Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bohguy:

Find a 6920 upper. Send to ADCO for cut and .70 gas port. Profit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 56cbr600rr:
Did some searching with no real clear answers found.  Thinking about adding a mk18 to
The mix.  It seems the easiest way to do it is to buy a Colt lower and then by a dd mk18 upper.  The  part that bothers me however is the MK 18 marking on the upper. That does not seem clone legit to me…  nor the colt barrel/ports.

Are all the issued upper and lower receivers Colt?  Or is LMT OK?  Are all
Issued barrels Colt??  Or was there some LMT/DD in the mix?

Not really which MOD I'm leaning towards; but love the shorter barrel!

Also know that a DD Mk18 upper ISN'T a Colt/Crane Mk18, its more a CQBR block II.

Edit: top of page.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sell me that sign!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't the mk18 profile thicker than a normal
Colt barrel, similar to the 14.5 socom?

Did some searching with no real clear answers found.  Thinking about adding a mk18 to
The mix.  It seems the easiest way to do it is to buy a Colt lower and then by a dd mk18 upper.  The  part that bothers me however is the MK 18 marking on the upper. That does not seem clone legit to me…  nor the colt barrel/ports.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

Nope. Gov profile.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not doing an exact clone but can someone recommend an offset Scout mount for the Block II? I'm looking for something that will clear the 99051 front. I was looking at the Gear Sector offset mount and the IWC Thorntail SBR offset one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]

How about 5.45?
View Quote

I have Mod 0 uppers in both 5.45 and 5.56.

When my 5.45 eventually runs out I'll shoot the 5.56 one.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 021411:
I'm not doing an exact clone but can someone recommend an offset Scout mount for the Block II? I'm looking for something that will clear the 99051 front. I was looking at the Gear Sector offset mount and the IWC Thorntail SBR offset one.
View Quote

Gear Sector will fit, but depending on what side you want to run the light on and how far forward, you will have to make some compromises.

You can see that it just barely clears with the light on the right side and about as far forward as you can get it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The only position I do not understand is the switch in front of the PEQ. Everything else is just how comfortable you are with it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By baderrick:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By baderrick:

How about 5.45?

I have a ton of 5.45; I'm going to start rebarreling by 5.56s to 5.45...of which I will probably never run out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:21:41 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

How much does ADCO charge for all of this?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:53:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#11]

Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:

I paid around $65.00 or so a few months back. Mailed it in on Wednesday, got it back the following week on Tuesday.

I sent in a  Daniel Defense 16" inch .055 gas port barrel and had it turned into a 10.3" .070 as I didn't want the commercial .080 barrel DD offers. Runs flawless on all ammo, XM-193, M855, Tula, Wolf, PMC, whatever using the H2 buffer.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Gear Sector will clear the 99051 if the sight is mounted in the traditional way and the bezel of the light is flush with the end of the rail, which is how I had mine mounted.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks SecretSquirell and TacticalDentite for the response. I'll give the Gear Sector mount a shot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnySasaki20] [#14]
So I sprayed/re-sprayed the guns.

Before:

</a>" />

I kinda dig this setup:

</a>" />

</a>" />

But ultimately they ended up like this:

</a>" />

Including m4a1 and glock:

</a>" />

I think that FSP just needs a NT4 now.

Oh, and I also took this pic during the painting process, just for shits and gigs.

" />

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JohnnySasaki20:

Before:

http://<a href=https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7776/29780010981_23960b430d_h.jpg</a>" />

I kinda dig this setup:

http://<a href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8021/29865435936_d990ec7006_h.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8334/29273082264_8cfebaacd0_h.jpg</a>" />

But ultimately they ended up like this:

http://<a href=https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8517/29606201770_e85185ec65_h.jpg</a>" />

Including m4a1 and glock:

http://<a href=https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8363/29274126173_a3c0965e10_h.jpg</a>" />

I think that FSP just needs a NT4 now.

Oh, and I also took this pic during the painting process, just for shits and gigs.

http://<a href=https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8358/29817543061_5d37012625_h.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

Those look pretty damn good! You should've left them all like the last photo though
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Stoner25mkiv:

Also know that a DD Mk18 upper ISN'T a Colt/Crane Mk18, its more a CQBR block II.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/T00lmanii/crane1_zpswy6sa9vw.jpg
View All Quotes

Your sign?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Awesome job brother.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MrFrZZ:

Awesome job brother.
View All Quotes

Awesome job brother.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Awesome job brother.

Like boss.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

This paint job is best paint job.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks SecretSquirell and TacticalDentite for the response. I'll give the Gear Sector mount a shot.
View Quote

They're by far my most favorite mount. Dirt simple, very strong and aren't bulky.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#22]

View Quote

1. Your stated reasons are the same reasons that most here don't go that route. The best route is to source a barrel, rail, upper, gas block and tube and just assemble it yourself.

2. Crane uses a few different sources for uppers, and there's a lot of variance also depending on what branch the gun is from. DD are not used but ones like Colt, Diemaco, etc… For clone purposes any mil-spec upper works fine. A lot of people will find a Colt, but you could also do something like the generic keyforge ones. DI had them on sale for $37 for awhile.

3. Mil barrels are all Colt, both factory 10.3s and 14.5" M4 barrels cut down to 10.3" by Crane. If you're building a clone, the best strategy is to usually find any mil-spec government carbine gas 10.5", 14.5", 16", etc… barrel (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, etc…) and send it to ADCO and have them chop to 10.3". They do this service all the time, do it right, and typically do a week turnaround. You could always buy one of the already chopped ones on the EE to save some time but the price isn't great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 1:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#23]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
The only position I do not understand is the switch in front of the PEQ. Everything else is just how comfortable you are with it.
View Quote

That position seems to be being used by people who really want the C-clamp grip as far out on the rail as you can. There's a number of schools teaching this now. So I think they're using the switch for white light and then using the button on top of the atpial to fire the laser under nods. They're probably using the dual switch still vs. the single because it's what's available and it mounts to the rail with no additional work.

It looks goofy and wrong as hell tho.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

1. Your stated reasons are the same reasons that most here don't go that route. The best route is to source a barrel, rail, upper, gas block and tube and just assemble it yourself.

2. Crane uses a few different sources for uppers, and there's a lot of variance also depending on what branch the gun is from. DD are not used but ones like Colt, Diemaco, etc… For clone purposes any mil-spec upper works fine. A lot of people will find a Colt, but you could also do something like the generic keyforge ones. DI had them on sale for $37 for awhile.

3. Mil barrels are all Colt, both factory 10.3s and 14.5" M4 barrels cut down to 10.3" by Crane. If you're building a clone, the best strategy is to usually find any mil-spec government carbine gas 10.5", 14.5", 16", etc… barrel (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, etc…) and send it to ADCO and have them chop to 10.3". They do this service all the time, do it right, and typically do a week turnaround. You could always buy one of the already chopped ones on the EE to save some time but the price isn't great.
View All Quotes

Is there a reason why we've known otherwise to some of this for a while now, but some still claim every CQBR barrel is Colt?

Don't get me wrong, I realize the vast vast vast majority are, but facts are still facts. There's a reason why some of us have "mil overrun" DD .070 ported barrels with factory pre dimpled and installed Mk12 gas blocks on them. And there's also a reason why DD continues to produce and ship those same barrels to this day, but they are unavailable to civilians...

I'll also add that complete DD uppers have in fact also been purchased and fielded by SOCOM. Once again, in vast minority numbers in the grand scheme of things, but still doesn't change the facts there either. Although, similarly to the exact DD barrels being fielded, the exact DD uppers being fielded aren't available for civilian purchase either. They ship with absolutely no markings at all on the upper receiver, and would not be available for purchase for a build.

I'm really not trying to stir the pot. I'm just pointing out that in this particular case, a member specifically asked if some DD stuff was in use - he was then told, no, it's all Colt (aside from upper receivers, but then no mention of the DD upper receivers in use), but that's not entirely true. And once again, we've known that to not be entirely true for a while now.

I'll also add that this isn't like that small (what was it, 100 or 150?) one time run or whatever we wanna call it of LMT URGs. DD has been continuing to churn out .070 CQBR barrels and their "SOCOM" CQBR uppers to this day. And they sure aren't available or being sold to us civilians. The sole batch made available to civilians dubbed a "mil overrun" is what I call a clue...
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Agreed....that looks killer!!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Anybody have experience with the Colt 6945ck's? I'm really tempted to pick one up. I've wanted a DD mk18 upper for years and always figured I'd get around to building one. Hell, I have a 10" Geissele rail sitting in the bedroom waiting... I don't think my can would clear with the 10" rail so maybe I'll pull the trigger on the Colt or DD. The Colt is actually a bit cheaper. Any input appreciated
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Sunset is best set; natural light is best light.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Decided To move forward with a mk18 build even though my sopmod block II isn't quite finished.  Seems there are quite a few ways to go about it.  In the next day or two I'll order a Colt lower and keep my eyes open for a Gen 1 SOPMOD stock.  

For the upper one of my options (lowest priced option) is to pick up a built DD MK18 upper.  If I do this I'll sell the bcg and charging handle and go with Colt Items.
I want to stay mostly true on this build.  That being said, what do I do with the DD upper receiver???   Keep it and paint over it?  Replace it with a Colt upper receiver?

Thought??
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:
<a href="http://s358.photobucket.com/user/emailryandavis/media/Natural%20Light_zpsqhb8nhy7.png.html" target="_blank">http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/emailryandavis/Natural%20Light_zpsqhb8nhy7.png</a>
View Quote

True words is best words.

......wait, what's that can you got on there?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By CloneDiseased:

<a href="http://s358.photobucket.com/user/emailryandavis/media/Natural%20Light_zpsqhb8nhy7.png.html" target="_blank">http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo30/emailryandavis/Natural%20Light_zpsqhb8nhy7.png</a>

Haha, it's a shit can ...until I get this second CQBR dun in 300 blk

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By coregon:

Your sign?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coregon:

Your sign?

I wish.  It belongs to a long time "retro head" I know.  He has several items that came from Crane NSWC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Decided To move forward with a mk18 build even though my sopmod block II isn't quite finished.  Seems there are quite a few ways to go about it.  In the next day or two I'll order a Colt lower and keep my eyes open for a Gen 1 SOPMOD stock.  

For the upper one of my options (lowest priced option) is to pick up a built DD MK18 upper.  If I do this I'll sell the bcg and charging handle and go with Colt Items.
I want to stay mostly true on this build.  That being said, what do I do with the DD upper receiver???   Keep it and paint over it?  Replace it with a Colt upper receiver?

Thought??
View Quote

Personally I would just buy a complete 6920 and have the barrel chopped.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#33]
If I do this are the gas ports the .07 dimension?  And are the exisiting one's used or new one's have to be drilled?

Thx

Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

View All Quotes

Thought??

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#34]

If I do this are the gas ports the .07 dimension?  And are the exisiting one's used or new one's have to be drilled?

Thx

View All Quotes

Thx

Thought??

If you send to ADCO for the chop they can ream the gas port to your spec. .070 Is the spec used by Crane.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Thx
View Quote

1. If you don't request anything, ADCO has their own spec that they use for reliability. It's slightly larger than .070 but nowhere near the size of DD's commercial barrels. They do this for reliability so that you can operate the gun with a variety of ammo both suppressed and unsuppressed. If you specify that you want .070, they will do that for you. Just know that with the standard carbine spring / H2 buffer combo your gun will short stroke on weak ammo until the gas port erodes enough for it to handle it. It will run 100% suppressed on pretty much anything.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "new one's have to be drilled", but all they're doing is simply opening up the existing gas port to a larger diameter (just like Crane does).
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#36]
As usual...crickets...

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Show off...
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:34:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By karst_runner:
Anybody have experience with the Colt 6945ck's? I'm really tempted to pick one up. I've wanted a DD mk18 upper for years and always figured I'd get around to building one. Hell, I have a 10" Geissele rail sitting in the bedroom waiting... I don't think my can would clear with the 10" rail so maybe I'll pull the trigger on the Colt or DD. The Colt is actually a bit cheaper. Any input appreciated
View Quote

If you go with a true 10.3" Barrel, I think you're correct in your assumption that the can will not clear. I want to say that a 10.5" barrel with a 10" Geissele rail is the sweet spot where you'll need the DD Mk18 RIS II to clear the suppressor and also be clone correct. Right now the DD RIS IIs are demanding a ridiculous premium, at least from what I've seen posted in the EE recently. If you've already got the Geissele Rail, I'd just toss a 10.5" Barrel on it and be done. It will still be an awesome build. OR you could try to use it as trade fodder against a complete upper or RISII (if you're going BlockII)

I'm slowly becoming a G snob. Its started with a G2S trigger.... then I found a Mk3 Mod1 rail for a build I'm working on, and now I'm looking into a scope mount, and would probably go all in on a receiver if they get into them.

Good Luck!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#39]

1. If you don't request anything, ADCO has their own spec that they use for reliability. It's slightly larger than .070 but nowhere near the size of DD's commercial barrels. They do this for reliability so that you can operate the gun with a variety of ammo both suppressed and unsuppressed. If you specify that you want .070, they will do that for you. Just know that with the standard carbine spring / H2 buffer combo your gun will short stroke on weak ammo until the gas port erodes enough for it to handle it. It will run 100% suppressed on pretty much anything.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by "new one's have to be drilled", but all they're doing is simply opening up the existing gas port to a larger diameter (just like Crane does).
View All Quotes

Thx

When I had my barrel chopped I didn't request a port size and they drilled it out very large, large enough that a 3/32 punch fit into the gas port.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#40]
So with the below being said; If I use a DD MK18 commercial barrel and its ris II rail a suppressor will not fit?

If you go with a true 10.3" Barrel, I think you're correct in your assumption that the can will not clear. I want to say that a 10.5" barrel with a 10" Geissele rail is the sweet spot where you'll need the DD Mk18 RIS II to clear the suppressor and also be clone correct. Right now the DD RIS IIs are demanding a ridiculous premium, at least from what I've seen posted in the EE recently. If you've already got the Geissele Rail, I'd just toss a 10.5" Barrel on it and be done. It will still be an awesome build. OR you could try to use it as trade fodder against a complete upper or RISII (if you're going BlockII)

I'm slowly becoming a G snob. Its started with a G2S trigger.... then I found a Mk3 Mod1 rail for a build I'm working on, and now I'm looking into a scope mount, and would probably go all in on a receiver if they get into them.

Good Luck!!

View All Quotes

Good Luck!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:28:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrFrZZ] [#41]
So with the below being said; If I use a DD MK18 commercial barrel and its ris II rail a suppressor will not fit?

View All Quotes

Good Luck!!

No. the 10.3" Barrel and RISII WILL work, depending on your suppressor...For example, if you are going true clone, you're looking at using either a Surefire 4 prong hider/ 3 prong hider ( I know, not correct) and a Surefire Socom RC Can, OR you will be using a knight Armament NT4QDSS suppressor and mount. These will work with a 10.3" barre and RISII. If you were to use a standard A2 hider and a Gemtech Halo, it would NOT work. I think that an Advanced Armament 51T Hider will also house the suppressor with JUST enough clearance, but I'm not sure the 51T Muzzle brake provides enough. ARRyan should be able to weigh in on this as I think he has 57 Advanced armament suppressors layign around.

What I said would not work is the Geissele 10" Rail and 10.3" w/ suppressor. You would need the 10.5" if you built a rifle using the Geissele rail.

Edit:

10.3" Barrel + DD RISII + Correct suppressor = Good to go

10.5" Barrel + Geissele 10" Rail + Suppressor = Good to go

10.5" Barrel + DD RIS II + Suppressor = good to go

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Thank you sir!  Then all good as I'd use a 3/4 prong and a SureFire can.

No. the 10.3" Barrel and RISII WILL work, depending on your suppressor...For example, if you are going true clone, you're looking at using either a Surefire 4 prong hider/ 3 prong hider ( I know, not correct) and a Surefire Socom RC Can, OR you will be using a knight Armament NT4QDSS suppressor and mount. These will work with a 10.3" barre and RISII. If you were to use a standard A2 hider and a Gemtech Halo, it would NOT work. I think that an Advanced Armament 51T Hider will also house the suppressor with JUST enough clearance, but I'm not sure the 51T Muzzle brake provides enough. ARRyan should be able to weigh in on this as I think he has 57 Advanced armament suppressors layign around.

What I said would not work is the Geissele 10" Rail and 10.3" w/ suppressor. You would need the 10.5" if you built a rifle using the Geissele rail.

Edit:

View All Quotes

Good Luck!!

Edit:

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Thank you sir!  Then all good as I'd use a 3/4 prong and a SureFire can.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

emailed
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Your suppressor will fit just fine. The more important question will be how reliable it is. You're starting with an overgassed barrel and suppressing it. You're most likely going to need to do some work to the spring/buffer combo to tame that down and/or shoot under powered ammo if you want 100% reliability.

I had heard enough reports of this, even acknowledged by DD themselves but didn't give it too much credit until I experienced it myself. If your plan is to run a can often I would highly recommend not going this route.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the additional input.  I think I will follow your advice and NOT purchase the MK18 upper.  I've got to keep an eye out now for a MK18 RIS II.  Anynody know of one please let me know.

I think I'll follow the advice of purchasing a complete LE6920 or m4A1 if I can get lucky enough to find one.  Is the Colt OEM 2 6920 a good starting point?

On a superduper cool note; I did just find and purchase a painted and beat up GEN 1 B5 sopmod Stock!

Your suppressor will fit just fine. The more important question will be how reliable it is. You're starting with an overgassed barrel and suppressing it. You're most likely going to need to do some work to the spring/buffer combo to tame that down and/or shoot under powered ammo if you want 100% reliability.

I had heard enough reports of this, even acknowledged by DD themselves but didn't give it too much credit until I experienced it myself. If your plan is to run a can often I would highly recommend not going this route.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 56cbr600rr:Is the Colt OEM 2 6920 a good starting point?
View Quote

Yes. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:38:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: White_knight] [#49]
Heres my WIP, i know the EoTechs are not correct and i waiting to buy the KAC BUIS until after my elcan and sopmod stock come in. trying to find the PEQ15c is next to impossible in canada so that ones going to have to wait. let me know what you guys think. if you want to see more hit my instagram @av12g

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By White_knight:
Heres my WIP, i know the EoTechs are not correct and i waiting to buy the KAC BUIS until after my elcan and sopmod stock come in. trying to find the PEQ15c is next to impossible in canada so that ones going to have to wait. let me know what you guys think. if you want to see more hit my instagram @av12g

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8479/29865504371_d1fcaf49e3_o.jpg
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8762/29265364783_4ca07721ae_k.jpg
View Quote

How did you do that?
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 815 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top