BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
So is the deal they made to be able to use colts TDP to keep ARs off the civy market no longer in effect?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot where do we buy them
View Quote

all I want know.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I'm in.....................
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So is the deal they made to be able to use colts TDP to keep ARs off the civy market no longer in effect?
View Quote

Preliminarily, I've heard it reported that it is still a no-no for FN to use the TDP to produce and market AR's to civilians.  Basically, the parts that go in the military rifles better not be the same parts that go into the civilian rifles.

How all of this is going to work is a mystery to me.  

All of the details will likely start to leak out sometime after SHOT.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm definitely in for one. A stripped lower would be nice.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Being from Columbia, SC I am really pumped about this.  Can't wait until they are available.  Also, if it comes with the carry handle and standard M4 stock instead of the MBUS and rogers stock like the new Colts... that is a huge + IMO.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh God, please make an HBAR....
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in!  Can't wait
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Preliminarily, I've heard it reported that it is still a no-no for FN to use the TDP to produce and market AR's to civilians.  Basically, the parts that go in the military rifles better not be the same parts that go into the civilian rifles.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is TDP?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Technical data package. TDP
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#11]
"old" FNs are still used in USAF BMT and my base still has some. But the M4s are 14.5 Colt.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't seen this brought up yet but the TDP is used by FNMI under license from Colt / Army. But these rifles are being produced by FNH. Are they going to be made in the same plant as FNMI? Are the SCAR's made at FNMI or a different location?

William
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wonder if the price will be competitive with the Colt rifles.
View Quote

Cheaper... They already outbid em once.

I'm just kiddin... But really, it'd be nice if they are!
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#16]
This, Maybe to SBR.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't seen this brought up yet but the TDP is used by FNMI under license from Colt / Army. But these rifles are being produced by FNH. Are they going to be made in the same plant as FNMI? Are the SCAR's made at FNMI or a different location?

William
View Quote

There is speculation that they will indeed procure the parts from sources other than their military line.  If that's the case, the civilian FN you are buying is not going to have the same parts as a FN that goes to the military.  I'm sure FN is not interested in being sued, so they must have some work around in place.

If this ends up being the case, I don't see it as a big deal as long as FN is forthcoming about the specs, materials, testing, etc. on their civilian line.

I really can't see FN putting out anything less than a top quality rifle even if the parts are coming from somewhere else.

As I said before, I think we will start to get the facts after SHOT when the rifles start making it to distributors.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You can already own one with the right PSA parts.....just without the FN rollmark.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Subscribed for when someone finds these for sale. And that roll mark.... sweet...
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't wait...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/new-fnh-usa-fn-15-modern-sporting-rifles/

From a press release:

INSERT QUOTE TEXT(McLean, VA – November 1, 2013) FNH USA, LLC is pleased to announce the
launch of a brand-new product line for 2014, the FN 15™ family of modern
sporting rifles. The company will unveil the first two variants, the FN
15™ Carbine and the FN 15™ Rifle, at NSSF’s annual SHOT Show in January
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#21]
The white coloring is gayyyyuy
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed!! I hope they drop that and just make that the rollmark on the left side, or...rollmark it like their M16's...pretty please FN!!

William
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
I can not stand the current fad by all the manufacturers to laser engrave all the nonsense on virtually every part of the firearm. Side of the lower top of the upper, side of the carry handle, top of the charging handle....  Just roll mark the damn side of the lower.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can not stand the current fad by all the manufacturers to laser engrave all the nonsense on virtually every part of the firearm. Side of the lower top of the upper, side of the carry handle, top of the charging handle....  Just roll mark the damn side of the lower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Love a bare lower.

3 pages and I fail to see anyone point out that in another thread it is stated that the barrels are button rifled and not double chrome cold hammer forged.  The ugly laser engraving & button rifled barrel = absolutely no interest from me.  Change that and I am all over it.

You firearm manufacturers NEED TO HIRE MARKETING PEOPLE WHO ARE GUN GUYS and not apparently the fruity types you utilize.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can't wait...
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/new-fnh-usa-fn-15-modern-sporting-rifles/

From a press release:
INSERT QUOTE TEXT(McLean, VA – November 1, 2013) FNH USA, LLC is pleased to announce the launch of a brand-new product line for 2014, the FN 15™ family of modern sporting rifles. The company will unveil the first two variants, the FN 15™ Carbine and the FN 15™ Rifle, at NSSF’s annual SHOT Show in January 2014.

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Image-1-FN-15-Carbine-900x330.jpg

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Image-2-FN-15-Rifle-900x330.jpg  

I’m in for some of these ‘stuck in the past” rifles…
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

3 pages and I fail to see anyone point out that in another thread it is stated that the barrels are button rifled and not double chrome cold hammer forged.  The ugly laser engraving & button rifled barrel = absolutely no interest from me.  Change that and I am all over it.

You firearm manufacturers NEED TO HIRE MARKETING PEOPLE WHO ARE GUN GUYS and not apparently the fruity types you utilize.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double chrome? Hammer Forged? We talking 249 / 240 barrels here or M16 / M4? It looks like FN is making these the same way as the M16's most of us on this board we were issued, I have no problem with that at all.

Now the marketing people, you're right on the money with that!!

William
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just reading the magazine article about them while in the supermarket line.  Looks like thats going to be the only logo on them so far.  There was no logo engraving on the other side.  Hopefully that changes during production.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Drop the laser engraving and button rifling and I'd consider picking up a 20" model.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm perfectly content with a button rifled barrel, especially considering it's made by FN.

The white logo, while a bit large, isn't a deal breaker. It's probably just paint fill and could be removed or covered over.

Now I wonder, If FN was the last manufacturer of M16 rifles for the military, and had the TDP, would it be safe to assume their FN15 rifle would be built to the same TDP (except for the fire controls and sear pin hole), as an M16?

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm perfectly content with a button rifled barrel, especially considering it's made by FN.
The white logo, while a bit large, isn't a deal breaker. It's probably just paint fill and could be removed or covered over.

Now I wonder, If FN was the last manufacturer of M16 rifles for the military, and had the TDP, would it be safe to assume their FN15 rifle would be built to the same TDP (except for the fire controls and sear pin hole), as an M16?  
View Quote

I don't know why they wouldn't use their chf barrels. Last I heard they had to get most of the parts made for them to get around not being able to use the tdp. It seems that the best choice would be to use chf barrels because the military barrels are button rifled they could get away with using them.

The tdp also says they can't make parts for civilian rifles on the same machines that make the military parts. I couldn't see them making another line to make civilian button rifled barrels just for these. If they really are button rifled I wouldn't be surprised if the complete rifle was built by another company for them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Remember who ever does the sub contracting for them is gonna make parts to FNs specs and wants you could have 1 contractor say making parts for multiple manufacturers at different materials and quality standards set by the end user/buyer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Double chrome? Hammer Forged? We talking 249 / 240 barrels here or M16 / M4? It looks like FN is making these the same way as the M16's most of us on this board we were issued, I have no problem with that at all.

William
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

William

+1

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm curious to see exactly what they come out with.  If it is just an M4gery with a detachable carry handle for ~$1000...Colt pretty much owns that segment (the as close to milspec as it gets M4gery segment).  If they come out with M16A2s and A4s, they will be serving a new market segment, but a really small one.  

The average AR owner (even the average soldier who may have carried one) doesn't know who FN is.  I think that may doom their AR foray to failure, nobody knows they are worth it. All they know is expensive Colt, uber-expensive Noveske and budget DPMS/RRA/Bushmaster etc.
View Quote

Expensive Colt, you're kidding right? The Colt LE6920 M4 carbine, or "M4gery" as you call it can be had for $1,048 or cheaper. Have you looked at lower end AR prices? DPMS, Windham, Bshmaster, RRA are more expensive than Colt.

Since you seem to have no clue, FN is very well known in the military, law enforcement, and the civilian market. FN has been making M16's along with many other weapons for the military for years. If FN were to release an M16A4 type rifle, it would serve a huge market and be a great selling rifle. Just like their SCAR, an A4 would be a big seller.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you still have any of the old FNs at your reserve center?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What branch of the military were you in?

Army since '92, still in the Nat. Guard.

Do you still have any of the old FNs at your reserve center?

I know my buddies reserve center here in IN does.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I don't know why they wouldn't use their chf barrels. Last I heard they had to get most of the parts made for them to get around not being able to use the tdp. It seems that the best choice would be to use chf barrels because the military barrels are button rifled they could get away with using them.

The tdp also says they can't make parts for civilian rifles on the same machines that make the military parts. I couldn't see them making another line to make civilian button rifled barrels just for these. If they really are button rifled I wouldn't be surprised if the complete rifle was built by another company for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And where did you get all your knowledge about this?

Does FN still make m16 rifles for the military in such a large amount thus tieing up their machinery 100% of the time?

How did Colt manage to build all of their civilian rifles in house while under a military contract?

I'm not convinced you know what you're talking about, so unless you can provide proof to back up you claims I'm dismissing your comments as nothing more than opinion, rumor, and conjecture.

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And where did you get all your knowledge about this?   Does FN still make m16 rifles for the military in such a large amount thus tieing up their machinery 100% of the time?
How did Colt manage to build all of their civilian rifles in house while under a military contract?
I'm not convinced you know what you're talking about, so unless you can provide proof to back up you claims I'm dismissing your comments as nothing more than opinion, rumor, and conjecture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And where did you get all your knowledge about this?   Does FN still make m16 rifles for the military in such a large amount thus tieing up their machinery 100% of the time?

I don't think you are understanding his post.  It's not a matter of FN having production capability, it has to do with the legal aspects of their use of the TDP.

Colt can (and does) make civilian AR's on the same line as the military guns because it's Colt's intellectual property.  If FN does that, it would appear that they would be using Colt's IP to produce and sell a civilian AR which could be a breach of their agreement when they decided to use the TDP to produce military rifles.  I don't believe that FN wants to be sued.

At this point, everything is opinion, rumor, and conjecture.  That's why I've suggested all along that we will likely start to get some better facts after SHOT and the guns are actually released to distributors.

But, I'm willing to bet that the FN you buy at the gun store is not going to be produced on the same line with the same parts that go into the military rifles.  And, frankly, that might not be a big deal to most folks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#38]
PaLEOjd
Quoted:
I'm curious to see exactly what they come out with. If it is just an M4gery with a detachable carry handle for ~$1000...Colt pretty much owns that segment (the as close to milspec as it gets M4gery segment). If they come out with M16A2s and A4s, they will be serving a new market segment, but a really small one.

The average AR owner (even the average soldier who may have carried one) doesn't know who FN is. I think that may doom their AR foray to failure, nobody knows they are worth it. All they know is expensive Colt, uber-expensive Noveske and budget DPMS/RRA/Bushmaster etc.
View Quote

Expensive Colt, you're kidding right? The Colt LE6920 M4 carbine, or "M4gery" as you call it can be had for $1,048 or cheaper. Have you looked at lower end AR prices? DPMS, Windham, Bshmaster, RRA are more expensive than Colt.

Since you seem to have no clue, FN is very well known in the military, law enforcement, and the civilian market. FN has been making M16's along with many other weapons for the military for years. If FN were to release an M16A4 type rifle, it would serve a huge market and be a great selling rifle. Just like their SCAR, an A4 would be a big seller.
View Quote

I was speaking from the perspective of he typical AR buyer, not my own (like I said in my post).  I am well aware of who FN is and what they make from over 20 years in the Army, but mostly from really being into guns as a hobby.  The average soldier/LEO isn't into guns that much.  Before learning about ARs specifically, I had no clue about the different AR brands and what made them different from my issued M4, they all looked the same.  I am also well-aware that the venerable 6920 can be had for the same or less cost than other lesser brands.  Most AR buyers don't know that, hence the endless threads on here about "should I buy the Stag or the Bushmaster?"

The A4 configuration is a good offering, I agree.  And the lower end ARs are all cheaper than the 9620 when in the standard configuration w/o any added accessories.

I really like FN, from a marketing perspective I don't see how a basic M4 with carry handle and not any uber-tacticool accessories at Colt prices is going to fare in today's crowded AR marketplace.  We'll see, it will be interesting.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was speaking from the perspective of he typical AR buyer, not my own (like I said in my post).  I am well aware of who FN is and what they make from over 20 years in the Army, but mostly from really being into guns as a hobby.  The average soldier/LEO isn't into guns that much.  Before learning about ARs specifically, I had no clue about the different AR brands and what made them different from my issued M4, they all looked the same.  I am also well-aware that the venerable 6920 can be had for the same or less cost than other lesser brands.  Most AR buyers don't know that, hence the endless threads on here about "should I buy the Stag or the Bushmaster?"

The A4 configuration is a good offering, I agree.  And the lower end ARs are all cheaper than the 9620 when in the standard configuration w/o any added accessories.

I really like FN, from a marketing perspective I don't see how a basic M4 with carry handle and not any uber-tacticool accessories at Colt prices is going to fare in today's crowded AR marketplace.  We'll see, it will be interesting.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
PaLEOjd
Quoted:
I'm curious to see exactly what they come out with. If it is just an M4gery with a detachable carry handle for ~$1000...Colt pretty much owns that segment (the as close to milspec as it gets M4gery segment). If they come out with M16A2s and A4s, they will be serving a new market segment, but a really small one.

The average AR owner (even the average soldier who may have carried one) doesn't know who FN is. I think that may doom their AR foray to failure, nobody knows they are worth it. All they know is expensive Colt, uber-expensive Noveske and budget DPMS/RRA/Bushmaster etc.

Like with Colt, it will appeal to those who want one of their brand because of their brand.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't think you are understanding his post.  It's not a matter of FN having production capability, it has to do with the legal aspects of their use of the TDP.

Colt can (and does) make civilian AR's on the same line as the military guns because it's Colt's intellectual property.  If FN does that, it would appear that they would be using Colt's IP to produce and sell a civilian AR which could be a breach of their agreement when they decided to use the TDP to produce military rifles.  I don't believe that FN wants to be sued.

At this point, everything is opinion, rumor, and conjecture.  That's why I've suggested all along that we will likely start to get some better facts after SHOT and the guns are actually released to distributors.

But, I'm willing to bet that the FN you buy at the gun store is not going to be produced on the same line with the same parts that go into the military rifles.  And, frankly, that might not be a big deal to most folks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I was saying was based off of common knowledge that up to this point fn wasn't able to produce ars for the civilian market because of colt owning the tdp.

FN could have built a rifle that is more useful to me if they would have used chf barrels on them. They are made using a completely process than they use on the military contract barrels so they wouldn't be using the tdp. Not that their cut rifled barrels aren't good barrels but I don't think they would invest in the machines to make a 3rd line to make barrels when they could use the equipment they already have and already make ar barrels on.

I am just glad fn is making ars finally, that's why I started this thread so I could find out more and discuss them. I will be picking up at least a lower maybe a complete rifle when we find out more.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#41]
FN's description on their web site isn't really heavy on the specs for these rifles, I hope they go into more detail at the SHOT show.

Getting them to market and in dealer's stores hopefully happens rather quickly.

Didn't Colt introduce their AR15a4 at last years SHOT show? And still nowhere to be found a year later.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe CHF barrels will be a line extension after they go through the initial rush from the "shut up and take my money, I need to have this right now" crowd dies down.  It would keep the buzz going about the brand on the news stands, in the forums, and in the gun-shops a while longer...

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Honestly their standard button broached barrels are great. That is what we use for our "LE" line of barrels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe CHF barrels will be a line extension after they go through the initial rush from the "shut up and take my money, I need to have this right now" crowd dies down.  It would keep the buzz going about the brand on the news stands, in the forums, and in the gun-shops a while longer...

Honestly their standard button broached barrels are great. That is what we use for our "LE" line of barrels.

Yes but if they would market them with CHF at the same price that we've seen links too then they probably wouldn't be able to keep up with demand...people like them and look for those CHF barrels. I mean good ol PSA can sell you a CHF *cough* FN complete upper for $450!
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#46]
I could care less about whatever barrel they come with because the first thing I'm going to do is rebarrel it to a middy Spikes/FN CHF barrel and free float handguard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been very happy with my ST LE Barrel - 16" middy...

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did not know that.  I am looking for one of your 11.5" uppers right now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top