Page / 127
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BKKJ:
Anybody ever pick this up from you?

$10 shipped?
View Quote
If you're referring to the Hera port door, then yes, it's spoken for.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:21:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#2]
PWD update: added some stocks. I have found many inaccurate weights in Gunstruction (every trigger guard ever made is 0.5 oz? really?), but what it IS useful for is tracking down parts that I haven't yet added to the database. Found a couple stocks today. Nifty. I just got my UBR gen 2 today, so that weight will be added tonight... I need to add columns for which extension they use etc. to make it more digestible too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Usernames] [#3]
Got my barrel back from adco. They only had it for a couple days. Took longer to ship and return.

18" grendel barrel. Was 34 ounces 416r ss.

Now is 25.8 oz still 18" and 5/8 threads after their recontouring.  Pretty happy with that!

18" as light if not a touch lighter than all the factory 16" offerings.

Could have taken more off the gas block journal but wasn't sure which has block I would use or what size it would end up being
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Crap just realized I didn't weigh the 14.5 pinned with ported break GUNNER barrel I just assembled.  Ugh might have to pull it apart.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:36:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#5]
UBR gen 2 (w/ everything but the carbine buffer spacer) =  21.45. if you include the spacer, 21.80.

Edit: like an idiot I left the "tool" thing that ships with the UBR 2 on the scale. Tool weight = 0.114oz...so for the pwd I'll subtract that from the weights above...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BKKJ:
Anybody ever pick this up from you?

$10 shipped?
View Quote
It's sold, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:16:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BIGHURT:
Crap just realized I didn't weigh the 14.5 pinned with ported break GUNNER barrel I just assembled.  Ugh might have to pull it apart.
View Quote
C'mon man, sacrifices must be made! For non-nfa LW builds those pinned faxon bbls are all the rage. Be good data to have...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jekbrown: I also gave him my Damage Industries Thin Enhances trigger guard. He's milling out a 1/4" wide lighten-ing cut in the middle of the guard and then coating it black. We'll see how light it turns out. What I'm going for is near-milspec, but with room for gloved fingers. The trigger guard is one area where the milspec is still the lightest option available. Pretty impressive design from a weight perspective. I weighed a bunch of milspec ones from various LPKs I had and the absolute lightest was from PSA. 0.177oz. That's crazy light. It's almost half the weight of some TGs that are marketed as "ultra light weight", lol. Bravo Mr. Stoner.
View Quote
Quick update on this. Got the TG back after coating. Weight is 0.1627oz on my small parts scale. Not bad. Better than even the flimsiest mil spec TG, but some extra room to work with inside. I'll post a pic tonight.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#9]
User weight for the Phase 5 Universal Mini Stock in-bound....just won a free one on Instagram!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGHURT] [#10]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
UBR gen 2 (w/ everything but the carbine buffer spacer) =  21.45. if you include the spacer, 21.80.

Edit: like an idiot I left the "tool" thing that ships with the UBR 2 on the scale. Tool weight = 0.114oz...so for the pwd I'll subtract that from the weights above...
View Quote
This stock replaces tube correct?  What is the weight of items it replaces?

Eta also that mod 0 bcm trigger guard I posted about (4g) could have some material removed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#11]
The UBR comes with everything you need except the buffer/spring...so you get the receiver extension, QD endplate, castle nut (proprietary...actually screws on to the back part of the tube, not the front), 'cheek piece', and the stock. There's also an optional spacer that lets you use carbine-length buffers/springs. You can lighten it slightly by removing the storage door/hardware, but there's no getting around the fact that it's a heavy stock (even if it is 18-19% lighter than the gen 1 UBR). On the plus side it is solid as a rock and if you have a heavier front end on your rifle it definitely helps with balance. The particular build I'm using mine on is an m203 host, so there's a lot of weight to offset.  I'm gonna use it with a 458 SOCOM upper at times as well and it'll definitely have no issues handling the recoil. I'm not sure there's a stronger adjustable-length stock for an AR, so maybe it's worth the weight, depending on the objective/purpose of the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok so it's not as bad.  21.x was total weight - your normal tube, nut and end plate.  How much does removing the storage take off?
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
BREAKING NEWS!!! V7 magnesium handguards are available! :D
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Niiice. I'll add these soon. Always nice to see the innovation on the rail front, especially ultra light metal rails...
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGHURT] [#15]
Originally Posted By pscot468:
BREAKING NEWS!!! V7 magnesium handguards are available! :D
View Quote
15" shows 5.4oz

ETA. Eh they pulled the not weighing nut BS.  Nut is 1.13.  Hardware?  So more like 6.6-6.8oz which is still decent but they are $300
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SOCOM76] [#16]
Wow, those are lighter than my BCM magnesium rails. BCM gave the impression that magnesium was difficult to source when they transitioned to the Alpha rails.

Have to wonder why Joel chose Keymod, and it's too bad that you have to use a V7 upper to achieve a monolithic look.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]
ebay alum. castle nuts: 6g, from seller creativevisionscrafting (but flyer with nut gives ad to cvlv.com). Lighter than V7's (6.7g), but probably not as good quality.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I like that we seek out more obscure manufacturers in the never ending search for light parts. I'll add this one too...
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]

15" shows 5.4oz

ETA. Eh they pulled the not weighing nut BS.  Nut is 1.13.  Hardware?  So more like 6.6-6.8oz which is still decent but they are $300
View Quote
It's still lighter than the kmr, even with an aluminum kmr barrel nut and titanium hardware. I'll be getting one once they make a 10-11"
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
Wow, those are lighter than my BCM magnesium rails. BCM gave the impression that magnesium was difficult to source when they transitioned to the Alpha rails.

Have to wonder why Joel chose Keymod, and it's too bad that you have to use a V7 upper to achieve a monolithic look.
View Quote
V7 always releases keymod first, then mlok. Keymod is still more popular, even if mlok has been proven to be better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a V7 titanium KMR barrel nut for sale on the EE $50 shipped
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGHURT] [#22]
Originally Posted By lightpaw:
ebay alum. castle nuts: 6g, from seller creativevisionscrafting (but flyer with nut gives ad to cvlv.com). Lighter than V7's (6.7g), but probably not as good quality.
View Quote
Here is a nut and plate deal for 11.xx.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j4xf2d1bu100zk8a00004&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FSuper-Hard-Aluminum-7075-6061-T6-Lock-Castle-Nut-and-Single-Loop-End-Plate-COBO-%2F201638572665
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#23]

V7 always releases keymod first, then mlok. Keymod is still more popular, even if mlok has been proven to be better.
View Quote
I haven't seen any data, is this actually the case? Seems like magpul product alone would skew the data in mloks favor...
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#24]

It's still lighter than the kmr, even with an aluminum kmr barrel nut and titanium hardware. I'll be getting one once they make a 10-11"
View Quote
Yeah, I want a 9" or 10" rail
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 4:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]

I haven't seen any data, is this actually the case? Seems like magpul product alone would skew the data in mloks favor...
View Quote
I'm just saying that because bcm, Odin works, Daniel defense, etc all have been supporting keymod from the beginning, I don't have any data though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm just saying that because bcm, Odin works, Daniel defense, etc all have been supporting keymod from the beginning, I don't have any data though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Every manufacturer that's put out their data says otherwise.  It varies from a 1:1 to 3:1 in MLoks favor.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Every manufacturer that's put out their data says otherwise.  It varies from a 1:1 to 3:1 in MLoks favor.
View Quote
Well ok, i have been educated, lol. I still prefer keymod. I don't run anything other than grips or bipod mounts on the keys though. I know keymod is terrible at returning to zero.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
Installed your aluminum KMR barrel nut in my M16 last night. Fits nice and snug. Will see how it holds up to the heat and abuse of full auto although I don't expect any issues. Thanks for offering these for sale!

EDIT: iphone auto correct
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
Originally Posted By stitchclimber:

Thanks for posting hfrog355!  I'm glad to see my two scales read the same as yours, haha!  Please let me know how you like it!

I know a few folks might be worried about the barrel nut being smaller(on average .004") than the factory one but, I  cal all but guaran-damn-tee you that it will not affect function once the rail is mounted up and the cross bolts are even remotely tightened.  We could not make one to fit every single persons KMR at this price, I hope you can understand.  Hopefully if we can do a second run, we will adjust the O.D. to be slightly larger.  I will also point to anyone to the patents granted to BCM, there is no mention of a friction-fit requirement.

I tested the smallest one of the batch I could find(kept if for myself) on a friend's M16 and after a 60 round Magpul drum and two 30 round mags as fast as we could keep the gun on target, the rail did not budge, move, rotate or come off.  I did though, burn a hole in one of my SKD PiG gloves so all was not lost...  

Please, please try the barrel nut before condemning it and sending it back for a refund.  If installed correctly, you will not have an issue.  Some might take offense to this but, most of the lightweight guns will not be run on M16 lowers or get beat up like a very select group of folks do to their stuff.  I would not have released these if I didn't think they were absolutely safe.

Sorry for the rant, just want to be sure that you good folks understand what goes into this process.

I still have about 25 left so if anyone wants more, please let me know.
Installed your aluminum KMR barrel nut in my M16 last night. Fits nice and snug. Will see how it holds up to the heat and abuse of full auto although I don't expect any issues. Thanks for offering these for sale!

EDIT: iphone auto correct
I'm a Little slow on the feedback but ive been to the range multiple times since I purchased the AL KMR barrel nut and its still snug and has held up to quite a bit of full auto fire with no issues.

Only problem I have now is what to do with the two extra KMR nuts ive got sitting around.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RogueNathan:

If our data is wrong, I'll eat my shorts. We calibrated the scales and weighed them for 100% accuracy on that sheet.
View Quote
hey now, I'm not accusing anyone of 'bad data', it's just part of the whole process to have both manufacturer and user weights when we can get them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Didn't see a section for mounts on list but aero precision 30mm ultra lightweight spr mount is 3.5 oz when I measured compared to manufacturer saying it's 3.36oz
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGHURT] [#32]
Originally Posted By RogueNathan:

If our data is wrong, I'll eat my shorts. We calibrated the scales and weighed them for 100% accuracy on that sheet.
View Quote
Seems like when I weighed my 18" GUNNER it was off per specs.....of course my scale isnt calibrated lol.  So now you have me thinking about my other weights :/

ETA. Yep site says 23.04oz my UNCALIBRATED scale said 25.25oz.    Pretty big difference for some.  Maybe mine is reading high that's good for everyone else on my supplied weights
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Seems like when I weighed my 18" GUNNER it was off per specs.....of course my scale isnt calibrated lol.  So now you have me thinking about my other weights :/
View Quote
What did yours come in at
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Brettwurst:

What did yours come in at
View Quote
See eta
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry missed that the first time
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Brettwurst:
Didn't see a section for mounts on list but aero precision 30mm ultra lightweight spr mount is 3.5 oz when I measured compared to manufacturer saying it's 3.36oz
View Quote
There is a section for mounts, it's in the optics section. I have the M weight for this mount in there, but I will add the U right now. Thanks much for posting!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#37]

There is a section for mounts, it's in the optics section. I have the M weight for this mount in there, but I will add the U right now. Thanks much for posting!
View Quote

Awesome! No problem
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#38]
PWD update: I won a free Phase 5 UMS via Instagram the other day so I decided to hit their www site again to make sure I had all their parts in the PWD. They (thankfully) post weight data for almost everything they make, so I've added the big stuff already. I'll double back to hit the rest later on today. I also started reworking the stock section, adding in fields of relevant data. Some users expressed their annoyance that the stocks aren't apples to apples comparisons (e.g. the "butt plate type" of stock vs a "real" stock) so I'm trying to clarify things so 'you know what you're getting' with each type. Should be pretty good when done. Prolly 400-500 more fields to complete, but it is going pretty quickly. Good times!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for all the hard work!
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGHURT] [#40]
Lakota arms AmbI charging handle 36g

ETA posted the deal for this and their M16 BCG for $89.xx in deals thread.  Works good and lighter than my extended latch handle I was using.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGHURT] [#41]
Strike Industries AR enhanced pistol grip.   78g with plug 68g without.  May do some sanding/dremel work and should get it to 55 without plug.

Sorry not really light weight
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Just ordered the B5 poly trigger guard (allegedly the lightest option on the market). They cost under $6 at brownells and I needed to add some stuff to the cart to use a discount code. If it is indeed super light, it'll work well on my DMR/SPR build....
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:08:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockNRoll_Mullet] [#43]
Sintercore 5.56 Tripwire Ambidextrous Charging Handle

Sintercore 5.56 Tripwire-SCV (Suppressor Compatible Version)

A featherweight, sleek, and reliable charging handle. With our signature auto locking system, there’s no need to press a lever. Instantly detach the handle from the upper receiver with deliberate, rearward pressure.

Weight: 1 oz

Width: 2.54 in

Compatibility: AR-15

Handle: 7075-T6 aluminum with Cerakote® Elite Series thin film ceramic coating

Latch: Engineering grade thermoplastic  for super high lubricity, excellent durability, and low wear to upper receiver

Sintercore Tripwire xRS – Ambidextrous Retrofit System
Tripwire xRS: Ambidextrous Retrofit System for standard AR charging handles.

Pull a standard charging handle from either side! Simple installation, rugged durability, and lighter weight. An economical alternative to complete charging handle replacement or a great way to bring a discarded stock handle back into action.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Bit pricey for charging handle for me but nice to see another option.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterDeadeye] [#45]
I noticed that I had a grip that's on your list, not filled out.

It's not light by any means. (HK V2) weighed in at 93.5g.

I also have a Rainier Arms RAC which weighed in at 73.1g.

Do note though, that I do not have calibration weights. I had to use a bottle of water to calibrate at 500g(took a small sip out of it). I used this data.

The document says that an imported water bottle by itself weighs ~10.3g, the cap is just under 1g, so together it would be about 11g. Because I took a sip out of the bottle, I'm going to assume that it couldn't have been more than 2% over the required weight. I also looked through your sheet to see if I had anything that could be tested against the data here. My V7 grip screw came in between 3.1 and 3.2g, so it measured roughly .11 oz.(user data indicates anywhere from .1 to .106 oz) I also have an MFT Minimalist stock that weighed out to 5.93 oz(user data indicates 6.05 oz).

That's all to say that I'm sure my measurements are close, obviously not perfect, and I wish I'd weighed them before initiating the calibration on my scale because it's fairly new, I hardly use it, and I accidentally calibrated it to a random weight as I was putting pressure on it before I realized that it was going to end the calibration.

Off topic: When I looked for a link to the grip to give you a reference point, I found it on a popular online retailer's website for a lot cheaper than I paid a year and a half ago.

EDIT: So when I got up today, I realized that I can still calibrate the scale more effectively than I did last night. I took a full bottle of water, took the cap off, and used that as my reference point(should come out to 510.3g). I used extra water to hone in on the appropriate amount of weight for my calibration bottle, until I got the reference to show, on the scale, the appropriate weight. I then grabbed 9 more bottles of water to weigh them and get an average. The following weights should be spot on.

RAC - 75.0g
HK V2 - 94.7g
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I've been following this thread for a long time.  I've always wanted to build a lightweight AR.  Living in CT, I now have to settle for lighter AR15 since I can't get any of the lightweight lower.

Basically I'm building a 300BLK SBR off a Mag Tactical Upper and a preban EA cast lower.  With all the overtime, I went any bought nearly all of V7's lower parts and a Brownells B-GRF GEISSELE RAPID FIRE TRIGGER.

Not sure if the lightweight spread sheet is being maintained.  I took out my trusty scale and set it to ounces.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:38:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#48]
Has anyone tried the Vorn Lima II lower? I ordered one just to give it a try on my HD gun.
It's not as light as a Balios or V7 but for a budget LW build it's less than half the cost.

I'm putting it under an Aero non-FA upper, the total stripped receiver weight should be about 13.6 oz, not bad for about $200 for the set, including transfer fee.

Link

I'll post a "U" weight once it comes in.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#49]
@inmyshadow thanks for posting the weights, all of which have been added to the PWD! I had no idea that Brownells was starting to sell ultralight parts under their own brand name, even though I order lots of stuff from them. lol!  Very helpful info!

@larrys look forward to getting a U for the Vorn. People don't talk about them much, but you're right they are a pretty good value considering their weight vs cost compared with some of the $pendy options....
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#50]
probably been asked but who has the lightest one?

maybe the lightest AR budget too (under 600)?
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top