Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2014 7:39:53 AM EDT
Is there any reason to use a BCM bcg over a Rainier other than names sake? What makes the BCM worth $60 more than the Rainier? The specs seem to be same between the two.

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to bash BCM or make this a typical "VS"  thread. I would just like to know if I'm missing something here quality wise.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
History of reliability. But I would use a Raineir Arms BCG or a Aim surplus BCG for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
BCM pressure tests their bolts.  Rainier does not.

Pricewise, BCM tends to dwell on being expensive.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

How I missed that I don't know. I'm running a Rainier bcg in my bcm upper. I picked it up when they were $100.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
BCM probably offers the more heavily used BCG in the industry. They are proven to work, last, and be reliable no matter what. Lots of torture tests out there on BCM's products. I've always relied on them and they have never failed me. QC is top notch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
The need for pressure testing has been debated here frequently over the past year or two.   It'll decrease the bolts lifespan,  but give reassurance on its ability to hold up to stress. I use both.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I've read some of those threads. I'm not really worried about HP on the bolt, hell my RRA bcg has lasted almost 5k rounds and their junk
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've read some of those threads. I'm not really worried about HP on the bolt, hell my RRA bcg has lasted almost 5k rounds and their junk
View Quote

It would seem in the AR world that if something about and item could possibly be a little better but is not done to it that automatically qualifies it as junk. I wonder how many guys have spent double or triple on rifles when a lesser "junk" rifle would have suited their needs and lasted them a lifetime all because some elitist colored their opinion on things.
Any way. I would trust a Rainier bcg no problem. They are a good company that will stand behind what they sell. Im waiting on one of their bcgs to come back into stock myself. I run bcm ATM. Bcm is bcm and that's why its in my rifle but I can't justify the cost for the amount I get to shoot these day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
My Rainier Thunderbolt was HP tested, looks like they have dropped them altogether now

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]
The gas key on the rainier is MIM.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Given that they spec everything out on the description for the BCG, I kind of doubt that.  I'll message the guys at Rainier to pop in this thread.  I've had 2 of their complete uppers including BCG that have run 1000%.  Plus, they have a lifetime warranty on the BCG

Gas key:
Hard Chrome lined gas tube as per Mil-Spec
Bolts installed to proper torque
Staking on both sides of both bolts
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Elaborate on the "pressure testing".  Is this the same concept as proofing a firearm?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Rainier Thunderbolt was HP tested, looks like they have dropped them altogether now  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.   I had one of those Thunderbolts, and it was HPT.  It seems like HPT is losing favorability in the industry.  Trends change all the time though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Elaborate on the "pressure testing".  Is this the same concept as proofing a firearm?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exact same concept.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Just buy a Stag M16 carrier w/MP/HP bolt. $125.00
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Given that they spec everything out on the description for the BCG, I kind of doubt that.  I'll message the guys at Rainier to pop in this thread.  I've had 2 of their complete uppers including BCG that have run 1000%.  Plus, they have a lifetime warranty on the BCG

Gas key:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas key:

I agree they are great bolts.  I have 4 of them.  I certainly could be wrong.  I just thought that these were injection marks as they look similar to injection marks on other known MIM parts I have had.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:03:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree they are great bolts.  I have 4 of them.  I certainly could be wrong.  I just thought that these were injection marks as they look similar to injection marks on other known MIM parts I have had.

http://i.imgur.com/vCUHDWD.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas key:

http://i.imgur.com/vCUHDWD.jpg

Huh.  I'll pull mine and see if it has a similar mark.  I did post in the Rainier forum so they should hopefully pop in with an answer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I assumed they were MIM as well. Shouldn't be a huge deal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You are correct.   I had one of those Thunderbolts, and it was HPT.  It seems like HPT is losing favorability in the industry.  Trends change all the time though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

I like the Thunderbolt.  I wanted to buy more of them.  I wonder if Denny has any, I haven't been to that site in nearly a year
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the Standard Phosphate BCG from Rainier. It is HP and MP tested. So to say that aren't tested is incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have the Standard Phosphate BCG from Rainier. It is HP and MP tested. So to say that aren't tested is incorrect.
View Quote

Is the bolt marked HPT?

I bought one last week when they were still $99, wasn't listed as HPT, received it Friday and the bolt only has the MPI marking. Makes no difference to me, as was mentioned earlier, they have a lifetime guarantee on their BCG's under normal use, and Rainier's quality is top shelf.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#21]
HPT isn't listed in their specs, and all my recent Rainier BCGs are marked MPI only.  If they are batch testing, you may have received that bolt.  Its also possible that they are receiving bolts from multiple sources, and some are hpt and some aren't.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm NOT saying this is a bad idea, but FWIW I have two of those BCGs and the key staking as received was ho-hum at best.  Other than that they seem top notch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm NOT saying this is a bad idea, but FWIW I have two of those BCGs and the key staking as received was ho-hum at best.  Other than that they seem top notch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staking ain't great but it's an easy fix and no big logo's.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a Rainer arms $99 bcg as well. It was only mpi tested, the staking was nothing to write home about, and the firing pin looked weak compared to my colt, PSA, and spikes. I've shot about 150 rounds so far with no problems.

But I don't consider it "top shelf". Top shelf implies that they went above and beyond to make this the best bcg you can get. Instead of "top shelf" let's call these "best value". Because you get a good bcg with a lifetime warranty for only 99 bucks
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had no issues with my Rainier BCG.

Dave N
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Meh, just get a LMT bolt assy and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is wrong with parts made using MIM process?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Exactly....

On our bolts we offer a limited lifetime warranty...we are so confident in our Rainier Arms BCG we offer them with a limited lifetime warranty. So if at anytime your Rainier Arms BCG breaks on your during normal use (intentional abuse & gas key wear not included) we will replace it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But I don't consider it "top shelf". Top shelf implies that they went above and beyond to make this the best bcg you can get. Instead of "top shelf" let's call these "best value". Because you get a good bcg with a lifetime warranty for only 99 bucks

Exactly....

On our bolts we offer a limited lifetime warranty...we are so confident in our Rainier Arms BCG we offer them with a limited lifetime warranty. So if at anytime your Rainier Arms BCG breaks on your during normal use (intentional abuse & gas key wear not included) we will replace it.

Is the key MIM?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MIM is more prone to breaking than something machined from a solid piece of metal. I try to avoid it when I can.

However, I had a molded carrier key on one of my bolts, it never broke.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top