AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 889 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
going down tomorrow to do the paperwork on a factory dd mk18....this is gonna be a long wait
View Quote
Buy a Colt lower to SBR and one of the DD mk18 uppers from Brownells. Much better clonage
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
For all you guys who have used a 80% "Colt" lower (ala Braceman) for your SBR, what do i need to have additionally/differently engraved to ensure that the lower is GTG when i go ahead and register it.

It will obviously have the cal/serial on it, do I just need to have it say my name/location as manufacturer instead of "colt/hartford ct"?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Buy a Colt lower to SBR and one of the DD mk18 uppers from Brownells. Much better clonage
View Quote
Not gonna be doing a clone really, just always wanted a and and figured I'd go with the mk18. It'll be wearing a surefire Socom 556 at least
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Not gonna be doing a clone really, just always wanted a and and figured I'd go with the mk18. It'll be wearing a surefire Socom 556 at least
View Quote
Not gonna build a clone?! What manner of blasphemy is this?! Long live the Clone Party! Long live our glorious CQBR Republic!

*Takes jormungandr aside, whispers conspiratorially* Be careful my friend, such loose talk can be dangerous. One can be sent to the CQBR Re-education Camps for the wrong BUIS; many are never heard from again. I carry this cyanide capsule in case I'm caught with a 10.5 barrel instead of a 10.3. One can never be too careful... the Clone Party has ears everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By krdt:

Not gonna build a clone?! What manner of blasphemy is this?! Long live the Clone Party! Long live our glorious CQBR Republic!

*Takes jormungandr aside, whispers conspiratorially* Be careful my friend, such loose talk can be dangerous. One can be sent to the CQBR Re-education Camps for the wrong BUIS; many are never heard from again. I carry this cyanide capsule in case I'm caught with a 10.5 barrel instead of a 10.3. One can never be too careful... the Clone Party has ears everywhere.
View Quote
ha!

the current plan for the gun is a sopmod stock, bcm grip, geissele ssae, aimpoint t2 micro, KAC buis, surefire light idk which model yet, surefire warcomp and the 556 rc2.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:38:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#6]

ha!

the current plan for the gun is a sopmod stock, bcm grip, geissele ssae, aimpoint t2 micro, KAC buis, surefire light idk which model yet, surefire warcomp and the 556 rc2.
View Quote
If you're planning on swapping the stock, grip, FH and trigger I'd get a stripped lower/Mk18 upper from Brownells instead of the full Mk18 SBR from DD. Toss a Colt or DD LPK minus FCG in it and you're GTG. That way you're not paying for a bunch of shit that you won't use and it saves the hassle of reselling the parts at a loss. Plus, you can slap a brace on it and play with it while you wait on the whims of the federal bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]

If you're planning on swapping the stock, grip, FH and trigger I'd get a stripped lower/Mk18 upper from Brownells instead of the full Mk18 SBR from DD. Toss a Colt or DD LPK minus FCG in it and you're GTG. That way you're not paying for a bunch of shit that you won't use and it saves the hassle of reselling the parts at a loss. Plus, you can slap a brace on it and play with it while you wait on the whims of the federal bureaucracy.
View Quote
Bingo.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
300BLK CQBR

Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:23:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Munzy] [#9]
If anyone is looking for a mk18 fsp cutout RIS II there's one in the Facebook group 'Cool Guy Gear' for a meager sum of $1350

In reference to my sig line

(edit because I have fat thumbs for an iphone)
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By drago6:
For all you guys who have used a 80% "Colt" lower (ala Braceman) for your SBR, what do i need to have additionally/differently engraved to ensure that the lower is GTG when i go ahead and register it.

It will obviously have the cal/serial on it, do I just need to have it say my name/location as manufacturer instead of "colt/hartford ct"?
View Quote
You can still have the "colt/hartford" stuff, but you'll still need your name and city/state. I had braceman do it inside the trigger and you'd never know it's there unless you went looking for it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
this ^ . i dont like my DD lower, and the stupid billboard upper. it really cheapens it, thank god for sparypaint.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Dumb Question. How much on a steel ruler is 10.5 shorter than 10.3 ? 1/4 Inch or longer? Please don't laugh at me or say Smart Ass remarks. I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
I have a Dumb Question. How much on a steel ruler is 10.5 shorter than 10.3 ? 1/4 Inch or longer? Please don't laugh at me or say Smart Ass remarks. I don't know.
View Quote
Half a centimeter or just under a quarter inch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#14]
That is what I thought it was it 1/4 of a Inch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#15]
A quarter inch is .250 inches, the difference between the two barrels is .200.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lueds24:
A quarter inch is .250 inches, the difference between the two barrels is .200.
View Quote
It's actually closer to 1/8" difference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
It's 1/5".
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:15:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#18]
Originally Posted By Logrus:
It's 1/5".
View Quote
If 10.5" barrels actually measure 10.5", it's about 1/8" difference at the shoulder before the threads. Of course, 10.5" barrels could be 10.625" for all I know, never owned one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Well....it IS closer to a quarter inch than an eighth inch.  10.5 - 10.3 is .2.   Quarter inch is .250, or fifty thou difference. An eighth inch is .125, or .075 less than .200.   Therefor, it is closer to a quarter inch difference than it is an eighth inch.
In reality, it is closer to 3/16, or .187 on a ruler or tape measure.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Stoner25mkiv:
Well....it IS closer to a quarter inch than an eighth inch.  10.5 - 10.3 is .2.   Quarter inch is .250, or fifty thou difference. An eighth inch is .125, or .075 less than .200.   Therefor, it is closer to a quarter inch difference than it is an eighth inch.
View Quote
My point is that it's not exactly .200" difference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#21]
Originally Posted By White_knight:

this ^ . i dont like my DD lower, and the stupid billboard upper. it really cheapens it, thank god for sparypaint.
View Quote
I'd trade a you COLT M4 complete lower but damnit, yoru in CDN! :D

Need a DD lower for a non-Clone project.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#22]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
View Quote
If you're trying to arrive at where to mark for a 10.3 length, I think your better method is to measure from the FSB shoulder, or the last step down forward as discussed on the previous page. Since you don't know for 100% certain the barrel is exactly 10.5, I'd think measuring backward from the end would be kind of hit or miss. Going by pezboytate's other diagram, measuring from the FSB shoulder forward to crown should be 2.85", or from the FSB shoulder to the shoulder at the beginning of the threads on a 10.3 should be exactly 2.25" (2.85 - .60). Measuring from the FSB shoulder forward to the thread shoulder on my Noveske 10.5 is 2.5". So, in this case it'd be exactly 1/4".

Assuming the thread length of this Noveske is also .60, I guess that means my 10.5 is actually closer to 10.6 :\.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: White_knight] [#23]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
I'd trade a you COLT M4 complete lower but damnit, yoru in CDN! :D

Need a DD lower for a non-Clone project.
View Quote
...>_<  i would have done that in a heartbeat. dammit. stupid laws and registration and itar BS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By White_knight:

View Quote
what dont you like about the DD lower?

i agree about the upper, the 5.56 bullet and MK18 on the side looks dumb.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#25]

what dont you like about the DD lower?

i agree about the upper, the 5.56 bullet and MK18 on the side looks dumb.
View Quote
the upper is the by far the worse offender. when i got the complete rifle i had no intention of getting into the clone life, now however the non colt markings bug me and the shiny satin finish that they apply compared to a colt doesn't help. its like i got Jane Levy but i want Emma stone, look the same but not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I put the T1 on for a photo for a buddy and now I think I like it better than the FDE EXPS3 that was on it.... ugh

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
going down tomorrow to do the paperwork on a factory dd mk18....this is gonna be a long wait
Yep.

I even got a hold of a DD lower during the 2008 0bama panic.

I though about putting my DD URG on it for a complete DD CQBR...and then decided WTF, that's not right...and I used the DD lower for something else.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Just delightful.

Continue with the pic thread

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#30]
any good source for stripped colt lowers besides gunbroker?

also which roll mark should i go for? m4 carbine or le6920?

gonna build a mk18 pistol to use until my factory one comes in, form 1 gonna go in for this one so ill have 2 eventually.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]
My DD Mk18 stripped upper should arrive from Brownells today, woo! I've been doing my version of that "Track Santa" thing that NORAD does every year, only it's "Track The Mk18 Upper." Debating on whether to break out the rattle cans and laundry bag on the Mod 0 in the meantime, but it's scary business. I'm skeered. I need to man up goddammit... or at the very least, get liquored up. Still haven't decided if I'm going to just keep the Noveske 10.5 until it's worn out and then get a 10.3 for it, or just do it now. That .2 inches, I swear. It eats at you. When I was buying it I was thinking, "It's .2 inches, what is the difference?" Oh, what a sweet summer child I was; now it's starting to look like 2 feet.

ETA: The DD Mk18 upper came in from Brownells. Gotta say, it's pretty damn snazzy. Just one thing that is a bit irritating; it has two small gouges at the front of the Mk18 RIS II. Not even sure how they got there, as they are on the inside edge. Sure, I use my guns and they will eventually get nicked and scratched, I just prefer to put those marks there myself. Not really enough to send it back, but they should at least offer me a discount. I bought a "new" product, after all; the RIS II is verging on being a blem. It comes with a plastic ejection port cover as well, which is kind of meh. Expected a standard milspec cover. They also forgot to put in the crush washer I ordered :\. Overall, still happy.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/DD.Mk18/mk18.urg-01.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/DD.Mk18/mk18.urg-02.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/DD.Mk18/mk18.urg-04.jpg
View Quote
i just ordered one of these. anyone know what colt dust cover is the right one? there is like 5 on brownells
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By burn4glock:
i just ordered one of these. anyone know what colt dust cover is the right one? there is like 5 on brownells
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burn4glock:
My DD Mk18 stripped upper should arrive from Brownells today, woo! I've been doing my version of that "Track Santa" thing that NORAD does every year, only it's "Track The Mk18 Upper." Debating on whether to break out the rattle cans and laundry bag on the Mod 0 in the meantime, but it's scary business. I'm skeered. I need to man up goddammit... or at the very least, get liquored up. Still haven't decided if I'm going to just keep the Noveske 10.5 until it's worn out and then get a 10.3 for it, or just do it now. That .2 inches, I swear. It eats at you. When I was buying it I was thinking, "It's .2 inches, what is the difference?" Oh, what a sweet summer child I was; now it's starting to look like 2 feet.

ETA: The DD Mk18 upper came in from Brownells. Gotta say, it's pretty damn snazzy. Just one thing that is a bit irritating; it has two small gouges at the front of the Mk18 RIS II. Not even sure how they got there, as they are on the inside edge. Sure, I use my guns and they will eventually get nicked and scratched, I just prefer to put those marks there myself. Not really enough to send it back, but they should at least offer me a discount. I bought a "new" product, after all; the RIS II is verging on being a blem. It comes with a plastic ejection port cover as well, which is kind of meh. Expected a standard milspec cover. They also forgot to put in the crush washer I ordered :\. Overall, still happy.

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/DD.Mk18/mk18.urg-01.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/DD.Mk18/mk18.urg-02.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/DD.Mk18/mk18.urg-04.jpg
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j2mjb5cgnc00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Fejection-port-cover-parts%2Fejection-port-covers%2Far15a4-ejection-port-cover-assembly-prod4784.aspx
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Stoner25mkiv:
View Quote
You should have used "mils" just to make the conversation more interesting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#34]

gonna build a mk18 pistol to use until my factory one comes in, form 1 gonna go in for this one so ill have 2 eventually.
View Quote
M4A1 CARBINE.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:09:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Awesome thread guys, very inspiring! I have a Strike Fighter 10.3 barrel that was shipped out today and was planning to just do a MK18 inspired build, but now I'm actually tempted by the clone lifestyle here. EPIC thread!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
Awesome thread guys, very inspiring! I have a Strike Fighter 10.3 barrel that was shipped out today and was planning to just do a MK18 inspired build, but now I'm actually tempted by the clone lifestyle here. EPIC thread!
View Quote
Hope you have a good job or like Ramen noodles!
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Well at the moment I'm contracting in Afghanistan, problem is I have 2 other builds planned for when I return state side.., one being an AR10
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Were any MK18/CQBR rifles select fire?
Building one probably this summer on an 07/SOT and would like to know if that would be clone correct or not.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SilenceThis:
Building one probably this summer on an 07/SOT and would like to know if that would be clone correct or not.
View Quote
They were all safe/semi/auto as far as I know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

View Quote
Then Safe/semi/auto it shall be.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#41]

View Quote
As far as where to get Colt stripped lowers with the right markings; it's kind of tough. SA has them, but at the usual SA prices.

http://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-lower-receivers-parts/colt-lower-receiver-%E2%80%94-m4-carbine-1/
http://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-lower-receivers-parts/colt-lower-receiver-%E2%80%94-m4-carbine-2/

Those are the "M4 Carbine" marked lowers, which are probably the only type of Colt stripped lowers you're going to find with remotely correct markings. There are a few others who occasionally have the "M4 Carbine" stripped lowers in stock, like G&R Tactical. ArmsUnlimited has some Colt "Piston Carbine" marked lowers, but who wants that? The more desirable "M4A1 Carbine" marked LE6920 Socom lowers are probably all going to be factory rifle take-offs. I don't think they were ever offered as a stripped lower alone, but I could be wrong. Be careful if you're buying from Gunbroker to build a pistol (or anywhere for that matter); make sure they aren't take-offs from a factory rifle. On a related note, you want to make sure your FFL marks it as "Other" on the 4473 and not "Rifle" by accident. You can build pistol to rifle to pistol, but you can't go rifle to pistol... more idiotic intricacies from the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#42]

As far as where to get Colt stripped lowers with the right markings; it's kind of tough. SA has them, but at the usual SA prices.

http://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-lower-receivers-parts/colt-lower-receiver-%E2%80%94-m4-carbine-1/
http://www.specializedarmament.com/ar-15-lower-receivers-parts/colt-lower-receiver-%E2%80%94-m4-carbine-2/

Those are the "M4 Carbine" marked lowers, which are probably the only type of Colt stripped lowers you're going to find with remotely correct markings. There are a few others who occasionally have the "M4 Carbine" stripped lowers in stock, like G&R Tactical. ArmsUnlimited has some Colt "Piston Carbine" marked lowers, but who wants that? The more desirable "M4A1 Carbine" marked LE6920 Socom lowers are probably all going to be factory rifle take-offs. I don't think they were ever offered as a stripped lower alone, but I could be wrong. Be careful if you're buying from Gunbroker to build a pistol (or anywhere for that matter); make sure they aren't take-offs from a factory rifle. On a related note, you want to make sure your FFL marks it as "Other" on the 4473 and not "Rifle" by accident. You can build pistol to rifle to pistol, but you can't go rifle to pistol... more idiotic intricacies from the ATF.
View Quote
thanks.

I was looking at this one -  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/646083322

look legit or should i go for a different one?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Yes. The only non select fire CQBRs I've ever seen here were those guns recently posted with MBUS sights and who I assumed was USCG.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#44]

thanks.

I was looking at this one -  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/646083322

look legit or should i go for a different one?
View Quote
Price seems more or less in line with what those are going for (around $250, give or take). You can find stripped Colt lowers without the M4 markings for about $150, but it is what it is. I would just verify with the seller that it was never assembled before bidding and you're probably GTG.

ETA: Not sure what is going on with the take down pin hole in this picture. Looks almost marred or irregular. Could just be the light. Might want to ask for another photo, cause it looks a little wonky to me.

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Price seems more or less in line with what those are going for (around $250, give or take). You can find stripped Colt lowers without the M4 markings for about $150, but it is what it is. I would just verify with the seller that it was never assembled before bidding and you're probably GTG.

ETA: Not sure what is going on with the take down pin hole in this picture. Looks almost marred or irregular. Could just be the light. Might want to ask for another photo, cause it looks a little wonky to me.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/646083000/646083322/pix133463072.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a reflection to me. Looks like they oiled the shit out of it for the pics.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Love those gold-ish anodized SFs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:06:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#48]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Looks like a reflection to me. Looks like they oiled the shit out of it for the pics.
View Quote
Yeah, could be the light and the fact that thing is oiled up like its trying out for a role in Magic Mike: Black Rifle Edition :\. Brings new meaning to the phrase, "stripped lower receiver."
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Started this stripped lower as a clone and it ended up as a pistola....really liked it for a clone due to the "semi" instead of "fire" and having intact selector stops but , the rollmark wasn't correct, ( Ambush ). It's posted in it's finished form in the ar pistol forum. I still plan to do a clone for this thread but it'll be a bit until more parts come in.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Any?

ALL!
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 889 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top