User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:29:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dodge223:
Something like this but smaller, may be lighter?

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz336/Dodge223/Arfcom/EEB418D8-441F-4B77-A417-E310032424B7_zpscwohqbft.jpg
View Quote
Your probably right. I didn't have much material milled off because I was afraid it would be too weak. Then I saw this modification on BAD's OIP rifle and I'm second guessing that.
I'm ordering a Mill at the  end of the year, I'll probably try to copy this as close as I can.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By larrys:

Your probably right. I didn't have much material milled off because I was afraid it would be too weak. Then I saw this modification on BAD's OIP rifle and I'm second guessing that.
I'm ordering a Mill at the  end of the year, I'll probably try to copy this as close as I can.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/inkahootz/guns/38DFFB12-1648-4829-8F96-03813EC78E9A.png
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]

It wasn't a huge weigh loss, 20 grams total.
It started at 64 grams stock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/inkahootz/guns/B5E7AD54-2AD1-4A88-8182-AD1EE5CDFD53.jpg

Backside I did before slots and hole were done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/inkahootz/guns/54967547-7CCE-4647-A279-47F309D50309.jpg
View Quote
Thanks. I like the BAD a lot, not sure if I want to go with it or just stick with my CAR/tube combo. i leave the CAR atdjusted to basically the same length as the mid length BAD tube, anyway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Usernames] [#4]

Didn't like the look of the strike industries dust cover. It had a bullet and a "multi cal" stamped on it. Which is just about pointless info.

So I sanded it off all flat and hit it real lightly with a mapp torch to give it a pebble finish.

Engraved the back side

Original dust cover

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Thread protector 5/8x24
Backup tactical
(Aluminum)

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
skeltonizing the BAD 'stock' is definitely cool (doing it myself!). But if absolute weight savings is the primary objective, smoke composites CF is the only way to go. Stupid light. I may get one for my LW some day. With that and a Ti carrier, I could get very close to 3lbs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By patchouli:
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/PatchouliAR/20170608_081422_zpsiuwccrt7.jpg

Didn't like the look of the strike industries dust cover. It had a bullet and a "multi cal" stamped on it. Which is just about pointless info.

So I sanded it off all flat and hit it real lightly with a mapp torch to give it a pebble finish.

..http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/PatchouliAR/20170623_114606_zpsveckv4yx.jpg

Engraved the back side

...http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/PatchouliAR/20170623_145617_zpsrvxim4c9.jpg

Original dust cover

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj524/PatchouliAR/20170623_145633_zpsccasah2z.jpg
View Quote
I'm using the hk 416 polymer port door, i'd like to see how much it weighs on that fancy scale of yours! My scale reads 6 grams, it's much lower profile than the mako and kaiser doors. I'm ordering a hera arms dust cover, i'll let you guys know how much it weighs. Apparently it uses a polymer port door rod with an enlarged end, like v7's. But plastic. I doubt the hera door is lighter than the hk but i'm definitely using that rod!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:34:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SOCOM76] [#8]
Noticed that Battle Arms is selling a branded version of the TriggerTech trigger. I have the original, non-branded version in my Balios, and in case anyone is interested, it weighs 2.27oz. Easily and arguably the best self-contained trigger I have owned.

Surprised 2A Armament didn't think of that first.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone running DSA enhanced titanium(parts) upper?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

I'm using the hk 416 polymer port door, i'd like to see how much it weighs on that fancy scale of yours! My scale reads 6 grams, it's much lower profile than the mako and kaiser doors. I'm ordering a hera arms dust cover, i'll let you guys know how much it weighs. Apparently it uses a polymer port door rod with an enlarged end, like v7's. But plastic. I doubt the hera door is lighter than the hk but i'm definitely using that rod!
View Quote
Sounds cool. Is the hk 6 grams with all hardware? Very light!

The strike industries about 11grams but has all the mounting hardware self contained.

The scale is a cheap reloading scale from hornady
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
B.A.D enhanced titanium pivot and takedown pin 8g.  
Not worth the cost to me even though I got them way cheaper than retail on bid ($22).  For $10 less I would get the no name titanium ones I posted about earlier.  Well I guess these did crap me with springs and detents lol
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By patchouli:

Sounds cool. Is the hk 6 grams with all hardware? Very light!

The strike industries about 11grams but has all the mounting hardware self contained.

The scale is a cheap reloading scale from hornady
View Quote
6 grams is just the door, but it'll still be less than 7 grams with the spring and polymer rod.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
The Firearms Blog picked up the PWD via MrGunsnGear's FB post, so there's an article about it over there now. That's pretty cool. Gotta get the word out!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/06/08/ar-15-parts-weights-database/
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:
Noticed that Battle Arms is selling a branded version of the TriggerTech trigger. I have the original, non-branded version in my Balios, and in case anyone is interested, it weighs 2.27oz.
View Quote
Could I get some details for the PWD? Specific model names or numbers would be helpful, there's multiple TT triggers for ARs...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
The Firearms Blog picked up the PWD via MrGunsnGear's FB post, so there's an article about it over there now. That's pretty cool. Gotta get the word out!

View Quote
Cool
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Some of the typical commentary there is just asinine. Anyone that suggests going to the gym clearly hasn't carried an AR for any extended periods of time. At some point, 6lbs literally feels like 20lbs, and it might as well be.

$5,000 to build an AR? Wow...

Pacemaker? Try an adjustable gas system, LM carrier, and reduced power loads.

I could go on and on, but it goes to show that you can't teach old dogs new tricks, and apparently, ignorance IS bliss!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#17]
yeah, there were some eye rollers in the comments for sure. Still, it was cool to see it "out there". If you google for gun stuff very much you find that TGB is very very 'connected'. It pops up in lots of searches and is linked to in all kinds of www-content-consolidator sites. That's the main reason I thought it was cool. People are going to find the database when they search, and moar users = better. Well, that's the hope anyway. I still may lock all the sheets and just add a 'contribution sheet' at some point if it gets out of control, but so far it's been pretty good. Once a week or so I have to sort a few pages and delete a few blank sheets (people love to click on the plus icon I guess...), but generally there hasn't been very much disruptive behavior.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Is there a hit counter installed? Time to offer ad space, and generate some revenue for your time and effort.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm not even sure that's possible with a Google sheet. Could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Embed the sheet in a webpage.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Is there a hit counter installed? Time to offer ad space, and generate some revenue for your time and effort.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Do it quick, before somebody else does.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Some of the typical commentary there is just asinine. Anyone that suggests going to the gym clearly hasn't carried an AR for any extended periods of time. At some point, 6lbs literally feels like 20lbs, and it might as well be.

$5,000 to build an AR? Wow...

Pacemaker? Try an adjustable gas system, LM carrier, and reduced power loads.

I could go on and on, but it goes to show that you can't teach old dogs new tricks, and apparently, ignorance IS bliss!
View Quote
Don't ever read the comments.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By vallopez2000:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vallopez2000:
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Best bet to keep it from getting fubared would be to create a GUI that uses the spreadsheet as a database. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By vallopez2000:Do it quick, before somebody else does.
View Quote
More power to 'em, I'm not really interested in profiting off it, and as long as I have it for free / ad free, I don't think anyone will be able to swoop in and rake in cash off of it. Could be wrong though, lol!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for all the work that you put into the data base. I have used it a lot and I know many others have too.

If you're thinking about a LW build go there before ordering anything!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for all the work that you put into the data base. I have used it a lot and I know many others have too.

If you're thinking about a LW build go there before ordering anything!
View Quote
+1 Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#27]
np amigos. I think it's a good outlet for my OCD. Lots more to do, several sections are still pretty limited on data. I'll keep plugging away. :)
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#28]
np amigos. I think it's a good outlet for my OCD. Lots more to do, several sections are still pretty limited on data. I'll keep plugging away. :)
View Quote
Which sections need work?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#29]
Lights, optics, muzzle devices, and barrels mostly...but the magazine section could use a little help too. There's a lot of mags out there that aren't included. Generally, the further 'to the right' the sheet is, the less I have worked on it.  There are a ton of bbl makers out there that aren't in the PWD at all, or that don't list any weight data anywhere. Early on in the data collection process, I was definitely biased in favor of the light weight parts...so I skipped a lot of heavier stuff where data was available. Figured I'd circle back latter. There's also some bias against Troy, for the same reason a lot of people on the board. I haven't excluded their products, but then again they don't put much data out there on weights and I've made zero effort to dig it up, unlike a lot of other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#30]
As usual forgive me if I'm duping anything.  

BCM gunfighter mod0 trigger guard 4g.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#31]
So has anyone seen the titanium barrels F1 firearms is working on? Lol, now don't lose your minds just yet, It's actually a pretty cool idea. They take a stainless pencil barrel and then apply a patented cold spray on titanium. (?????) After that they turn it to their medium contour and voilla! You have a medium barrel that weighs less than a faxon gunner. Interesting stuff. It's not out yet though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By pscot468:
So has anyone seen the titanium barrels F1 firearms is working on? Lol, now don't lose your minds just yet, It's actually a pretty cool idea. They take a stainless pencil barrel and then apply a patented cold spray on titanium. (?????) After that they turn it to their medium contour and voilla! You have a medium barrel that weighs less than a faxon gunner. Interesting stuff. It's not out yet though.
View Quote
Sounds inexpensive.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#33]
Would this be lighter or more rigid or cheaper than the CF wrapped barrels that are available now?

Also, I'll have a user weight for the UBR gen 2 by COB on Monday...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Would this be lighter or more rigid or cheaper than the CF wrapped barrels that are available now?

Also, I'll have a user weight for the UBR gen 2 by COB on Monday...
View Quote
Lol Idk, i really doubt it would be cheaper. I don't think it would be any lighter, but you may be able to achieve the same strength and rigidity without having to add as much materiel. It's new tech, you never know what could happen! F1 does kinda have a reputation for "bling" style products, stuff that looks really cool and sounds good when you show your $3000 rifle to your friends, but a $300 anderson is just as lightweight and functional.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Cleaned my LW rifle thoroughly for the first time last night. Hair over 1,300 rounds without a single hiccup.

I love this gun as a whole, but there are a lot of little things I could single out. In particular, I want to give a shoutout to 2A Armament. I was skeptical about the BCG of theirs I put in this thing, but it has proven to be fantastic. I was concerned that the aluminium and steel construction would have issues or that I might run into feeding/reliability problems (this was my first build without a F/A as well). Neither could be further from the truth of my experience. It has run like a top and as a bonus, was super easy to clean. The finish is outstanding and I even felt like the firing pin was much less dirty than other BCG's I've cleaned. 900 of the 1,300 rounds have been a mix of Wolf Gold or PMC, so it's not like I'm feeding it all premium stuff either. I don't have enough good things to say about the product and I will certainly be buying more from them in the future.

Some changes to the gun since I last posted about it:
- Switched from the ultralight Venom RDS to an MRO w/KDG mount. The MRO is an unbelievable optic and I really like the KDG mount - makes it easy to swap out for my 1-4 when needed. Definitely a little on the porky side for this thread though.
- Swapped out the LaRue MBT for a Geissele NM because duh.
- Changed V7 charging handle to Geissele Airborne model. Having the ambi option is nice.

The gun's put on a little weight since the initial build (was 5 lbs 5.4 oz IIRC) but I don't think I'd change a thing about it. Currently weighing in at 5 lbs, 10 oz.

Pic or GTFO:

Also:
Originally Posted By hfrog355:
This $50 B-Nut now has me building another upper...which I can only pray will stay at just an upper and not another rifle.
View Quote
Fail
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a2 grip down to 55g without removing material from inside today.  Did a stipple job also.  WAY TO MUCH WORK LOL!  Had nothing to do though so it was fun and ended up decent feeling also.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#37]
minor PWD update: added all products currently sold by Stngr USA (12 rails, and a few other parts).

I should have my stock butt plate back from the cerakote guy soon...then I can finally post 'done' pics of my build...
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice! Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok guys, i got the hera polymer port door and rod on the scale today. It's 7 grams including the polymer rod and spring, 5 grams for just the door. That's lighter than anything else available. Now who wants to buy it for $10 shipped? Lol, unfortunately it's not compatible with my blackthorne polymer upper, none of the adjustable port doors are. And the plastic rod is a proprietary length, it can only be used with the hera door.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Your dedication to the cause is admirable. Data added.

I bought some nutty parts (anyone buying a Ti buffer retaining pin IS being nutty) for my build but I just couldn't justify spending much of anything on a part that can so easily be excluded from the build entirely. Lightest port door = no port door at all.  Of course, the data is very useful for anyone building a gun that they will use in SHTF etc where they'd like to have a port cover to keep debris outta the upper.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Your dedication to the cause is admirable. Data added.

I bought some nutty parts (anyone buying a Ti buffer retaining pin IS being nutty) for my build but I just couldn't justify spending much of anything on a part that can so easily be excluded from the build entirely. Lightest port door = no port door at all.  Of course, the data is very useful for anyone building a gun that they will use in SHTF etc where they'd like to have a port cover to keep debris outta the upper.
View Quote
I am here to help! :D I like having the port door, i think it is essential for reliability. If you don't believe me drop your finely tuned rifle into some mud without a door (or with it open). I just thought it was a cool idea to have the polymer rod, i was kinda hoping to be able to use it with my 416 door. But alas, it is too short! On the hera the back side of the pin is part of the door piece itself. The actual pin doesn't actually go all the way thru from the barrel side into the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#42]
when is fostech supposed to release the magnesium uppers?

I am having a hard time finding the original Magtech magnesium uppers
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Jwood562:

View Quote
Holy crap! Is this a new build or reincarnation of the existing one? Edging ever closer to that 3lb mark !

I'm looking forward to your pics! And jekbrown' s SBR too

I have a pencil/perm FH barrel on order since early April, after seeing your post on the industry forum I'm wondering if it will be this month.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#44]
The PWD just got more coverage via The Gun Collective's YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#45]
Originally Posted By Jwood562:

View Quote
Well the original mag tactical uppers are unobtanium now, FTW Coatings had the last ones. He was selling old stock, just like classic firearms was selling old stock mag tactical lowers. They told me they were gonna start selling them in fall. As of last month they said the forgings are done, they just have to coat and machine them. They said they were trying to fill all the echo trigger backorders. Which they have now.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: camojoe] [#46]
Magtech 3 for $99 deal  here.

New Fostech for $37 here.

edit- meant to quote Jwood
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By camojoe:
Magtech 3 for $99 deal  here.

New Fostech for $37 here.

edit- meant to quote Jwood
View Quote
We're talking about the uppers boss. Thanks for the links though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#48]
Originally Posted By DekNgo:
The PWD just got more coverage via The Gun Collective's YouTube channel.
View Quote
Well that's pretty cool.

Always trying to get the word out, efficiently...so I sent iraqvet8888 some info on the PWD, we'll see if they can help spread the gospel.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:00:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#49]
I thought I had posted the Elf 3gun trigger for the PWD but I can't find it. Getting old sucks! My official "U" weight is 59 grams (2.08 oz) w/o pins.
It's not the lightest but a very nice adjustable trigger and only a fraction of an ounce over the lightest on the database.

On my build, I left off the bottom plate and the lock screws which is no different than my RA140, for a slight weight reduction of 3 grams putting it at .197 oz. I did blue loc-tite the screws though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Anybody ever pick this up from you?

$10 shipped?
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top