Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2014 7:01:05 PM EDT
I know this has been out for a year. Seems very innovative. Anyone have experience with one yet?
MGI Hydra Multi Caliber Rifle
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've not seen that before. Looks pretty damn neat.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It's interesting but I don't want one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
An AR15 in 762x39 using standard AK mags is kinda neat. But the multi caliber is kinda useless imo. What good is multi caliber if you have to re zero in your sights each time. At least with a complete upper change, your sight can stay zeroed.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I would stay away from MGI. They are a local company and from what I gather are pretty much defunct. They owe a lot of folks money and never really put out a product that worked like advertised. I chatted with a machinist that was putting them together. He stated the barrels did not cam on and off easily and there were design flaws from the start.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would stay away from MGI. They are a local company and from what I gather are pretty much defunct. They owe a lot of folks money and never really put out a product that worked like advertised. I chatted with a machinist that was putting them together. He stated the barrels did not cam on and off easily and there were design flaws from the start.
View Quote

This^^^
They don't seem to be doing well at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Modular anything is always too much of a compromise........
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently put one of these together for a designated 7.62x39 build. It was a fun project and I've been happy with the final product. Still needs some tweaking (going to try a heavier buffer) but overall very reliable. I used MGI's 7.62x39 bolt and carrier, lower and barrel.

Old picture, switched out the stock for an MOE since then.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want something cool/different, get a ARAK-21 upper.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I guess it's just me, and I don't know about the MGI back-story, but if this actually *works* it's damn cool as hell.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it's just me but I like my barrels to fit snug in my uppers. It seems to me that swapping out barrels would wear out the aluminum on your upper fairly quick and get all sloppy in no time. I also would not want to pull my barrels out and having my gas tubes all flopping around and shit. I think it's an interesting concept but it just looks too fragile and too busy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe it's just me but I like my barrels to fit snug in my uppers. It seems to me that swapping out barrels would wear out the aluminum on your upper fairly quick and get all sloppy in no time. I also would not want to pull my barrels out and having my gas tubes all flopping around and shit. I think it's an interesting concept but it just looks too fragile and too busy.
View Quote

All true, but I consider it more of an interesting novelty than a combat weapon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The economy in Maine is terrible and good jobs are scarce. I would not buy from them on principle alone knowing what they did to that machine shop. Shady outfit from everything I have heard. This design has been out for probably at least 6 years now if it was a viable product it would have taken off by now.

AL
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#13]
My first hand experience derived review with MGI product as follows: Complete piece of shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Man I have been buying their parts to build my own ar chambered in 7.62x39. Everything so far looks top quality. I hope it all works.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All true, but I consider it more of an interesting novelty than a combat weapon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could buy a LMT MRP/MWS.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#16]
MGI has been around for a while, and once upon a time they were an Industry Partner here on ARFCOM.  They had a forum and a rep here, Tom Lyons, to answer questions, but internal issues within the company resulted in the rep quitting and the company ending their affiliation with this site.  I have two Hydra's, a Gen 1 and a Gen 2, I run them in 5.56, 7.62x39, 6.8, 300 blackout, and 458 SOCOM.  They are extremely well made  and have held up very well, and I shoot mine all the time.  Bear in mind I purchased these several years ago, when Mack Gwinn Sr. was still running things there and Tom was still doing their customer service here.  Both are now gone so I can't speak for what is going on at MGI now.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Their staff has always been very polite on the phone and quick to respond when I email them. Hopefully things work out when I assemble my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Their staff has always been very polite on the phone and quick to respond when I email them. Hopefully things work out when I assemble my rifle.
View Quote
I haven't dealt with them for a while but it sounds like they may have their act together now.  Once you get it together you'll be pleased.  I have a MRP and these have held up as well as the LMT unit.  In fact they are much more versatile since I can use regular AR barrels vice the proprietary barrel the MRP uses.  I have swapped barrels plenty of times in my old Gen 1 and there is no play in the barrel lock up.  That unit has been pretty much dedicated to 5.56 and 458 SOCOM, I opened up the ejection port a bit for the SOCOM brass to eject.  My AK magwell is a early unit, I got it from the first batch they made so it doesn't like drums and it doesn't like waffle mags, so it gets fed from my large stock of Norinco steels mags.  The current AK magwells were made to be compatible with drums.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#19]
The MGI Hydra is great in 7.62x39...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top