Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 54 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AstraPat:
Bad news for me guys  Below is an email to BCM describing what occurred to my LMT upper 2 weeks ago. I have followed their advice as far as trying to contact LMT, but haven't heard anything thus far. I have not called them, just used the comments section on their 'Contact Us' page of website.

Having not heard from LMT via email, I am going to go ahead and call them tomorrow. Although, I believe I am going to have to eat this barrel

Might be a good excuse to go 10.3 this time instead of 10.5?

Hello,

I purchased an LMT 10.5" Upper Receiver Group from BCM on 12/18/12 order # 312513. This upper has approximately 500 rounds through it unsuppressed.

Yesterday I installed a CMMG .22 conversion kit in this 10.5 URG. I loaded a 25 round mag and shot 8-10 rounds through it when one of the .22's fired out of battery, exploding the bottom of the the case.

This exact scenario with the same .22 conversion kit occurred with a friends 16" carbine prior to mine, and we checked his bore for obstructions before shooting again. His bore was clear, and with my barrel being much shorter and not finding any obstructions in his, I didn't check mine for obstructions.

I cleared the ruptured .22 case from the chamber and continued firing the remaining 15 rounds of .22 LR without incident. I removed the .22 conversion and reinstalled my BCM BCG and fired 30 rounds of M855 without incident as well.

After returning home, I cleaned the URG and inspected the chamber and bore as I always do. This is when I noticed an "expanded ring" in the bore 1 1/4" on the chamber side of the gas port. It appears to be a pressure ring or bulge, and is very visible by looking down the muzzle end of the barrel. It also can be felt with a cleaning rod and patch.

I am sickened by this as I believe when the .22 fired out of battery, the bullet stopped in my barrel and I ended up firing another .22 behind it which slammed into the lodged bullet and created this expanded ring in the the bore.

This is the second LMT 10.5 URG I have ordered from BCM along with countless other parts and accessories. Your CS is the best in the the business and that is why I am coming to you first. Will you help me with this issue, or help me deal with LMT? I will be glad to send you the URG for inspection as well.

Attached are a few pictures depicting what I am talking about.

Thanks again and have a great Memorial Day,

Pat

Their response

Hi Pat,

Thank you for contacting us.  Unfortunately there is nothing we can
offer you in our house as this is not a BCM(r) product and several years
have elapsed since your purchase.  We advise you first, not to fire that
upper OR use that .22 conversion kit in ANY other weapon system.
Second, please contact LMT customer service at
http://www.lewismachine.net/contact.php and seek their assistance.  We
also recommend you contact CMMG at
http://www.cmmginc.com/Articles.asp?ID=250 given that the common
variable here is the installation of the .22 conversion kit.

Hopefully a remedy can be found in a timely matter for you.  Please
email us with any additional questions.

Thank you for your continued support of BCM(r)

<a href="http://s436.photobucket.com/user/astrapat/media/image_zps1aec54d9.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/astrapat/image_zps1aec54d9.jpeg</a>
<a href="http://s436.photobucket.com/user/astrapat/media/image-1_zpsb380dd5d.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/astrapat/image-1_zpsb380dd5d.jpeg</a>

Case on the left ruptured in my 10.5, The right in friends 16" PSA
<a href="http://s436.photobucket.com/user/astrapat/media/RupturedCase_zpscfc8ce00.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq82/astrapat/RupturedCase_zpscfc8ce00.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Good luck, but I doubt LMT will touch it & I'm not sure CMMG will either. Either way, could this have been an ammo issue?.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
OOB firing is relatively common with 22LR semi autos from what I gather.

I've been shooting my HK416 22LR before and had weird pops with a bunch of flame that comes out of the side. Must be OOB.

Anyways, it's been so long I'm not sure if any of these companies will touch it. Hopefully they do, but if not... might be a $150-300 mistake.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jBoy723] [#3]
Originally Posted By theARlife:

Is it just the lighting, or is that Elcan a more tan color?

The ones I typically see are more brown.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jBoy723:
Here's how it's been set up for a while. The other pics were before I bought the SU-230. Moved the tan EXPS over to another build a while ago. I know' you really can't see it but, it does have a taupe KAC front site.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/Gun%20Shit/9283CFA6-C38E-4BCB-AD17-07EB616A4B4F_zpsklzqvrco.jpg

Is it just the lighting, or is that Elcan a more tan color?

The ones I typically see are more brown.

It's definitely more tan than the darker brown ones that are more recent. I think it's an early Gen 2 with  Su-230 markings and wasn't an overrun. I got it from a guy who used to work for KAC and had it for testing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Good luck, but I doubt LMT will touch it & I'm not sure CMMG will either. Either way, could this have been an ammo issue?.
View Quote

Two different ammo types
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dysfunction:
OOB firing is relatively common with 22LR semi autos from what I gather.

I've been shooting my HK416 22LR before and had weird pops with a bunch of flame that comes out of the side. Must be OOB.

Anyways, it's been so long I'm not sure if any of these companies will touch it. Hopefully they do, but if not... might be a $150-300 mistake.
View Quote

Don't think they will either,  We'll see. Guess I'm going to look for a barrel to cut to 10.3, Poo
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
That sucks Pat. Come to the 10.3 side :) It's alot easier than 10.5 to shoot from under your sweater.........

IMG_3261 by splittiebus66, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: antman311] [#7]
Edited
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By antman311:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/antm4n311/20140605_125907.jpg

Anyone have a front CQD mount they'd like to sell used for cheap?
View Quote

why?  that one looks perfectly serviceable to me.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I used 550 cord to mod my guns before cool guy stuff was available, and stopped when i actually started to shoot them... turns out 550 cord is super awesome if you are into melting to your gun...

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my last set of cqd mounts from dsg arms
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never liked the paracord thing. I haven't ever given it a shot though either.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By smb980:
I got my last set of cqd mounts from dsg arms
View Quote

DSG Arms has them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:
turns out 550 cord is super awesome if you are into melting to your gun...
View Quote

This.

It's just ridiculous to pay $40 to have a little piece of metal shipped to me. I want to wait until I can pick up a used one off someone parting ways with theirs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AggiePhil] [#14]
I will be parting ways with mine in the near future but it might be a couple weeks. Switching to all QD setups on my guns. Gave the HK hook thing a shot for a year or two but in the end it's too bulky and too noisy for me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#15]

This.

It's just ridiculous to pay $40 to have a little piece of metal shipped to me. I want to wait until I can pick up a used one off someone parting ways with theirs.
View All Quotes

This.

It's like $26? I'd rather trust the metal than some 550 cord, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:It's like $26? I'd rather trust the metal than some 550 cord, but that's just me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tmender03:It's like $26? I'd rather trust the metal than some 550 cord, but that's just me.

From DSG after shipping it's $40 for me.

Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
I will be parting ways with mine in the near future but it might be a couple weeks. Switching to all QD setups on my guns. Gave the HK hook thing a shit for a year or two but in the end it's too bulky and too noisy for me.

Let me know when you do, I'd be very interested.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bg10] [#17]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

It's like $26? I'd rather trust the metal than some 550 cord, but that's just me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

This.

The 550 will melt if the barrel gets good and hot.

Eta: you'd be better off to wrap the cord around the outside of your rail than running it through the rail... where contact with the barrel is inevitable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bg10:Eta: you'd be better off to wrap the cord around the outside of your rail than running it through the rail... where contact with the barrel is inevitable.
View Quote

Yeah that's what I ended up doing after I realized the same thing.

I usually don't run high or fast round counts at the range so it should suffice for now. But I'm definitely on the hunt for a used CQD mount if anyone is getting rid of theirs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
I will be parting ways with mine in the near future but it might be a couple weeks. Switching to all QD setups on my guns. Gave the HK hook thing a shit for a year or two but in the end it's too bulky and too noisy for me.
View Quote

I thought about it, but of the three slings I have, 2 1/2 of them have hooks (MS2, VTAC with 1 HK Hook, CQD Dieter).
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#20]
If anyone is looking for a good deal on LMT stocks:

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/catalog/category/view/s/current-specials/id/123/

$95 for gen 1 and 2 in black.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought the gen 1.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Splittiebus66:
That sucks Pat. Come to the 10.3 side :) It's alot easier than 10.5 to shoot from under your sweater.........

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/nRUReY" target="_blank">https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/14348311902_31cf3c381a_b.jpg</a>IMG_3261 by splittiebus66, on Flickr
View Quote

I understood that reference!

(that song pounds on a good set of subwoofers btw)
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#23]

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/catalog/category/view/s/current-specials/id/123/

View Quote

Thank god they were sold out when I checked. I picked up another B5 SOPMOD last week that was on sale. It's just hanging out in my dresser right next to another one. Don't need a reason to buy another one
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]

I usually don't run high or fast round counts at the range so it should suffice for now. But I'm definitely on the hunt for a used CQD mount if anyone is getting rid of theirs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bg10:Eta: you'd be better off to wrap the cord around the outside of your rail than running it through the rail... where contact with the barrel is inevitable.

My first experience was modifying sling on a M249 I was carrying thinking I was super smart (the front adapter to the sling was busted) until I put 100 rounds through pretty quick, I picked it back up and was like "oops.... fuck" that sweet sickly smell of melted para cord all over the barrel... took forever to get it off... thought I would be okay on an M4 but that got hot enough as well. Im smarter now and actually get the right tools for the right job these days...
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]

My first experience was modifying sling on a M249 I was carrying thinking I was super smart (the front adapter to the sling was busted) until I put 100 rounds through pretty quick, I picked it back up and was like "oops.... fuck" that sweet sickly smell of melted para cord all over the barrel... took forever to get it off... thought I would be okay on an M4 but that got hot enough as well. Im smarter now and actually get the right tools for the right job these days...
View All Quotes

The barrel will get hotter than you'd think even with moderate firing. I melted through an issue sling that was laying on the FSP of my M4 after about a mag and a half
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Thank god they were sold out when I checked. I picked up another B5 SOPMOD last week that was on sale. It's just hanging out in my dresser right next to another one. Don't need a reason to buy another one
View All Quotes

I have no use for one either but they were still in stock when I clicked on it so I bought one
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#27]
it took 11 months but the AAC Mini-4 finally cleared... had to go to hell and back to pick her up... was pissed about it but once I handled it, I didn't care anymore. This little guy is sick, quiet for its size and weight, and is right at home on the MK18... I decided to move my 553 to my block II build and black out the mk18, and couldn't stand the A2 grip anymore and threw the MIAD back on... also removed my scout light for a Surefire Fury 500 lumen... holy cow does it knock the socks off of the scout 200 lumen...great little shooter... action shots to come with the mini 4, my camera died at the range but I got one in with it on my Block II non FSP forgery, and before you guys throw me flak on the primary arms optic, I wanted to see what a poor mans ACOG ECOS was like, and for the money, if you want to try it out, its actually a great budget optic if you don't want to spend the 1300 on the acog for a range gat... more pics next week... there aren't enough Mini-4 pics, but it looks like everyone that got one is waiting for their stamp to clear. I will be snagging a surefire SOCOM when I get the chance though...

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TSegler:

I have no use for one either but they were still in stock when I clicked on it so I bought one
View All Quotes

Trade ya for a FDE B5
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Guys I just installed a SF FH215A flash hider on my MK18 and have a question. I have the 212 and MB on other rifles, and this hider is much different. Does the suppressor index between the prongs or on the grove located on the prongs? By looking at my MB it would seem that it would index on the grove located on the prong but I can only get the suppressor to attach when I index it between the prongs???

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Guys I have been going back and forth between a cqbr and mod 0 upper. I have the money and my form 1 should be approved this week.
I really like the look of a mod 0 with a SU-231 but I feel like I'll be disappointed if I don't get the Daniel defense mk18 upper......gahhhhh I've been going crazy the last 3 days
$538 for the lmt
$929 for the Daniel defense
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bwhited:
Guys I just installed a SF FH215A flash hider on my MK18 and have a question. I have the 212 and MB on other rifles, and this hider is much different. Does the suppressor index between the prongs or on the grove located on the prongs? By looking at my MB it would seem that it would index on the grove located on the prong but I can only get the suppressor to attach when I index it between the prongs???

http://s27.postimg.org/4ax8d4vwz/SF_FH556_215_A_2.jpg
View Quote

Is there not a notch at the 6 o'clock position that goes further back than the cutout in the prongs?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
I bought the gen 1.
View Quote

I bought the other Gen. 1
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude] [#33]

Is there not a notch at the 6 o'clock position that goes further back than the cutout in the prongs?
View All Quotes

Nope. What ya see is what ya get. Its 4 prong.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

That must be the way it's supposed to go then. Guess it would make manufacturing easier as they wouldn't have to tool up to create the additional notch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#35]

That must be the way it's supposed to go then. Guess it would make manufacturing easier as they wouldn't have to tool up to create the additional notch.
View All Quotes

It just seems odd to me that the brake has the little grove at the 6 position that is on  the prongs. It has to index on this grove on the brake but I cant get it to index on the grove in the prongs for nothing. I guess it really dosent matter as long as the ratchet clamps down which it does when I index it on the slot rather than the groves.... Was just hoping someone with some experience on the 215A could clarify. Thanks though squierell.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#36]

View All Quotes

The suppressor indexes between any of the grooves. Since you can index on all 4 prongs it is not necessary to index the flash hider to be at 6 o clock. However a SOCOM suppressor will not be able to index on anything on old legacy mounts and will rotate freely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#37]

It just seems odd to me that the brake has the little grove at the 6 position that is on  the prongs. It has to index on this grove on the brake but I cant get it to index on the grove in the prongs for nothing. I guess it really dosent matter as long as the ratchet clamps down which it does when I index it on the slot rather than the groves.... Was just hoping someone with some experience on the 215A could clarify. Thanks though squierell.
View All Quotes

Glad I could somewhat help. Give them (SF) a ring in the AM and see what they've got to say.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:15:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ihcnehc] [#38]

Originally Posted By patriot_man:
The suppressor indexes between any of the grooves. Since you can index on all 4 prongs it is not necessary to index the flash hider to be at 6 o clock. However a SOCOM suppressor will not be able to index on anything on old legacy mounts and will rotate freely.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
SNIP...

Not personal, but BS gets repeated over and over on the internet.

Here is a picture of SF3P-556 and FH556-RC side by side.  Notice the index/intercept notch and the prong at 6 o'clock, so when properly indexed, gas does not blow up dust.

That indexing notch mates with the groove inside the can (picture courtesy of JShepard):

Here is the installation instruction:

And if this is still not enough, here is the youtube video instruction from the man himself, Barry Dueck, Director of SureFire's Suppressor Division:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWzs9JA4U4w

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Trade ya for a FDE B5
View All Quotes

Trade ya for a FDE B5

I came really close to buying one of those too but I convinced myself I didn't need it. Just couldn't pass up this one though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hatexoc:
Guys I have been going back and forth between a cqbr and mod 0 upper. I have the money and my form 1 should be approved this week.
I really like the look of a mod 0 with a SU-231 but I feel like I'll be disappointed if I don't get the Daniel defense mk18 upper......gahhhhh I've been going crazy the last 3 days
$538 for the lmt
View Quote

Same here I cannot decide if I want to build this

or this

I'm leaning towards the mod 0 though.. (Photos out of this thread)
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#41]
How does a Surefire SOCOM-RC interact with the 3-prong since the four ports on the suppressor don't line up with the flash hider? Is it healthier to run the 4-prong vs. the 3-prong when running the SOCOM-RC?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ihcnehc:

Here is a picture of SF3P-556 and FH556-RC side by side.  Notice the index/intercept notch and the prong at 6 o'clock, so when properly indexed, gas does not blow up dust.
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2013-AUG-23%20SureFire%20Stuff/IMG_4827_zpsaed4e55e.jpg

That indexing notch mates with the groove inside the can (picture courtesy of JShepard):
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2013-AUG-23%20SureFire%20Stuff/surefire_socom_rc_zpsbc276ab5.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/nimslow/SurefireWheel.jpg

And if this is still not enough, here is the youtube video instruction from the man himself, Barry Dueck, Director of SureFire's Suppressor Division:
LINK

View Quote

Not personal, buuuuut... You do know that they are not talking about the RC cans and muzzle devices that you have pictured, right?

They're talking about the older 212 cans that do, in fact, index off the front of the muzzle device, not the rear like the new cans.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:38:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ihcnehc] [#43]

Originally Posted By Will816:
Not personal, buuuuut... You do know that they are not talking about the RC cans and muzzle devices that you have pictured, right?
They're talking about the older 212 cans that do, in fact, index off the front of the muzzle device, not the rear like the new cans.
View All Quotes

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2013-AUG-23%20SureFire%20Stuff/IMG_4827_zpsaed4e55e.jpg

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ihcnehc/2013-AUG-23%20SureFire%20Stuff/surefire_socom_rc_zpsbc276ab5.jpg

LINK

Not personal, buuuuuuuuut... the instruction applies to legacy muzzle devices as well (notice the install instruction dated 2004).  For the record, for open prong FHs, 3-p or 4-p, if one of the prongs is indexed at 6 o'clock, given their apparent symmetry, will most likely perform as it was indexed as outlined in the install instructions.  Either way, one prong still needs to be indexed at correct direction, and thus an effort made, to function as designed, as opposed to just randomly torqued on.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Not personal, buuuuuuuuut... the instruction applies to legacy muzzle devices as well (notice the install instruction dated 2004).  For the record, for open prong FHs, 3-p or 4-p, if one of the prongs is indexed at 6 o'clock, given their apparent symmetry, will most likely perform as it was indexed as outlined in the install instructions.  Either way, one prong still needs to be indexed at correct direction, and thus an effort made, to function as designed, as opposed to just randomly torqued on.

View All Quotes

LINK

I wasn't talking about the installation instruction, I was talking about how it indexes. They were talking about the older cans, not the new ones, like you were. That's all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:51:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#45]

LINK

View Quote

What you're referencing in the video is the FH556-212a which needs to be indexed as it only has one indexing point at the 6 o'clock position and your photos show the new mounting design of the Surefire SOCOMs which once again has only one indexing point at the 6 o'clock. Both of the mounts you mention require timing.

I got my information regarding the FH556-215A not needing to be indexed from the suppressor division at SF as you can index at 4 points instead of the usual single index point found on previous legacy mounts.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#46]
It's nice to see people having technical conversations about a different topic than gas port sizes around here.

It's gotta be a first since this new thread's inception.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#47]
IMG_3258 by splittiebus66, on Flickr

Hey by the way I figured we'd end the endless Gas Port issue once and for all.

I'm putting together a chart to reference commercial Mk18/CQBR gas port sizes . Everybody if you could remove your FSB's or Gas blocks and have the info ( make, model, current gas port size,  rounds fired, chicks picked up with, sub moa days etc. ) in my IM within the next 3 business days I'll compile it and post. I have the cover complete

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Lol.

The whole gas port size conversations were highly amusing though.

The guys in here knocking larger gas ports on 10.3" barrels were made up of a lot of the same guys who in the Block II thread have knocked 14.5" mids for being more picky with ammo.

The irony was certainly amusing.

14.5" carbines are likely to be more reliable with a wider variety of different ammo and adverse weather conditions than 14.5" mids. So 14.5" carbines were the way to go.

All while 10.3" DD barrels with larger gas ports are likely to be more reliable with a wider variety of different ammo and adverse weather conditions than say 10.3" Colt barrels, but for some reason, it's the other way around in that scenario.

Yes, the irony sure is amusing.

And no need to start the whole wicked 223/5.56 recoil difference between the two. The same point is relevant between a 14.5" carbine and 14.5" mid.

The common denominator in their logic just happens to be Colt. I'm sure most have long known that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By DeputySteel:

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/DeputySteel/1339382763_zps09726bb8.jpg

or this

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/DeputySteel/photo_zpsddae74ec.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeputySteel:

Originally Posted By hatexoc:

$538 for the lmt

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/DeputySteel/1339382763_zps09726bb8.jpg

or this

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/DeputySteel/photo_zpsddae74ec.jpg

The obvious answer is both. That's what I plan on doing.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:14:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cmcflex] [#50]
Lol.

The whole gas port size conversations were highly amusing though.

The guys in here knocking larger gas ports on 10.3" barrels were made up of a lot of the same guys who in the Block II thread have knocked 14.5" mids for being more picky with ammo.

The irony was certainly amusing.

No, the "amusing" irony is this (these) is (are) a clone thread(s), where middies don't really have a place.

14.5" carbines are likely to be more reliable with a wider variety of different ammo and adverse weather conditions than 14.5" mids. So 14.5" carbines were the way to go.

All while 10.3" DD barrels with larger gas ports are likely to be more reliable with a wider variety of different ammo and adverse weather conditions than say 10.3" Colt barrels, but for some reason, it's the other way around in that scenario.

Yes, the irony sure is amusing.

By "reliability" do you mean "gun will cycle"? If so, then sure. But I look at reliability as stability of the whole system. An over-gassed gun will apply additional stressors on other critical parts, such as the bolt, extractor, cam pin, recoil spring, and probably all the way down to trigger pins. Sure, the over-gassed gun may cycle, but it will be cycling way too fast, beating to death the rest of the gun in the process. This means that an over-gassed gun will require more maintenance and replacement of worn parts with a greater frequency.

You can call me a clone whore or whatever. But I rely on TDP parts because the tolerances are consistent and there is a ton of research on these weapons that led to their current development. This is one (perhaps not the only) reason why Ken Elmore, for instance, will only work on Colt parts and why I trust his 10.3" barrels over all other commercially available options for the AR-15. Sticking with such parts and using military-spec ammunition should provide for relatively consistent and smooth functioning firearm.

All that aside, this is a clone thread where people (not all, mind you) are trying to get an identical gun as what's issued.

And no need to start the whole wicked 223/5.56 recoil difference between the two. The same point is relevant between a 14.5" carbine and 14.5" mid.

Is that coming from your gut, or is that fact-based? Anyway, who gives a shit about middies? It ain't this guy.

The common denominator in their logic just happens to be Colt. I'm sure most have long known that.

Again, it's a clone thread. Also, see my previous point regarding the Colt Whisperer's policy of only working on Colt guns. It's all about consistency in tolerances...

View Quote

Fahking '14er....

ETA: From Ken's FAQs (http://www.specializedarmament.com/pages/2010_RP.html):

Q: Can the Reliability Package upgrades be performed on my Non-Colt “AR” style carbine?

A: No. The lack of consistency in production and the use of parts that are not military grade make these “AR” platforms substantially different. Yes, we tried it and the results did not live up to our SA standards for quality and performance.

I understand that, to some degree, he's a salesman. But is point his makes good sense.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 54 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top