Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#1]
Well i got a standard carbine buffer down to 22grams (.8oz) I have not shot it yet. I was shooting for .7oz not sure its worth the effort to remove another 3 grams. I could have made the slots slightly longer toward the bumper end and got there i suppose.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KingRollo:

Not odd. My preference. I like simplicity. Too much going on and that is a terrible spot for QD. I also wish someone could produce Tennalum receivers with the focus on being lightweight but look more simple instead of having so many machined in lines/divots.
View Quote

I agree with you 100%

I meant it's odd the direction they are taking. It will be interesting to see what they do with the BALIOS-lite down the road.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Anderson has a new low-mass BCG out:

Link to MFG page

BLUF:  9.4 oz (9.3888 mfg claim--rounding up for ease of calculations), 8620 nitrided carrier/9310 phosphated/MPI bolt, $190 MSRP ($175ish street price maybe?)
View Quote

http://www.righttobear.com/Anderson-Lightweight-Complete-M16-Carrier-Group-p/b2-k630-n01.htm
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#4]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:

http://www.righttobear.com/Anderson-Lightweight-Complete-M16-Carrier-Group-p/b2-k630-n01.htm
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
Anderson has a new low-mass BCG out:

Link to MFG page

BLUF:  9.4 oz (9.3888 mfg claim--rounding up for ease of calculations), 8620 nitrided carrier/9310 phosphated/MPI bolt, $190 MSRP ($175ish street price maybe?)

Are these forward assist compatible? Doesn't look like it, but the pics I am seeing are kinda crappy low/res, so it's hard to be 100% certain. Anyone know? They are in the database, but I'm leaving that field as a ? for now...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Are these forward assist compatible? Doesn't look like it, but the pics I am seeing are kinda crappy low/res, so it's hard to be 100% certain. Anyone know? They are in the database, but I'm leaving that field as a ? for now...
View Quote

No, there are no forward assist serrations. Forward assist is unnecessary anyways.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Well i got a standard carbine buffer down to 22grams (.8oz) I have not shot it yet. I was shooting for .7oz not sure its worth the effort to remove another 3 grams. I could have made the slots slightly longer toward the bumper end and got there i suppose.
http://i.imgur.com/ggMN11C.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UGOtzvm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cYTJtef.jpg
View Quote

Nice! Just let me know where to send my empty buffer for this service. Seriously
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]
No, there are no forward assist serrations. Forward assist is unnecessary anyways.
View Quote

that may be true, but it's still a characteristic tracked in the database for informational purposes. Some consumers do insist on having them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:05:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#8]
Some more images from our friends at Master of Arms on their adjustable titanium carrier. Apparently it's gonna be Ionbond tetrabond with brass weights, aluminum weights, and tungsten weights included. 3.98oz carrier only without weights. Hnnnggggg

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks so good!

I have the perfect buffer to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The "head" on the buffer could still lose some weight. I'm thinking you could drill / mill out some speed holes perpendicular to the length of the thing...Just go all the way through for a matching hole on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all this research OP!

Cheers Brother!
Wanderz
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
finally started adding bbl data to the PW Database. It'll take a few days to get all the fields filled out, but it's coming along. Data includes length, gas block size, chrome lined/not, bbl material, gas system length, twist, rifling method, fluted, and chamber spec. Starting to come together. After this, the real monumental task (doing the same kind of thing for the rails tab!) is next. whoa nelly, that's gonna take awhile.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm finally ready for an optic or sights for my ultra light build.

Took off my RMR with larue mount.

I have looked at the spread sheet and have a couple questions.

The shield rds leads the way at 0.5oz but how much do the risers and mount weigh?

I have never heard of the MFT folding sights, any cons to them? Pros?

I thought I was good on getting the bobro low riders at 1.7oz for the pair but if there is a lighter and good alternative I am all ears.

I am trying to get the gun in at 3.5lbs with optics.

Almost there
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jwood562:

The shield rds leads the way at 0.5oz but how much do the risers and mount weigh?

I thought I was good on getting the bobro low riders at 1.7oz for the pair but if there is a lighter and good alternative I am all ears.

Almost there
View Quote

I just ordered the polymer version of the Shield (SMS) with risers and mount.  I'll get a weight once they arrive (coming from England, so it will have to clear customs).
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#15]
Can't wait to see your data on the shield parts, especially the mount, which sounds kinda hokey. Stacked polymer mounts? If they hold zero, it's all good, I just wish they had a mount that was designed from the ground up to work with AR type guns. The RMS is still the direction I plan to go. Hella light.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Jek thank you for the spreadsheet, its very cool. Im sure im not the only one who is thrilled to have it available.

On a side note i got an email from AIM last week notifying me the nitride lightweight bcg was back in stock. I really didn't need it but i had a RCA adjustable gas key in my parts bin and figured they would make a great combo. Im glad i went with adjustable gas on the carriers instead of an adjustable gas block. Once the carriers are tuned and set it allows me to drop any of them into the rifle and it will function without adjustment.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Jek thank you for the spreadsheet, its very cool. Im sure im not the only one who is thrilled to have it available.

On a side note i got an email from AIM last week notifying me the nitride lightweight bcg was back in stock. I really didn't need it but i had a RCA adjustable gas key in my parts bin and figured they would make a great combo. Im glad i went with adjustable gas on the carriers instead of an adjustable gas block. Once the carriers are tuned and set it allows me to drop any of them into the rifle and it will function without adjustment.

http://i.imgur.com/Kw5VSI6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/X1TCKPZ.jpg
View Quote

Picked up one of the BCG myself.  8.9oz if not already noted.  I got 8.55 a few times also.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#18]
Originally Posted By BIGHURT:

Picked up one of the BCG myself.  8.9oz if not already noted.  I got 8.55 a few times also.
View Quote

I'm consistently getting 249 grams (8.78oz) with the RCA adjustable key on it. Feel dumb for not weighing it before but it should be relatively the same.

Also i noticed on the spreadsheet that the PSA full auto carrier is listed as 11.55oz. Mine is a premium with the chrome lining and its weighing 329 grams 11.60oz. Should we change it or is it close enough?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:14:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#19]
google says that 329g is 11.6051. I've got 3 digits to work with on the sheet format, so I'll update it to 11.605 for the PSA Premium. The non-premium variant may have a different weight, and we've had a separate listing for it since the database started.

YW for the spreadsheet BTW. It has been a lot of work, but I have an OCD issue that makes it satisfying....once a section is 'done', and highly irritating when it's not, so I'm compelled to keep after it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#20]
.05 ounces is within the margin of error for most scales.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:25:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SOCOM76] [#21]

Almost there
View Quote

I have Bobro sights as well, but at .04oz each, I'm almost certain that the eSights by Leitner Wise are the lightest available.

Leitner Wise eSights

Probably the best option for someone that is considering not using BUIS at all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:

I have Bobro sights as well, but at .04oz each, I'm almost certain that the eSights by Leitner Wise are the lightest available.

Leitner Wise eSights

Probably the best option for someone that is considering not using BUIS at all.
View Quote

The Leitner-Wise wise sights are non adjustable so good look shooting through those. The Bobro sights are the lightest on the market currently.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Any updates on that kmr barrel nut that was posted a few pages back ? Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:54:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jwood562] [#24]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

The Leitner-Wise wise sights are non adjustable so good look shooting through those. The Bobro sights are the lightest on the market currently.
View Quote

What about the MFT sights? The spread sheet shows them lighter.

I do really like the look and feel of the bobros though. Might just pick them up now while I have the chance.

***edit, just saw the spread sheet shows the MFTs as crap quality. Bobros it is then***
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Tempaccess:
Any updates on that kmr barrel nut that was posted a few pages back ? Thanks again
View Quote

Yes please
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tempaccess:
View Quote

I'm in for another one, but if they don't surface, no big deal. The aluminum nut that I have is .65oz, which is about 7 grams less than the titanium nut. Not a game changer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:

I'm in for another one, but if they don't surface, no big deal. The aluminum nut that I have is .65oz, which is about 7 grams less than the titanium nut. Not a game changer.
View Quote

Did the guy who was trying to get the aluminum ones made give an estimated weight?

Where did you get yours from?

I know it sounds obsurd but I am chasing every gram of weight loss as I am trying to get in under 3.5lbs complete and the last few ounces are a beeeotch to lose
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#28]

I know it sounds obsurd but I am chasing every gram of weight loss as I am trying to get in under 3.5lbs complete and the last few ounces are a beeeotch to lose
View Quote
Then you need to ditch the KMR.  Clark carbon fiber is the lightest.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
View Quote

Ugly and lacks features such as keymod or mlok.

Brigand arms is lighter than kmr but also lacks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Your point?  He said he's chasing grams.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I did say I was chasing grams but I chose the kmr because of its capabilities and lightweight.

I have to agree that that carbon weave one is very ugly.

In my previous post about this build I have always stated it will be on metal receivers and be functional so that it would allow me to add things later if needed. Plus I want it to look good too.

With my 9" kmr, titanium hardware and hopefully an aluminum barrel but I will be pretty close to the weight of the carbon braided one.

Thanks for all the input. I have been following this thread very closely. I have a few parts coming in this week and will finalize my lower.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:04:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#32]
View Quote

Evidence that Clark CF rails, complete with all mounting hardware etc. are lighter than Brigand Arms? Ugly or not, max utility or not, afaik their carbon weaved hand guards or the King of lightweight. They also come from the factory with an Al bbl nut...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:21:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KingRollo:

Not odd. My preference. I like simplicity. Too much going on and that is a terrible spot for QD. I also wish someone could produce Tennalum receivers with the focus on being lightweight but look more simple instead of having so many machined in lines/divots.
View Quote

Hello guys, just got into this lightweight AR building recently. While I have all the parts for the build, I am holding off for the upper and lower purchase because of one lead... Has anyone noticed the intro page for Master of Arms on Vertex ops website? ".....Lightweight 7075 Aluminum receivers and EVEN LIGHTER STRONGER 7095 Tennalum Upper and Lower Receivers."

I went ahead and emailed Vertex ops, and they said... IT IS NOT A TYPO. THEY ARE COMING! (I hope I can share this info here)  Further email exchange with Master of Arms revealed that the new 7095 Tennalum receivers will be very much lighter than their current Esoteric set. Of course, the Tennalum receivers will be more costly....maybe around what V7 charged for their 2055 set. I am guessing the Tennalum set will maintain the same form factor of their Esoteric set: No forward assist and no port door.

Really pumped for this! What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By tw0409:
What do you guys think?
View Quote

I think your post sounds a bit too "marketingy" but I guess we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:52:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#35]

Hello guys, just got into this lightweight AR building recently. While I have all the parts for the build, I am holding off for the upper and lower purchase because of one lead... Has anyone noticed the intro page for Master of Arms on Vertex ops website? ".....Lightweight 7075 Aluminum receivers and EVEN LIGHTER STRONGER 7095 Tennalum Upper and Lower Receivers."

I went ahead and emailed Vertex ops, and they said... IT IS NOT A TYPO. THEY ARE COMING! (I hope I can share this info here)  Further email exchange with Master of Arms revealed that the new 7095 Tennalum receivers will be very much lighter than their current Esoteric set. Of course, the Tennalum receivers will be more costly....maybe around what V7 charged for their 2055 set. I am guessing the Tennalum set will maintain the same form factor of their Esoteric set: No forward assist and no port door.

View Quote

It will be very similar to the esoteric. I believe they will be called arcane and have been working on getting it out for a while.

Some of us have known this for a while. I think there was a flyer they sent out a while back before they relaunched their new website that talked about this.  Remember, Master of Arms is the same as Next Intent Tactical but rebranded. In fact, I like what they're doing by coming out with these new lightweight products. They have found our niche and are rolling with it like V7.

Tennalum is the alloy that V7 has used for their Ultra Light Castle Night. It's actually much more expensive than 7075 and is much harder to machine. I believe I read somewhere that it is roughly 35 percent stronger weight to strength than 7075. That puts it in the strength realm of Grade 5 Ti. It's also much harder to come by and find. I'm hoping that MoA actually makes a carrier out of tennalum. Tennalum was actually designed specifically for the defense industry but hasn't really kicked off yet, with it's superior strength and corrosion resistance over 7075.

Props to them. I can't wait for the new Ti adjustable carrier among their new arcane receiver set. Also did you guys see that the esoteric upper has a roll pin so the charging handle doesn't ruin the receiver when it interfaces? Pretty neat.

All-in-all I really hope they deliver a superior product with their new name. I hope other companies start doing the tennalum thing as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Evidence that Clark CF rails, complete with all mounting hardware etc. are lighter than Brigand Arms? Ugly or not, max utility or not, afaik their carbon weaved hand guards or the King of lightweight. They also come from the factory with an Al bbl nut...
View All Quotes
To be honest I'd forgotten about Brigand Arms.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I dont see anything on vertex ops?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jwood562] [#38]

View Quote

Looking closely at their website it also states that the front rail section on some of their rails is not included in price or weight. Unless you buy the atlas version which is already heavier than the kmr. It also states that you cannot run BUIS on their front rail section. I'm thinking it has something to do with the height it sits at.

So if my numbers are correct my 9" kmr with titanium hardware comes in at 5.25oz. With a aluminum barrel nut it should be between 4.8-5.0 oz.

The 9" brigand comes it at 3.9oz and if I add their rail section it will be 4.5 oz and not able to host a front sight

I also have some custom rail work planned for it that should drop in a few grams (I actually have no idea how much it will save. It will be experimental weight savings as well as aesthetics to match the balios lite upper).

So yes the brigand does come in a few tenths lighter but also not able to host iron sights
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Did the guy who was trying to get the aluminum ones made give an estimated weight?

Where did you get yours from?

View Quote

Nope, he never gave an estimated weight, but it couldn't be too far off.

I got mine from a guy named Anibal out of Texas in 2014. Good guy, and member here, but he hasn't been around for a good minute. Last time he posted was mid-2016, but I emailed him a few days ago. So far, no response.

I bought two for $70 each. Ended up selling one, and the other is mounted on a BCM, behind a pinned 14.5" barrel.

Joel at V7 had a few (literally, one or two) prototypes in aluminum floating around in 2014, but he sold them to customers who heard about them. If enough people inquired, he might turn a few, but I doubt it. He hasn't released any new products in quite some time, and it looks like the bulk of his focus is on those gaudy receivers he's manufacturing. All due, but V7 is somewhat stale these days.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks socom,

So that one you have is not coming off anytime soon huh?

It was worth a shot.

I will just have to be patient and hopefully someone does a run of them. I have time since I am trying to get some work done to the kmr rail anyways.

I am content with finalizing my lower over the next couple days
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tw0409] [#41]

I dont see anything on vertex ops?
View Quote

ahrion,
Look at this page

Also, searching on the Web about 7095 Tennalum yields no info on that specific alloy. I then ask MoA about the detail. All they wanna disclose is that 7095 is more like a proprietary blend.  

Now, the Web only gives me something about Tennalum 7068.

Would 7095 Tennalum be even stronger than 7068 Tennalum ?!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Am I missing something? The link you posted shows a 6.8oz receiver out of 7075.

Are you saying they are planning a receiver out of this 7095 stuff? Will it be lighter or the same weight but stronger?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Am I missing something? The link you posted shows a 6.8oz receiver out of 7075.

Are you saying they are planning a receiver out of this 7095 stuff? Will it be lighter or the same weight but stronger?
View Quote

Stay on this page. Don't click on anything. read everything on the page and you will see the bold words...
From what I have been told, "You can guess if you would like...they are significantly lighter than the esoteric." I am not in any way affiliated with MoA. I am just very excited to see someone making a lighter receiver set than V7 or 2A, without going into polymer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I see it now. The iPhone mobile link was not showing it so I had to switch to desktop version.

Well let's see the weight of this thing already.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Stay on this page. Don't click on anything. read everything on the page and you will see the bold words...
From what I have been told, "You can guess if you would like...they are significantly lighter than the esoteric." I am not in any way affiliated with MoA. I am just very excited to see someone making a lighter receiver set than V7 or 2A, without going into polymer.
View Quote

Looks promising. Not a huge fan of V7 receivers, but Battle Arms and 2A Arms are arguably the best looking sets on the market with the edge going to 2A simply because they manufacture matching rails.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Jwood562:Looking closely at their website it also states that the front rail section on some of their rails is not included in price or weight. Unless you buy the atlas version which is already heavier than the kmr. It also states that you cannot run BUIS on their front rail section. I'm thinking it has something to do with the height it sits at.

So if my numbers are correct my 9" kmr with titanium hardware comes in at 5.25oz. With a aluminum barrel nut it should be between 4.8-5.0 oz.

The 9" brigand comes it at 3.9oz and if I add their rail section it will be 4.5 oz and not able to host a front sight

I also have some custom rail work planned for it that should drop in a few grams (I actually have no idea how much it will save. It will be experimental weight savings as well as aesthetics to match the balios lite upper).

So yes the brigand does come in a few tenths lighter but also not able to host iron sights
View Quote

Extra rail segments are optional, which is why they don't include them in their reported weights/prices. If rail customization is in the cards, one could do the same thing to the Brigand Atlas. I'm not trying to sell anything, I have no dog in the fight either way. If I was going to run a iron front sight, I'd prolly roll with the KMR also.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah it's hard to compare apples to apples in this line of work with so many variations of rails. Picatinny, keymod, m-lok, tubes etc etc

I added the comment of adding the front rail because I am running irons. So I wanted to compare rails that could host a front iron sight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:48:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#48]
Got an ERGO Swift grip. 2.5oz

Did this.

Started by cutting the excess plastic off the bottom of the grip. Ground out the inside to thin out the very thick plastic. Thinnest place is 1/8" thick still.

Took off some excess material from the "out of sight" areas. In my opinion, i accomplished this without weakening the structural integrity of the grip.

The above steps resulted in a .5oz weight loss. 2oz.

Im very happy with the feel of this grip the angle might allow me to run a BAD LBS. I have one on the way to try out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Got an ERGO Swift grip.....
View Quote

thnx for info and pix. i like it. will do one myself. nice!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#50]
yeah, I'm going to try something along those lines with a gen 2 K grip. Prolly cerakote it when done so it's pretty.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top