Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Ballistic Advantage makes a 10.3" pencil barrel that weighs 17 ounces.  Odin Works makes a 10.5" that weighs 15.5 ounces.
View Quote

https://www.odinworks.com/223_Wylde_ULTRAlite_10_5_Carbine_p/b-223-10-ul-c.htm

Are odin barrels any good? Im thinking i might want to pick one of those up if they have good reviews.

Its 2.9 oz lighter than the DD 10.3" barrel im using now
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#2]
From what I've been reading the V7 upper w/ FA and m4 feed ramps is roughly somewhere between 6.8 and 6.9 oz. V7 says 6.8

So far it's the lightest upper with FA I've seen.

The v7 aluminum forward assist is 9.2 grams. Add that as well.

Strike industries polymer dust cover is 0.3 oz

Anyone have an approx weight of the JP heavy silent captured spring, stock buffer tube, pws enhanced buffer tube mod1/2, as well as well as the JoeBob trigger adjuster screw and hogue over molded grip?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT1222] [#3]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
From what I've been reading the V7 upper w/ FA and m4 feed ramps is roughly somewhere between 6.8 and 6.9 oz. V7 says 6.8

Anyone have an approx weight of the JP heavy silent captured spring, stock buffer tube, pws enhanced buffer tube mod1/2, as well as well as the JoeBob trigger adjuster screw and hogue over molded grip?
View Quote

My aero upper with FA and m4 ramps weighed exactly 200 grams on my kitchen scale which is 7.05oz

Check out the DS arms enhanced light weight upper. The only place I can find a weight is on primary arms website and they list it as .4lbs which is 6.4oz. Both of these only cost half as much as the v7 as well.

If I remember correctly a milspec buffer tube only will weigh about 4oz
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:07:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#4]
Originally Posted By AT1222:

My aero upper with FA and m4 ramps weighed exactly 200 grams on my kitchen scale which is 7.05oz

Check out the DS arms enhanced light weight upper. The only place I can find a weight is on primary arms website and they list it as .4lbs which is 6.4oz. Both of these only cost half as much as the v7 as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Me likey the ds arms upper. It says on their website it is .4 lbs as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

My JP Enterprises silent buffer weighs in at 7.20 ounces.

I have a PWS 416 7075 aluminum receiver extension that weighs in at 5.10 ounces. The only modification to it has been the receiver plate. It has been replaced with an aluminum V7 plate. The large set screw fits perfectly thru the V7 QD sling mount hole.

While these parts aren't the lightest, sometimes shifting a little more weight to the rear end of the rifle helps to balance it better.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

I would be hesitant buying something listed as 0.4lbs, seems like a rounded number.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:16:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:

I have a PWS 416 7075 aluminum receiver extension that weighs in at 5.10 ounces. The only modification to it has been the receiver plate. It has been replaced with an aluminum V7 plate. The large set screw fits perfectly thru the V7 QD sling mount hole.

While these parts aren't the lightest, sometimes shifting a little more weight to the rear end of the rifle helps to balance it better.
View All Quotes

Is it mod 1 or 2? Because 5.1 oz is way heavier than mil spec. I'm looking at http://primaryweapons.com/store/pws-enhanced-buffer-tube-mod-2/
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#8]
The D's arms enhanced upper looks pretty sweet with the extra milling, sort of the low hanging fruit behind tye deflector and down the middle of the rail.  EXCEPT FOR THE FOWARD ASSIST!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Is it mod 1 or 2? Because 5.1 oz is way heavier than mil spec. I'm looking at http://primaryweapons.com/store/pws-enhanced-buffer-tube-mod-2/
View All Quotes

Mod 1. I didn't realize they even had a mod2 until I read your post. V7 has an all aluminum unit that is 3.6 ounces, but that probably doesn't have the receiver plate or the lock nut included. So you're looking at 4 ounces roughly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:34:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#10]
Christianson arms CA-15 carbon fiber handguard: 12.125 - 6.8oz, 9.25 - 5.45oz

Christianson arms carbon Barrel assembly 16 1.7 lbs
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Not sure if it has already been posted.

LaRue PredatAR Barrel 26.8oz
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
So I called ds arms about their enhanced upper that's stated on their website as "0.4" lbs (6.4 oz).  The guys was vague with me. So I sent an email about it. Then a couple hours later I look on the website and they changed it from 0.4 lbs to 0.40 lbs which I'm assuming would be to the tenth. They must have changed it when I called them out
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got my new scale.

-Strike industries poly dust cover is 0.388 oz (11 grams)

-BAD Ti takedown/pivot pin set including Springs and detents are 0.317 oz or 9 grams
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:11:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#14]
So I called ds arms about their enhanced upper that's stated on their website as "0.4" lbs (6.4 oz).  The guys was vague with me. So I sent an email about it. Then a couple hours later I look on the website and they changed it from 0.4 lbs to 0.40 lbs which I'm assuming would be to the tenth. They must have changed it when I called them out
View Quote

Not sure where you're going with this cause 0.4lb, and 0.40lb. is exactly same as far as weight is concerned.  

ETA: BTW, .00 is hundredths not tenths.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By xtreme762:

Not sure where you're going with this cause 0.4lb, and 0.40lb. is exactly same as far as weight is concerned.  

View All Quotes

But 0.40lb and 0.41 through 0.49lb are not the same weight.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By boardsnbikes:

View All Quotes

That's what I was trying to say. Something could be 0.4 but not rounded as 0.5 if it is in fact 0.48.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 12:13:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JSmithXYY] [#17]

View All Quotes

.35-.44

anyway, .400000 lbs is, allegedly, the exact same weight as v7's basic upper (no port door rod or F/A) at 6.4 oz, either one looks to be the lightest non plastic current production uppers on the market.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JSmithXYY:

.35-.44

anyway, .400000 lbs is, allegedly, the exact same weight as v7's basic upper (no port door rod or F/A) at 6.4 oz, either one looks to be the lightest non plastic current production uppers on the market.
View All Quotes

.35-.44

Just bought it. I'll report here when I get it
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:05:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PiccoloPlayer] [#19]
Manufacturer says the set is .98 lbs. Maybe it's just me but that seems kind of heavy.

http://f-1firearms.com/bdr-15-3gupper-lower-set/
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:27:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PiccoloPlayer:
Manufacturer says the set is .98 lbs. Maybe it's just me but that seems kind of heavy.

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ph1212/products/82/images/579/DSC_0069__73067.1447711667.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

View Quote
Not for me, but it does work...here it is in action:

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:33:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GSL:

https://youtu.be/LQalucXr_tQ
View All Quotes

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-ph1212/products/82/images/579/DSC_0069__73067.1447711667.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

https://youtu.be/LQalucXr_tQ

Weighs over 15 oz. That's a heavy piece of metal. Heavier than a side charging ar
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:14:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m411b30] [#22]

View Quote

I saw this a few weeks ago. The walls are crazy thick which would explain the weight. They do look pretty good, though. But at 15.7oz for the set it kinda knocks them out of the light weight game.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:27:17 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

holy shit!

why didn't they skeletanize the part where the grip screw goes lol?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:28:45 AM EDT
[#24]
so ballistic advantage has a 10.5" Hansen profile barrel on sale this week.  it is not the lighetst possible 10.5", but it is a pretty good profile.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#25]

holy shit!

View All Quotes

holy shit!

Because they needed something for you to complain about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:22:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#26]
View All Quotes

holy shit!

I rost.

ETA new page

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

holy shit!

I rost.

ETA new page

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/armed_ferret/gun_stuff/20150526_145230_zpshih9hr9e.jpg

Haha. I guess it is really just an aesthetic thing anyway not really trying to be lightweight. So there'd be no reason the skeletonize that which is not visible
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#28]
So I went and bought a DSA (ds arms) enhanced flattop a3 upper which is the lightest weight upper with the forward assist I could find.  I weighed it at 181 grams and it teetered between 6.3 and 6.4 oz. That makes it somewhere between 0.385 lbs and 0.4 lbs just like the website stated. It's much better quality than my anderson upper and feels nice. It also is lighter than a lot of lightweight Uppers that don't even have a forward assist. For example the BAD lightweight slick side upper is 6.28 oz and this is 6.4. Looks alright. Forward assist looks cool but we'll see how it comes out after I finish my build. You'll be able to notice where the weight improvements came from immediately. And yes it has the feed ramps.

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]
^
that makes me want to get a mill.  

thanks for reporting back about that dsa receiver.   looks like hte best value going, particualry if you believe in the f/a

UPDATE:
the VLTOR A5 pistol exnention is NOT 3.2 oz, it is 4.45 oz!  I am  super pissed.  That is not even just a little off, that is substantial.  I guess I'll spend $10 shipping it back to brownells
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#30]
^
that makes me want to get a mill.  

thanks for reporting back about that dsa receiver.   looks like hte best value going, particualry if you believe in the f/a

UPDATE:
the VLTOR A5 pistol exnention is NOT 3.2 oz, it is 4.45 oz!  I am  super pissed.  That is not even just a little off, that is substantial.  I guess I'll spend $10 shipping it back to brownells
View Quote

79.99 for a fa upper that is 1-3.5oz lighter than than its closest competitors? Can't beat the price or weight. It's pretty solid too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#31]
So I went and bought a DSA (ds arms) enhanced flattop a3 upper which is the lightest weight upper with the forward assist I could find.  I weighed it at 181 grams and it teetered between 6.3 and 6.4 oz. That makes it somewhere between 0.385 lbs and 0.4 lbs just like the website stated. It's much better quality than my anderson upper and feels nice. It also is lighter than a lot of lightweight Uppers that don't even have a forward assist. For example the BAD lightweight slick side upper is 6.28 oz and this is 6.4. Looks alright. Forward assist looks cool but we'll see how it comes out after I finish my build. You'll be able to notice where the weight improvements came from immediately. And yes it has the feed ramps.

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/nejokh2gv/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/4m7tgw62r/image.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/vin7bgzi7/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/6pdnatghv/image.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/9uy910z3z/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/5ltiyuvur/image.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/6a2dhsukf/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/qu77gaabn/image.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's a cool upper, Def the lightest upper with a forward assist, just a bummer that it's at most 0.7 oz lighter than a regular Mil-spec upper.

But hey all ounces eventually add up to lbs
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Great Data, this was the tipping point that got me to JOIN!
Had to get off my A$$ and get an ISP email, which was a PITA  

The smiley list sealed th deal  

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#33]
DPMS car buffer spring 57g

Tubb flat wire buffer spring 43g
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like I have some work to do if I want to get the OPs up to speed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By djkest:
View Quote

Can you edit the actual OPs?  What are you saying exactly?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:42:09 AM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Yes he can, he's the one that started this thread and posted the original weights to begin with
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes he can, he's the one that started this thread and posted the original weights to begin with
View All Quotes

Oh.  Didn't recognize him w/o the holy lime cat avatar
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Just remember that a stripped upper designed to use a forward assist will have to add the weight of the actual FA, too, which one without that ability will not.  Shouldn't be too much weight, but to figure out what that functionality will "cost" you in weight, it needs to be included.  That said, while I like the lightweight phenomenon, I believe that one should pick their desired features first and then build the lightest rifle with them.  For example, if I lived in a free state, I would rather have a slightly heavier Minimalist adjustable stock than one of those straight stick ultra-light ones.  If one wants a FA, the DSA upper does look like a great choice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

Just remember that a stripped upper designed to use a forward assist will have to add the weight of the actual FA, too, which one without that ability will not.  Shouldn't be too much weight, but to figure out what that functionality will "cost" you in weight, it needs to be included.  That said, while I like the lightweight phenomenon, I believe that one should pick their desired features first and then build the lightest rifle with them.  For example, if I lived in a free state, I would rather have a slightly heavier Minimalist adjustable stock than one of those straight stick ultra-light ones.  If one wants a FA, the DSA upper does look like a great choice.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

Good points, we must remember not to get to lost in the whole lightweight concept especially for a self defense rifle. My priorities have always been...

Function
Weight
Style
Price

While I want the lightest rifle possible there are somethings I'm just not willing to give up In exchange for less weight. A forward assist and adjustable stocks are Def on that list.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#41]

is that a .750 gas journal?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:27:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#42]
EDIT: Double Post
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Yes.  Turn it down to .625 and you should be right about 15 ounces even.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:27:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#44]

View All Quotes

Correct it is 0.750 at the gas block.

It would be a hair bit lighter at 0.625 but personally i prefer 0.750 as thats the size of all of my other gas blocks/barrels. Also, sometimes 0.625 gas blocks weigh more than 0.750 gas blocks because the smaller holes = less material removed from the block so any weight you saved on the smaller dia barrel is then added from the gas block.

Either way its got to be one of the lightest 10.5" barrels on the market. I look forward to getting a chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

It would be a hair bit lighter at 0.625 but personally i prefer 0.750 as thats the size of all of my other gas blocks/barrels. Also, sometimes 0.625 gas blocks weigh more than 0.750 gas blocks because the smaller holes = less material removed from the block so any weight you saved on the smaller dia barrel is then added from the gas block.

Either way its got to be one of the lightest 10.5" barrels on the market. I look forward to getting a chance to shoot it.
View All Quotes

Battle Arms just released their new titanium super lightweight .750 gas block. It's lighter than most other maker's .625 GBs.

I have a BAD .625 GB. It's sweet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Silly.  There are plenty of LW .625 blocks out there now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:56:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Elftmann Ambidextrious Safety Selector (push button) is one of the lightest safeties weighing in at 10.680 grams (0.377 oz). It's about a gram heavier than the V7 ambi hybrid selector.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#48]
So Fortress Tacticall finally had the PWS Ehnahced Buffer Tube Mod 2 In Stock. I was the first to buy it and within about 30 min it went out of stock. However I emailed Fortress and asked them how much the tube itself weighs. Mike said 3oz without the hardware. So it's lighter than the original, and lighter than any mil spec tube you'll find. It's also 7075 aluminum which is stronger than mil spec 6061.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#49]

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/nejokh2gv/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/4m7tgw62r/image.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/vin7bgzi7/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/6pdnatghv/image.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/9uy910z3z/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/5ltiyuvur/image.jpg</a>

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/6a2dhsukf/full/" target="_blank">http://s11.postimg.org/qu77gaabn/image.jpg</a>
View Quote

Pair that with a Titanium forward assist and a Strike Industries Polymer dust cover and you'll be set :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:

Pair that with a Titanium forward assist and a Strike Industries Polymer dust cover and you'll be set :)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Slimjim:

I paired it with the v7 aluminum forward assist and aluminum port door/rod.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top