Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1242 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Likely factory FN SOCOM 10.3's.
View Quote
No, they came from Crane as cut down 14.5s. I think that's the only way they come as of right now... That's all I've seen in the last year I've been here anyway
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Where do they get knuckleheads dumb enough to keep doing this?  

CD
View Quote
You say we're building guns and I come running! 😛
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:

I love FSPs. Always and always will. I have some rifles with Geissele rails, but all my FSP rifles are my favorites. Mod O was a logical choice. I cheated and went with an AAC M4 2000. In my eyes, it is the only 5.56 battle can. Don’t care if not correct.
View Quote
Whats your definition for battle can?  I have an M4-2000 myself.. I'm just curious what criteria you're throwing out for that, that perhaps the RC2 doesn't have or is not.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:55:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MauserMatt] [#9]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Strange. IIRC, CD was getting FN 10.3" SOCOM profile bbls that were not chopped?.
View Quote
Yep, we had a few of those left when I first got here a year ago. When they dried up, these were the replacements.

CD and I may work at the same place...

I'll have to check when I get back to the shop what the markings are on these. I assume they're FN though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Yeah that's why I made my last answer. But then again, the FN barrels come absolutely slathered in oil. Matt's are dry.
View Quote
Haha!

These did come in a foil wrapper and then again wrapped in a piece of brown anti corrosion paper. But you're correct, they were all dry. I'll take better pictures of the barrels if CD doesn't beat me to it. (if you're interested that is)
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:00:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#11]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:56:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#12]

Likely factory FN SOCOM 10.3's.
View Quote
Those are not factory FN SOCOMs, notice the taper pin holes.  I would think that Crane cut some factory 14.5's down and then threaded the muzzle and dimpled for the Mk12 set screws.  Just like they did for years with the Govt Profile.  Factory FN don't have the taper pin holes and already dimpled.  I'm sure my Thompson loving coworker won't confirm what he posted as the FN/Colt markings were on the front by the muzzle.  When cut down, no markings except maybe date by gas port.  Crane marked the bags with their Cage Code.  I still have NIW FN 10.3's but out of cut down barrels at my location.

FN 10.3"
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Added a matech to the stable. Guess I need to start another build??
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 10:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#14]
I managed to pick up a factory Colt 10.3" SOCOM profile for my build. Although I think it was a pull off from a monolithic Colt LE6945 upper because it didn't have taper pin holes drilled, or dimples, or M203 cuts. It had the factory colt oil covering everything and the factory finish on the threads all the way up to the muzzle and then had a recessed crown with chroming visible around the recess. So I'm 99% sure it's not a cut down.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Picked up a 10.3 DD Barrel. Figured since it was new, it would have the correct gas port size. I was wrong, should I unload this and get the correct one? Would it technically fall under warranty for Daniel defense since it’s so over gassed?

Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tacticool_Duck:
Picked up a 10.3 DD Barrel. Figured since it was new, it would have the correct gas port size. I was wrong, should I unload this and get the correct one? Would it technically fall under warranty for Daniel defense since it’s so over gassed?

View Quote
What size is it?  I would call DD and have them correct if new.

CD
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tacticool_Duck] [#17]
Dbl tap
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]

What size is it?  I would call DD and have them correct if new.

CD
View Quote
Appears to be .083 on calipers. I’ll be able to verify with work tools tomorrow, But 99% sure. I purchased it on EE. Not sure if DD will help but I’ll give it a try and see what they say since it’s brand new.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Definitely use a pin gauge but it ain't looking good if you're getting .083. (IIRC old ones were .082")
View Quote
Most likely .082 honestly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Sexy!
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Closed tine? Hows that working out?
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

Closed tine? Hows that working out?
View Quote
Its the warcomp version, which isnt my favorite. Would rather have just the closed tine. But it has the can on 99% of the time so I havent changed it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Conner378:

Its the warcomp version, which isnt my favorite. Would rather have just the closed tine. But it has the can on 99% of the time so I havent changed it.
View Quote
I was thinking about this the other day. With the open tines, obviously the blast baffle gets all the erosion. Some people suggest closed tine or brake to help with this. But that blast has to go somewhere. Is it going into the walls or shell? At least when it hits the baffle like it was designed, it can be repaired if needed. Curious on everybody's thoughts or data.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I was thinking about this the other day. With the open tines, obviously the blast baffle gets all the erosion. Some people suggest closed tine or brake to help with this. But that blast has to go somewhere. Is it going into the walls or shell? At least when it hits the baffle like it was designed, it can be repaired if needed. Curious on everybody's thoughts or data.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I ran brakes back in 2013 when I was all worried about can service life and blast baffle erosion, etc. I stopped caring in 2015 and didn't like my teeth getting rattled anymore with muzzle brakes, so all my guns have flash hiders except one, which is an AAC 51T Brakeout 2.0 (Hybird flash hider muzzle brake). Honestly, regarding my surefire, I have like 3-4k rounds of M855/M193 through my SOCOM SB using a mix of SF3P and the newer SFCT 556 (closed tine flash hider) all on 10.3 inch MK18 clones and a SCAR16 10 inch gun, and while there is some erosion where the flash hider prongs are (or aren't), its not significant and no worse than any of my other cans with much higher round counts. I figure if I shoot the can out or break it, ill send it to surefire to fix, but by the time I do that, they will likely have some new wiz bang can tech out, and ill want to keep up with the jones' or latest clone blaster
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#27]
Originally Posted By MauserMatt:
Attachment Attached File

It's a hell of a job, but someone has to do it...
View Quote
Your job seems like it could be a lot more fun than mine.  At work, I got written up because some stupid snowflake was offended by images of firearms on my screen.

Question about the Elcans......the eye relief....do most guys dump the rear sights and push the Elcan as far back as it can go or do they just crane their neck as far forward as possible and make do, or dump the Elcans altogether and go with the Eotech+X3?

My rifle is set up as a clone of someone else's rifle, and it looks great (at least in my opinion) in photos, but I'm not comfortable behind it and as a result, it sits in my safe most of the time.

Colt Canada CANSOFCOM clone on the left, Mk18 clone on the right.

Trying to decide if I should dump the Elcan and switch to an Eotech or Aimpoint or just dump the iron sight and move the Elcan (I know, not clone correct Elcan) further back.

As it is now, my neck ends up like this whenever I get behind my rifle.

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:06:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#28]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
With 4 prongs I there is noticeable wear which is what are on most of my guns. But i look at it as life is too short to worry about baffle wear as much as some do. Shoot it till it wears out and then give surefire a call. I will say when shooting with the warcomp with a can on, all the little blast holes get filled with carbon pretty rapidly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Mister_Donut:

Your job seems like it could be a lot more fun than mine.  At work, I got written up because some stupid snowflake was offended by images of firearms on my screen.

Question about the Elcans......the eye relief....do most guys dump the rear sights and push the Elcan as far back as it can go or do they just crane their neck as far forward as possible and make do, or dump the Elcans altogether and go with thr Eotech+X3?

My rifle is set up as a clone of someone else's rifle, and it looks great (at least in my opinion) in photos, but I'm not comfortable behind it and as a result, it sits in my safe most of the time.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zRaXX9ytdgw/XSQa2bRgFFI/AAAAAAAA448/QXYXwdzFghAn4nBY-TfPwOhyBWK3uDWYgCKgBGAs/s1600/P7087431.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z5Uj_USStg8/XSQb_prgtTI/AAAAAAAA45Y/U37SSpMF5_IWZLoIgdEpzugo8UFYsxhdQCKgBGAs/s1600/P7087434.JPG

Trying to decide if I should dump the Elcan and switch swtich to an Eotech or Aimpoint or just dump the iron sight and move the Elcan further back.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/787/356/d6f.jpg
View Quote
Suggest you go with what is comfortable and shootable for YOU.

CD
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#31]

Suggest you go with what is comfortable and shootable for YOU.

CD
View Quote
Definitely the case for my rifles that I actually do shoot, just not the case for a few that I've built in the name of cloning.

But yeah, makes little sense to have a rifle I'm not comfortable shooting.

I'll try dumping the rear sight and push the Elcan back as MILSPEC556 suggested and as he mentioned, the Elcan's got the Rain sights anyway.

I was just curious if anyone else didn't like the eye reliief on the Elcans, what their solution was.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#32]

With 4 prongs I there is noticeable wear which is what are on most of my guns. But i look at it as life is too short to worry about baffle wear as much as some do. Shoot it till it wears out and then give surefire a call. I will say when shooting with the warcomp with a can on, all the little blast holes get filled with carbon pretty rapidly.
View Quote
Yea I'm looking for 4 prongs. I'd rather have the baffle wear than the shell.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Question about the Elcans......the eye relief....do most guys dump the rear sights and push the Elcan as far back as it can go or do they just crane their neck as far forward as possible and make do, or dump the Elcans altogether and go with the Eotech+X3?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zRaXX9ytdgw/XSQa2bRgFFI/AAAAAAAA448/QXYXwdzFghAn4nBY-TfPwOhyBWK3uDWYgCKgBGAs/s1600/P7087431.JPG

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z5Uj_USStg8/XSQb_prgtTI/AAAAAAAA45Y/U37SSpMF5_IWZLoIgdEpzugo8UFYsxhdQCKgBGAs/s1600/P7087434.JPG

Trying to decide if I should dump the Elcan and switch to an Eotech or Aimpoint or just dump the iron sight and move the Elcan (I know, not clone correct Elcan) further back.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/787/356/d6f.jpg
View Quote
Got rid of all my buis on my clones. Sorry but the 99051 will fail before my elcan does.
I dont find the elcan even usable unless its moved back to where I like. If im at a range and it gets to the point where my optics are all dead then im just going home
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#34]
Originally Posted By 100roundclipazine:
Got rid of all my buis on my clones. Sorry but the 99051 will fail before my elcan does.
I dont find the elcan even usable unless its moved back to where I like. If im at a range and it gets to the point where my optics are all dead then im just going home
View Quote
Got it. Going to dump the BUIS when I get home tonight and give it a try.

With my C7 clone, I have my Elcan (different model, C79, but equally crappy eye relief) practically all the way back, but that's because it's a clone of my work rifle :)

My Mk18 and CANSOFCOM clones are basically copies of someone else's setups, so I guess it makes sense that I may not find someone else's set up comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I was always under the impression that Elcans had decent eye relief. Atleast compared to RCOs, which shooting NTCH was still easy to get on. (Until your on the back end of Golf 6 and it's your fourth run of the day cause you section is under TO'd)
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#36]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It isn't so much that blast goes elsewhere, it's that the 3 and 4 prongs tend to concentrate and direct the blast into specific areas. Think of the difference between a 4 prong and an SFCT like a garden hose with an adjustable handle: one gives a tight, concentrated blast to 4 areas on the baffle, whereas the SFCT gives more of a diffused blast to the entire thing. Neither is really hitting the walls of the blast chamber any worse than the other, it's just a matter of how the blast is directed.

Based on that, if it were purely just a 1 to 1 of longer baffle life equals longer can life, I'd say the SFCT is probably the way to go (or even a brake). But, the catch is, baffle life isn't the only consideration. Carbon buildup is probably going to kill it first anyway, and even if you address it every 5-10k as I do, there is still a certain amount you simply can't get out - it's melted copper or bi-metal dust, carbon triple baked; whatever it is, it ain't coming out with any method I know of. So, say using an SFCT or even a brake adds 5k to the life of the baffle - does that help if 25% or more of your volume is gone and your can is 3 or 4oz overweight?

Besides, the blast baffle on the RC/SB is pretty damn beefy and actually thicker than the NT4. And I've seen enough pictures of high round count RCs that used a 4 prong to not be too worried that erosion is going to be the final nail in the performance coffin. Basically, use whichever you prefer.

ETA: The only exception to the above might be the SFMB; the brake might indeed direct more blast against the walls. I don't know if it's any kind of significant concern as I don't have any experience shooting brakes with a can. If you're concerned about the baffle, I'd think the SFCT would be the best compromise - a more spread out blast that is easier on the baffle, yet still an effective flash hider without the downsides of a brake.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Concur with no buis with elcan.
Get that thing as far back as you can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Cagecode:
https://i.imgur.com/CyidTIS.jpg
View Quote
What color is that top rifle? Cerakote, Aervo, walmart special? Looks great
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:

View Quote
X2
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:

View Quote
It’s krylon khaki and aervo coyote. One coat of both at the same time. Khaki first and the coyote is used to darken it up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Big Tex Outdoors has FDE SOCOM556-RCs (yes, RCs not RC2s) for $750 after code SOCOM in cart.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#43]
Attachment Attached File

ETA- want to paint this upper, but don’t necessarily want to paint the ris ii. Well, I mean I want to paint to paint the ris ii,  just can’t commit. I usually have no problem paintin, but I’ve held back because this rail is the earlier lot no. marked rail that is also dated with my birthday. I think I’m gonna go for it when it stops raining.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Got it. Going to dump the BUIS when I get home tonight and give it a try.

With my C7 clone, I have my Elcan (different model, C79, but equally crappy eye relief) practically all the way back, but that's because it's a clone of my work rifle :)

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GOz6fI-9H4o/XSQbTaHClKI/AAAAAAAA45I/fpi2MOCmkbgCtVYC_c1qj_SU2wn8MAw2gCKgBGAs/s1600/P7087443.JPG

My Mk18 and CANSOFCOM clones are basically copies of someone else's setups, so I guess it makes sense that I may not find someone else's set up comfortable.
View Quote
Its not as bad as my ta01nsn but the elcan i run to where the end of the elcan eye piece overhangs the charging handle a bit.
I find it perfect for eye relief and head position and still being able to fondle the charging handle with monkey grip if I need to. Similar to your left elcan
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 7:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLAudio] [#45]
Any of you all in the market for a Surefire RC?

Big Tex Outdoors has FDE RC's in stock, use code "Socom" and they are 761.99 shipped. Killer deal!

@Dyzastr
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Big Tex Outdoors has FDE RC's in stock, use code "Socom" and they are 761.99 shipped. Killer deal!
View Quote
Dang! Too bad I just got a SB. Need to offset can purchases by more than a week lol.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Yeah, and dammit, dammit, dammit. No way I need to spend $961.99 (including stamp) right now - I gotta put a new roof on my house. And especially not for a can that, at this point, would mostly be just to have a spare. All the same, here I am... with one sitting in my cart, lol.

Hand number 1: money I don't really need to be spending right now; hand number 2: will I ever get a chance at an RC at this price again? What to do, what to do :\.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By krdt:

Yeah, and dammit, dammit, dammit. No way I need to spend $961.99 (including stamp) right now - I gotta put a new roof on my house. And especially not for a can that, at this point, would mostly be just to have a spare. All the same, here I am... with one sitting in my cart, lol.

Hand number 1: money I don't really need to be spending right now; hand number 2: will I ever get a chance at an RC at this price again? What to do, what to do :\.
View Quote
I couldn't bust out the CC quick enough, LOL.

You know you will regret seeing them go. just do it!

Every day i see you all posting RC's and I've regretted not FOing when AU had them on blowout. this is within a couple bucks of that price.

ugh now i have 2 SB's and 1 RC pending. first world problems.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#49]

@Dyzastr
View Quote
Iam Corncob shopping or I would hop on this!
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:48:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rothperson87] [#50]

@Dyzastr
View Quote
Damn it! I literally just sent off my paper work yesterday for my SB. If I call the NFA can I tell them not to accept it when it’s delivered? Can USPS cancel delivery?

ETA: USPS can intercept before it goes out for delivery. RC or SB?
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1242 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top