Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2014 5:59:35 PM EDT
Took the new build to the range today. Inserted the mag, charged the rifle, found my target and "click". I extracted the round manually and looked at the primer. It had a very very light mark on it. I re-chambered a new round and got the same result. "Click". I was puzzled. All springs, etc were correctly installed for the trigger, the bcg was properly put back together, barrel torqued correct, etc.

I called upon an older AR fellow next to me for help. He politely came over and asked to take down the rifle. I agreed. Once he opened the rifle he said "Too much oil". The only place I had oiled with CLP was the bcg and charging handle area to prevent any wear about 3-4 days prior. He took a cloth and wiped everything off, including the feed ramps and what he could get of the barrel. He put it all back together and "BANG". Never had another failure to fire the rest of the day. Glad he got it working, but geez.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Oil had nothing to do with it.  Something wasn't put together right.  Reassembling it fixed it not the oil.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds odd, would have been nice to see some pictures of how much lube was used though. My AR is always quite wet and have not experienced this or any FTF FTE issues running it that way.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That is strange...

Some new parts have some sort of thick preservative on them. My new CMMG bolt carrier group had some sort of thin sludge that I tried to wipe off with Hoppe's #9 and then lube up with CLP. A little more shows up that I promptly clean off after every outing. 3rd time out and it's starting to quit.

ETA:

Quoted:
Oil had nothing to do with it.  Something wasn't put together right.  Reassembling it fixed it not the oil.  
View Quote

This is also a possibility. Maybe you did not insert the firing pin correctly and the retaining pin was blocking the FP from moving all the way forward?

Maybe when your friend came over to inspect it y'all got it together correctly...
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
3rd time's the charm?

I run my SBRs so wet, the first two rounds look like a whale spout. My guess is a bad primer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3rd time's the charm?

I run my SBRs so wet, the first two rounds look like a whale spout. My guess is a bad primer.
View Quote

He did chamber another round, with no avail.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I run all my ARs wet there is no such thing as to much lube ever
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm guessing something wasn't put back together in the BCG as well. I took it apart gain today to clean it so I'll find out next time I shoot it if I did it again. :/
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This sounds like the most plausible cause.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of oil?  Was it cold out?

Some of the thicker oils can get even thicker in the cold, and eventually cause enough friction between the firing pin and the inside of the BCG to result in a light strike.  My dad swore by the use of motor oil on his rifle until we were coyote hunting and it was single digits.  All that oil got think and he had all click and no bang.  He was also running a JP reduced trigger spring which didn't help.  

Another factor: The more lube you use, the more dust it attracts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What kind of oil?  Was it cold out?

Some of the thicker oils can get even thicker in the cold, and eventually cause enough friction between the firing pin and the inside of the BCG to result in a light strike.  My dad swore by the use of motor oil on his rifle until we were coyote hunting and it was single digits.  All that oil got think and he had all click and no bang.  He was also running a JP reduced trigger spring which didn't help.  

Another factor: The more lube you use, the more dust it attracts.
View Quote

It was CLP oil. Nope. It was around 65-70 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Too much oil is almost never an AR issue.

Sounds like headspace or firing pin protrusion.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have guessed that the firing pin wasn't pushed forward when the firing pin retainer was inserted.  Easy to do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would have guessed that the firing pin wasn't pushed forward when the firing pin retainer was inserted.  Easy to do.
View Quote

So if the firing pin isn't pushed forward and the retainer pin is installed would the firing pin actually fall out of the bcg? I noticed that when I had the bcg out before I called the guy over that I could push on the firing pin and see it protrude from hole on the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you remove and reinstall the trigger?  Maybe light strike could be caused by spring installed incorrectly or some other issue.  Oil was not the problem.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you remove and reinstall the trigger?  Maybe light strike could be caused by spring installed incorrectly or some other issue.  Oil was not the problem.  Just curious.
View Quote

No. I didn't remove and reinstall the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Rack the charging handle back and let it go without helping it back forward. That should put the BCG right behind the round.

Like a slingshot.

I had an issue with the "click" and doing this helped.  This happened to me with a few new builds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding.........winner!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you see my response above asking if the firing pin would fall out if it were installed this way?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did you see my response above asking if the firing pin would fall out if it were installed this way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy check. When you put the retaining pin in, try and pull the firing pin back out. It will pull out if not held by the retaining pin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Could be that the rifle wasn't going fully into battery for some reason. You did say it was a new build. Could have been a little stiff. Be sure not to ride the charging handle and do tap the forward assist to make sure it's going fully into battery. Now that it's broken in you might not have any more problems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:39:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Like I said above I'm thinking that's your issue. Once my rifles broke in and loosened up I didn't have to focus as much when racking the charging handle. Just sling shot it.

I also had issues with my Pmags not liking 30 rounds. I backed them off to 28 and never had any more issues with double feeds/jams, etc.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it would come out is what he is saying. That is why it is called a retaining pin. The retaining pin must be to the rear of the pin shoulder otherwise it will stop the pin from going far enough forward to set the round off.

Lube had nothing to do with it. That's like like saying I put a 1/2qt. too much oil in my engine & now it won't turn over.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Could be that the rifle wasn't going fully into battery for some reason.
View Quote

What he said ^^
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have more problems, check your hammer spring, you may have your hammer spring upside down, it will still fire many times but unreliably. I have built many rifles but on my last 5.45 build I put the spring in upside down and it did the same thing you are referring to, I of course overlooked it because I would have never done that, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you have more problems, check your hammer spring, you may have your hammer spring upside down, it will still fire many times but unreliably. I have built many rifles but on my last 5.45 build I put the spring in upside down and it did the same thing you are referring to, I of course overlooked it because I would have never done that, LOL.
View Quote

If it's not this ^^^ then it's a break in issue.  New parts need some time to wear a bit and mesh properly.  And if you lubed it great, but didn't clean the preservative coating off the new parts (especially the bolt, carrier and FCG) before you assembled them, there's a good chance that you'll see a huge improvement just by degreasing all of those parts and re-lubing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, it would come out is what he is saying. That is why it is called a retaining pin. The retaining pin must be to the rear of the pin shoulder otherwise it will stop the pin from going far enough forward to set the round off.

Lube had nothing to do with it. That's like like saying I put a 1/2qt. too much oil in my engine & now it won't turn over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. saved me the trouble of explaining it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Im new to AR's myself but 2 weeks ago I took my brand new mp15 out to the range, I too got a "click"  on the very first round chambered. Followed by a few more then a few failure to feeds and a couple failure to eject. After taking the rifle apart, doing a thorough cleaning and lube job the rifle has performed flawlessly ever since. Im betting the preservative oil had the firing pin gummed up in the BCG, along with all new parts trying break in together.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Could it possibly be that the actual bolt was too stiff inside at the gas rings? Forgot to mention that the guys out some oil in that area to get the bolt to loosen up a bit.  Maybe it was too stuff to go all the way into battery after "sling shotting" the charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes the firing pin gets a little hung up in there, especially with new parts.  Did you disassemble the BCG and oil it or simply oil the surface along with the upper?

Also, do you ride the charging handle forward?  If so this very well could have been the issue too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Could it possibly be that the actual bolt was too stiff inside at the gas rings? Forgot to mention that the guys out some oil in that area to get the bolt to loosen up a bit.  Maybe it was too stuff to go all the way into battery after "sling shotting" the charging handle.
View Quote

When I built my blackout my new BCG was very tight making it impossible to fling the bolt face forward.  Getting the firing pin set took more effort than my broken in AR, I couldn't just drop it in but had to place.  The first few times it almost would click into place.  A good scrubbing, some frog lube and a whole lot of action working loosened it up a bit before her first trip to the range.

If you have your AR around you should disassemble the BCG and reassemble it, see how tight it is.  Shooting it, depending on how many rounds, certainly loosened it up a bit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Hey OP I was the other guy who disassembled you BCG and added oil. When I dissembled, the firing pin retainer and other parts were installed correctly.
I think the problem was a lack of oil and the BCG not going into full battery..

BTW Nice build!
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:...I extracted the round manually and looked at the primer. It had a very very light mark on it....
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:...I extracted the round manually and looked at the primer. It had a very very light mark on it....

Yep. If the firing pin was behind the retaining pin, or the bolt wasn't seated, I don't think you would have got the primer dimple. I also don't think it was too much oil, I run mine pretty wet.

Is it possible you got a weak hammer spring?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Could be that the rifle wasn't going fully into battery for some reason. You did say it was a new build. Could have been a little stiff. Be sure not to ride the charging handle and do tap the forward assist to make sure it's going fully into battery. Now that it's broken in you might not have any more problems.
View Quote

This was my guess.  Firing pin won't reach the primer if the pin retainer was put in before the FP was fully inserted.  However if the bolt didn't go fully into battery the pin will move.  If you hadn't put any lube on the bolt then it probably needed to cycle a few times within the barrel extension to start mating to it.  When you are sitting in front of the tv sit there and cycle the bolt over and over and over a few hundred times.  This should help loosen it up and accelerate break-in.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top