Link Posted: 4/27/2018 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
FF RAS build coming soon...plus some other things

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dafro:
Thanks! I bought it off the EE as that. Did some googling and it totally confused me. Thanks for clearing it up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Thanks to @krdt I now know that is a M952 (not to be mistaken with M952V)

The M952 is a Surefire M951 with tape switch, ARMS #17 mount, and the I.R. filter. (Essentially- as a kit its a M952, the light by itself standard is a M951)
Thanks! I bought it off the EE as that. Did some googling and it totally confused me. Thanks for clearing it up.
It is confusing with surefires 900 series. All 4 of these are m951 at different times in their production. Add an arms 17 mount, and all for become m952. As a kit with all the accessories these become m951xm07. XM = the tailcap and the 07=7", which is the length of the tape switch. Bottom one has an sw02 tailcap.

Add a km3 bezel and m93 qd latch and it becomes an m952v. (Tan one on the right.)
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JohnnySasaki20:
Okay, so newb question here that I should have known like 5 years ago,...but what's the clone correct sling? I've been using this stupid Magpul thing since forever, and I wanna get rid of these stupid endplates and swap them for the CQD's.

Also, just put a new upper together. Colt As Fuck upper, so no more dumbass DD markings on the side. Also, poopy stock.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260264/LRM_EXPORT_20180427_162348-527420.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260264/LRM_EXPORT_20180427_162536-527421.JPG

And I'm reverting back to the correct orientation for the CQD. I tried the reverse, but I don't think I like it.
View Quote
Your new stock sticks out like a sore thumb.  LOL.  Just teasing you.  Nice gun.   Not sure about the sling.  I feel like I see a plethora of sling types in GI pics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thinking of spraying this thing....
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:

It is confusing with surefires 900 series. All 4 of these are m951 at different times in their production. Add an arms 17 mount, and all for become m952. As a kit with all the accessories these become m951xm07. XM = the tailcap and the 07=7", which is the length of the tape switch. Bottom one has an sw02 tailcap.

http://i.imgur.com/GVjdEEN.jpg
Add a km3 bezel and m93 qd latch and it becomes an m952v. (Tan one on the right.)
http://i.imgur.com/poscpFd.jpg
View Quote
Great post. Super helpful.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Steinhatchee:
Thinking of spraying this thing....
https://i.imgur.com/lSd5gNk.jpg
View Quote
I like it as is. Don't see any black renditions and i think it looks amazing with the shade of that RIS II
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#7]

I like it as is. Don't see any black renditions and i think it looks amazing with the shade of that RIS II
View Quote
Well that settles it.  No spray... thanks Milspec
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Wait...what? Milspec saying to NOT spray paint something?

Had to go see if it was snowing outside here in Hell Paso.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

Right? Lol. If you think about it tho, all of the guns here are FDE, I think it’s cool to have an all black one. He just needs a black 553 and a black Colt waffle to seal the deal
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Nobody in the Block 1.5 thread has a crap fit about the slight differences in how you do the end of the barrel.   I mean c'mon....  You got 14.5" A2X FH's.  You got SBR's with a true 14.5" (probably not very many).  You got the double washers.  And like my M4gery barrel, you got the 14.7" with A2 pinned.  Then there is that, is there that little step before the FH at the end of the barrel.  Mine doesn't have it.  Oh well.  I don't think I'm planning on sending it back to ADCO just to have that little bit taken out.  But then again it's not even the right barrel overall.  It's a 1/9 SS HBar.    Oh, and that didn't even include the 16"ers.  Nobody gives anyone a tongue lashing for them.  So almost 2" and over here .2" is a huge issue.  

Now, do I think it's dumb if people want it to be as close as possible to the real thing.  Heck no.  I get it.  Attention to detail is just something people do.  That's cool.  But I mean, if I sent someone a 6920 barrel and told them to chop it to 10.3" to be a MK18 clone, and they sent it back and it was 10.5", I wouldn't even know the difference.  I mean sure, people can tell.   And I understand that claiming something is correct when it isn't, is just justifying.   But making a big deal out of it either way is just........  Over the top if you ask me.

My Colt A2 20" doesn't have a bayo lug.  But in some ways it's a lot closer than some peoples builds, even if they have a bayo lug.  I mean there are always going to be degrees.  And any clone is just that, a clone.  It's not the exact thing.  Most of you all are so far out of the park with your lowers, since it has no happy switch.  But nobody says boo about that.  And the guys that actually do have an FA lower aren't lording it over everyone else.  At least not that I've seen.
View Quote
Tread lightly there rabbit, based on the posts of a few people in this thread your red pill reality could critically endanger their ability to deal rationally with their disconcerted precarious emotional situation. Back away slowly and let them have their safe space.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Not 10.2, not 10.4....10.3!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#12]
Originally Posted By Spooled:
Not 10.2, not 10.4....10.3!!!!!
View Quote
I hope you like my Mk18 clone

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Where's @10point3 hiding these days? Haven't seen that dude around in a while.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#14]
So in other news, I visited Haley Strategic Partners in Scottsdale today because I wanted to pick up a set of their TH1RTE3N sights for my Glock 17 Gen 3 - which they installed at no charge BTW. Their showroom is awesome. There are two racks of fully decked out SBRs and rifles to pick up and fiddle with 'til your heart's content. There was even an MP5 clone. Most everything had laser/aiming devices, lights, optics, and a few had cans, and two had M203 type under barrel grenade launchers. There were at least three FDE RIS II rails - two on CQBR-ish clones and another on an M4 SOPMOD Block II-ish clone. Then they had a Mk18 just sitting in a vise in the gunsmith area. Also got to look through an Elcan Spectre for the first time. Super cool. My favorite part was cocking the grenade launchers (remember: extracting and cocking occur at the same time. As the grenadier opens the barrel assembly...never mind) and pulling the trigger. Because GIJoe. Talk about playing with something you only could dream of. The one in the pic is an LMT LMP somethin' or other. And KAC corn cob. Good grief, that place was awesome. "Hello Travis, can I come hang out with your guns next week? How does Tues from 2-4 pm sound?"

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#16]
Dayum!
Eta: looks like you had fun @AZ_SBR
eta-picture
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]

I hope you like my Mk18 clone

https://i.imgur.com/pOiumGp.jpg
View Quote
Ha!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I attempted to remove the hood on my 552 the other day, and one of the heads are stripped out. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I have replacement screws on hand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I attempted to remove the hood on my 552 the other day, and one of the heads are stripped out. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I have replacement screws on hand.
View Quote
Grind a flat head notch into it and unscrew with a flat head screw driver. If old hood gets cut with it, so be it.

Tig- yes I'm feeling ok lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:26:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#20]

Grind a flat head notch into it and unscrew with a flat head screw driver. If old hood gets cut with it, so be it.

Tig- yes I'm feeling ok lol
View Quote
That's the way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
Rubber band before you start cutting...

https://lifehacker.com/5462520/remove-a-stripped-screw-with-a-rubber-band
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By schaffer:

View All Quotes

My wife suggested that on a stripped screw on my bike (battery terminal screw) couldn't get it to work.  Resulted in much profanity.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#24]

My wife suggested that on a stripped screw on my bike (battery terminal screw) couldn't get it to work.  Resulted in much profanity.
View Quote
Never gotten the rubber band trick to work.

A LH drill bit will work, with a particularly fucked bolt head, or in the event the head snaps off.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

A LH drill bit will work, with a particularly fucked bolt head, or in the event the head snaps off.
View All Quotes

Ahh forgot about that one. Would be worth a shot before flat head route if you want to save the old hood Dyzastr
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes

Thanks to @krdt I now know that is a M952 (not to be mistaken with M952V)

The M952 is a Surefire M951 with tape switch, ARMS #17 mount, and the I.R. filter. (Essentially- as a kit its a M952, the light by itself standard is a M951)
Yeah, SF doesn't make their naming convention easy to understand sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:11:54 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

That's why you never take advice from the gf/wife in matters like that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Out of curiosity, what’s the consensus on the KAC grips at brownells? The same grip is listed twice, for $19.99 and $67.99...

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/vertical-grips/ar-15-forward-vertical-grip-prod117515.aspx
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:29:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SgtOsiris:
Out of curiosity, what’s the consensus on the KAC grips at brownells? The same grip is listed twice, for $19.99 and $67.99...

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/vertical-grips/ar-15-forward-vertical-grip-prod117515.aspx
View Quote
Cheap one says "military contractor overstock". Not sure I've ever seen a difference between a "civilian" and an "issued" one tough.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:32:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SgtOsiris:

View Quote
I bought one of the $19 ones.  Looks the same as any other one I've seen.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#31]
In that case, a few it is then. Probably not a bad piece to practice cutting down to stubby length before attempting that on my taupe
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:45:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#32]
I've seen the left hand drill bit done b4. I'll prob try the flat head slot first and if that fails, out comes the drill. What would I be rubber banding?
Edit- I see I have it backwards, try drill first, then flat head. I figured if I tried the bit first, that there wouldn't be much chance tryin anything else after that. Still, what's the rubber band for?

Eta: saw the link, misunderstood at first. Definitely gonna start there, then move onto the more invasive procedures
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Had the day off yesterday and spent some time fine tuning a couple optics. The new barrel shot really well. It's a 10.3" colt socom profile. I can't remember, are FN the only documented socom profile 10.3"?  The brass catcher makes for quick clean up and if I ever start to re-load I've got a nice supply of once fired brass.

Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:39:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tifosi] [#34]
Quick question on receiver extensions ... what would be correct for an early CQBR?
I know that Crane was using M16A1 lowers, obviously switched to a carbine buffer system, and sourcing the stocks from LMT.
Would it be safe to assume they were getting the extensions from LMT as well?

The reason I ask, is that I read somewhere that Colt never supplied more than a 4 position extension in .mil contracts (I assume that's to Big Army ??)
but it seems all the LMT ones are 6 position. Would an early Crane built CQBR (with M16 lower) have a 4 position Colt or a 6 position LMT? Thanks guys. You're a wealth of knowledge!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
FF RAS build coming soon...plus some other things

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414212/AA55C671-200F-4893-B835-9983A9CAEA14-527457.JPG
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Just curious as to what you guys think of this.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By iNeXile556:
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/1994905.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=C56E7E4EBD8E3C9242E27E9BD6B7CA84
View Quote
I'm curious to know what organization or agency this individual is with.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Had the day off yesterday and spent some time fine tuning a couple optics. The new barrel shot really well. It's a 10.3" colt socom profile. I can't remember, are FN the only documented socom profile 10.3"?  The brass catcher makes for quick clean up and if I ever start to re-load I've got a nice supply of once fired brass.

http://i.imgur.com/FCvqjgS.jpg
View Quote
As far as I've seen, only FN has a SOCOM profile 10.3" bbl.  All 10.3" Colts are Govt profile.

CD
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
Quick question on receiver extensions ... what would be correct for an early CQBR?
I know that Crane was using M16A1 lowers, obviously switched to a carbine buffer system, and sourcing the stocks from LMT.
Would it be safe to assume they were getting the extensions from LMT as well?

The reason I ask, is that I read somewhere that Colt never supplied more than a 4 position extension in .mil contracts (I assume that's to Big Army ??)
but it seems all the LMT ones are 6 position. Would an early Crane built CQBR (with M16 lower) have a 4 position Colt or a 6 position LMT? Thanks guys. You're a wealth of knowledge!
View Quote
Crane would have used standard M4/M4A1 USGI 4 position receiver extensions from whatever Govt contractor.  Here's one

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
3 x 10,3

Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: momus] [#41]
View All Quotes
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/1994905.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=C56E7E4EBD8E3C9242E27E9BD6B7CA84
JSOC early 03-04. Could be CAG based on helmet and ANVIS, but armor looks off. Most CAG guys were wearing OD Paraclete although tri color armor was around in small quantities. Possibly CCT or ST6.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
I honestly can't tell, (too stupid to know how to do high res)
Can't see where the barrel shoulder ends and the crush washer begins.  Also, were LMT receivers marked with laser etching back in this time frame? May be good to get a high res close up of that area as well
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Can't see where the barrel shoulder ends and the crush washer begins.  Also, were LMT receivers marked with laser etching back in this time frame? May be good to get a high res close up of that area as well
View Quote
I can only find one other instance of the image. It appears in June, 2006 in an earlier iteration of this thread (here), where- surprise- pepole argue about whether or not it is 10.5/LMT or not and no resolution is found lol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I can only find one other instance of the image. It appears in June, 2006 in an earlier iteration of this thread (here), where- surprise- pepole argue about whether or not it is 10.5/LMT or not and no resolution is found lol.
View All Quotes

Another CQBR "how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop" conundrum.

The world may never know.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

There is no doubt it is a 10.5" barrel. The question would only be is the guy military or contractor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#46]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#47]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Okay...flame if you must....

Why 10.3" vs .5"??? I assume that Crane specd the length and gas port size. But what advantage is there?
Barrels in the past have always been even or .5" increments.

I'm sure it's someplace in the last 1k pages, but I cannot find it.
View Quote
Shortest they could go with a bayo lug/KAC NT4 is I believe what the reason was. On the Brit version (made by Diemaco/Colt Canada) I think they did away with the bayo lug so they could use 10" barrels. Which makes sense, because the bayo lug is useless on a 10.anything

I believe the reason 10.5 exists (and existed first) was for half inch increments
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Edit: disregard.

Found out why 10.3 vs 10.5.
"It was found that 10.3 inches was the shortest the barrel could be for installing the KAC sound suppressor. "
View Quote
Good question. The only explanation I ever found was in this article.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1010 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top