they do.  I trust my life to them, as well as numerous others at work.  We never have "common" issues like other brands lead you to believe are common.  They run and run.  

Not being a dick but if you want looks over everything else, colt isn't where it's at.  If you want a gun that runs stick with colt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well my 2nd Socom came in and unlike my first socom has only a few dings etc... I love this AR it is beautiful can't wait to take it out. Anyone else have one??

--Questions--
1) Do you have any good cleaning videos or guides??
2) How is the Troy rail
3) I am huge like 6'4", 300pds built like a linebacker. When I have the stock fully extended it looks like a toy on me. I am mounting a light + magpul afg2 just wondering how I should mount them.
4) Are the targets set to 100yard by default?? If so does anyone have a chart of how the billet will react on target from 10y and 50y

Thanks T
View Quote

1. Look on youtube, there's a ton if info.  I pretty much break the BCG down and soak the parts in odorless mineral spirits, run a snake through the barrel, clean the lower with hoppes and carb cleaner, remove the BCG and scrub it with hoppes, lube with Mobil 1 5W-30, and back in service.   Couple times a year I run solvent down the barrel and snake it.  
2. Dunno, I use magpul and kac
3. Not sure what you mean about how.  I run my lights on the right so my left eye has a full field of view, I don't use VG or the magpul AFG
4. We run a 50/200 zero on our rifles.   Zero at 50 and it'll be on at 200. Everything between youll need to figure out where to hold for precise shots.  You'll be fine on man sized targets.  Closer in you'll need to aim a little higher to compensate.  A lot of it is figuring out where your holds are.   I run my eotechs at 25 yard zeros.  Always have due to the distances I encounter at work being in the lower distances so I want it more precise and point of aim and point of impact.   It's a quirk of mine but it's personal preference how you want to zero.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks that is what I figured. I am being picky now but in a few weeks when I use it, it won't bother me anymore.  

This is the only thing I noticed that annoyed me. As you can see it looks like the guy do the finishing on this side did not fully buff out the cnc machine marks. Luckily it is not on the roll mark side.

In the end as you stated it is not something you baby it is a tool and as a tool works very well. In the end I can live with this if it works well. Going to take it to the range this weekend can't wait.

Thanks J
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Oh it'll work well man, best rifle out there and you'll be happy.  

Hopefully I didn't come off rude, that wasn't the intent.  Too many people buy pretty rifles for high dollar.  Don't get me wrong noveske, DD, Larue and such are all great rifles but you pay for all that fluff and buff.  I have a few from the above categories also but Colts are my go to gun.   Colts are made to work, and they check for massive issues but little finish stuff they don't fail a rifle on.   If you use that gun it's gonna get dings and dents.  If I think about it later I'll grab a pic of one of my favorite guns in the safe, carried it for a while.

Wear just means you actually use that gun.  It's like a badge of honor compared to safe queens  

Quoted:
Thanks that is what I figured. I am being picky now but in a few weeks when I use it, it won't bother me anymore.  

This is the only thing I noticed that annoyed me. As you can see it looks like the guy do the finishing on this side did not fully buff out the cnc machine marks. Luckily it is not on the roll mark side.

In the end as you stated it is not something you baby it is a tool and as a tool works very well. In the end I can live with this if it works well. Going to take it to the range this weekend can't wait.

<a href="http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/tpirovol/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6653454f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p755/tpirovol/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6653454f.jpg</a>

Thanks J
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#47]
No worries buddy I don't take offense to many things and definitely not the comments you made. For me it is a hobby for you it seems to be the thing that keeps you alive. In the end #1 is how well it works and how reliable it is, #2 is function and #3 is looks.

Thanks for the reply and would love to see the pics!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#48]
This is my first AR, still shoot it a lot and carried it at work for quite a while.  Shoots nice and tight groups, rifle is a work horse.  The marks are just character.  They are down to metal in places and the others are basically burnished into the phosphate coating

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#49]
And here is a new one I just picked up.  Couple small burnished marks in the finish in there mag well and upper.  Ain't nothing, a couple classes and I'll have it dicked up worse shooting barricades and on the ground.  The only weird thing is that orange crap on the trigger guard, have no idea where it came from.  I cut the factory seal tape on this rifle's box so it had to be something picked up at the factory, just have no idea what it is.  Maybe a chick in the assembly line gave it a lipstick kiss on its way to its new home

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 5:03:54 AM EDT
[#50]
I will never understand how the Colt crowd can call the condition these rifles arrive in acceptable. Plenty of companies out there who ship you a gun with NO blemishes.

If given the option of a DD MK18 or a Colt for the same price with no tax stamp issue, the DD would have been the winner hands down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top