AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 183 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pbjunkiee] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

So whats the skinny on your PEQ-2? Is it full power or some kind of training model or?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:

All of those are from today. I was just letting the paint dry.

This is the same lower form my blocki
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/pbjunkiee/_JK27978_zps25a545cc.jpg

This is the upper from about two days ago sans paint. I got stuck with the brace and tube in a trade with it. Already sold them off
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/pbjunkiee/WP_20150123_21_38_11_Pro_zpsf66b4827.jpg

So whats the skinny on your PEQ-2? Is it full power or some kind of training model or?

Full power, 50mw or something.

Bought it at a police auction in a lot of other accessory crap. Took a gamble if it was working or not but scored.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Bought it at a police auction in a lot of other accessory crap.
View All Quotes

This is the upper from about two days ago sans paint. I got stuck with the brace and tube in a trade with it. Already sold them off
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/pbjunkiee/WP_20150123_21_38_11_Pro_zpsf66b4827.jpg

Bought it at a police auction in a lot of other accessory crap.

Oh thats whats up. You got some nice gear buddy. I need to find me an AN/PEQ-2 and an AN/PEQ-15
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Lucky find, what'd you pay if you don't mind my asking?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WE-06:
Lucky find, what'd you pay if you don't mind my asking?
View Quote

600 for the lot, there were a few broken optics and flashlights in a box with it, sold all that off for about 250.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
a few "just because" potato pics

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey elcan guys,

Do you still zero at 100yds with the 10.3" uppers?

I just took mine off my 16" and was planning o sighting it in tuesday,
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
yep -- interestingly enough, after putting my elcan on my 10.3 from my 14.5 upper, the only adjustment needed was a couple inches of elevation. azimuth was right on.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey elcan guys,

View Quote

Yea they still zero at 100. The question came up a couple days ago
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:01:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pbjunkiee] [#10]

View All Quotes
Hey elcan guys,

I saw that trijicon estimate reticle with the elevation changes. stinks sterlok doesn't have an elcan reticle :/
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]

I saw that trijicon estimate reticle with the elevation changes. stinks sterlok doesn't have an elcan reticle :/
View All Quotes
Hey elcan guys,

Heh?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RussellAthletic:

I dig it. Which case is that? I need something similar.
View All Quotes

Starlight SC-101822

Its a great case.  Very tough.  Main reason I bought it though is because they're made about 3 minutes from my house.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

I've used the laundry bag trick, but how are you doing it to where the holes get progressively bigger?  Do you wrap the bag around tight and just spray certain areas and finish up with larger hole netting?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#14]
Originally Posted By RussellAthletic:

I dig it. Which case is that? I need something similar.
View All Quotes

Also interested.

eta: nvm, answered. Damn this thread moves fast sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

I've used the laundry bag trick, but how are you doing it to where the holes get progressively bigger?  Do you wrap the bag around tight and just spray certain areas and finish up with larger hole netting?
View All Quotes

Two bags
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:54:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ihcnehc] [#16]

Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
There are really two reasons.
1. It's the current contract light that's part of the SOPMOD (Block II) program. So, if you're building a "clone" of a modern U.S. military rifle, it's the correct light.
2. Because of its compatibility and features when combined with an ATPIAL. You can't review the WMX-200 on its own as just an individual light, because that's not its intended use. You have to review it as part of the "system", which is when it's paired with an ATPIAL. The WMX has two different lights, 1) a standard white light with a focused beam and 2) a low-power flood IR illuminator. These are two wholly separate LEDs and not just some "IR filter" applied to the white light LED. Both of these perfectly compliment the ATPIAL. The ATPIAL already has an IR illuminator, but it's extremely powerful and even at its widest setting is relatively focused. So the WMX's flood IR is incredible for indoors or CQB work. You can flip it on and simply guarantee that wherever you go the room will be completely splashed. If you combine that with a helmet mounted flood illuminator, you have the most perfect combination of IR flood to navigate around. It's a bit hard to explain, but in actual use, it's unreal.
The white light is also incredibly useful, in terms of the user interface. Soft momentary push for a very low white light, hard momentary push for high beam white light. Double tap for continuous high beam. Double tap momentary push for high beam strobe. The pressure switch plugs in to the rear of the clicks switch, meaning the clicky switch is still completely useable even with the pressure switch plugged in (and negates the need of a plug and separate button). The user interface is simply the best I've ever used on a weapon light.
Since both the WMX and PEQ are Insight creations, they use the same plug interface and accessories are interchangeable. Additionally you can get the Insight dual pressure switch that can control both from one minimal switch interface.
When shooting at night, it's a wonderful combination to leave the IR laser on full time, and then have the WMX's flood IR quickly available for when moving in to dark rooms or areas. Then you can switch the high power ATPIAL's illuminator on for when you're outside and need to illuminate farther targets.
And then finally, the WMX is small, lightweight, low profile, and has combat proven reliability.
No knock on Surefire, but as part of the "system", combined with the ATPIAL, I know of no other light that matches the capability, features, and interface. If you do any shooting at night, and have access to an ATPIAL, it's easily worth the price of admission. If you don't shoot at night, then I guess it's just to be "clone correct"?
Disclaimer: this is only based on my experience with full power ATPIALs. I have no experience with the civi PEQs and their illuminators.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RMiller:
What is the benefit of the WMX200 over Surefire lights, why does everyone lust after them so?
Augee, I know Surefire got a VBL-III contract for the 620V and 720V yet they do not seem to be as prevelant as the Insight lights?

1. It's the current contract light that's part of the SOPMOD (Block II) program. So, if you're building a "clone" of a modern U.S. military rifle, it's the correct light.
2. Because of its compatibility and features when combined with an ATPIAL. You can't review the WMX-200 on its own as just an individual light, because that's not its intended use. You have to review it as part of the "system", which is when it's paired with an ATPIAL. The WMX has two different lights, 1) a standard white light with a focused beam and 2) a low-power flood IR illuminator. These are two wholly separate LEDs and not just some "IR filter" applied to the white light LED. Both of these perfectly compliment the ATPIAL. The ATPIAL already has an IR illuminator, but it's extremely powerful and even at its widest setting is relatively focused. So the WMX's flood IR is incredible for indoors or CQB work. You can flip it on and simply guarantee that wherever you go the room will be completely splashed. If you combine that with a helmet mounted flood illuminator, you have the most perfect combination of IR flood to navigate around. It's a bit hard to explain, but in actual use, it's unreal.
The white light is also incredibly useful, in terms of the user interface. Soft momentary push for a very low white light, hard momentary push for high beam white light. Double tap for continuous high beam. Double tap momentary push for high beam strobe. The pressure switch plugs in to the rear of the clicks switch, meaning the clicky switch is still completely useable even with the pressure switch plugged in (and negates the need of a plug and separate button). The user interface is simply the best I've ever used on a weapon light.
Since both the WMX and PEQ are Insight creations, they use the same plug interface and accessories are interchangeable. Additionally you can get the Insight dual pressure switch that can control both from one minimal switch interface.
When shooting at night, it's a wonderful combination to leave the IR laser on full time, and then have the WMX's flood IR quickly available for when moving in to dark rooms or areas. Then you can switch the high power ATPIAL's illuminator on for when you're outside and need to illuminate farther targets.
And then finally, the WMX is small, lightweight, low profile, and has combat proven reliability.
No knock on Surefire, but as part of the "system", combined with the ATPIAL, I know of no other light that matches the capability, features, and interface. If you do any shooting at night, and have access to an ATPIAL, it's easily worth the price of admission. If you don't shoot at night, then I guess it's just to be "clone correct"?
Disclaimer: this is only based on my experience with full power ATPIALs. I have no experience with the civi PEQs and their illuminators.

The WMX200 lamp also has overheat protection.  Its lamp will automatically turn down by 10% continuously to allow cooling until it reaches a certain threshold.  The light also turns off after 30 minutes to help preserve battery power.  The white light pattern is designed for certain specific needs within certain distance.  The IR flood works better than my Princeton Charge Pro for certain things.  It doesn't have a focus at all.  Just set the gun nearby with IR flood on, and I can adjust NVG focus and then open a small TSA combination lock.

I have also found that I can put the WMX200 head flush with M4A1 RIS II rail (14.5 barrel) and won't have as much shadow as pretty much all Surefire lights.  Not mounting the light next to the muzzle saves it from getting blasted by hot muzzle gas.

Insight remote switch plug also has a 90 degree angle, so it doesn't get in the way of your support hand as much.

There are three lights on the VBL III finalist list.  Surefire M720V, M620V, and Insight WMX200.  I have and used all of them.  M720V is a convoluted switch mess and rather heavy.  M620V is not bad.  WMX200 is by far my favorite.  I just get one for pretty much every single upper I have.  I keep one M600V just in case.

I also bought a 2014 Surefire M620V (smaller head and has WH / OFF / IR switch capability, something Insight has had for a while now) to give  it another chance.  Sold it after two months.

It is my observation that guys who get issued WMX200 seem to be in well funded units, e.g., 75th (photo below).  If they really prefer a Surefire light over WMX200, it is probably not a big problem to get it.

RE this post - these boots are Asolo Fugitive GTX.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Thunder79:

Directly from Insight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By epezent:
Other than Optics Planet and the occasional EE listing, where are people getting their bronze WMX200s?

Directly from Insight.

Interesting. I automatically assumed they wouldn't sell to individuals unless in large quantities. What's the process of doing this? Do they have a sales phone number or email?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Pew.

pew by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#19]
Contemplating painting the rail too.  I just like the look of it brown.

Also waiting on wmx to ship.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]
looks good.
where did you get the UID label?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Pew.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qDKnNQ" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8630/16179735960_70dcdcf27e_o.jpg</a>
pew by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
View Quote

Ahh yeeuh. Gun looks sweet, I got my SU-231 as well! Time for me to go pew when I get payed to sight this bitch in.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Is this dude wearing a Spider-Man outfit under his uniform? Look near his neck.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The good: Block II is all Colt, built from a LE6921 kit with M4 lower. Also just picked up my SOCOM RC on Friday. More on that below.

The bad: I have the wrong Eotech on there . Don't really want another eotech and probably can't afford an elcan so I want to know if Aimpoint T1 is acceptable?

The ugly: RIS II rail is black BUT the whole upper will be painted as soon as weather warms up a bit. So please forgive the black rail for now.

Just shot the SOCOM RC for the first time today. With the exception of the first round pop, which was pretty noticeable, the can was quieter than I expected given the feedback I'd heard. Had no problems removing the can either. Overall accuracy was just ok, shot about 3-4 MOA with PMC X-tac 55 gr but it was 30 degrees with 20 mph wind which might have contributed to the less than stellar accuracy.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Interesting. I automatically assumed they wouldn't sell to individuals unless in large quantities. What's the process of doing this? Do they have a sales phone number or email?
View All Quotes
Other than Optics Planet and the occasional EE listing, where are people getting their bronze WMX200s?

Directly from Insight.

When I first approached them, I was told that I had to order from a .mil email address. Being a vet (no longer active), I had to try another avenue. I searched high and low to no avail (they weren't available on the civi market for a while). Frustrated, I wrote a letter explaining what I did in the military, offered DD214, explained combat disabled, and offered VA paperwork with rating. I received an email back asking how they could help and how many I would like. They really took care of me, military discount and all. I even got the Hi-IR model that I really wanted.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ViktorVaughn:
The good: Block II is all Colt, built from a LE6921 kit with M4 lower. Also just picked up my SOCOM RC on Friday. More on that below.

The bad: I have the wrong Eotech on there . Don't really want another eotech and probably can't afford an elcan so I want to know if Aimpoint T1 is acceptable?

The ugly: RIS II rail is black BUT the whole upper will be painted as soon as weather warms up a bit. So please forgive the black rail for now.

Just shot the SOCOM RC for the first time today. With the exception of the first round pop, which was pretty noticeable, the can was quieter than I expected given the feedback I'd heard. Had no problems removing the can either. Overall accuracy was just ok, shot about 3-4 MOA with PMC X-tac 55 gr but it was 30 degrees with 20 mph wind which might have contributed to the less than stellar accuracy.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt101/cdwallis/My%20Camera/mk18/2AEDB1AC-2C8E-49F9-8F3A-072A2F1F05C0_zpsuhxezwhf.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt101/cdwallis/My%20Camera/mk18/3FCD116F-5A16-4B93-ABA1-4438407189ED_zpsd4drqfha.jpg
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#26]

When I first approached them, I was told that I had to order from a .mil email address. Being a vet (no longer active), I had to try another avenue. I searched high and low to no avail (they weren't available on the civi market for a while). Frustrated, I wrote a letter explaining what I did in the military, offered DD214, explained combat disabled, and offered VA paperwork with rating. I received an email back asking how they could help and how many I would like. They really took care of me, military discount and all. I even got the Hi-IR model that I really wanted.
View All Quotes

Directly from Insight.

If I bought from Optics planet, am I not getting the high IR model?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2014%20US%20Spec%20Ops/8159074957_bcbbc1a31a_k_zpsbd14ee40.jpg
View Quote

It's a scarf-type cloth to wick away sweat or wrap around your face/eyes to protect from dust.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

It's a scarf-type cloth to wick away sweat or wrap around your face/eyes to protect from dust.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2014%20US%20Spec%20Ops/8159074957_bcbbc1a31a_k_zpsbd14ee40.jpg

I'm going to tell myself that he thinks of himself as a secret-Spider Man, 'cause that's more fun!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Directly from Insight.

Nope, you won't,  unless OP has old stock (which I doubt).  They have discontinued the IR-H model AFAIK, or it's at least not being offered for civilian sales.

They've also completely done away with the individual military purchase program.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Directly from Insight.

Did they offer the Hi-IR model?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you. What mount should be used?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Larue lower 1/3 mount (I believe it's the LT660).
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ViktorVaughn] [#33]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:

View All Quotes

Thank ye

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Did they offer the Hi-IR model?
View Quote

I was unaware that there were different models for different powers until now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Unless I find an affordable 4P, I have the last piece (G33) on order. ETA by this weekend! it only took a year and 3 months. The first page of this thread should have a suggested annual income to play here. pics to follow upon arrival.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#36]
So I'm guessing I need VBL-600-A27, vs. the one I ordered which was the VBL-000-A27?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#37]
So I'm guessing I need VBL-600-A27, vs. the one I ordered which was the VBL-000-A27?
View Quote

I think so, I can't remember how the part numbers work. I got mine last year. Someone in here probably knows for sure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
What is the benefit of the WMX200 over Surefire lights, why does everyone lust after them so?

Augee, I know Surefire got a VBL-III contract for the 620V and 720V yet they do not seem to be as prevelant as the Insight lights?

Thanks for the info Augee, I do hunt at night and have used the full power lasers, most all of them and I find that a Surefire 720V fits my needs better than using the IR illuminator all the time, I can illuminate entire fields with the Surefire 620/720 and run it more than I do the peq illuminator, I use the Surefire dual switch and it works quite well as a system as well.

How far does the WMX200 flood throw, 25 meters, 50?

I may be may be missing the boat on this, maybe I will have to try one as I have Insight dual switches waiting for a purpose...

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#39]
View Quote

Yep.  -000 is standard IR output, -600 is IR-H.  Like I said though, you're only going to find one on the used market.  They either completely discontinued the IR-H model, or ceased offering it for civilian sales.

Here's a pic of mine when I got it.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Yep.  -000 is standard IR output, -600 is IR-H.  Like I said though, you're only going to find one on the used market.  They either completely discontinued the IR-H model, or ceased offering it for civilian sales.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5572/15277472031_74477e6514_b.jpg
View All Quotes

Is it still offered through Insight directly to mil?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Where'd you get that?  I read earlier in the thread the only place is to order from insight directly?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Shot a class/drill day thing today. Clearing the mock room on auto was surprisingly really way more efficient. No fake hostages killed. It was the end of the day and I hadn't switched it over all day and the instructors wanted to see it shoot/shoot it.

Really didn't shoot too much rifle ammo today, maybe 200-300 rounds, but did the normal malfunctions drills with the stick and cleared those out fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

So how does this work, better IR than the 000 I would guess, is it still a flood, caomparible to Surefire IR?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Nope, I got mine through Insight directly last October, they were discontinuing the individual .mil purchase program right around that time though.

Basically, to my knowledge, the only way to get an IR-H model nowadays is second hand.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Unless I find an affordable 4P, I have the last piece (G33) on order. ETA by this weekend! it only took a year and 3 months. The first page of this thread should have a suggested annual income to play here. pics to follow upon arrival.
View Quote

Been wanting to check out a G33 again. Hopefully it gets to you before we hit the range Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Nope, I got mine through Insight directly last October, they were discontinuing the individual .mil purchase program right around that time though.

Basically, to my knowledge, the only way to get an IR-H model nowadays is second hand.
View All Quotes

Shit...  I guess I will cancel my Optics Planet order then.  What should I expect to pay for the hi-ir model in the secondhand market?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Suddenly I feel as if a lot of things are being discontinued....
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#48]

So how does this work, better IR than the 000 I would guess, is it still a flood, caomparible to Surefire IR?
View All Quotes

I've never used the standard IR model, so I can't compare, but the IR-H is nowhere near comparable to a Surefire IR weaponlight.

As Augee has stated, the WMX was built to complement the ATPIAL with a full power, adjustable illuminator.  The IR on the WMX is more akin to navigation lights than it is to an IR illuminator useful at distance.

In my eyes, the only reason to get a WMX outside of clone correctness, is if you have a LAM with an IR illuminator.

On the plus side for the WMX though, it's white light output is world's better, IMO, than Surefire's dual output weaponlights.  It's got quite a bit more spill and throw is comparable.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Does the VBL-600-A27 have the rotational mount or fixed?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Does the VBL-600-A27 have the rotational mount or fixed?

View Quote

I believe VBL-600-A27 is rotational VBL-600-A26 is fixed.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 183 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top